DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss The Full Book

Luckers

Its a spoiler board right? I read the thang last night. Ask me a straight question and Ill give you a straight answer.

Can we get an explanation on why the Olver thing is suppose to be special?

How does Mat kill the Gholam?

Does Mesaana die in this book?

1.) This stumped me... actually beats the snake and foxes game then discovers a letter from verin saying the trollocs are headed through the caemlyn waygate. he goes outside and can see the city burning. he grabs a weapon and joins the fray....

2. with the help of a kinswoman he pushes it into a Skimming gateway and off the platform into eternal darkness

3. No, but she (Dannelle-or however you spell it) has her mind crushed bt Egwene in Tar' and becomes a drooling invalid how "soils herself"

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3.) Nothing much..except learning how to cure madness in men how channel before the cleansing. (cant heal rand though) Oh also joins with egwene and the wise ones in a battle royal in the world of dreams against messana and the ba. oh and she gets Lans bond, and becaomes a full aes sedai test and all

Thank you for the spoilers! Was starting to wonder about Nynaeve since she wasn't mentioned in any reviews. The T'A'R battle sounds very cool.

Wow! Go Nynaeve!!!!

TAR battle... how unbelievably cool is that!!

Now, please explain the Egwene Rand thing. Its been driving me nuts all day.

Rand being all Zen and Sh!t strolls into the Hall of the Tower and casually anounces before Egwene and the hall that he intends to break the seals. his presence dominates. after that he strolls off and leaves the tower buzzing, no one even thinks to try and stop him from going. they all know without knowing that they cant touch him-he just radiates calm bad-assness. So egwene being egwene sets out to turn his alliesagainst him to turn him from this plan. Rand probably could have done a better job of explaining they why being his actions but what fun would that be? At the end of the book the rulers of pretty much all the nations except murandy and seanchan are gathered awaitng rands arrival and another confrontation with egwene

If Nynaeve gets Lan's bond, I take it they rescue the rebel embassy at the BT? What happened to that embassy, were they bonded by Asha'man?

Nah. They're just outside the walls of the black tower campus chillin in some tents. no one has been harmed yet or anything. there is a fraction of loyal ashaman inside the tower beginning to seek evidence against taim to give rand but nothing really happens on that front. kinda disappointing.

Rand being all Zen and Sh!t strolls into the Hall of the Tower and casually anounces before Egwene and the hall that he intends to break the seals. his presence dominates. after that he strolls off and leaves the tower buzzing, no one even thinks to try and stop him from going. they all know without knowing that they cant touch him-he just radiates calm bad-assness. So egwene being egwene sets out to turn his alliesagainst him to turn him from this plan. Rand probably could have done a better job of explaining they why being his actions but what fun would that be? At the end of the book the rulers of pretty much all the nations except murandy and seanchan are gathered awaitng rands arrival and another confrontation with egwene

So, wait... no one on one between Rand and Egwene? And I assume Egwene is successful and all the rulers are behind her.

And no Murandy... I suppose that means Murandy is Demandred's playground? What a shame.

Ok, more questions then.

What were the things in book 3 and between books 4-6 that were relevant to this book (the unnoticed things)?

How did Graendal kill Asmodean that made it special?

How did Perrin take care of Slayer?

the book three thing was the caged wolf man Noam whom perrin runs into in Tar though he is now wolf name Boundless. he, and to a greater extent hopper (RIP) help perrin achieve inner balance with man and wolf

Perrin suckec slayer into a nightmare in Tar and pretendec to be a regular person in the nightmare which allows perrin to get close enough to stab him. he doesnt die though (see Leigh Butler reaction)

So, wait... no one on one between Rand and Egwene? And I assume Egwene is successful and all the rulers are behind her.

And no Murandy... I suppose that means Murandy is Demandred's playground? What a shame.

She has some support but no one really seems to commit one way or the other. Perrin is firmly committed to Rand though. He seems to be the only one that thinks the Dragon Reborn may know his job better than anyone else. Rand does briefly mention in th Hall that the seals need to be broken in order to replace the seals and that he needs the aid of women. Of course when Egwene approaches rulers she spins it like " OMG the crazy ass Dragon want to Break the Seals! You must align with the White Tower to stop him! She kinda lost some cool points from me as apposed to the last book.

not sure about demandred but I think he may be behind the red raiders in seanchan as well is a new group of combatants glimpsed in the blight...

For others who have Towers of Midnight, what did you make of the part with Lanfear and Rand at the end? Is it possible that some of the (seemingly) loony theories that she might actually end up being good will come true?

Im not sure...Lanfear was supposed to be a pretty talented dreamwalker which makes me a little skeptical of her being in any real trouble. what disturbed me the most was the "desire" that the Dragon feels for her..

So let's get some discussion going on the following:

1) The prophecy at the end of the book.

2) Demandred and what he intends with the Black Tower. It is now clear that the Black Tower appears to be his main focal point given the fact that he has dreamspiked it.

3) Min's new insight into Callandor.

4) Moiraine's other two wishes. What might they be? Has she given any indications?

