DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin's Arc

Luckers

Mjollnir!!!!

That's all.

:hopper:

So now all of the heroes have iconic weapons! Yay!!!

I'm tipping the cover of AMoL to show Perrin's hammer very clearly, probably featuring the three heroes standing together. Justice, the Ashanderai and Mjolnir (or whatever it's called) seems like some nice artwork fodder.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what i read was that when in the two rivers he was lord luc and that when he stepped out of TAR for his assassination of the 2 random old people it said that "he became Isam" or some such. If that was what they were refering to then it could easily be talking about his mind not the body. I'll try to find my original source.

But the hammer forging was an interesting event, and possibly one of my favorite scenes. It conveyed a sense of importance with the act that was done by how drained the Asha'man were. Plus i have this image in my head of a mixture between Perrin and Thrall wielding doomhammer.

I thought the same thing. The balefire thing in the World of Dreams was great. I am surprised that he has not seen the other dreamspike around the BT.

I was expecting him to fix this before the end. all he needs is 1 hour.

Go to BT, grab spike, imagine Dragon mount lava hole next to him and drop it in.

Never had a problem with Perrin's Arc, thought he slowed down only in Path of Daggers (who didn't) and Winter's Heart. Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams paid of large, outside of Mat and Tuon's wedding scene my favorite is still the entire chapter "The Last Knot." I was disappointed to see so little of him in Gathering Storm, and excited to hear he was a major focus of ToM.

This was great, really great. Perrin not only owning Black Ajah, going toe-to-toe with Slayer, escaping Graendal, forging his Shadowspawn killing hammer, leading the Last Hunt, but being the only person who understands that Rand's plan is the right one. I think it will be interesting to watch Perrin save Rand again when the Aes Sedai try to forcibly stop Rand from going to break the seals.

Favorite character of the series, favorite plot arc of the book. Just awesome

Perrin's unhealed wound is a bit worrisome.

Perrin turned as the portal closed. As he stepped, he felt a faint throbbing from his leg, where Slayer's arrow had hit him. He had been healed of that wound, and from what he'd been able to tell, the Healing had been complete. There was no injury. But his leg...it felt like it could remember the wound anyway. It was like a shadow, very faint, almost unnoticeable.

-- ToM, Gateways, 776-777

That would be the wound from the arrow that killed Hopper. The only other wounds that don't heal are Rand's, and those from Myrddraal blades. Yet I expect the Wise One who healed him would have noticed a tainted wound.

-- dwn

I think what i read was that when in the two rivers he was lord luc and that when he stepped out of TAR for his assassination of the 2 random old people it said that "he became Isam" or some such. If that was what they were refering to then it could easily be talking about his mind not the body. I'll try to find my original source.

Two different physical forms and two different minds but he can access both sets of memories.

Luc looks a bit like an older version of Rand (his uncle- mother's brother) and Isam looks like Lan (first cousin - father-brother's son).

He can take either form in real-world/ TAR - he switches forms by slipping in-out of TAR.

I think the shadows prophecy is misunderstood. I think it relates to the loss of the shadow, and the darkness coming is the shadowsouled being swallowed and locked away in the DO's prison (which i imagine being dark) I think it's a warning to shadow NOT a prophecy of killing perrin.

The broken wolf, the one touched by death and that stuff re the towers of midnight suggest to me that Perrin and matt (the one touched by death) have something to do with the seanchan, and the towers of midnight falling are to do with the 2 of them stopping aviendhas "future vision" of coming true. which I think will start when rand demands "the dragons peace" at the start of a memory of light. it will kickstart aviendha to look to change the future.

Re slayer I think being there in the flesh gives you more control which is why he's so hard. as when perrin tries really hard to do stuff hopper always said "you are here too strongly" making that point obvious.

I loved the scene when Perrin stop the balefire. I just thought to myself "well egwene, shows how rubbish you are in TAR - Perrin learnt to do that in like a week it's taken you half the series to get where you are, eat some humble pie amyrlin"

I think the shadows prophecy is misunderstood. I think it relates to the loss of the shadow, and the darkness coming is the shadowsouled being swallowed and locked away in the DO's prison (which i imagine being dark) I think it's a warning to shadow NOT a prophecy of killing perrin.

The broken wolf, the one touched by death and that stuff re the towers of midnight suggest to me that Perrin and matt (the one touched by death) have something to do with the seanchan, and the towers of midnight falling are to do with the 2 of them stopping aviendhas "future vision" of coming true. which I think will start when rand demands "the dragons peace" at the start of a memory of light. it will kickstart aviendha to look to change the future.

Re slayer I think being there in the flesh gives you more control which is why he's so hard. as when perrin tries really hard to do stuff hopper always said "you are here too strongly" making that point obvious.

I loved the scene when Perrin stop the balefire. I just thought to myself "well egwene, shows how rubbish you are in TAR - Perrin learnt to do that in like a week it's taken you half the series to get where you are, eat some humble pie amyrlin"

The problem with AS in TAR is they rely too heavily on the OP. It's instinctive and it places limits on them and slows them down.

That's why not just Perrin, but Bair, an old lady who can't channel, and undoubtedly Slayer and the other Aiel DW can pwn AS in TAR.

Perrins hammer to destroy the remaining seals anyone? There has to be a reason it happened...power wrought blades surely won't give his army that much of an advantage in the Last Battle...so why introduce it? Can't say I noticed his axe or other hammer taking so much damage in the past books that an indestructible hammer would be necessary just for battle...despite the added damage it deals.

Like the others here, I've always liked Perrin and hated how his storyline sometimes got bogged down with his constant whinging about leadership and responsibility ( and his aversion to it), although I tend to agree it was needed. I also was not a fan of Faile, as I thought her treatment of Perrin was harsh and uncalled for ( although unsurprising given the nature of WoT women). I'm very glad to see things change, both with Faile and Perrin, and to finally see Perrin be Mr awesome, but stil be in keeping with his character.

