DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss Aviendha's Arc

Luckers

I agree with at least a bit of part one. The Aiel are under no requirement to the Dragon's Peace so, yes, they had every right to declare war on whoever they wished. As far as Shaido go, the prevailing view atm seems to be they aren't true Aiel, they broke the old ways, and so they deserve what they get.

As far as the Dragon's Peace goes its true it'd not hold forever... but I think, considering Rand's implied influence and strength, and the fact that we only see how the Aiel view the kneeling to Fortuona, that it would have lasted as much as 1000 years, similar to the Ten Nations after the Breaking. And that 1000 years has all the time in the world for the Seanchan to stop what they're doing with damane, to change their ways, and perhaps even have a balance of power begin in which they can't take the rest of the continent.

The Aiel blew it, discarding the centuries of peace that might have prepared the world for the coming days. I'd be a lot more willing to ignore this fact if the Aiel we saw followed ji'e'toh. But they don't.

Personaly I don't think the peace would have hold for a 1000 years, the reason it did for the ten nations was that they knew that the dark ones forces could have attacked anytime. And it wasn't like it was peace all the time any way, we get to see atleast one of Mats memories happening about 400 years before the trollock wars. So they still fought against each other but never on the level to destroy themself, more like border skirmishes and things like that. Wich is what Aviendhas daughter said already had started to happen and this was only like 20 years after the peace was enforced.

But I agree with the other posters that this future won't happen, Avi will get Rand to change and do what is needed to change both the aiel and the seanchan.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just desperately hoping that this vision is cautionary rather than really being the future. I know there are Seanchan apologists on the boards, but in my book the Seanchan winning is just a step down from the Shadow winning. I was depressed for 24 hours after reading this--it just CAN'T end that way!

I think it is a possible future.

For 1, we have a big hint tuon will channel and probably bond matt. If she channels, doubtful the seanchan empire will continue to use damane. We also knows she survives for at least a little while because an outrigger novel was planned to recapture the homeland. But that could all happen before the ail attack i suppose.

Wait a moment. I just realized something.

Considering people think Nakomi is Verin, Aviendha likely went through the columns when Darth Rand was around, not Super Rand.

Is this the future if Darth Rand had fought the Last Battle?

I would say that had 'Darth Rand' fought at the end of the 3rd age, there wouldn't even have been a 4th age at all.

Isn't that exactly what the wolfs tell Perrin when they gather to see Rand heal himself?

I'm just desperately hoping that this vision is cautionary rather than really being the future. I know there are Seanchan apologists on the boards, but in my book the Seanchan winning is just a step down from the Shadow winning. I was depressed for 24 hours after reading this--it just CAN'T end that way!

I think it is a possible future.

For 1, we have a big hint tuon will channel and probably bond matt. If she channels, doubtful the seanchan empire will continue to use damane. We also knows she survives for at least a little while because an outrigger novel was planned to recapture the homeland. But that could all happen before the ail attack i suppose.

She start to channel, tries to keep it a secret but some sul'dam finds out before Tuon knews what to do and suddenly there is a new damane and the empress is gone. The fact that an outrigger novel was planned is one more point that this is a possible future that actually won't happen becuase of Aviendha making Rand do what is needed to stop it.

Considering people think Nakomi is Verin, Aviendha likely went through the columns when Darth Rand was around, not Super Rand.

Well, this vision is something to be used going forward in the series, so I really doubt it's referencing a plotline that was wrapped up in the last one.

I would say that had 'Darth Rand' fought at the end of the 3rd age, there wouldn't even have been a 4th age at all.

Great point about Darth Rand. I hadn't even really considered it. But that is a possibility. The time line in this one really confused me.

