DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL: who will die?

Jason Denzel

265 members have voted

1. 1. Which major character(s) do you think will die (and not come back) in the final WoT novel?

• Rand
    • Mat
    • Perrin
    • Egwene
    • Elayne
    • Min
    • Aviendha
    • Lan
    • Moiraine
    • Thom
    • Olver
    • Cadsuane
    • Faile
    • Tuon
    • Suian
    • Galad
    • Gawyn
    • Nynaeve

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rand, Egwene, Min, Moiraine, Thom, Cadsuane, Galad and Gawyn.

Rand dies. Or so I hope. The lovetriangle with 3 women is just too complex. So if nothing else, Rand will end himself just to get away from having to deal with 3 women and dozen children.

Min dies delivering Rand some important piece of information that she figures out just before everything is about to go to shit :x

Egwene dies while protecting Rand.

Gawyn dies when he wears the rings he has, yeah, all the rings. At once. He'll be freaking Hulk. (I'm praying Nynaeve comes too late to save him, he'd do suicide anyhow after he finds out Egwene has died.)

Moiraine goes down fighting alongside Rand, Thom goes down protecting Moiraine.

Cadsuane dies fighting one of the Forsaken in ring with few Asha'man.

Galad dies some useless death, probably dropping off his horse after Last Battle has been won. Poor guy has been so underrated throughout the series.

I wonder if the effect stacks, if so someone with 3 would only live for minutes to hours but with his original level of skill would be unstoppable

I was thinking about this earlier when I predicted Gawyn's death. As shown in ToM bloodknives can live for weeks (at most a month) after activating their ring. I would guess that it depends on the over all fitness of the user how long death is delayed. So, if the effect stacks (Which I think is likely. What other reason would there be for Gawyn to have three unless he gives the other two to other people... And I don't see him sacrificing others to save Egwene.) Then that would shorten the maximum lifespan to possibly a little more than a week after activation? Maybe more given the heightened abilities associated with the Warder bond. Death can also be delayed by removing the ring. I could see Gawyn using the rings intermittently for a period of a couple weeks while hiding what he was doing from Egwene in order to protect her from some future threat she is unaware of. However, I'm not sure how extensive his knowledge of the rings is other than their basic use. Maybe he will return to the former damane and sul'dam and learn more about their use.

The Bloodknives' rings are described (in The Gathering Storm, I presume, since I don't recall it in Towers of Midnight). Once activated, they kill the Bloodknife within 'a few days' (I think; 3 or 4 max as I recall), which can be extended (to weeks, apparently, although I don't recall if that is stated in The Gathering Storm) by taking the ring off.

As for the effects stacking, it would at least drop the life span to one third (if they do stack, I suspect they don't . . . although, perhaps only the life-draining effect stacks?). Personally, I remain unconvinced that Gawyn uses the rings at all (since I don't think he knows how, which does raise the question of why he grabbed the rings in particular).

As for the effects stacking, it would at least drop the life span to one third (if they do stack, I suspect they don't . . . although, perhaps only the life-draining effect stacks?). Personally, I remain unconvinced that Gawyn uses the rings at all (since I don't think he knows how, which does raise the question of why he grabbed the rings in particular).

He grabbed them so that when Egwene joins rands parley group that goes to confront the seanchan, he will be standing there wearing three of their "most awesome of the awesome's" defining instrument. Kareda and Tuon will see them, he will nod nonchalantly and Kareda's head will explode. Tuon's ego will be crushed, the lies that are the basis of seanchan society crashing down upon her (the everliving emperess, her mother, died, the ever victorious army has been defeated four [or more] times in two years, and their super elite soldiers not only can be killed, but one man can kill three of them at once). she will only recover after mat arrives and says something hilarious. They will all then proceed to the last battle.

some da'cavole will have to clean up Kareda's mess.

Oh min your hidden daggers may not be enough... But seriously learn to use a short sword at least!

