DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Post Your favorite Books

Davin Richmond

We all greatly enjoy the Wheel of Time series but I am curious of what other books/genres the Dragonmount community reads.

Post your favorite Wheel of Time book in the series and Your favorite Non-Wheel of Time book or book series

Mine is the Eye of the World and (most recently) Fable: The Balverine Order

We all greatly enjoy the Wheel of Time series but I am curious of what other books/genres the Dragonmount community reads.

Post your favorite Wheel of Time book in the series and Your favorite Non-Wheel of Time book or book series

Favorite WoT book - Shadow Rising

Favorite none WoT books - Harry Potter series

Others (a whole lot but a few of my favorites) - Percy Jackson series, David Eddings Sparhawk series, pretty much anything by Weis & Hickman, Stephen King's Dark Tower series

Favorite WoT book - Shadow Rising

Favorite none WoT books - Harry Potter series

Others (a whole lot but a few of my favorites) - Percy Jackson series, David Eddings Sparhawk series, pretty much anything by Weis & Hickman, Stephen King's Dark Tower series

Favorite WoT book ................. hmmmm........... so hard to pick, but probably TEoTW

What I read when I'm not reading WoT: David Eddings' Begariad, Malloreon, Elenium, and Tamuli, and Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga, Hairy Plopper (er...I mean Harry Potter), Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame, and his Keepers of the Hidden Ways as well as his Thousands Worlds universe. Dozens of other individual books by various authors, but these are my favorite series.

Can't choose a favourite WoT book, but aside from WoT I'm a massive fan of Terry Pratchet's Discworld. Other than that, I don't tend to be read any other series. Just the odd book here and there from different series that I never really get that into or stand alone books. Never found any series other than the two mentioned that has drawn me in well enough to make me go out there and get the rest, which I find rather sad. I have asked for the Harry Potter books for xmas so hopefully I'll be able to add those to the list soon.

Favorite WoT: Lord of Chaos, mostly for the climax. Rand's jack-in-the-box act at Dumai's Wells while Perrin's reluctant coalition comes over the hill with a 55 gallon drum of whoop-ass? Priceless.

Or maybe Rand Potter and the Sorceress' PMS? :biggrin:

This message board doesn't have enough disc space for me to list my non-WoT favorites, but I will say that I have been a devotee of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes since I was about 8 years old. In fact, if you want to know the truth about Holmes, look here:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dscott8/spock.htm

Just impossible to name a favorite WoT Book. or at least it is, if you read them all so often it becomes blurry as to what happens when exactly. I do recall to like Shadow rising and fires from heaven the most when i first read them, but now, ... not a clue.

Dune rocks (it's like the big mama of all SF-stories)

Song of Ice and Fire (really really good stuff, the plot is just so twisted you should always expect another favorite character to die the next page, it's reads like fireworks: just amazing and it's over to soon)

Used to read R.Feist to, was in fact my first contact with fantasy, read all of his books about Midkemia,... like 25 i should guess, probalily more by now. but after the first 15 the quality dropped enormously. the triology of 'The Empire' is still a good read though.

But the Grand finale, and these books could ALMOST dethrone WoT, are the books of 'the gentlemen bastards' by Scott lynch, a must for every fantasy fan.

and if you want to read some non-fantasy, but still awesome historical books, you should certainly read Robyn Young's 'KNIGHT' triology and Ken Follet's 'Pillars of The earth' and 'Bridge to heaven'. (Just admit those titles rock)

p.s.: Terry Goodkind, and Robin hobb,.. i don't know, there books are good, but never super. all of Tolkiens books are good to, except for 'the lord of the rings' which really isn't his masterpiece.

...It would be quite impossible to discribe every likeable book on a forum, you got the picture though.

For WoT, I love the three-book run of TGH through TSR. Until TGS and ToM came out, that was the last time there were two books in a row that I loved more than I was frustrated with.

non-WoT fantasy: all kinds of stuff. LOTR is my favorite and I love the Silmarillion. The original DL series plus all the dwarf related works under that umbrella. Pratchett - particularly Going Postal, Night Watch and Thud.

I'll also throw plugs in for some non-fantasy fiction: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan stuff, particularly Clear and Present Danger, Red Storm Rising and Executive Orders and Herman Wouk's Winds of War and War and Remembrance.

And a couple of non-fiction: Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning and The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. The latter is the life story of a woman who was a Christian that rescued Jews in Nazi-occupied Netherlands during WWII.

Plus any Zits comic books I can get my hands on. :D It's what (sort of) replaced Calvin and Hobbes for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Favorite WoT: The Shadow Rising. It's when the story really kicks off and Jordan started spreading out and weaving around all the plot points. The first 3 had a beginning, middle and end within the larger story. The Shadow rising starts the tradition of our characters problems not being solved by the end of the book. I like it.

Favorite other authors/books:

Terry Goodkind (yes, this is sacralige to most of you)

Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel's Legacy series)

J.K. Rowling

Stephen King (Dark Tower)

Jennifer Fallon (The Hythrun Chronicles)

The "1632" series.

Larry Correia ("Monster Hunter" series)

George RR Martin (although I'll not read another one of that series until he finishes it)

Non-fantasy:

Tom Clancy's earlier Jack Ryan books

WWII stuff like James Bradley's "Flyboys".

