DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin's Arc

Luckers

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discuss

So Perrin is almost as much this book's bad ass as Mat is.

Maybe more.

But the hammer forging was an interesting event, and possibly one of my favorite scenes. It conveyed a sense of importance with the act that was done by how drained the Asha'man were. Plus i have this image in my head of a mixture between Perrin and Thrall wielding doomhammer.

With the exception of the first few chapters repeating with great bluntness what we'd already been told in tGS, I think that Perrin's arc in the books is the best. It is subtle, detailed, developed--everything RJ would have made of it.

But the hammer forging was an interesting event, and possibly one of my favorite scenes. It conveyed a sense of importance with the act that was done by how drained the Asha'man were. Plus i have this image in my head of a mixture between Perrin and Thrall wielding doomhammer.

I thought the same thing. The balefire thing in the World of Dreams was great. I am surprised that he has not seen the other dreamspike around the BT.

Timelines, distance. The D-Spike doesn't seem to have very much range. If it's centred in the BT, which covers a vast area, it probably won't cover Caemlyn as well.

Also, we have some fix on the timeline here - when Perrin had his epic flight/ fight, the DSpike may not be deployed.

In my opinion Perrin's arc was the most exciting and well developed in the book (possibly over-developed - I didn't need so much dream training, but that's being picky). It was like Perrin himself in a lot of ways. Nothing overly rushed (while Mat's stuff felt really abrupt by comparison).

Perrin's trial with the Whitecloaks seemed to take forever to get up to. After it was finally over with the story finally felt like they'd unhitched the plow, and damned if it wasn't a little overdue. His learning T'A'R was ok, but as I read it I kept wishing he would have done a little more wolf dream training for say, the previous six books.

I laughed out loud when he casually stopped Balefire with his hand, and thinks "oh Egwene became a full Aes Sedai. Good for her." as she gaped at him.

The forging of his hammer mmm'mmljnr was pretty epic too. I have a feeling that it will play a large part in the last book. He must not carry it everywhere he goes, though, since people don't seem to comment on it a lot of times.

It was weird seeing Mat and Perrin in the same scene together. It's been since the Stone of Tear, and really since Falme that they really talked much.

also, :hopper: Hopper :sad:

So Perrin's arc gets better after his ridiculous date with Faile? I have started just skipping him and Faile altogether because the date scene showed me nothing happens in his chapters to advance the story and nothing has happened in his chapters so far that is even remotely interesting. This books has ground to a halt for me it is so slow. It picks up post ch. 19? I am honestly on the verge on putting it down and not finishing.

Actually, can someone just provide me the high points of Perrin's story so I do not have to read it? He was once my favorite character but I cannot stand him.

Was anyone else seriously concerned that Perrin would die in this book? After we read those shadow prophesies (which are another matter we need to discuss) I was worried every time I read a Perrin chapter. But I was also seriously disappointed in how terrible Graendal's plan was... true, she couldn't have anticipated how good Perrin would get in the wolf dream, but I feel like she sat in the backseat on this one. This was her last chance, do or die and she let Isam and a bunch of trollocs do all the work? The same woman who was one of the cleverest of the forsaken and has laster this long? I'm now pondering who it is will be taking over the hunt for Perrin though. Maybe he won't live through the next book

I'm presuming that Jaret Byar was also under compulsion from Graendals' thoughts on the last tool and the idiot Whitecloak before Shaidar has his little chat with her.

Who/ what is the Broken Wolf? Boundless or Slayer or Hopper or somebody who's never been onscreen.

Was it just me, or was anyone else expecting any of the people described as 'handsome' or 'beautiful' to somehow betray Perrin after we learn that Graendal thinks she has a backup plan? I was thinking Wil al'Seen might try to stab him at some point, thinking his unhappiness at burning the wolf banner was because it would limit his chances to be near Perrin when it needed to be done. Or Berelain too, when she started acting different (thinking it was not just because of Galad). I guess I gave her too much credit.

When whomever it was used the portal stones to bring the shadowspawn into battle against the armies, it was an Asha'man that felt the channeling. Was Graendal linked with someone or did she let someone else do all the work for her last chance? I wonder who it was.

Anyone else seen the movie jumper?

when i read perrins wolf dream battles, flashing around thats how i pictured it haha, it was awesome. I think the dream spikes were a convienient addition to this book.. :unsure:

RJ mentioned them while discussing the war of power. So he must have always intended to use them as plot devices.

I have a question. Moggy implied that going to TAR in the flesh made you stronger than going in the dreamwalker way when Rand and Rahvin are fighting. Shouldn't that mean Slayer should be way stronger or does that only apply to channeling?