And yes, Darth Rand would have won the LB. I made the point in an earlier post that the DO utilizes different game theory than the mortals. He can play for future games. Even if he doesn't win this LB, he can improve his chances for winning the next last battle. The mortals can't play that way. They have to win this LB without regards to who wins the next one. Darth Rand was ruthless enough to win. He had some access to LTTs memories and abilities, so he might have done it. He might have actually just used sheer force to beat the DO. But it would have been a fleeting victory. He would have left behind a fractured world ripe for the Seanchan, who would have quickly gone about erasing the memory of the Dragon, supressing all fortelling of him, and quickly eroding the knowlegde and skill bases of the world's channelers. Thus, the DO wins NEXT time. If you are eternal, living outside the Wheel of Time, does it really matter when you win? Now, three Millenia, eh, what's the real difference?

Rand is not just fighting this LB. He has to leave behind the groundwork for the next one. He has to live, so that he can unite the AS and AM. To liberate the chained channelers. And also to leave behind specific instructions. I mean, if he does it right, the DO might never seriously threaten the world. The FOL can hunt down and exterminate the Shadowspawn. Secret records can ultimately be passed down detailing the existance of the DO, what not to do (or what to watch for if people try to liberate him), and how to seal him up lickity split if he is set free, intentionally or no. It took decades in the AOL for people to realize what was going on, and by that time he had built up his forces. If the next genaration of AS knew what to look for, they would be able to seal him back up before too much damage was done.

I agree with at least a bit of part one. The Aiel are under no requirement to the Dragon's Peace so, yes, they had every right to declare war on whoever they wished. As far as Shaido go, the prevailing view atm seems to be they aren't true Aiel, they broke the old ways, and so they deserve what they get.

As far as the Dragon's Peace goes its true it'd not hold forever... but I think, considering Rand's implied influence and strength, and the fact that we only see how the Aiel view the kneeling to Fortuona, that it would have lasted as much as 1000 years, similar to the Ten Nations after the Breaking. And that 1000 years has all the time in the world for the Seanchan to stop what they're doing with damane, to change their ways, and perhaps even have a balance of power begin in which they can't take the rest of the continent.

The Aiel blew it, discarding the centuries of peace that might have prepared the world for the coming days. I'd be a lot more willing to ignore this fact if the Aiel we saw followed ji'e'toh. But they don't.

Noa the Aiel didn't blew it. They gave Seanchan every chance to return back Aiel slaves. They even offered peace offerings and gold to purchase those Aiel slaves. What did the Sesnchan do? They parade the Aiel slaves around them as to mock the Aiel and pokIng the eyes, creating blood feuds many times over. It was on the order of several magnitude worse than Laman's Sin. As I'm concerned the Aiel were in the right to fight against the Seanchan.

Secret records can ultimately be passed down detailing the existance of the DO, what not to do (or what to watch for if people try to liberate him), and how to seal him up lickity split if he is set free, intentionally or no. It took decades in the AOL for people to realize what was going on, and by that time he had built up his forces. If the next genaration of AS knew what to look for, they would be able to seal him back up before too much damage was done.

Yeah, but there are seven ages. If Rand fully seals the prison, that means that there are about 18 thousand years between now and the next War of Power. Technology is apparently gained and lost throughout the ages, so to keep the knowledge of the DO alive for that long is practically impossible.

I agree that having a good end to the present Third Age will help set Team Light up well for the next Last Battle. But I think that the system may be specifically set up to give the DO a fighting chance during each War of Power and TG.

Noa the Aiel didn't blew it. They gave Seanchan every chance to return back Aiel slaves. They even offered peace offerings and gold to purchase those Aiel slaves. What did the Sesnchan do? They parade the Aiel slaves around them as to mock the Aiel and pokIng the eyes, creating blood feuds many times over. It was on the order of several magnitude worse than Laman's Sin. As I'm concerned the Aiel were in the right to fight against the Seanchan.

And they were in the right to trick the other nations into joining them? That's how they blew it. Not by fighting the Seanchan themselves, but by essentially lying to the Queen of Andor.

ETA: It should be noted that this actually hurt the Aiel even more as the Seanchan had more women to use as damane after the Peace was broken. So not only was it incredibly dishonorable but a huge strategic blunder. The Aiel in Aviendha's vision are not the Aiel we know and love.

