DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss Aviendha's Arc

Luckers

Many of you seem to be forgeting small things that you learned earlier in the series. Whatever paths are possible are taken in one world or its parrell. The events that Avi saw WILL happen but the question is what world would such events take place.

The choice has always layed in the hands of these characters. Nothing is guaranteed unless the chosen ones choose it to be so.

My opinion? I dont find the world Avi sees that distasteful. I think that it is sometimes our fantasy that things will end "happily ever after" yet in the Wot it nevet seems to. Heroes die untimely deaths. Small decisions made by a couple of individuals throw humanity into decades of war. Thats the Wot. Why should the next age be any different.

It sort of proves Rand was right: people make the same STUPID mistakes over and over again.

And out of the misery of the aiel, i am guessing new prophecy could arise looking forward to the rebirth of the Dragon. Over and over again

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember what she was thinking before she went through the second time. She felt let down because she didn't gain any knowledge. Then, she specifically tried to read the columns.

Before Rand, the columns showed the Aiel what they needed to see. After he basically revealed it, that became unnecessary. Time and time again throughout the entire series T'A'R is linked to ter'angreal that show possible futures or alternate realities. Look at Nynaeves Accepted and Aes Sedai tests. She overpowered the ter'angreal to such an extent that she did what was believed to be impossible. She cheated from the Aes Sedai POV lol. Avi desired a vision that would strain her honor. She touched the columns and tried to figure out their original function. Then she got a vision which was about the worst thing that could happen to the Aiel. Not just the Aiel as a people, but linked to Avi directly. And just like Nynaeve and Egwene's Accepted test, I believe they showed her a vision that included her desires and was flecked with a tiny bit of truth. (See Sharina for Nynaeve and Egwene being the Amyrlin raised from the green without taking the vows.)

I have no hard evidence that is what the columns did. I know they showed an accurate past, however it's much easier to read the past than it is the future.

Also, where are the Male Aiel Channelers? I may have skimmed over it, but the Aiel produce a river of chicks who can channel. It stands to reason that there would be a corresponding river of Male channlers, who are also beasts in unarmed combat. With their martial training, they would make even better channlers, because they already have the focus and concentration skills to pick up channeling.

It seems like Rand is leaving a club in his bag for them. I sort of hope that Logain is converting Aiel male channelers.

This could have been mentioned as I haven't read the whole thread, but the Aiel male channelers go to the Blight.

***SPOILER for the epilogue***

I believe those are who the merchant in the epilogue saw. I belive the DO had 13 darkfriends turn these Aiel. Imagine how many there would be by now?

Related to this, I also believe all the men in the Black Tower that are coming back different had the same thing done to them. The DO's forces will be even stronger than I imagined. How scary is that.

Some random thoughts:

The plan to show that suldam can channel has to fail for this future to work. Either the plan gets sacked or something happens and it gets squelched...I could almost see another civil war breaking out from the revelation with the pro-damane structure side winning. Except what would that mean for the powerful military force we see in the vision.

Speaking of civil war, how does this future mesh with what we know is happening in Seanchan? Surely the empress cannot ignore Seanchan completely... Wouldn't she have to take some of her forces back there to put an end to the fighting. If so, how would they have enough to be such a force in the Westlands?

We don't see Avi at the meeting her children are at, but we know that Avi's grandchild Oncala has seen Avi, "The worst part was, the woman--Oncala--had though of her mother's mother. Her greatmother. Inside Oncala's head, there had been a face attached to that title. Aviendha had recognized it. As her own." So where was she at this point?

What happened to the Rhuidean ter'angreal that they use in Clan Chief/Wise One testing? If it still works out that the one shows possible futures (even if the columns stop working or still only show the past) then more people than just Avi should know about this possible future (unless it's not real).

I don't see Rand kneeling in submission...even the new Rand...especially the new Rand.

I don't see the WT agreeing to keep the peace so long as channelers are made damane...even if Egwene doesn't survive. I don't see Rand allowing channelers to go on being chained up.

Ah well, we'll see.

Shouldn't lines like "The Dragon asked for peace" read more like "The car'a'carn asked for peace"? I know it's a different generation, but they'd still be infulenced by their parents.

