DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss The Full Book

Luckers

Any update on the Red Ajah in this book? Both inside the White Tower and the embassy sent to the Black Tower?

Yes to both.

Does Mazrim Taim appear in TOM at all?

He is mentioned though not really seen. We do get way more of an indication that things are NOT right at the Black Tower and I am beginning to understand the part about "The Black Tower will be rent in blood and fire and sisters will walk its grounds."

Interesting.... does anybody consider what with happend with Black Tower after the final battle, what will be its role compared to White Tower?

Well, we see a bit in Avhienda's viewpoint and possibly in Egwene's trip to T'a'R in the Amyrlin's Study in the White Tower. (The dragon's fang on the window.)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any update on the Red Ajah in this book? Both inside the White Tower and the embassy sent to the Black Tower?

The Red Ajah at the Black Tower are basically being held since there is a dream spike preventing them from traveling. Tarna appears to have been turned to the shadow via the 13 and 13 trick.

The Red Ajah at the Black Tower are basically being held since there is a dream spike preventing them from traveling. Tarna appears to have been turned to the shadow via the 13 and 13 trick.

Why only Tarna?

And what of the Rebel embassy? I see that they are waiting outside... but have they contacted the Tower at all?

Also... What does Cadsuane do? And why does Nynaeve alone take the Aes Sedai test? Why not Egwene?

Oh man, that's terrible.

Yes to both.

Do you mind elaborating a bit, if possible? I would really appreciate it.

I will let someone else do the honors. I haven't read this part quite as closely, BUT it appears only of the Tower Embassy still is in control of themselves. At least one has been turned to the shadow, probably via 13x13.

"The other scene that rocked me to read is one that completely embraces the spirit of the whole series. It's the epitome of what makes The Wheel of Time stand apart from all other fantasy series. To say that I was moved by it is an understatement. After reading it, I honestly began to question whether this story will actually have a happy ending or not. I mean, let's face it. Most of us assume the series will conclude with a victory at the Last Battle, with maybe a few heroic deaths along the way, right? Well this sequence I'm talking about proves that even victory can be disaster. It shows that even the most noble of intentions can have a butterfly-effect ripple across the Pattern. The sequence was beautiful to behold, and that alone makes ToM worthy of being on the shelf with your other WoT books. " - Jasons Review.

What does this refer to? A prophecy? A revelation? What could mean that even victory would be a disaster?

Aviendha uses the crystal columns to see the future by living the lives of her DESCENDANTS. Things are not well in Randland and a lot of it seems to be her family's fault.

Ah, so this refers to the Seanchan ruling Randland. That Rand lives past Tarmon Gaidon (though dies soon after). And that Aviendha has four children? Any more details regarding this? Is the Dark One permanently sealed or will he return again?

Why only Tarna?

And what of the Rebel embassy? I see that they are waiting outside... but have they contacted the Tower at all?

Also... What does Cadsuane do? And why does Nynaeve alone take the Aes Sedai test? Why not Egwene?

1) Why only Tarna? It wasn't totally clear, but based on reading it, I got the impression that she tried to ask Taim if they could leave and he had it done to her after that. That's just a theory though.

2) The Rebel embassy is outside the Black Tower and is not being allowed entrance.

3) What does Cadsuane do? You mean in reagards to the Black Tower or in general?

4) Nynaeve takes it so that she'll be accepted as full Aes Sedai. Egwene doesn't take it because by being raised Amyrlin she became Aes Sedai also.

Can someone explain the Lanfear scene/issue?

Rand's final scene is in his dreams where he's sitting on a boulder and thinking. He hears sobbing and finds Cyndane crying. He goes to her and takes her hand and she says that he knows her. He looks into her eyes and calls her Mieren and says that she's dead. She says that she wishes she was dead, but that she is instead tortured and twisted to the brink of death, only to be healed again just at the point of death. She begs him to help her and then starts screaming about "he comes. The shadow that is in every man's mind!" and is pulled away from him leaving Rand alone in his dreams. He is shocked to find that he feels a mix of hatred, concern, and desire for Lanfear.

So Lanfear is the 'dead and gone woman' that Rand needs to win the LB. Kinda makes sense since she drilled the Bore to begin with. But I

always thought it might have been Moiraine. Or is it a trap?

Rand's final scene is in his dreams where he's sitting on a boulder and thinking. He hears sobbing and finds Cyndane crying. He goes to her and takes her hand and she says that he knows her. He looks into her eyes and calls her Mieren and says that she's dead. She says that she wishes she was dead, but that she is instead tortured and twisted to the brink of death, only to be healed again just at the point of death. She begs him to help her and then starts screaming about "he comes. The shadow that is in every man's mind!" and is pulled away from him leaving Rand alone in his dreams. He is shocked to find that he feels a mix of hatred, concern, and desire for Lanfear.

So Lanfear is the 'dead and gone woman' that Rand needs to win the LB. Kinda makes sense since she drilled the Bore to begin with. But I

It's possible, but I still think it's more likely to be Moiraine.

It's possible, but I still think it's more likely to be Moiraine.