The entire future scene was alluded to in Nicola's fortelling back in LoC.

"The lion sword, the dedicated spear"

This clearly refers to Rand's lineage.

"she who sees beyond"

I would say that Aviendha is without a doubt "she who sees beyond" though I suppose it could also refer to Min (as was assumed previously by many). I think this refers to Aviendha though since the visions Min sees ALWAYS come true, and thus, can't be changed. Why would there need to be a fortelling about that? There's every indication that how Aviendha reacts to this vision has the potential to change the entire destiny of the world. That's obviously something that would be fortold.

"Three on the boat"

We still don't know about this one for sure.

", and he who is dead yet lives."

Obiously this is Rand with his new memories of being Lews Therin and his other previous selves.

"The last battle done, but the world not done with battles."

Clearly shown in Aviendha's vision, though I'm in the camp that thinks this is a vision of the possible future only.

"The land divided by the return,"

Clearly refers to the Seanchan.

"and the guardians balance the servants."

This is obviously the Ash'aman and the Aes Sedai- the White tower and the Black.

"The future teeters on the edge of a blade."

Well duh!

I have to agree this was one of the most poignant and disturbing chapters in the series. Clearly Avhienda will need to do something to change this future. Exactly what that is? I guess we'll find out in the next book.

Then who's the third person on the boat slappy?

Forget that last part. Actually not really, but kinda. Anyway, if you look at the wording it explicitly says there is at least three people on our little yellow submarine, then a fourth person is implicity implied. You only have two people, I hope you see my point. I'm tired...

Forget that too, lets keep this simple

There is at least 3 people almost certainly 4. You are missing people.

I really wonder just how reliable that ter'angreal is. There's a lot that seems... off.

Aside from the perpetual channeling, there are just... oddities. Some of them can be explained by the amount of time passing (ie, "Blood and char" vs "blood and ashes") but the difference between "may she live forever" and "may she always draw breath"... "sit and share my shade" was never heard before, though perhaps that's just a measure of how much he respects her.

The "Dragon Blooded" thing was odd as well. Rand was the car'a'carn but he was never openly worshipped. Well, maybe after sealing the DO he would be... speaking of which, no mention of that at all, aside from Rand "disappearing."

Nobody except WO and the DB could channel? What about male channelers?

Rand "forced" to bow to the Empress? (probably not reliable either way, but still)

Tuon seen by Rhuarc as "honorable"? Not yet, but perhaps...

Rand leaving the Aiel "adrift"? What happened to the remnant of a remnant? What happened to the toh that I'm sure he'll fulfill?

It's a possible future, I suppose, but Padra says something about Aviendha worrying about the Aiel's place in the world... which she was just doing. But will she now, knowing that she has to do something? Did the ter'angreal maybe just react to her and what she was thinking, showing her a possible future based on her thoughts, and not one necessarily probable?

Hm.

Let's say that Rand as with the Borderland leader accept the term of the Seanchan , their is peace he can fight the last battle (win it perhaps) but ,like we see in Aviendha vision , he set the ground for a future not only tragic for the Aiel but also for Mankind .

I as been implied that the seanchean can't win against the shadow ,it was one of the alternate vision of the timeline when Rand use the portal stone , their is their way of life we like Fain said it was easy to control and without male or female channeler being anything but beast hunted .

So basically Rand ,Matt and Aviendha must free the Seanchan of their corrupted way , i don't like the formulation but it is good enough for them .

Guest Druidan

I wonder if Mat was in ToG while Aviendha was seeing these visions. If so, thy may be a future where Mat is not there to Protect/influence Tuon and restructure the Empire the way he suggested to the two former sul'dame. The effect would be similar to how Moraine didn't see a future past the docks at Cairhien.

This was definitely one of the more thought provoking chapters in the book, and would be quite distressing if it did come to pass. However, I think it just serves as a catalyst for whatever Avi may end up doing in AMoL, if indeed she does something. It does serve as an interesting counterpoint post-TG, since it shows that just because you defeat the DO doesn't mean everything will be roses afterwards ( in fact, you could make a correlation between what happened at the end of Age of Legends and this, if it did come to pass).