I'm really glad that Faile is a bit more supportive and not as acerbic to Perrin; indeed she seems a bit more mature and perceptive, and dare I say...loving...to Perrin, which of course just makes Perrin even more awesome. I think Morgase said it best that the two of them complement each other perfectly, and are a scary beast when taken together.

Another part I liked was the whole Galad/Perrin interplay, and am mildly surprised at how well they seem to be getting along. It's quite heartening to see Galad finally re-evaluate how he perceives things, and it's quite amusing to see the interaction between him and Berelain. I think it was pretty obvious who the man in white was in Berelain's future.

Hopper's....made me sad.

In the end though, this is about Perrin and his ascension to Wolf King. That scene when he forged his hammer, and with Neald's "awakening" of his latent Power-forging talent was just too awesome. That imagery that Galad provided was just perfect, something like " a monstrous bearded man wielding a glowing hammer" or something like that, i'll edit this when I have my book again.

Perrin's army must be huge, he's got Alliandre's army, then Mayene's, then the Two Rivers, then various folks they've met and recruited, and of course the Whitecloaks. Since it seems apparent that they work very very well as a single force ( they seem to pull off all of their tactics/strategy flawlessly) this is an army that is to be reckoned with, and Perrin is absolutely loyal to Rand. Combined with the Borderlanders, that is one hell of an army that Rand has.

As an aside, did anyone else get goosebumps when the wolves (and Perrin!!) were jumping for joy when Rand was able to turn aside the darkness? ( I assume this was when he destroyed the terangreal atop Dragonmount). For some reason, I envisioned hundred of ghostwolves ( from WoW) doing their dancing, with Perrin the biggest ghostwolf. That scene is one of my favorites.

Anyone notice how conveniently Perrin forgot about killing those Whitecloaks when he rescued Gaul? I was waiting for that revelation the entire build-up to the trial, yet no one mentions it, nor does Perrin even consider it for a second. That was an incident where more WCs were killed and was a lot more like murder than the time Perrin killed the two in tEotW.

Anyone notice how conveniently Perrin forgot about killing those Whitecloaks when he rescued Gaul? I was waiting for that revelation the entire build-up to the trial, yet no one mentions it, nor does Perrin even consider it for a second. That was an incident where more WCs were killed and was a lot more like murder than the time Perrin killed the two in tEotW.

Well they did attack him first, didn't they?

I was more disappointed that he didn't find out that it wasn't Trollocs who killed his family, but WC's. That would have been more interesting. Maybe in the next book that'll happen.

Well they did attack him first, didn't they?

I was more disappointed that he didn't find out that it wasn't Trollocs who killed his family, but WC's. That would have been more interesting. Maybe in the next book that'll happen.

Nobody on the WC side knows about the Gaul rescue. Perrin and Gaul didn't leave too many witnesses (Faile was the only one IIRC). Lan (and Moriaine) know as well of course.

I think all the Perrin and Faile haters need to take a step back and realize we are not watching a movie. I know that Perrin's development seemed slow; but why do we read books? One of the reasons I read books is because it stimulates my brain in ways that movies and FPS games cannot. If you step back and look at the entire series each major character has developed. Some in ways that we do not like but, just like in life things are not predictable. In life there are periods of stagnation in personal, work or athetic development and then there are periods of extreme activity. For thousands of years humanity could only travel as fast as a horse could carry it. Look what has happened in the last 150 years? THe same goes for characters like Perrin. Slow build up and boom! Watch me fly!

I have enjoyed this series thoughly. All of the "sniffs", "boxing of the ears", "Mat know about women", "Rand know about women", etc.

Something I was thinking about, when reading about the part with Perrin and the wolves in the wolf dream watching Rand's struggle with himself atop dragonmount, was Min's vision regarding Perrin and his need to be near rand twice or else bad stuff would happen to Rand. I wonder if this could be considered the second time, even though he technically wasn't by Rand, but Rand's reflection in the wolf dream. Granted that Rand didn't know that he was there, it doesn't negate the fact that he indeed was close by. Just something to chew on, a bit different than Perrin being there to save rand's skin from the gathered rulers opposed to his isdea of breaking the seals ( which is also very plausible).

Did anybody else think that Slayer purposefully set Graendal up for the fall? He knew that Perrin could enter the Dreamworld, yet didn't bother to protect the spike in any way. And during their confrontation at the WT there were several instances were Slayer could have killed Perrin, but chose to beat him up instead. Also, he seems in a somewhat strange position of not being responsible for his failures in any way, despite usual Shadow's MO being the opposite. Hm...

Anyone believe now that RJ's ______ (blank) in the blight is a portal stone?

The blank seems more likely to be a rogue tribe of Aiel DFs / dreadlord city.

There are probably many portals in the Blight - they predate it, unlike the Ways, which only existed in the outlying areas, which the Blight gradually enveloped.

We need more discussion about the prophecy. I think we can assume the excerpt at the end was the passage Moridin showed to Graendal.

"The last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come."

Could it be said that Prerrin's pride in being a blacksmith blocked him from accepting leadership? So then that may be fulfilled.

"Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself."

Vague but at the same time clear in a disturbing way. I do not believe the broken wolf to be hopper, since his "destruction" wouldn't affect as many men as the passage implies. Note that the "And his destruction..." does not capitalize the word "his" so it can't be refering to the DO, it should really be referring to the Broken Wolf.

I read it over and over and I cannot see this fulfilling without Perrin dying which would probably mean loosing TG.

Unless... The Wolf is not Perrin. Remember anyone else refered to as the wolf? Rodel Ituralde. Yep. Poor guy :(

Archived