DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Character that changed most in your eyes...

t.shaleva

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which character did you hate at the beginning and then started to like/love (or the other way around)?

Hey! So I was recently thikning about how much my opinion about Nynaeve changed throughout the books and then I realized that she was not the only character that I grew to like a lot more in the later books.

For example, I didn't like Moiraine at all during the first books...I also didn't particulary like Matt in the first two books but now he's my favorite character...with Egwene it's the same.

Of course, the opposite thing happened as well. Gawyn, for example, seemed really sweet, nice and humble in the first books and now...UGHH!!!

So what about you guys? You can also add the moment that changed your opinion about that character. For me, for example, for Nynaeve it was when she started to act more mature and accept that her opinion is not always the right one and when she defended Matt before Tuon in tGS :)

I voted Nynaeve. She was one of my least favorite characters throughout the first few books. She was bossy, arrogant, and childish even though she viewed herself as very wise and mature. Now she is by far my favorite female character. She has grown tremendously and gotten rid of the traits I didn't like (bossy and childish) leaving all the great traits about her (strong, intelligent, capable, brave, loyal, and able to think for herself).

Gawyn is another that has changed for me. I liked him in the first couple of books. He was charming, self deprecating, and had a good sense of humor. Then the tower split and he heard Morgase was dead and he very quickly become the biggest tool in the series. He is easily the character that annoys me the most, even outdoing Egwene, which is an impressive accomplishment.

Mat was kind of an irritating paranoid whiner without much to do the first couple of books until tDR were he started his voyage to becoming the biggest ball of awesome ever.

Most of my opinions on the other characters have stayed pretty consistent throughout the books.

I have to talk about Rand, Mat and Nynaeve in this really cool topic. ... Rand's journey is the main story itself (imo) so of course that is an obvious pick.

Mat and Nyn though...what can I say: Two characters that REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY annoyed me early on that are now easily two of my favorites.

Nyn, I mean - is it possible to be inlove with a fictional charater, lol? ')

- Fish

I voted Aviendha because I didn't notice Nynaeve was an option. I despised Nynaeve in the beginning when all she did was bully people, but she's matured incredibly and is now one of the best-written and most likeable female characters.

I voted Egwene. Actually, I didn't care much for her either way at the beginning, but starting from TDR my dislike for her grew. Then, in KoD, she took a complete 180 for me. Honey in the Tea is one of my favorite chapters.

Without going into ToM spoilers, though, I have to say that this change has now been somewhat undone, at least for me.

Mat was kind of an irritating paranoid whiner without much to do the first couple of books until tDR were he started his voyage to becoming the biggest ball of awesome ever.

Most of my opinions on the other characters have stayed pretty consistent throughout the books.

I completely agree about Mat being an "irritating paranoid whiner" at the beggining :D but really when he started traveling on his own (at least not with Perrin or Rand) his awesomeness started to shine!

I see I forgot to put Min up there but she is also one that changed for me. Not that we saw her much in the first books but when she started shadowing Rand that's when I started liking her/noticing her more.

And Fish

Nyn, I mean - is it possible to be inlove with a fictional charater, lol? ')

- Fish

don't worry your secret is safe with us :D

Mine has to be moiraine. In TEoTW, i though she was brill, then i started to dislike her in TDR. Then i really disliked her in TSR with her arogence then listening in on rand and TFoH untill she sacrifices her self for rand then I just couldn't not like her for doing something like that..

i'm just saying do you dislike a charater when they either annoy a charater you like more or do something bad to that charater, such as Mat and and the three wonder girls. I have always really like all three wonder girls and still do but i loved mat way more and i got annoyed at the wonder girls in... um i think it was LoC when they totally didn't see Mats assumeness and just thought he was a scroundral and they disrepected him and... well what more do i need to say like.. etc.. so when they were gits towards Mat i found it harder to like them...do you get what i mean like??

A nice poll. But you have two very different questions in the thread subject and in the poll question itself. The character that changed most in my eyes is Rand. I always liked him but he definitely changed the most. Nobody else is even close IMO. the character who I did not like in the beginning and now really like is Mat. Just about all he did in the first two books was whine. From DR on he rocks. Another one is Egwene. I liked her for quite a while but in the latter books her character is a real mess. It's clear that RJ and BS tried to make her a strong and heroic figure but somehow they managed to turn her into a manipulative, hypocritical, my way or the high way perfect Aes Sedai. I don't hate her but she definitely needs some fixing.

I'm always surprised when people say Nyn has changed lots. To me, she is one of the characters who has changed the least. I think it more her situation and the context of her behaviour that has changed.

Anyway I voted Mat. Couldn't stand him in the 1st 2 books. Egwene's a close second although I still don't like her and never have. Also, I always found her changes rather forced.

The Tairen Thief-Catcher Juilin started out as a highly respected self-confident character.

He was demoted to being a body guard for a couple of girls who totally disrespected him.

He and Thom are used then discarded.

Where is he now? Someplace with his "used to be royalty" girlfriend without a roof to call his own.

He should never have crossed paths with those girls. He could still be a respectable constable in Tear.

I voted other.

voted Mat, because I couldn't stand him in the first two books. Of course he was 'under the influence' for a lot of that, but still how it goes.

If I could vote for others...

Gawyn, because he was so nice and sound in the beginning.

Egwene, because I did actually like her the first half of the story.

Rand has kind of changed in every way possible.

That's true, I guess, but it feels like cheating.

Its not cheating if you get away with it...

- Fish

I didn't vote Rand because I really likes him up to book 6, and now I like him again, he wasn't like 180, more like a 360. So I voted for Nynaeve, which I thought to be the most annoying woman possible(that is before Faile showed up of course(noting her 0% vote!!)) But now she is one of my fav char.

I'm always surprised when people say Nyn has changed lots. To me, she is one of the characters who has changed the least. I think it more her situation and the context of her behaviour that has changed.

Anyway I voted Mat. Couldn't stand him in the 1st 2 books. Egwene's a close second although I still don't like her and never have. Also, I always found her changes rather forced.

I dont know. I voted Matt but Nynaeve is definetly one of the grils that changed the most. She's become most well balanced of the bunch.

Mat, I think, even more so than Nynaeve. Nyn had to learn to accept herself and accept others, which she has done and is far more likable for it, but reading Mat in the Eye of the World he is just a complete and utter muppet. He showed no indication of a desire to do anything except bunk off and play tricks. He started from much further behind than Nynaeve has, and so has come along much further over the same time period. Nynaeve at least had some sense of responsibility in the earlier books, even if she struggled to adapt to the changes in her life.

Archived