Regarding the Aiel vs Seanchan, I was under the impression that the Aiel had held the Seanchan to a stalemate but needed allies to take the advantage, which of course led to the whole scheme with misrepresenting the Seanchan and backfiring. I assume that is how they broke the Dragon's Peace, not because they went to war with the Seanchan, but tried to drag the other nations into it. I do wonder though how feasible it would be to include them in the Peace, considering their feelings towards them ( at one point, Amys had told some Wise one that the Seanchan would feel their spears but not until after TG).

As for the Dragon's Peace, I wonder when this actually happens? Could it happen at the meeting with Egwene and the other rulers? Perhaps it is one of the "demands" that Rand has for Egwene et al. Whilst there is no Seanchan present, any Accord or treaty could be presented to the Seanchan at a later date. Alternatively, it could also easily be post-TG, when presumedly there'd be a lot casualties and most would want peace at that time.

Lastly, I'm still unsure what to think about the whole Rand kneeling to Fortuona. While it's been intimated that the Seanchan prophecies have been twisted/corrupted by ishamael, it doesn't necesarily negate them completely. As well, was it supposed to happen before the Last Battle? If not, there isn't much time for that to happen...

Ok, last lastly.....I echo what someone mentioned about the male Aiel channelers, where the heck are they? I would've thought they'd stop going to the Blight and go to the BT instead, to train and whatnot.

Time for a more thorough reread.

I liked this arc. Though I've got to admit, it was a bit disorientating at first when she went back into the columns but I suppose that the was the intended effect. It was sad to see what became of the Aiel and what they had been reduced to but Aviendha's the one to change it I guess.

A couple of points:

I think that Avi's vision in the columns will lead her to conclude that the Aiel must return to the Way of the Leaf. I have a few reasons for thinking this:

1. The discussion with Nakomi centered on the underlying reason/purpose of the Aiel's self-imposed exile to the Three-fold Land. Nakomi argues (and Avi agrees) that life in the Waste served a dual function: a) to punish the Aiel for abandoning the Way, and b) to prepare them to meet their toh by fighting (and presumably dying in large numbers) in the Last Battle for the Dragon Reborn. Once the Dragon has no more need of a fanatically loyal army of marathon-running ninja-Vikings, their lifestyle of constant internecine warfare in a hard land becomes unnecessary (from the Pattern's point of view). And, once they have met their toh, they are free to forget the sin that gave rise to it, i.e. abandonning the Way of the Leaf. The only way to move past that sin is to stop committing it and return to the Way. To continue in their warrior lifestyle would be to abandon ji'e'toh.

2. A number of events depicted in the visions indicate that the source of the problem is the Aiel's inability to abandon a life of violence. This inability has both internal and external causes. The primary external cause seems to be that Rand failed to include them in the Peace. This left them free to wage a war of aggression on the Seanchan. (Rand also seems to have botched the negotiations with the Seanchan by failing to deal with the problem of the captured Wise Ones--and, more generally, the damane problem as a whole). The primary internal cause seems to be their self-image as a warrior people, a perception that was probably reinforced by Rand's failure to include them in the peace treaty.

All of that taken together suggests that in order for the Aiel to survive as a distinct people they must abandon violence and return to the Way. Only in that way can they avoid a nihilistic (and ultimately unwinnable) war against the Seanchan and the total abandonment of ji'e'toh. I think Avi will push them in that direction.

One further point: as I explained in a Theoryland theory, I predict that the Bore will be closed through Seed Singing (a prediction made even more likely by TOM, it seems to me). It may be--contrary to what I suggested in the original theory--that some of the Aiel must return to the Way in order to perform the Singing, in which case Avi's mission would be quite urgent. But, in any event, the re-discovery of the Song will certainly provide them with an alternate purpose in the post-Tarmon Gaidon world. In fact, Aiel Seed Singers might become the glue that binds the Seanchan and non-Seanchan lands together, or gives the non-Seanchans a long-term demographic advantage.

