A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin's Arc

Luckers

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopper :(

I have to agree.

I have noticed that there really has not been a Major (light side) character death in the entire story arc.

Verin maybe..

I almost think that Hopper was more of a major char than Verin...

Most of the chars that died that are on the side of light have been either very minor chars (only in one or two books) or they barely lived long enough for us to learn their names.

I dunno - Egwene managed to get out of the freakin' a'dam pretty well - something Moghedian couldn't do, when faced with someone completely untrained in the WoD.

Certainly, she needed some reminding of what to do - and I have no idea why she would try to TIE UP Perrin in the middle of a battle with the Black Ajah - but if it came down to a fight? Dunno who would win.

It might be that it takes the two of them, working together, to take down Slayer.

Faile would get jealous, though. And Gawyn would vow to kill Perrin.

I would lean towards Perrin being stronger at this point, but to be fair there is no way Egwene queen of knowing better then anyone else would ever admit it.

I don't think that anybody is inherently "stronger" in Dreamland than anyone else. What you can do there is dependent solely on what you think you can do there. Egwene considers weaves to be real things, so they have a reality to her there. She sees balefire and thinks "Oh shit! Balefire!" and therefore has balefire to deal with. Perrin sees some fake fire that someone imagined up and then just goes and unimagines it because he doesn't treat it with more reality than it actually has in the place.

When her and Moggy had a'dam's on them, they thought "Oh shit! I'm trapped by an a'dam!" and therefore had to deal with being trapped by an a'dam because they'd accepted the concept as real. Because of Perrin, Egwene was able to say "Oh wait a sec. I'm not actually trapped by an a'dam. What a silly notion that was." and suddenly wasn't trapped. Mesanna then saw her get out of it and believed that Egwene was therefore stronger in the Dreamworld than she was and thus allowed Egwene to have the power to smoke her, when Egwene's ability to do so was simply imaginary.

I would lean towards Perrin being stronger at this point, but to be fair there is no way Egwene queen of knowing better then anyone else would ever admit it.

I don't think that anybody is inherently "stronger" in Dreamland than anyone else. What you can do there is dependent solely on what you think you can do there. Egwene considers weaves to be real things, so they have a reality to her there. She sees balefire and thinks "Oh shit! Balefire!" and therefore has balefire to deal with. Perrin sees some fake fire that someone imagined up and then just goes and unimagines it because he doesn't treat it with more reality than it actually has in the place.

When her and Moggy had a'dam's on them, they thought "Oh shit! I'm trapped by an a'dam!" and therefore had to deal with being trapped by an a'dam because they'd accepted the concept as real. Because of Perrin, Egwene was able to say "Oh wait a sec. I'm not actually trapped by an a'dam. What a silly notion that was." and suddenly wasn't trapped. Mesanna then saw her get out of it and believed that Egwene was therefore stronger in the Dreamworld than she was and thus allowed Egwene to have the power to smoke her, when Egwene's ability to do so was simply imaginary.

Perrin was trained by Hopper, Hopper it seemd to me and imho know more the the Wise ones, after all Tar is their 2nd home. That being said, it really is moot point as there is only one book left, and i find it unlikely that we will ever see this world again. At any rate, my post was more a joke to bash Egewene, which is ironic since i mostly bash Perrin. :)

Perrin was trained by Hopper, Hopper it seemd to me and imho know more the the Wise ones, after all Tar is their 2nd home. That being said, it really is moot point as there is only one book left, and i find it unlikely that we will ever see this world again. At any rate, my post was more a joke to bash Egewene, which is ironic since i mostly bash Perrin. :)

There is another dreamspike at the Black Tower if i remember correctly. And getting rid of it with a combined effort of Perrin, Egwene and whoever is the probably the best way to deal with it. So i don´t think we will never see this world again. If by this world you mean the Dream World.

