DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss The Full Book

Luckers

I haven't read the book yet, but a few thoughts on the spoilers:

• 'Finns feeding on OP strength explains why Brandon initially thought Cyndane was very weak, but changed his mind after consulting Maria. Either they didn't actually drain that much of Lanfear's strength, or some of it was restored later on. Given how determined Cyndane was to kill Rand in WH, it's unlikely that her appearance in Rand's dream is anything but a ruse.

• It wouldn't surprise me if the whole point of Nynaeve taking the AS test was to remind her how to weave balefire, which she hasn't done since TDR. That time, she balefired Myrddraal without really knowing what she was doing, and might not have remembered the weave. She'll need balefire if she's going to kill any Forsaken in AMoL.

• Gawyn keeping the Seanchan rings sounds a bit like the Arthurian legend of Gawain and the girdle. (I can totally see Gawyn being stupid enough to actually put on one of those rings... :rolleyes: )

• I think those Sea Folk bargains will turn out to be not quite as disastrous as previously thought. Elayne gave them a small part of Andor in her bargain with Zaida, which gives the Windfinders added incentive to defend it and maybe fetch other Sea Folk to help. The Sea Folk also owe Mat a favor after he saved a number of them in Ebou Dar.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To sleepinghour:

I agree with you about Cyndane. In fact, I think that she was the one SH referred to, when he said "This task has been entrusted to another" to Graendal. Also, Lanfear has once mentioned that she can break/bypass the wards set on dreams.

As to the Nynaeve, she has channeled Balefire strictly against the rules, almost failing in process and blowing up ter-angrial. I think she remembered the weaves just fine :)

And Gawyn.. he IS stupid enough to put them on. All three at once:) Imagine Egwene reaction to THAT ;))

So Moiraine's strength was drained..... the loss of power for Siuan and Leanne (and now Moiraine) has been an annoying plot point for me -- here's hoping they get some male healing in aMoL that restores them to their full strength.

Nov 2 can't come soon enough.....!

I have always wondered if Nynaeve can use her Talent to modify instead of restoring.. for example increase the available sthrength of a person, physical or One Power.. Now I also have to wonder if it is possible to drain one channeler in favor of another :) Now that would be fun :baalzamon:

I haven't read the book yet, but a few thoughts on the spoilers:

• 'Finns feeding on OP strength explains why Brandon initially thought Cyndane was very weak, but changed his mind after consulting Maria. Either they didn't actually drain that much of Lanfear's strength, or some of it was restored later on. Given how determined Cyndane was to kill Rand in WH, it's unlikely that her appearance in Rand's dream is anything but a ruse.

• It wouldn't surprise me if the whole point of Nynaeve taking the AS test was to remind her of how to weave balefire, which she hasn't done since TDR. That time, she balefired Myrddraal without really knowing what she was doing, and might not have remembered the weave. She'll need balefire if she's going to kill any Forsaken in AMoL.

• Gawyn keeping the Seanchan rings sounds a bit like the Arthurian legend of Gawain and the girdle. (I can totally see Gawyn being stupid enough to actually put on one of those rings... :rolleyes: )

• I think those Sea Folk bargains will turn out to be not quite as disastrous as previously thought. Elayne gave them a small part of Andor in her bargain with Zaida, which gives the Windfinders added incentive to defend it and maybe fetch other Sea Folk to help. The Sea Folk also owe Mat a favor after he saved a number of them in Ebou Dar.

Cyndane never was very "weak". She was weaker than Lanfear, that's all. She still probably is the most powerful female channeler alive...

Does anyone other than me find it SUPER COOL, that after hearing Mat thinking throughout the books about how much he wanted to read 'The Travels of Jain Farstrider' that he actually got to be a part of his most important adventure ever?

These are the things that make me love this series.

OK...any major updates on Siuan...I saw that she kept an Angreal that allowed her to be pretty powerful, but let's face it, at the end of Gather Storm, she had just bonded Bryne, and then Egwene was really angry at her. Does Egwene calm down a bit toward her in ToM? Do Bryne and her get to spend some time together 'on screen'?

Siuan is probably up there in my list of top 5 (maybe 10) favorite characters in the books. I'm really curious what kind of 'screen' time she gets, if any.