Actually, its impossible for these characters to see the future. They only see possibilities. In fact, that makes sense when we consider how the wise ones relayed their "visions" to rand at Rhuidean. It was always "if" you dont do this, you will certainly die. They said similar things to Moiraine. Almost as if they went through the tereangreal and saw a devasted world and were able to trace it back to Rand not entering Rhuidean.

I am beginning to think that this is how the wise ones have been getting their info of the future. So they put it all together and perhaps have their own prophecies that SHOULDNT happen!

Something that I just picked up while re-reading the columns scene; the "Queen of Andor" is mentioned as is the allies of the "Court of the Sun" implying that Andor and Cairhien aren't unified. So since that's already happened by the end of ToM can we not assume that steps have already been taken to prevent this future from happening?

When there was the mention of Avi's daughter possibly hooking up with Rhurac's son did anyone else go "Ewww?"

Rhurac's other wife is Avi's second mother(aunt) so unless the guy was Amys's son that would mean he was Avi's second brother(cousin) which would mean her daughter was his cousin once removed.

I think that marriage would be outlawed in every state in the US because it would be considered incest.

Many of you seem to be forgeting small things that you learned earlier in the series. Whatever paths are possible are taken in one world or its parrell. The events that Avi saw WILL happen but the question is what world would such events take place.

The choice has always layed in the hands of these characters. Nothing is guaranteed unless the chosen ones choose it to be so.

My opinion? I dont find the world Avi sees that distasteful. I think that it is sometimes our fantasy that things will end "happily ever after" yet in the Wot it nevet seems to. Heroes die untimely deaths. Small decisions made by a couple of individuals throw humanity into decades of war. Thats the Wot. Why should the next age be any different.

It sort of proves Rand was right: people make the same STUPID mistakes over and over again.

And out of the misery of the aiel, i am guessing new prophecy could arise looking forward to the rebirth of the Dragon. Over and over again

I said it on an other tread perhaps but the seanchan can't fight the DO they will be smashed down as their most powerful weapon will be turn against them .

Seanchan way of life is attracting but it only rest on the shoulder of their slave , the channeler , what Rand as seen as good is a mockery of good because it is based on an abomination .

The future is in flux- all choices happen in the multiverse, some more apt to have happened than others. (remember his first portal adventure to where the trollocs won)

remember back in umm book 4? when rand portals the aiel to the waste, the scene in the sweat tent with moraine and the wise ones.

I think it is amys/bair who is talking to moraine and she accidentally tells moraine that she will die unless she goes to rhuieden to go through the rings.. then says, see we have already changed the future- in the dream it was moraine demanding to be allowed to go.

that said my main question is

where has she BEEN all this time. its been AT LEAST 35 days since she gated to cold rock hold.

it takes ~1 week to get from there to the City (12 days with peddlers who go SLOW)

so we have 7 days to city and i assume the same amount of time for a woman vs man for the crystal T to learn the past of the Aiel....

7-10 days first time through

7-10 days second time through

we are at ~21-27 days....

So...where is she?

This is why I love Robert Jordan's works. The answer to whether or not this is "real" was given way back in The Great Hunt.

Throughout The Great Hunt, there is a lot of talk about the world of dreams and alternate worlds. One things that comes up is this "If I woman turns left or right, what happens? Is there a new world for each turning? A world for every decision?" (I apologize, I don't have The Great Hunt with me right now, so I'm paraphrasing)

Simply put, Aviendha could have turned "left" and walked away from the pillars. Instead, she turned right, and studied the pillars, then entered them. There is a different world for every decision she made there.

Now - The pillars have one primary function, with two secondary functions. Their primary function is to show people what they need to see in order to test them. The secondary functions are showing the future and the past, based on your own bloodlines. As their is only one past for the world you are in, you will see the past. This is what the Aiel needed. When Aviendha studied the pillars (which, you will recall, have the sense of being alive and sentient to her), the pillars realized that what they needed to show had changed. They no longer needed to show the past, but needed to show the future. Now, the pillars didn't have a single, linear future to choose from. They had literally an infinite amount of choices. My guess is they use two criteria to choose which future to show. Of all possible futures, which ones are most likely? This narrows the choices some, but the second criteria is more important, which future does this person need to see? The pillars then isolated the future that Aviendha needed to see the most, in order to guide her actions and decisions towards a positive conclusion.