Hammer question (someone's probably asked this already): If I recall correctly, the Asha'man entered a circle with the Aes Sedai, but wouldn't that be breaking the vow not to make a power wrought weapon? I may be remembering wrong because there are Wise Ones who can channel there too, they may have joined with them, but if not, I think that would create a contradictoin.

Perrin did what any of the guys would do. Can you imagine if Min got captured by someone? Rand would go apeshit on them. Heck he already did at Dumai Wells when he thought they had hurt Min. Mat took on an army of Seanchan just so he could get over the border; what do you think he would do if someone he cared about was captured? That person and their army would be doomed. They just put their loved ones about themselves and others; its just what they do. And I am not sure I blame them. if I was in Perrins shoes and my wife was the one who got captured, I would do the same as well. What was he meant to do, just leave her there?

Perrin was boring and whiny yes. But he didn't do anything that isnt realistic. He put the rescue of his wife against all others, which makes complete sense.

It was just one book ago that showed what Rand would do if Min got captured by someone. Granted they were in the same room, but both Rand and Min were prisoners and Rand accepted the Dark One's power into his body to not harm her. He did more than Perrin by theorizing that he would let the Dark One have the world, Rand practically gift wrapped the fate of the world to evil in order to save Min.

Another note about Perrin's hammer, and this is a stretch of a theory I admit, but people have noticed by now it caused the skin of Trollocs to sizzle when it came in contact with them. It reminded me of the sizzling caused by Mat's medallion against the skin of the gholam. Could they both be power disrupting weapons that cause shadowspawn skin to sizzle when contacted?? I found it odd that he made the hammer with a metal shaft. A heavy weapon can be used short term, but even in his arms during a sustained battle, that weapon's weight would become a liability. Both Rand and Mat have ways of defending themselves against channelers. It would seem that Perrin would need similar protection as well coming up in the last battle. With Perrin holding a power wrought weapon made with both saidin and saidar, his hand would always be in contact with the metal of the weapon, gaining him Mat's same protection.

Oh, and to whoever mentioned it earlier, Neald only asked for Wise Ones in his circle. I doubt the Aes Sedai joined in.

If they are spun out in these roles on a regular basis is it not strange Lews Therin/Rand doesn't ever ponder on it. He would be like hey Mat kinda reminds me of insert name and Perrin is like insert name. Wait a minute.'.

Or do you mean just this particular turning, where the dark one needs to be resealed?

Not on a regular basis, certainly not every age (at least not for these roles, and Mat's been born in the Third Age before, he was king of Manetheren when it fell).

No, I'm talking specifically about the current Age and the current conflict. They wouldn't have been spun out in the Age of Legends to fulfill those roles, so Lews Therin wouldn't remember them. I'm talking about seven Ages ago, when this current Age was in progress in the previous cycle.

Mat is not the reborn king of Manetheren.

So is Perrin more powerful in the dream than Egwene? Or was she just too preoccupied/startled to put all her strength into holding Perrin?

Unknown. He's certainly not hampered by the same preconceptions about what is possible or what works, which may amount to the same thing.

The whole Perrin/Egwene interaction demonstrates that in Tel'aran'rhiod ( and maybe elsewhere ) belief has the most power. Egwene was ineffectual because Perrin simply dismissed everything she tried to do. He believed in a different outcome from the one she was trying to impose with One Power.

At the time of their conflict he was certainly more powerful (given that he was able to defeat her when she tried to wrap him up). However, I think she learned that lesson quickly, given her battle with Moghedien, so it might not be as clear cut a victory for Perrin this next time (though I rather suspect it would).

If they are spun out in these roles on a regular basis is it not strange Lews Therin/Rand doesn't ever ponder on it. He would be like hey Mat kinda reminds me of insert name and Perrin is like insert name. Wait a minute.'.

Or do you mean just this particular turning, where the dark one needs to be resealed?

Not on a regular basis, certainly not every age (at least not for these roles, and Mat's been born in the Third Age before, he was king of Manetheren when it fell).