Thanks in advance.

So let's guess what was in Leigh's review!

1-cool but freaked out: Rand sensing Darkfriends and the Apples First thing

2- Not sure... Nyneave healing madness???

3-9, not sure

10- Mat using the Skimming to kill the Gohlom

11- Vision of Seanchan taking over? Or Mat causing Caymlens burning due to his not opening the letter.

12- Egwene meeting Rand? Caudsaune meeting Rand?

13- ????

14- Slayer

15- Lanfear in Rand's dream

16- Greandal being Asmodean's killer

So only Mesaana died this book?

Aran'gar died last book.

And does Graendal hurt rand in any way?

What was the spoiler in the glosary?

What was Min's revelation on Callandor?

Do we get more info on Slayer?

Any other Fain POVs or info other than the prologue?

Aran'gar died last book.

1) Mesaana is not dead. She is mentally broken. May not even have a mind left. Remember the Wise Ones talking about how one woman came back from her dreams as pretty much a vegetable? That's Mesaana after this book.

2) How Aran'gar died is finished in this book.

3) Uh, nope, Graendal is an utter failure... :/

4) Asmo's killer

5) A bit of a cryptic Jendai Prophecy. Really caused more questions than it answered.

6) Yes, quite a bit. We find out who he has been working for this whole time. As for Slayer's background, still nothing more than we know, that he is an amalgamation of Luc and Isam.

7) Nothing more on Fain specifically, though I believe he is the "first among vermin" mentioned in the prophecy at the end of the book.

Does it turn out Asunawa was the Darkfriend?

No. He died without clarification. But then, we saw that in chapter two, which is a preview chapter.

Do we learn who the Darkhounds were pursuing in the Crossroads of Twilight?

We learned that in WH.

So Graendal was brought back to be an utter failure? I was seriously expecting more from her. Some actual serious damage to the Light, you know. Given how good she's at psychology, one would think Perrin, with all his problems, would have been an easy target for her... Seems she got back just so she could be yet another rape victim for SH. :(

Who are the Black sisters who fight with Mesaana in TAR? Do they die/get their mind destroyed by Egwene too?

Aran'gar died last book.

1) Mesaana is not dead. She is mentally broken. May not even have a mind left. Remember the Wise Ones talking about how one woman came back from her dreams as pretty much a vegetable? That's Mesaana after this book.

2) How Aran'gar died is finished in this book.

3) Uh, nope, Graendal is an utter failure... :/

4) Asmo's killer

5) A bit of a cryptic Jendai Prophecy. Really caused more questions than it answered.

6) Yes, quite a bit. We find out who he has been working for this whole time. As for Slayer's background, still nothing more than we know, that he is an amalgamation of Luc and Isam.

7) Nothing more on Fain specifically, though I believe he is the "first among vermin" mentioned in the prophecy at the end of the book.

Thanks! And Aran'gar died last book because rand balenuked Graendal's palace in TGS and she died there... yeah. And if it isnt too much trouble can somebody share..? (the callandor bit) or i can wait either is fine

And how is rand and mins relationship in this book?

I guess I will throw this in here because I can. These are my longstanding predictions for this book since shortly after TGS was released and a couple from before that were confirmed.

Trued Predictions of Mine:

1) Mesaana = Danelle --- I did my research and it took me a while, but there is one Danelle scene in Caemlyn, I think, that confirmed it for me earlier in the series.

2) Mat's ashandarei was EXTREMELY important and we ALL missed exactly why. I was on the right track though that it didn't seem to belong with what he had asked, but, it turns out, it actually did belong with one of his wishes.

3) Gholam would be killed with a skimming gateway. Honestly, I couldn't see any other way to finish it off besides starving it.

4) Graendal survived Rand nuking her palace.

5) There were still Bloodknives in the White Tower.

Possibly Fulfilled Predictions of Mine:

1) Olver would help Mat's group get out of the ToG. Based on his PoV in the prologue, I have to wonder if he somehow had a hand in helping them escape. His game seemed to follow far too closely to what actually happened.

Epic Failed Predictions of Mine

1) Moiraine/Lanfear killed Asmodean

2) Graendal would die in ToM (she might as well be dead now though)

3) Demandred would have his big reveal. (I think I finally got him, but no big reveal this book.)