As you can see, Aviendha has passed through a turning point. The world has branched off, and the decisions that would lead to the world we saw are now no longer valid. That world is now no longer the future of the "prime" world, as it becomes less and less likely, it will fade, eventually achieving the washed-out and unhinged nature of the world that Rand, Loail and Hurin rode through.

I also believe that you cannot go through the pillars twice, much as you cannot use the Redstone doorways to the lands of the Snakes and Foxes twice. However, when Aviendha's actions convinced the pillars to change what they showed, you are now going through a completely different doorway, even though it looks the same, therefore she could go through twice.

Please note that the first of Aviendha's future visions occured when she stepped away from the pillars. This vision convinced her to return and go through the pillars again.

I know they showed an accurate past, however it's much easier to read the past than it is the future.

The only thing I'd add is that we always need to rememember that in the WOT the past also is the future. So it isn't necessarily hard to see, as the columns could be showing Avi what happened on the previous turning of the Wheel.

I know they showed an accurate past, however it's much easier to read the past than it is the future.

The only thing I'd add is that we always need to rememember that in the WOT the past also is the future. So it isn't necessarily hard to see, as the columns could be showing Avi what happened on the previous turning of the Wheel.

I wouldn't think so, as the names and faces are identical. I don't think that the same people exist in the different ages, just the same souls (think of Birgitte, how she's had thousands of different names and slightly different faces throughout, and she's tied to the horn! The average Joe would have vastly varying names and faces through the ages). What remains the same is the basic framework of the age - For example, the second age ends with a huge war between the DO and the forces of light, and the world is shattered. The third age then lasts with the forces of light and the forces of the DO skirmishing and fighting for three millenia, ending the the last battle. While the dragon fights at the end of the second and third ages, he bears a different name, face and body each time.

Of course, I'm not Brandon Sanderson, and I'm certainly not Robert Jordan. You could very well be right there.

This scene bothered me for a while after my reading, the horrible fate of the Aiel and seeing how the world can continue down a dark path even after the last battle is incredibly disheartening.

Disheartening, but realistic. Remember Nicola's foretelling from Book Six?

"The great battle done, but the world not done with battle."

Even after the Dark One is defeated, there will be many battles ahead.

True, but that doesn't necessarily conflict with the Dragon's Peace. Even if things go as well for the Light as we could hope there is still the reconquest of Seanchan/Matt outrigger to consider.

Re: Various forms of victory over the Dark One.

Holy ****. So the Wheel of Time is actually a Japanese video game and Darth Rand can only get Ending A at best? Can he at least save his character experience for re-plays?

The bit which annoys me is the whole 'the adam's are the damn problem' thoughts they have of the Seanchan.

Treaty with the Seanchan or not, with agreement to leave them their current damane or not, Egwene and Nynaeve should have the flick of Power (and it's a flick a Novice should be able to do, it's not a complex weave of the 5 powers requiring a circle or wondergirl strength) to open an adam should be taught right now to every women who can channel - Aes Sedai, Wise Ones, Kin, Windfinders. And tell the men what they do so they can quickly figure an equivalent male version.

It's a massive plot contrivance that the Seanchan are going to be a threat in the future. Their opponents should be in circles (even if only 2) and as soon as damane appear free them. A circle tops a damane, and you only need one circle free (or even a single channeler who knows the trick) in a battle of dozens or hundreds to soon have almost every adam attached only to a sul'dams wrist.

If I could pick only one thing to happen in AMOL, it'd be Tuon having an adam snapped around her neck (by anyone except Egwene - that'd be the arrogant leading the pig-headed or vice versa) and made in front of all the Seanchan Blood left to try and carry her adam across the room. 'Ooohh I'm sorry Empress, if you'd like it off, just hold this little white rod and swear to follow the Dragon Reborn and release all your damane'.

1. A circle might beat a shield, but it wouldn't guard against the ground exploding beneath their feet. Seanchan kill what they can't capture.

2. Freeing a damane can be dangerous. Some strike out frantically to kill whoever freed them so that they can be recollared.

3. Tuon might not be restrained by the a'dam. My theory is that a woman has to be at least on the cusp of embracing on her own to be controlled by the a'dam, that same closeness to saidar is what (I believe) allows a woman to see the weaves of another channeler (a talent found among sul'dam that are more experienced--older--with damane). Controlling an a'dam doesn't require that same closeness (just the ability to one day touch saidar).