No, I'm talking specifically about the current Age and the current conflict. They wouldn't have been spun out in the Age of Legends to fulfill those roles, so Lews Therin wouldn't remember them. I'm talking about seven Ages ago, when this current Age was in progress in the previous cycle.

Mat is not the reborn king of Manetheren.

He was either Aemon or a high ranking soldier/general when Manetheren fell. Min saw the Red Eagle around him, he instinctively knew the war cries of Manetheren, and has had memories of leading a battle against the Trollocs as part of the Heart Guard. Those memories in particular are not from the Eelfinn. Perhaps it was a stretch to go to Aemon, but I think it's likely so, and at the very least he was a high ranking soldier who fought in Manetheren's defense.

I'm going to sound like a broken wheel..but FINALLY. (fyi just beacuse my tag is a wolf doesn't mean im a huge fan of perrin :P)

I'm so glad that he actually decided to stop WHINING. SO. MUCH. WHINING. and pouting. im glad to see perrin finally step up and be the BADASS he should have been..oh i don't know..seven books ago!!

Hammer was BA. Whitecloaks still annoy the living crap out of me and I really did want him to just destroy them deep down regardless of the last battle lol. A little disappointed he couldn't save hopper..but once he started maturing into the leader he should have been all along i knew hopper was done for. Perrin didn't need to be guided anymore and I could tell hopper wasn't going to stick around :(.

All in all...I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE THREE OF THEM TOGETHER!

I don't like making assertions with little or no evidence, but we won't find any answers about the big questions like the resealing of the bore purely by scanning the text. With that in mind, I tried to do as much as I could with the simple premise that the Creator's perfect prison for the Dark One would not simply be bored through with an imperfect use of the One Power (clearly imperfect in that humans were weaving it).

1) (Premise/Assumption) Channelers can't simply bore through a perfect prison using an imperfect power

2) (Fact) A Bore anywhere gives the DO some form of freedom.

3) (Strongly supported Conclusion) Mierin and co. probably Bored through in TAR, since reality is malleable there (if only temporarily, as Perrin demonstrated)

4) (Strongly supported Conclusion) LT would've missed this fact when he tried to seal the DO.

5) (Fact) Perrin surpasses even the strongest Dreamwalkers in TAR; TAR is the wolf-home ("waking from the dream", Last Hunt for wolves seems to exist in TAR too), and it's really more of a second home for Perrin than a foreign world.

6) (Corollary) Perrin is the only one who could possibly fix what Mierin buggered up in TAR.

7) (Fact) Perrin has embraced his creative side.

8) (Weakly supported Conclusion) Perrin will somehow fix the TAR Bore in conjunction with Rand fixing the Randland Bore.

9) (Weakly supported Conclusion) To this end, Perrin will forge the foci for Rand to use as seals?

10)(Fact) Perrin is the best deep, analytical thinker of the three ta'veren when he can be buggered to think. You could argue Rand is better, but Rand is a philosopher, not as good at solving problems as he is at framing them.

11)(Weakly supported Conclusion) He's the only one in the series who would really think about TAR as more than just a reflection of the real world. It's possible Ishamael and Lanfear know something, and also possible Rand and/or Min might figure something out. But of all the Dreamwalkers/Forsaken, only Perrin seems free of the notion that TAR is a "tool" to be used.

12)(Fact) TAR is not simply a reflection of the world: the Heroes of the Horn hang around TAR with full memories intact (kind of like Valhalla?), the Tower of Ghenji apparently cannot be entered from TAR?, Wolves that "wake from the dream" of the waking world show up in TAR (like Hopper)

13)(Corollary) There may be some merit to thinking about TAR as more than a reflection and about TAR's connection to the Bore.