Auto and regular biography's of people who interest me.

Hi Twitchy;

I don't usually post in these just because we've all done soooo many ''Favorite Book'' Threads over the years but I wanted to post in this one because I have been thinking a bit differently on this subject recently. It seems like when I was younger I saw the series as a series of independent, seperate books and it seemed so very deeply easy to judge the books seperately.

Now days though, with them all (except for AMOL) out, grouped together and easily at hand on my bookshelf, I tend to view the WOT as a SINGLE story and each book as ''chapters'' - this is the way RJ always insisted the story SHOULD be viewed and now in the later days it becomes much more apparen to look at the story thas way. My point? Now it is much less easy to pick apart seperate books. I tend to remember the series as favorite ''scenes'' now and not so much as ''which book.''

Now, all that said, I STILL think ASR was probably the 'best' OVERALL book in the series but it all depends on what your criteria is and that varies from reader to reader.

As for NON-WOT Books, I enjoy King's Dark Tower, I like The Bible and I also enjoy GRRM - and a BUNCH of othehr stuff too.

(Like Dictionaries and Thesaureses - Im a Big Weirdo, I know, lol)

- Fish

I can't really say what's my favorite WoT book, because I've read the first 10 in Finnish, and in Finnish they split the first 10 books into 25 books D: So I'm not exactly sure what happened where.

Anyhow, my favorite non-WoT book series is the Forgotten Realms. Hard to choose a favorite book from there... I love so many of them... But I guess Erevis Cale -trilogy stands above the others... Or Elminster -saga...

I read mostly non-fiction these days, although I've recently started reading more fiction again.

Robert Caro's biography of Lyndon Johnson is biography the way biography should be done (I like my biographies like I like my fantasy--epic). I've read almost all of Ron Chernow's books, and they're all phenomenal. Any serious study of the South must begin with The Mind of the South by W.J. Cash.

I'm a great fan of Hemingway (see, it's not all ornate prose with me) and, more recently, Cormac McCarthy. I prefer McCarthy in his less Faulkner-esque moments, and I've never sat back and thought 'WOW' for another book the way I did after finishing The Blood Meridian.

I haven't read Ivanhoe or Shogun since I was very young, and they're both calling to me from my bookshelf.

I think my favorite WOT book is The Great Hunt, but I really think of the Wheel of Time as The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, and one really long fourth book that has yet to be finished. The title says it all--Jordan wrote a chase as well as anyone ever did. The "hunt" in The Great Hunt and, in particular, Rand's harrowing journey into Edmond's Field after the original Trolloc attack are on par with the frantic race to Rivendell in the first half of the Fellowship of the Ring.

I've read The Great Hunt more times than any other book in the series. When I went looking for my paperback WOT books (the first four) over Christmas while I was at my mom's, I managed to find only one half of The Eye of the World, but I came up with two and a half copies of The Great Hunt.

I can't pick a WoT book! Usually my favorite is whichever one I'm reading! Other books? I love the Dune series and have the original series and all the extra-canonical books. However the original book will always be the best. I'm also an Isaac Asimov fan. Oh, and all of Orson Scott Card's Enderverse books. Harry Potter and Percy Jackson books (and the other series that Rick Riordan is working on) are my kids favorites so of course I HAVE to read those. So sad for me! :rolleyes:

it has to be TFoH as that is when Rand starts getting better at using saidin and starts hearing LLT voice and i think most of us WoT fans can agree that on is that we loved that crazy guy, even if he was mad :P oh and when mat states showing how epic his battle skills are.. and moiraine and her sacrifice!!! so much happens.. Asomodean dies in this book aswell, like that was a big even for some people.. so it has to be TFoH :D

well i read so much they blur together but my favourites are (please don't judge me for this :P)the percy jackson books (and the other books the author has done like the red pyramid and the lost hero..) um the Twilght series.. (though after reading WoT they arn't as good anymore..), the chaos walking books were interesting.. very interesting... oh and how could i almost forget Eragon!! that is one epically amazing series like.. before wheel of time, the Eragon series (inheritance cycle) was my favourite series(though i am litterally dying waiting for christopher palioni to out the final book!!!!)

Favorite Books:

Science Fiction

Dune by Frank Herbert

Enders Game/Enders Shadow by Orson Scott Card

Stranger In a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

Robots and Empire by Isaac Asimov

Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Ringworld by Larry Niven

The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon

Fantasy

The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursuala K. Leguin

The Sword of Shannara (Series) by Terry Brooks

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin

Icewind Dale (and anything else with Drizzt Do'Urden) by RA Salvatore

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Favorite book of the WOT series so far (I'm on book ten) - The Great Hunt

The Count of Monte Cristo ~ Alexandre Dumas

The picture of Dorian Gray ~ Oliver Wilde

Prometheus bound ~ Aeschylus

Les Miserables ~ Victor Hugo

The Visit ~ Friedrich Dürrenmatt

It ~ Stephen King

The Bridge ~ Manfred Gregor

Off the top of my head those are my favorite. Although I am very privy to those quote from Hawthorne's "Scarlet Letter;"

“No man, for any considerable period of time, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the truth.”

Archived