She has played with Rands short sword often enough.

hahahaha :myrddraal:

I honestly hope Egwene dies. other than that i dont really care. I dont want mat or perrin or rand to die though.

He grabbed them so that when Egwene joins rands parley group that goes to confront the seanchan, he will be standing there wearing three of their "most awesome of the awesome's" defining instrument. Kareda and Tuon will see them, he will nod nonchalantly and Kareda's head will explode. Tuon's ego will be crushed, the lies that are the basis of seanchan society crashing down upon her (the everliving emperess, her mother, died, the ever victorious army has been defeated four [or more] times in two years, and their super elite soldiers not only can be killed, but one man can kill three of them at once). she will only recover after mat arrives and says something hilarious. They will all then proceed to the last battle.

I know this was kind of a joke post but the empress isn't supposed to be immortal. Saying "may she live forever" is a traditional courtesy similar to "Long live the king".

I know this was kind of a joke post but the empress isn't supposed to be immortal. Saying "may she live forever" is a traditional courtesy similar to "Long live the king".

yeah, it was 50% joke, but for a society like this, the death of an emperor (through murder no less) is a big freaking deal. Consider the turmoil in china after many of their emperors died, in romance of the three kingdoms it was described in very mystical terms. people who think this way are going to be effected psychologically more than someone who is more rational. Remember, this chick sees signs in everything. The death of an emperess has got to be a big deal to her.

I wanted to say Perrin, but after working out my interpretation of the dark prophecy, I'm no longer so sure he'll die. In fact, I'm inclined to think he'll become survive to take on the role he agreed with Elayne on, making the New Manetheren a substitute for the Fallen Borderlands such as Saldaea.

Best guess?

I think Thom and Moridin are going to get smoked when Rand and his two advisors link up for the 3-in-1 prophecy, according to ... Min's pipe viewing?

Cadsuane's going to die, and in the process teach Rand and the Asha'man what real sacrifice is.

Lan's going to fall in the Borderlander's Last Stand, and Nynaeve's going to go down right after him.

Various assorted secondary characters die heroic deaths.

Mat sounds the Horn of Valere to save the world in the battle Rand cannot fight when all seems lost, and in the process, we discover all or most of these characters are now tied to the Horn.

As much as I will hate it I really think that Perrin is going to die. For one thing in order to get the maximum dramatic effect one of Rand's besties needs to die, and since the outriggers tell us that it won't be Mat it looks like Perrin could be toast. Secondly we have the dark prophecy which speaks of Perrin's death. However, I do think that in an ironic twist Perrin will go out in a self sacrificing way which will deal a huge blow to The Shadow. And of course he will not go without leaving Faile preggers so that he will have a line to be the stewards of The Two Rivers.

Also for Maximum dramatic effect one of Rand's women needs to die and because the other two are set to bear Rand's children looks like Min is the most likely candidate. Again this will be hard for me as she is my favorite of the three.

As much as I will hate it I really think that Perrin is going to die. For one thing in order to get the maximum dramatic effect one of Rand's besties needs to die, and since the outriggers tell us that it won't be Mat it looks like Perrin could be toast. Secondly we have the dark prophecy which speaks of Perrin's death.

I'm not sure I'd interpret the dark prophecy that way. Once, I would have, but after re-reading the bit after the forging of Mallahnir about leaving the blacksmith behind, I'm not so sure. After all, his great pride was in choosing the hammer over the axe, and this would basically be "the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride".

As much as I will hate it I really think that Perrin is going to die. For one thing in order to get the maximum dramatic effect one of Rand's besties needs to die, and since the outriggers tell us that it won't be Mat it looks like Perrin could be toast. Secondly we have the dark prophecy which speaks of Perrin's death. However, I do think that in an ironic twist Perrin will go out in a self sacrificing way which will deal a huge blow to The Shadow. And of course he will not go without leaving Faile preggers so that he will have a line to be the stewards of The Two Rivers.