4) Egwene would kill Mesaana (only broke her mind)

So Graendal was brought back to be an utter failure? I was seriously expecting more from her. Some actual serious damage to the Light, you know. Given how good she's at psychology, one would think Perrin, with all his problems, would have been an easy target for her... Seems she got back just so she could be yet another rape victim for SH. :(

Who are the Black sisters who fight with Mesaana in TAR? Do they die/get their mind destroyed by Egwene too?

Perrin was her target, but he got his act together and outsmarted her and Slayer with the help of Hopper (RIP). Let's just say that Perrin became completely awesome in this book.

From off the top of my head I can tell you Alviarin got nuked by Egwene and Mesaana (Danelle) had her mind snapped by Egwene.

and also what was hte "BUT" exactly? haha

What, exactly are you talking about?

I guess I will throw this in here because I can. These are my longstanding predictions for this book since shortly after TGS was released and a couple from before that were confirmed.

Trued Predictions of Mine:

1) Mesaana = Danelle --- I did my research and it took me a while, but there is one Danelle scene in Caemlyn, I think, that confirmed it for me earlier in the series.

2) Mat's ashandarei was EXTREMELY important and we ALL missed exactly why. I was on the right track though that it didn't seem to belong with what he had asked, but, it turns out, it actually did belong with one of his wishes.

3) Gholam would be killed with a skimming gateway. Honestly, I couldn't see any other way to finish it off besides starving it.

4) Graendal survived Rand nuking her palace.

5) There were still Bloodknives in the White Tower.

Possibly Fulfilled Predictions of Mine:

1) Olver would help Mat's group get out of the ToG. Based on his PoV in the prologue, I have to wonder if he somehow had a hand in helping them escape. His game seemed to follow far too closely to what actually happened.

Epic Failed Predictions of Mine

1) Moiraine/Lanfear killed Asmodean

2) Graendal would die in ToM (she might as well be dead now though)

3) Demandred would have his big reveal. (I think I finally got him, but no big reveal this book.)

4) Egwene would kill Mesaana (only broke her mind)

Perrin was her target, but he got his act together and outsmarted her and Slayer with the help of Hopper (RIP). Let's just say that Perrin became completely awesome in this book.

From off the top of my head I can tell you Alviarin got nuked by Egwene and Mesaana (Danelle) had her mind snapped by Egwene.

and also what was hte "BUT" exactly? haha

He was asking what the Big Unnoticed thing is. I'm not sure which one it is, the Skimming to kill the Gholom, Mat's Spear saving him from the Fins, or Perrin meeting the crazy wolf guy in TAR???

I think it sounds more like Rand, like this post from the RAFO board suggests. Lews Therin was "first among servants."

Definitely possible.

Broken Wolf... I wonder... Slayer? We know he is Moridin's servant now. He seems to be able to enter and leave T'a'R at will. Did some accident with T'a'R and becoming a wolfbrother happen to him? The fact that it says he will be consumed by the Midnight Towers makes me wonder. It appears Perrin has already been mentioned as the Fallen Blacksmith so who, exactly, is the broken wolf who will cause such a problem for the Light when he dies.

I know, but why Graendal? Moghedien would have served equally well.

Does nuked mean Balefired?

The big unnoticed thing from books 4-6... I'm kind of worried about that. Since no one but Terez has even hesitantly claimed to have figured this out, I wonder if maybe it isn't all that great as Brandon made it out to be.

I know, but why Graendal? Moghedien would have served equally well.

Does nuked mean Balefired?

The big unnoticed thing from books 4-6... I'm kind of worried about that. Since no one but Terez has even hesitantly claimed to have figured this out, I wonder if maybe it isn't all that great as Brandon made it out to be.

Moghedien has been busy getting all the assassin's after Mat and Perrin according to TGS.

No, blasted with fire if I remember correctly.

I think it was the wolf mainly because after meeting Noam as Boundless in T'a'R, Perrin finally gets himself sorted out and does what he needs to.

Mat's ashandarei was important, but I don't think was the unnoticed thing because it only had a small part to play, while Perrin's plotline was affected FAR more by the wolf.

Definitely don't think it was the skimming as that also didn't play a huge part.

Archived