Do we know if Tuon can see weaves? She certainly reacted when the weaves she sent through one of the Aes Sedai melted on touching Mat, but was she aware of the melted weaves because she left them disappear from the Aes Sedai she leashed or because she saw the weaves melt?

Honestly, the real solution to the a'dam is a weave that can destroy them. An "Anti-A'dam Pulse" would be perfect (but I imagine a weave to destroy all ter'angreal in range could also suffice). But you are still left with the problem of what to do about the damane that have been broken. Deprogramming takes time. Even Alivia needed time to understand that freedom was a legitimate lifestyle for herself.

We shall put that statement to the test , i think it is more of a spiral then of a circle .

But use an A'dam against tuon won't be a good idea she must see reason and she shall using the all "tower of midnight thing"

We shall put that statement to the test , i think it is more of a spiral then of a circle .

But use an A'dam against tuon won't be a good idea she must see reason and she shall using the all "tower of midnight thing"

As of KoD according to RJ, Tuon wouldn't have been held by the a'dam. She hasn't done much sul'daming since.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I can't help to think about Aviendha realising that it is HER children and grandchildren and so on that pretty much cause the fall of the Aiel. Perhaps she will sacrifice herself or not have children with Rand or something to prevent it from happening? Anyways, just a thought...

I was considering that the dark haired of Avi's children might have actually been Min's. Maybe born the same day and raised as siblings or transferred to Avi via OP because Min is dying. I remember Min's viewing about how (paraphrasing here) Avi would have four kids but something was unusual about it.

Also I tend to agree that the columns showed a possible future.

Jen-

Why does everyone assume Mat, Perrin and Rand had died from the viewings? Did I miss something?

There was talk of a "Lord of the Two Rivers", perhaps Perrin's offspring? So Faile would have to get preggy before last battle, though this is a leap in the dark from me.

Mat was going to be in outriggers.... shakey ground I know but there it is. It didn't say Tuon died either, maybe she learned to channel and got chained (thus short reign)

Rand was said to have "abandoned" the Aiel, not dead. Doesn't prove he died.

If there was something I missed reading that tells us otherwise please inform me nicely :) I'm still sensitive about not having AMoL aswell, so I can keep reading :P

Another quick question, if Rand and Avi's offspring could hold the One Power 24/7 from birth, would it be possible to shield them? Probably but if they had always held it........

Avi could help prevent it in a number of ways:

Get Aiel included in truce - Likely

Let the Aiel as a people know about the future - Likely

Still/gentle/kill her children - Unlikely

Convince Aiel to give up the spear - Unlikely

I've got some ideas on why the Aiel lost in their war with the Seanchan. The decision to go to war with the Seanchan appears to happen somewhere between 17 to 20 years after the end of the 3rd age. With gateways this could have been enough time for Fortuona to reunify the old Seanchan lands and perhaps get offed in the process. This means the Aiel took on a continent larger than Randland that had been rested for some length of time (say 5-10 years). Thats the first problem.

The 2nd is that the Aiel did not change. They were the best warriors of their age, however times have changed. One power is used in battle by the Seanchan (who have already show they can trash Aiel with channelers) and the eventual propagation of gunpowder (final straw really, ask the Native American how well they did against muskets... ). This changes the nature of war enough that the Aiel are in effect obsolete. The Aiel's strength has always been their dedication, I mean it's the meaning of their name.

Here is what I think needs to happen. In the Age of Legends the Aiel were dedicated to Peace absolutely. In the 3rd age they were dedicated to war (or perhaps something like strength or honor.) So basically in the 4th age they need to dedicate themselves to something new. I see a few options for them post TG where they have a purpose:

1. They could be give then task of enforcing the dragons peace. Become the world's police as such, this would work well after time I think.

2. They could tie themselves to the Aes Sedai and return to their position as servants of the Tower. (Feels unlikely this, too much of going backwards. Doesn't seem to happen like that RJs work.)

3. They could take up the way of the leaf again. Possible, but again it feels like going backwards too soon. I think the way of the leaf needs to be forgotten before it can be recreated in the next Age of Legends.

4. They could pick some land and try and become a nation like the rest of Randland. ( I think this is the choice they take in Avi's vision.)

Any thoughts on this?

As of KoD according to RJ, Tuon wouldn't have been held by the a'dam. She hasn't done much sul'daming since.