Also for Maximum dramatic effect one of Rand's women needs to die and because the other two are set to bear Rand's children looks like Min is the most likely candidate. Again this will be hard for me as she is my favorite of the three.

Add "besties" and "preggers" to the list of words I hate.

Cadsuane - will almost certainly die; her types don't usually survive in stories. 75% chance will die.

Lan - looks like he will die given that his 12,000 strong army is facing a host of Trollocs dozens of times bigger at the end of ToM. Which is a waste. Did he absolutely have to throw away not only himself but so many good soldiers in a futile frontal attack against superior forces, and with no channeler backup? 75% chance will die.

Rand - will certainly die, but 50% chance will be resurrected.

Olver and Gawyn have a 25% chance of death.

I don't think any of the others will die.

Rand:Well, obviously. He's going to die, just like Nicola's Foretelling said he would, but somehow Min, Elayne, and Aviendha will bring him back. Their tears will likely be the source of resurrection, IMO.

Cadsuane:Honestly, it's just been a long time coming. The fact that she only recently came to treat Rand as an equal is almost confirmation.

Bashere:The only reason I feel Bashere's meant to go is to fulfill Min's viewing of Perrin with the Broken Crown. Tenobia's likely to do something creative and get herself/several hundred thousand soldiers killed in some full on frontal assault, and that only leaves Deira left in line for succession.

Logain:What better way to achieve glory above all men than to SACRIFICE YOURSELF IN A FUTILE EFFORT TO SAVE THE DRAGON REBORN'S LIFE SO HE CAN LIVE ON HAPPILY WITH HIS POLYGAMISTIC WAYS!

Every High Lord and Lady of Tear:*crosses fingers*

Selucia:Thrown in for good measure. It only makes sense for some Seanchan to die in the Last Battle, and we're not really close to any aside from Tuon and Selucia.

Talmanes:If he grins and laughs loudly as he dies, my heart will shrivel and die within me.

Cadsuane is the only one I'm sure of. Was tempted to add (in this order): Galad, Gawyn, Olver, Lan, Nynaeve, Egwene, Perrin, Faile. Don't think any of the other listed ones have a chance of dying, though I could be wrong. Well, except for Rand of course. We know he's going to die, but we also know he's going to survive the Last Battle. Makes no sense for him to die after, so...yeah.

Cadsuane is the only one I'm sure of. Was tempted to add (in this order): Galad, Gawyn, Olver, Lan, Nynaeve, Egwene, Perrin, Faile. Don't think any of the other listed ones have a chance of dying, though I could be wrong. Well, except for Rand of course. We know he's going to die, but we also know he's going to survive the Last Battle. Makes no sense for him to die after, so...yeah.

Yes, Cadsuane seems like the only certain death - she herself predicts it (and has been, since about the time we first meet her).

As for major characters dying . . . I don't know, maybe. I wouldn't mind Faile dying, but it wouldn't bug me if she didn't (her real problem is lack of maturity/experience, which at her age (16 or 17 currently in 1000 NE) is understandable). Personally, I don't see that the deal between Perrin/Faile and Elayne protects Perrin and Faile (they die, the problem goes away, and Elayne gets the Two Rivers back . . . if she can convince them to let her rule, at least). I'm not convinced that Jordan wanted them dead, either, of course, but it is possible.

mmm... Cadsy for sure.

Bashere (i hope not!! i like him) and lan (i don't care about him, but i hope not.. i like Nyn)

Min. i have this feeling

Rand.. but i think he's coming back

Sadly, im pretty sure olver is gonna die (maybe in caemlyn)

I'm sooo happy Mat will survive (and tuon.. i like her)

I bet Matt dies.

He is too cool to die ;)

I don't think Avi's vision is true. The major characters are all dead!!

And... i think brigitte will die, she isn't part of the "real world" after all. she's an hero of the horn, so i guess she is gonna die a little before being called back from the horn ;)

And I hope logain won't die.

i always thought the viewing of the baby born with a sword was the respinning of gaidal cain........but most likely not though just a different thought. i dont think lan will die

what the hell happened to liandrin hope she dies. maybe shot by a dragon lol

we all know cadsy dies.

matt and tuon will live. id probley say all the main guys live.