I'm more of a mind that the Sharom (big floaty orb destroyed in black fire) was linked in some way to a vacuole (since a lot of AoL research was conducted in these.) The Prison is as close to the Pattern in all places, but in that one spot there's supposed to have been a thinning of the fabric which made it possible to detect it was even there.

You're assuming that the One Power is imperfect because humans are wielding it. We've been shown that the One Power was used to create the Bore. It would be a lousy prison if the Dark One could breach it from his side.

I don't like making assertions with little or no evidence, but we won't find any answers about the big questions like the resealing of the bore purely by scanning the text. With that in mind, I tried to do as much as I could with the simple premise that the Creator's perfect prison for the Dark One would not simply be bored through with an imperfect use of the One Power (clearly imperfect in that humans were weaving it).

1) (Premise/Assumption) Channelers can't simply bore through a perfect prison using an imperfect power

2) (Fact) A Bore anywhere gives the DO some form of freedom.

3) (Strongly supported Conclusion) Mierin and co. probably Bored through in TAR, since reality is malleable there (if only temporarily, as Perrin demonstrated)

4) (Strongly supported Conclusion) LT would've missed this fact when he tried to seal the DO.

5) (Fact) Perrin surpasses even the strongest Dreamwalkers in TAR; TAR is the wolf-home ("waking from the dream", Last Hunt for wolves seems to exist in TAR too), and it's really more of a second home for Perrin than a foreign world.

6) (Corollary) Perrin is the only one who could possibly fix what Mierin buggered up in TAR.

7) (Fact) Perrin has embraced his creative side.

8) (Weakly supported Conclusion) Perrin will somehow fix the TAR Bore in conjunction with Rand fixing the Randland Bore.

9) (Weakly supported Conclusion) To this end, Perrin will forge the foci for Rand to use as seals?

10)(Fact) Perrin is the best deep, analytical thinker of the three ta'veren when he can be buggered to think. You could argue Rand is better, but Rand is a philosopher, not as good at solving problems as he is at framing them.

11)(Weakly supported Conclusion) He's the only one in the series who would really think about TAR as more than just a reflection of the real world. It's possible Ishamael and Lanfear know something, and also possible Rand and/or Min might figure something out. But of all the Dreamwalkers/Forsaken, only Perrin seems free of the notion that TAR is a "tool" to be used.

12)(Fact) TAR is not simply a reflection of the world: the Heroes of the Horn hang around TAR with full memories intact (kind of like Valhalla?), the Tower of Ghenji apparently cannot be entered from TAR?, Wolves that "wake from the dream" of the waking world show up in TAR (like Hopper)

13)(Corollary) There may be some merit to thinking about TAR as more than a reflection and about TAR's connection to the Bore.

Some further thoughts in no particular order:

Egwene's first gateway made a place in the pattern identical to its reflection in T'A'R.

I don't think Perrin is necessarily stronger in T'A'R than Egwene or the Dreamwalkers, but he does have a different way of thinking about T'A'R (which may be an asset).

According to Verin, T'A'R is one constant linking all the Portal Stone worlds. The DO is another.

I've described a theory before that the ghosts, bubbles of evil and shifting reality is a kind of 'leaking' of the fluidity of T'A'R into the real world (the bubbles being like nightmares).

The description of the apples returning had a distinct T'A'R feel to it. Indeed, all the decay has the feel of malleable reality. Is the Blight even real, or is it a kind of twisted nightmare overlaid on top of the landscape?

Places like Stedding, Shayol Ghul, the Tower of Ghenjei and Rhuidean cannot be entered in T'A'R. Rhuidean is (or was) warded, but the others have links to alternate realities.

-- dwn

So is Perrin more powerful in the dream than Egwene? Or was she just too preoccupied/startled to put all her strength into holding Perrin?

Unknown. He's certainly not hampered by the same preconceptions about what is possible or what works, which may amount to the same thing.