I am sticking to my guns that it's Lanfear and she will return to the Light before the end. I think RJ may have written that scene the way he did for a reason, so that we all assumed it was Moiraine. At this point, I say 70% sure it's Lanfear, 25% Moirane, 5% someone else.

1) Why only Tarna? It wasn't totally clear, but based on reading it, I got the impression that she tried to ask Taim if they could leave and he had it done to her after that. That's just a theory though.

Interesting... Wonder how Pevara is dealing with all this. Have they at least bonded Asha'man?

2) The Rebel embassy is outside the Black Tower and is not being allowed entrance.

And I suppose they can't Travel back? Again... interesting.

3) What does Cadsuane do? You mean in reagards to the Black Tower or in general?

Both. I didn't know she was involved with the BT. I was just looking for a recap of her actions in the book, like we got for Nynaeve, Egwene, etc.

4) Nynaeve takes it so that she'll be accepted as full Aes Sedai. Egwene doesn't take it because by being raised Amyrlin she became Aes Sedai also.

So she takes the decision herself? Nice. I'm guessing that though she disagrees with Egwene on Rand's plan, they're still working together?

Interesting... Wonder how Pevara is dealing with all this. Have they at least bonded Asha'man?

And I suppose they can't Travel back? Again... interesting.

Both. I didn't know she was involved with the BT. I was just looking for a recap of her actions in the book, like we got for Nynaeve, Egwene, etc.

So she takes the decision herself? Nice. I'm guessing that though she disagrees with Egwene on Rand's plan, they're still working together?

1) Pevara wants to escape, but they're trapped since they can't travel out and can't leave without Taim's permission. They can't even attack the Asha'man unless they are attacked first because of their oaths.

2) I don't think there's anything preventing the rebels outside from traveling. They're just not allowed entrance.

3) Cadsuane isn't involved in the Black Tower. Rand apologizes to her, lifts her exile, and takes her on as his advisor again. He does tell her that now that he has all of Lews Therin's memories integrated, it is no longer appropriate to call him boy (being that he's now older than she is). He suggests that she call him Rand Sedai instead.

4) No, Egwene basically orders her to return to the tower.

1) Pevara wants to escape, but they're trapped since they can't travel out and can't leave without Taim's permission. They can't even attack the Asha'man unless they are attacked first because of their oaths.

I see. Have they bonded Asha'man? I assume not, right?

2) I don't think there's anything preventing the rebels outside from traveling. They're just not allowed entrance.

Yet, they haven't informed the Hall? Weird.

3) Cadsuane isn't involved in the Black Tower. Rand apologizes to her, lifts her exile, and takes her on as his advisor again. He does tell her that now that he has all of Lews Therin's memories integrated, it is no longer appropriate to call him boy (being that he's now older than she is). He suggests that she call him Rand Sedai instead.

Oh excellent! I assume she's supporting his plan? And the Sedai thing was foreshadowed. She thinks how weird it is that men in the AoL were called Aes Sedai too. Glad this relationship seems to have worked out.

So, relations between them are not cordial?

EDIT: And thanks a lot for all these answers! Really making my day here!

Oh excellent! I assume she's supporting his plan? And the Sedai thing was foreshadowed. She thinks how weird it is that men in the AoL were called Aes Sedai too. Glad this relationship seems to have worked out.

1) They haven't bonded yet. The sticking point seems to be that Taim won't allow them to bond full Asha'man only Dedicated or Soldiers.

2) They're in contact with the Tower at least because Nynaeve recieves Lan's bond from Myrelle.

3) Cadsuane seems to be mostly supporting Rand now. He's no longer tempermental and full of explosive tempers, and she seems to be adapting to treat him with the respect he deserves.

4) Egwene and Nynaeve have some heated words between them, but things appear to be on the mend for them with Nynaeve starting to refer to Egwene as "Mother", etc.

One really cool scene was when Rand first returns to Tear after his episode on Dragonmount and his meeting with Egwene. He orders all of the High Lords assembled in a row and walks up and down the line, making each of them look into his eyes. He then orders Weiramon and Anaiyella to leave and deliver a message to all the other Darkfriends that they can no longer hide among his allies because he is no longer blind to them.

1) They haven't bonded yet. The sticking point seems to be that Taim won't allow them to bond full Asha'man only Dedicated or Soldiers.

2) They're in contact with the Tower at least because Nynaeve recieves Lan's bond from Myrelle.

3) Cadsuane seems to be mostly supporting Rand now. He's no longer tempermental and full of explosive tempers, and she seems to be adapting to treat him with the respect he deserves.

4) Egwene and Nynaeve have some heated words between them, but things appear to be on the mend for them with Nynaeve starting to refer to Egwene as "Mother", etc.

One really cool scene was when Rand first returns to Tear after his episode on Dragonmount and his meeting with Egwene. He orders all of the High Lords assembled in a row and walks up and down the line, making each of them look into his eyes. He then orders Weiramon and Anaiyella to leave and deliver a message to all the other Darkfriends that they can no longer hide among his allies because he is no longer blind to them.

How about when he blinds a DF with his radiance? :D

Archived