To be fair, Slayer *is* ridiculously strong in T'A'R. Not just physically, he has excellent control over the reality, has apparently learned some nuanced techniques we haven't gotten to see yet (it's not like he's dead, and it's Luc who really hates Perrin,) like healing himself... and while he is now entirely a denizen of T'A'R, he started off as just a human. Egwene has the Dreamer thing backing her up, and Perrin's wolf-soul gives him a huge boost. Isam built up his strength from a normal human baseline.

I have a question. Moggy implied that going to TAR in the flesh made you stronger than going in the dreamwalker way when Rand and Rahvin are fighting. Shouldn't that mean Slayer should be way stronger or does that only apply to channeling?

To be fair, Slayer *is* ridiculously strong in T'A'R. Not just physically, he has excellent control over the reality, has apparently learned some nuanced techniques we haven't gotten to see yet (it's not like he's dead, and it's Luc who really hates Perrin,) like healing himself... and while he is now entirely a denizen of T'A'R, he started off as just a human. Egwene has the Dreamer thing backing her up, and Perrin's wolf-soul gives him a huge boost. Isam built up his strength from a normal human baseline.

Well, he had been granted many unusual gifts (WH). One of them may have been exceptional TAR ability.

But he is awesomely good.

Edit: Incidentally the portal stone usage clears up two/ three mysteries. 1) shadowspawn attack in the waste 2) Algiarin's manor 3) Ebou Dar- Tylee being ambushed.

Also, it appears that even weak channelers can jump large numbers of trollocs via portal stones so Rand was being inefficient in his usage in TGH and TSR.

Well, he had been granted many unusual gifts (WH). One of them may have been exceptional TAR ability.

But he is awesomely good.

Edit: Incidentally the portal stone usage clears up two/ three mysteries. 1) shadowspawn attack in the waste 2) Algiarin's manor 3) Ebou Dar- Tylee being ambushed.

Also, it appears that even weak channelers can jump large numbers of trollocs via portal stones so Rand was being inefficient in his usage in TGH and TSR.

I agree, but it could also have been the ways... Rand didn't find nearly enough of them and the ones he did should have been destroyed, not guarded. HUGE priority that was neglected by the light

Perrin's trial with the Whitecloaks seemed to take forever to get up to. After it was finally over with the story finally felt like they'd unhitched the plow, and damned if it wasn't a little overdue. His learning T'A'R was ok, but as I read it I kept wishing he would have done a little more wolf dream training for say, the previous six books.

I laughed out loud when he casually stopped Balefire with his hand, and thinks "oh Egwene became a full Aes Sedai. Good for her." as she gaped at him.

The forging of his hammer mmm'mmljnr was pretty epic too. I have a feeling that it will play a large part in the last book. He must not carry it everywhere he goes, though, since people don't seem to comment on it a lot of times.

It was weird seeing Mat and Perrin in the same scene together. It's been since the Stone of Tear, and really since Falme that they really talked much.

also, :hopper: Hopper :sad:

I could have written this almost word-for-word. I'll add that the Noam part at the end was an excellent scene, very touching.

And Hopper was a badass in T'A'R. On one of the threads about why Hopper couldn't see Birgitte, someone told me "Hopper is no Moghedien." WELL, HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW!!!!! :tongue:

I will say the hammer confused me a little, since he could barely pick it up with one arm after he first made it, and then seemed to be using it quite freely in the Trolloc/WC battle. You're not getting many swings in with the thing if you can barely hold onto it.

But thank God Perrin is back to being a tolerable character. He went downhill hard and fast after Dumai's Wells, and was damn near unbearable after Faile was captured.

I'm only to chapter 29, the last thing i read about Perrin is freeing the wolves from the "dome". Is the payoff of Perrin worth reading basically the same stuff I've been reading the last few books? Don't want to know what it actually is...

at least he's not whining so much.

Overall the Perrin arc worked out well by the end of it. But man I wished someone would have killed him off during the early parts of his story. I didn't really enjoy it until Hopper and the hammer forging awesomeness. There was just way too much Perrin in this book, too much Egwene as well. I was just flying through the book and it was like another Perrin chapter? seriously? I think if his story had been broken up a bit more with more Rand and Mat awesomeness I would have enjoyed it more. The fact that his storyline was in parallel with Egwene's for a good chunk of it made that part of the book painful to read. I know this sounds a bit critical overall I enjoyed the book but I think I was just expecting a lot more Mat in the book and the lack of that may have clouded my early impression of the book after finishing it.

Archived