One furtherer point: the Wise One prophecy says that only a "remnant of a remnant shall he save". That suggests either a) MASSIVE Aiel losses at Shayol Ghul, or b) only a fraction of the Aiel will accept to return to the Way. The others, having abandoned ji'e'toh and turned to a life of pointless violence, will die out as a distinct cultural group.

Having been quite disturbed by Avi's visions, I too came to the conclusion that The Way of the Leaf is truly the only way for them to maintain ji-i-toh once they fulfill their obligation to fight or the Dragon.

I do have a reservation about Aviendha's future visions - the prophecies say - he shall save a remanent of a remanent of the Aiel - but according to what Aviendha see's in her visions there are still thousands of Aiel (11 whole clans!! the last battle must have been a breeze for almost the whole Aiel nation to survive except the Shaido) after the last battle when Rands children are grown and the Aiel are not restricted by the dragons peace (which is what I think rand was just about to mention before the book ended as his demands for him going to shayol ghul) and it takes years before they start failing and that has nothing to do with the dragon reborn, according to the visions the Aiel trick Andor into entering a war and that ends the Dragon peace allowing the Seanchan to attack.

This suggests what Avi saw was not the future OR the prophecy that says he will destroy the Aiel (such a major factor when he first went to the waste and something the wise ones constantly say they are trying to make so more survive) is not true so why the fuss? it seems a major plot dichotomy to me as we now have 2 prophesies of the future with completely different facts regarding the state of the Aiel

1) The prophecy that says rand will destroy the Aiel leaving a remanent of a remanent (open to interpretation that maybe Avi's visions are of a chaged Aiel that do not count)

2) Aviendhas visions through the glass columns for the second time where Rands Grandaughter tricks the Andoran queen to joining in war against the seanchan (as descibed in the book the visions seemed "more real" than the "might have beens" through the rings)

I can tell some people are going to say that the remanant of a remanent are those at the start of Avi's vision (furthest away) however their situation was brought about by themselves albeit by Rands granddaughter. If this is the meaning of the initial prophecy then I'm even more unimpressed.

This leads me to think that when Avi's future vision was written someone wasn't thinking about already existing prophecies OR the vision through the columns isn't "REAL" as described by Aviendha but possibly their greatest fear?

This I have to say is my biggest disappointment in this book, all we get of one of the main characters is a short snippet which seems to go against everything previously mentioned about the Aiel after the last battle in the previous books. essentially it seemed Brandon hadn't even read up on the Aiel before he wrote this part, I hope he can tie that bit together more reasonably than "Rands Granddaughter causes the Aiel society to collapse, years after the laswt battle was won".

I really enjoyed this book but that bit made me want to stop reading about aviendha and ruined her whole story line due to either a weak plot device or basically forgetting the Aiel prophecy completely. why put so little of her in there only to have nearly all of it contradict what we have already been told about the Aiel after the last battle according to prophecy unless the prophecy relates to Aiel that decided to follow the way of the leaf NOT the 11 clans that supported rand.

Either there is some major plot twist to come or the visions Aviendha experiences are in no way true.

Actually thinking about it also in aviendhas visions, the Queen in andor wasn't elayne?

If she's Aes sedai and queen surely as a channeler she would live long enough to be queen when Aviendhas Grandchildren were about it's only 2 generations of about 20 odd years. true something could have happened to her but surviving the last battle and then dying of something else? that's a tough break man.

Another issue with those viewings is Rhuarcs son - I don't remember him seeing Rand first when he went to cold rocks hold, I don't recall any mention of Rhuarc having kids before this point, a lot of scenes with him being reunited with wives, but no mention of children, pregnant wife during the book but no kids, am I mistaken or is this another case of Brandon not reading up on the Aiel / getting his timelines wrong?