Hm... this is strange. All other sul'dam who can see the weaves can be held by the a'dam. Tuon told Mat in KoD that she saw how the weaves touching him melted. Ergo...

Also, she has a trick that no other sul'dam seems to have and that should be impossible - she can make a newly-caught, unbroken damane embrace saidar against her will and make weaves without her cooperation. She did it with Joline. The only other people who could do that were various channelers.

This makes me suspect that maybe Tuon is a channeler who wears a ter'angrial similar to one of Elayne's foxhead copies, that prevents her from actually channeling. But since she can enjoy the OP at small remove as a sul'dam, she doesn't suffer from withdrawal either.

Re: Seanchan in the vision, I don't see how damane could overcome linked mixed circles, of which Aiel should have plenty, as they clearly accept male channelers in the vision. Cue Cadsuane's circle against the FS. Ditto with their allies. And damane making great strides in new usages of the OP? Absurd, isn't it? None of this makes sense. Men and women working together are far greater than the sum of them working separately. Seanchan should have been beaten on the OP front by Aiel alone.

And yes, every character of consequence in the series proper has to be dead 20 or so years after TG for this scenario to be possible.

The Aiel will just have to learn to ride the sandworms and use sonic weaponry. Jokes aside the Aiel do seem doomed. Either they don't change with the times and they'll end up getting wiped out or they'll change too much and lose the cultural identity which makes them Aiel. I can't think of a way they can remain a strong people in a future of rapid technologic advance and channellers involved on battlefields while remaining true to themselves. They would need a power of their own, something which no one else has or can easily copy.

I've got some ideas on why the Aiel lost in their war with the Seanchan. The decision to go to war with the Seanchan appears to happen somewhere between 17 to 20 years after the end of the 3rd age. With gateways this could have been enough time for Fortuona to reunify the old Seanchan lands and perhaps get offed in the process. This means the Aiel took on a continent larger than Randland that had been rested for some length of time (say 5-10 years). Thats the first problem.

The 2nd is that the Aiel did not change. They were the best warriors of their age, however times have changed. One power is used in battle by the Seanchan (who have already show they can trash Aiel with channelers) and the eventual propagation of gunpowder (final straw really, ask the Native American how well they did against muskets... ). This changes the nature of war enough that the Aiel are in effect obsolete. The Aiel's strength has always been their dedication, I mean it's the meaning of their name.

Here is what I think needs to happen. In the Age of Legends the Aiel were dedicated to Peace absolutely. In the 3rd age they were dedicated to war (or perhaps something like strength or honor.) So basically in the 4th age they need to dedicate themselves to something new. I see a few options for them post TG where they have a purpose:

1. They could be give then task of enforcing the dragons peace. Become the world's police as such, this would work well after time I think.

2. They could tie themselves to the Aes Sedai and return to their position as servants of the Tower. (Feels unlikely this, too much of going backwards. Doesn't seem to happen like that RJs work.)

3. They could take up the way of the leaf again. Possible, but again it feels like going backwards too soon. I think the way of the leaf needs to be forgotten before it can be recreated in the next Age of Legends.

4. They could pick some land and try and become a nation like the rest of Randland. ( I think this is the choice they take in Avi's vision.)

Any thoughts on this?

Perhaps not Perrin but can you think of Rand and Matt letting the seanchan goes on with their A'dam thing ?

Any thoughts on this?

Perhaps not Perrin but can you think of Rand and Matt letting the seanchan goes on with their A'dam thing ?

And if not those two it should be the no.1 priority for Egwene and her new alliance. Right now they still outnumber the Seanchan damane by quite a large margin, they should hunt down every a'dam in existence and kill or atleast memory wipe everyone who knows how to make them. But for that the Aes Sedai would have to go on the offensive and stage raids of their own, because in open battle they are no match for damane.

Any thoughts on this?

And if not those two it should be the no.1 priority for Egwene and her new alliance. Right now they still outnumber the Seanchan damane by quite a large margin, they should hunt down every a'dam in existence and kill or atleast memory wipe everyone who knows how to make them. But for that the Aes Sedai would have to go on the offensive and stage raids of their own, because in open battle they are no match for damane.

The oath won't allow that , and that will use resources that can't be spare with the LB ,and the with tower can't win against the seanchan Aviendha's vision prove that .

Isha did a "good " job messing with their culture

Archived