The whole Perrin/Egwene interaction demonstrates that in Tel'aran'rhiod ( and maybe elsewhere ) belief has the most power. Egwene was ineffectual because Perrin simply dismissed everything she tried to do. He believed in a different outcome from the one she was trying to impose with One Power.

At the time of their conflict he was certainly more powerful (given that he was able to defeat her when she tried to wrap him up). However, I think she learned that lesson quickly, given her battle with Moghedien, so it might not be as clear cut a victory for Perrin this next time (though I rather suspect it would).

To me it comes down to this. Perrin knows even as good as he is in TAR now that he is just like a child (He goes in expecting to learn). So it doesn't get to his head that he is some master of TAR. The fact that he was that much more at ease vs Egwene in TAR, when at best she thinks she has just a bit to learn says a lot. As does the fact that she relies on the OP at all in TAR, because even if there are some things that are easier with the one power in TAR, by believing in it at all she gives it power. Where as to Perrin they are just weaves and they don't matter at all.

So to me based on how they learned about TAR, and their attitudes towards TAR, Perrin will always have an advantage. And now that he has actually accepted his wolf side I don't see Egwene catching up. There are some differences of course and things that Egwene does better in TAR than Perrin, but for pure presence Slayer/Perrin are ahead of the AS. I would suggest even greater than the wise ones based on actions. The wise ones blended in and hid while fighting, while Perrin believed the outcome and stood...

Just a shame he couldnt do the same against slayer. Guess Perrin is scared of slayer's arrows more than balefire =p Take that for what you will

As an aside does Perrin get tired after entering TAR? I know it affects the AS, but I don't recall Perrin ever feeling tired after the dreams.

Perrin did what any of the guys would do. Can you imagine if Min got captured by someone? Rand would go apeshit on them. Heck he already did at Dumai Wells when he thought they had hurt Min. Mat took on an army of Seanchan just so he could get over the border; what do you think he would do if someone he cared about was captured? That person and their army would be doomed. They just put their loved ones about themselves and others; its just what they do. And I am not sure I blame them. if I was in Perrins shoes and my wife was the one who got captured, I would do the same as well. What was he meant to do, just leave her there?

Perrin was boring and whiny yes. But he didn't do anything that isnt realistic. He put the rescue of his wife against all others, which makes complete sense.

It was just one book ago that showed what Rand would do if Min got captured by someone. Granted they were in the same room, but both Rand and Min were prisoners and Rand accepted the Dark One's power into his body to not harm her. He did more than Perrin by theorizing that he would let the Dark One have the world, Rand practically gift wrapped the fate of the world to evil in order to save Min.

Another note about Perrin's hammer, and this is a stretch of a theory I admit, but people have noticed by now it caused the skin of Trollocs to sizzle when it came in contact with them. It reminded me of the sizzling caused by Mat's medallion against the skin of the gholam. Could they both be power disrupting weapons that cause shadowspawn skin to sizzle when contacted?? I found it odd that he made the hammer with a metal shaft. A heavy weapon can be used short term, but even in his arms during a sustained battle, that weapon's weight would become a liability. Both Rand and Mat have ways of defending themselves against channelers. It would seem that Perrin would need similar protection as well coming up in the last battle. With Perrin holding a power wrought weapon made with both saidin and saidar, his hand would always be in contact with the metal of the weapon, gaining him Mat's same protection.

Oh, and to whoever mentioned it earlier, Neald only asked for Wise Ones in his circle. I doubt the Aes Sedai joined in.

Maybe thats why Elayne couldnt fully duplicate Mats medallian, as it needed a male channeling as well

Maybe thats why Elayne couldnt fully duplicate Mats medallian, as it needed a male channeling as well

Or she didn't have metal with the exact properties required.

• Community Administrator

Or she didn't have metal with the exact properties required.

Or like Perrins Hammer, the object needs to be 'forged' with the one power, with a 'master' at work on the piece, putting there 'heart' into the piece, with a combination of the right metals, and the correct male and female weaves in use.

Archived