The visions do point at the fact that Aviendha, Rand, Elayne and a few others (except Bruan the wily old codger) survive the last battle but appear NOT to be present in the post tarmon gaidon world within 20 years of the last battle when as channelers they should live AGES, and where is Rand? he lived long enough after the last battle to get Aviendha pregnant with Quadruplets but then disappeared (I CAN imagine him running off afterwards with the ladies but why leave their kids, surely they would be targets of the seanchan?)

There seems to be too many contradictions/convenient absences in Aviendhas visions to suggest they point to a real future, OR Brandon was on smack when he wrote this chapter and decided he didn't need to bone up on any other Aiel info because he was only featuring Aviendha.

My suggestion is the Visions are NOT real but a reflection of the womans own greatest fears and weaknesses (or something else but NOT real). Aviendha is petrified the Aiel will be destroyed so she shes visions of it the loss of Ji and the Aiel using a sword and being hunted like rabbits everything she has pointed out in previous books as disliking. it would make more sense than so many glaring errors in these visions, I think there are too many and too obvious for them to be real visions.

It's a trick, get an Axe, Brandon MUST be playing with us.

One could take his lack of including the Aiel in the Dragon's Peace, and their subsequent destruction save a few individuals as a remnant of a remnant.

yes but RAND didn't destroy them, HE didn't leave a remanent of a remanent, the decline occurs generations later as it was the first of avi's visions and the got closer to the present, yes his grandchild brought it about but the prophecy was about rand and according to the pillar visions he was gone within 20 years of tarmon gaidon ending - aviendhas 4 children in a tent discussing the dragon peace whists clan leaders of 11 clans talk about crushing the seanchan - doesn't sound like a remanent to me, sounds like he left an army of them and if he did that, then tarmon gaidon went VERY easily on the Aiel so why were the wise ones worrying about the prophecy if 11 clans were going to survive with enough warriors to battle the seanchan empire.

Yes I know it could mean it as loosely as that but that makes the prophecy that held so much weight with the wise ones for so very long very weak, I mean he leaves a remanent of a remanent a minimum 4 generations after he has gone?

I can see the plot device, as someone mentioned as being aviendha gets the Aiel to take to the way of the leaf after the final battle and only a few remain as "Aiel" we know with spears etc.

So you're figuring that cars and railroads are things that she'd make up on her own?

why not? she was with rand in Cairhien when he was being shown the prototype steam horse? and knows about the schools for progress (in the vision they mention things but the Aiel doesn't understand them) The visions could be lifted from her own worries and fears is my suggestion

the other option is that the original prophecy that a remanent would be saved was false or so loose as to mean nothing and was the driving force behind everything the Wise ones did in the earlier books, to ensure as many as possible were saved.

What I'm saying is there are glaring inconsistancies between what was revealed in the visions and what has been suggested by prophecy and driven the Aiel to their current position.

I'm not saying the original prophecy is right - but the vision suggests that the Aiel have been worrying about nothing, they won't be used up and thrown away broken, with a few remaining if the vision is a true one.

It's like RJ's Aiel from 10 years ago are different to the ones Brandon is talking about with a completely different future.

So you're figuring that cars and railroads are things that she'd make up on her own?

why not? she was with rand in Cairhien when he was being shown the prototype steam horse? and knows about the schools for progress (in the vision they mention things but the Aiel doesn't understand them) The visions could be lifted from her own worries and fears is my suggestion

the other option is that the original prophecy that a remanent would be saved was false or so loose as to mean nothing and was the driving force behind everything the Wise ones did in the earlier books, to ensure as many as possible were saved.

Perhaps the remnant of the remnant being saved was a result of Rand properly fulfilling the prophecies and not screwing them up by bowing to Tuon. So, if he does things right, more Aiel will die but the survivors will be better off. If he does things wrong, more will live, but not for long as they'll be crushed by the Seanchan and wiped out completely.

In terms of the visions being false, you have to remember that the original prophecy came from the Jenn, who had these columns on them when they made it, so it's not a stretch to assume that this is where the original knowledge came from.

I just really think that this vision is central to the upcoming plot as it gives a roadmap of what not to do, as opposed to just being some random fears not related to anything.

Archived