Cadsuane is the only one *really* likely to get it in the neck, I think. It would be cool if some of the others would die, though. Olver is a nice choice, and maybe one or two of the first rank and a few more of the second rank of characters could die in some magnificent way :biggrin:

First, who will not die:

• Mat. besides the confirmation of RJ that Mat will live he has already suffered enough (lost his eye).
  • Tuon. RJ said so.
  • Perrin. Someone has to rule the Two Rivers (if not him then who?) and all the recent developments have been setting him up to do just that. It would not make sense to kill him off after all that.
  • Faile. Someone has to have Perrin's babies. If he lives so will she.
  • Elayne. She is not due to give birth yet and the last battle happens tomorrow.
  • Aviendha. she isn't even pregnant yet and she has to live to give birth to four kids by Rand.
  • Egwene. A lot of recent plot developments were to set her up to be the longest living Amyrlin in history as Nisao suggests in KoD. Also, in CoS Egwene dreamed of a fork in Gawyn's future. In one they would marry and he would have a long life. In the other not. It's now pretty clear which fork we are on. So Gawyn will have a long life and somehow I don't see that if Egwene dies (he is her warder after all).
  • Gawyn (see above). He definitely lives.
  • Lan. He is clearly being set up to resurrect Malkier and rule it as a King. There is nobody who can fulfill this function if he dies as Nynaeve isn't pregnant yet.
  • Nynaeve. If Lan lives so will she.
  • Moiraine. No way she is going to get killed now after all the trouble Mat and Thom went trough to bring her back. And she just got married too. Both her and her new husband and warder will live.
  • Thom will have to live as Moiraine's warder and husband.
  • Suian. Clearly being set up for a long married life with Bryn.
  • Galad. Just got hooked up with Berelain. And it's hard to see who can replace him as the Lord Captain Commander of the Children.

People who might die but I don't think will die.

• Olver. Don't really have an argument for or against. It would be sad if he died but it is possible I suppose.

Lastly, people who I think will die.

• Cadsuane. She is very old and the main reason she stuck around this long is to see the dragon reborn through the last battle. That duty fulfilled she has no other purpose so will most likely buy the farm after the last battle is over.
  • Rand. It's pretty indisputable that he has to die to win the last battle (aelfinn answers). I interpret the line "to live you must die" as "to live again you must die". He has to die to prevent the DO from breaking free and destroying the pattern. And then he will live again when he is eventually reborn (but not for many years yet). Also, he doesn't really have a place or a purpose in the post TG world. What would he do if he lives? settle back in Two Rivers? He'll likely have to give Illian back to Stepaneos. After that he won't be a ruler of anything.
  • Min. If Rand dies so will she. She has no purpose without him around. She doesn't have a kingdom to rule like Elayne or a people to shepherd like Avi. And there are no dreams, viewings or fortellings indicating that she would live. So I'm afraid she is a goner too.

Perrin: Because one of the good guys has to die and Mat and Rand are protected by the author. This is the only way WoT will have a meaningful main character death, IMO, with the fullfilling of the dark prophecy.

Davram, Deira, Tenobia Bashere: Even if Perrin doesn't die these guys will bite the dust. Min saw an aura of darkness around Bashere and he can't be a DF since Rand Christ looked him in the eye. So he's probably going to die, along with Deira and Tenobia, making Faile queen of Saldaea.

Alana: Somebody in the Shadow should know about her connection to Rand now. I don't think Rand'll become insanely suicidal (like normal warders do) due to being bonded to four women and also being ta'veren. But this could upset him much.

Lots of Aes Sedai and Asha'man: we already saw some of the Black Ajah hunters die in TofM. Eben bit the dust in WH. So many will probably die in Tarmon Gaidon.

Archived