5) What prophecies/viewings still have yet to be fulfilled?

6) The prologue bit with Perrin in T'a'R. What the heck was going on there? It seems an awful lot like Rand at Tear. Will T'a'R play more of a part than most people think?

7) Remaining Forsaken and what they are up to. I believe we have Moridin/Ishy (appears to know what Demandred has been up to - have we missed hints in earlier books?), Demandred (Black Tower, red veiled Aiel), Lanfear (may turn from the Shadow?), Graendal (another SH rape victim?), Moghedien (I forget where she is at) on the active list. Mesaana on the inactive list as her mind is gone. (Nyn just learned how to heal mental injuries though. Might we see this take a part here?)

woww that rand-lanfear thing seems to be interesting but I won't even ask about that. At least I can NOT SPOIL that much.

What about Elayne? Is she supporting Rand against Egwene and White Tower? Or is she just having a bath somewhere? Come on girl!

Elayne has made some inferior duplicates of the Foxhead Medallion. She has also taken part in getting Aludra's Dragons mass produced. Right now, she is probably busy with Caemlyn burning.

2) Demandred and what he intends with the Black Tower. It is now clear that the Black Tower appears to be his main focal point given the fact that he has dreamspiked it.

4) Moiraine's other two wishes. What might they be? Has she given any indications?

6) The prologue bit with Perrin in T'a'R. What the heck was going on there? It seems an awful lot like Rand at Tear. Will T'a'R play more of a part than most people think?

7) Remaining Forsaken and what they are up to. I believe we have Moridin/Ishy (appears to know what Demandred has been up to - have we missed hints in earlier books?), Demandred (Black Tower, red veiled Aiel), Lanfear (may turn from the Shadow?), Graendal (another SH rape victim?), Moghedien (I forget where she is at) on the active list. Mesaana on the inactive list as her mind is gone. (Nyn just learned how to heal mental injuries though. Might we see this take a part here?)

What is a Dreamspike? Who can use it - only a channeler, only a female, only a male or both? What can it do?

What is a Dreamspike? Who can use it - only a channeler, only a female, only a male or both? What can it do?

For more info on Dreamspikes see my post in the Prologue through Chapter 5 thread. Basically, we know the user of the dreamspike can set it to allow/disallow different kinds of gateways from inside the bubble created by the spike to outside the bubble. This means no travelling and no skimming using the One Power. We don't really know if you need to channel to use it. Slayer had an active spike, but it may have been activated for him by Graendal.

Can someone explain the Lanfear scene/issue?

Rand's final scene is in his dreams where he's sitting on a boulder and thinking. He hears sobbing and finds Cyndane crying. He goes to her and takes her hand and she says that he knows her. He looks into her eyes and calls her Mieren and says that she's dead. She says that she wishes she was dead, but that she is instead tortured and twisted to the brink of death, only to be healed again just at the point of death. She begs him to help her and then starts screaming about "he comes. The shadow that is in every man's mind!" and is pulled away from him leaving Rand alone in his dreams. He is shocked to find that he feels a mix of hatred, concern, and desire for Lanfear.

Rand's final scene is in his dreams where he's sitting on a boulder and thinking. He hears sobbing and finds Cyndane crying. He goes to her and takes her hand and she says that he knows her. He looks into her eyes and calls her Mieren and says that she's dead. She says that she wishes she was dead, but that she is instead tortured and twisted to the brink of death, only to be healed again just at the point of death. She begs him to help her and then starts screaming about "he comes. The shadow that is in every man's mind!" and is pulled away from him leaving Rand alone in his dreams. He is shocked to find that he feels a mix of hatred, concern, and desire for Lanfear.

Oh no . . . and I thought waiting for ToM was bad. Waiting for the next book already seems unbearable and has already supplanted my desire to read this one. This issue is too big to put in the back-burner.

Oh no . . . and I thought waiting for ToM was bad. Waiting for the next book already seems unbearable and has already supplanted my desire to read this one. This issue is too big to put in the back-burner.

If you think that's gonna be bad, the cliffhanger with Lan is worse... ;)

If you think that's gonna be bad, the cliffhanger with Lan is worse... ;)

My favorite character, by far, is Lanfear. So really, nothing can supplant my interest in her storyline in particular. The other stuff that has been mentioned has not really caught my interest so much; a lot of the themes were predictable if not the details. While I'm sure Egwene/Rand confrontations are going to be fun to read, the tone of the whole thing is, well, the same as it has always been.

Can anyone tell us whether there is any further information on the sword that Rand got in A Gathering Storm. I seem to re-call him recognizing it, and there seemed to be a mystery left up in the air about it. Can't remember the exact context, but he specifically said that it was his own memory, and not LTT's, that he remembered it from, and it REALLY thew me for a loop. I was hoping maybe that would be explained in ToM?!?!?!

Never mind...checked Encyclopaedia-wot and found out that it was Justice which was Artur Hawkwings sword, which Rand saw when the Horn of Valere was blown by Mat. Sorry to waste space on here.

:biggrin:

Archived