DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Warp in the Air

Luckers

there are actually two different types of aura here, one we see is the dark room effect which we can say with about 95% surety is TP usage. the other is the warping in the air. which i believe now we have only seen twice... the first time is rand willing tuon to accept his will, the second is as he is walking down the road apparently willing the land to get better. i have heard some theories that the warp is because he is using the OP i am not so sure, if i remember correctly if you have a sa'angreal ripped out of your hands while using it, or an angreal for that matter i believe you are lucky if the amount of the power doesnt kill you outright, at best you become severed. not only that but the quote from TGS is "the power winked out" (bold and underline added for emphasis) i think the only time the power has EVER been described that way is when siuan was stilled i believe, dont have that one with me right now, but i believe that she described it as winking out of existence. cant even sense it etc.... i think rand has been severed. and i think that this has more to do with the kingfisher than anything else, heck the whole king fisher thing might even be the BUT everyones talking about the fact that rand can be on either side of the conflict depending on whichever set of rules you are playing by. anyways that is for a different thread, but on the subject of ishamael having lived other lives, he has. he tells Rand multiple times that he can remember the same conflict being played out many times before, and he states that their are times that rand has been on the side of the DO (king fisher can change sides) the king fisher is an extremely significant and singular piece in that it can change sides, and it is the piece that determines the winner. that is why rand has the warping and we dont see it before because before rand has been somewhat of a neutral character he goes about destroying everything, and healing it all at the same time, but as he gets further to one side or the other the air starts to warp and people can see it, perhaps he is the strongest taveren (sp) ever known to mankind and that is the reason the warping happens but the color is definately indicative of the king fisher piece.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people are reading too much into the Aura. I don't think Brandon Sanderson would have inserted something as profound as a new type of Power emenating from the Dragon unless it was in RJ's notes, and I don't think RJ would have inserted a new Power for Rand to use this late in the game. To do so would be too Deus Ex Machina.

Rather, I think the Aura is the result of an extremely powerful ta'veren. Rand's powers do not originate from himself, nor do I think the Creator is standing over his shoulder feeding him some kind of good True Power. It is the Pattern at work. As the Champion of the Light, the Creator chose to direct the Pattern to weave itself tightest around Rand's soul. The DO is attacking the Pattern everywhere now, but wherever Rand is, is the place the Pattern fights back the hardest. What we witnessed in "Apples" is what happens when the DO is extracted from the Pattern. The trees were meant to be fully ripe, and so Rand's presence restored the balance.

Lastly, I dont think the Aura is a physical shimmering in the air. Rand's ta'veren tug has become so strong that people are somewhat overwhelmed by it when nearby, and describe it as an Aura. Its the same as when a really cheery person enters the room and starts shaking hands. We might say, "hes nice. He has an aura about him." It doesn't mean there is visible wavy lines emenating from them.

I think people are reading too much into the Aura. I don't think Brandon Sanderson would have inserted something as profound as a new type of Power emenating from the Dragon unless it was in RJ's notes, and I don't think RJ would have inserted a new Power for Rand to use this late in the game. To do so would be too Deus Ex Machina.

Rather, I think the Aura is the result of an extremely powerful ta'veren. Rand's powers do not originate from himself, nor do I think the Creator is standing over his shoulder feeding him some kind of good True Power. It is the Pattern at work. As the Champion of the Light, the Creator chose to direct the Pattern to weave itself tightest around Rand's soul. The DO is attacking the Pattern everywhere now, but wherever Rand is, is the place the Pattern fights back the hardest. What we witnessed in "Apples" is what happens when the DO is extracted from the Pattern. The trees were meant to be fully ripe, and so Rand's presence restored the balance.

Lastly, I dont think the Aura is a physical shimmering in the air. Rand's ta'veren tug has become so strong that people are somewhat overwhelmed by it when nearby, and describe it as an Aura. Its the same as when a really cheery person enters the room and starts shaking hands. We might say, "hes nice. He has an aura about him." It doesn't mean there is visible wavy lines emenating from them.

I'll go with that.

I said it in the Chapter 1 thread too, but I agree with Vassili about Rand's aura being the manifestation of extreme ta'veren power, not some distinct new power. And I agree for the same reasons. It feels inappropriate to introduce brand new powers this late in the series, especially given how much RJ liked foreshadowing.

Another reason is that some people have a Talent for seeing ta'veren, and see it as a glow around them. The aura may be the same, only it's now so powerful that people occasionally see it without the Talent.

Could the dark aura be an indicator of abuse of too much power such as using the TP or the Choedan Kal. Remember, it was a forsaken each time that directed Rand toward their use. Asmodean and Landfear pointed out the statue long ago and explained it's power. Could the dark one have been using the forsaken to temp Rand to seek too much power. Was that his mistake last time when he only sealed the bore? The dark aura left after Rand destroyed the Choedan Kal.

Could the dark aura be an indicator of abuse of too much power such as using the TP or the Choedan Kal. Remember, it was a forsaken each time that directed Rand toward their use. Asmodean and Landfear pointed out the statue long ago and explained it's power. Could the dark one have been using the forsaken to temp Rand to seek too much power. Was that his mistake last time when he only sealed the bore? The dark aura left after Rand destroyed the Choedan Kal.

If that's true, you think Taim is using the TP?

If that's true, you think Taim is using the TP?

Either that or he will, or he just lusts for it. Taim sure seems to be on the dark side of the force. Is Taim one of the forsaken?

Disagree.

It's not in any way a Deus ex Machina. It's mentioned in the very first book's prophecy that the Dragon will bring forth lambs and bring life, and so on. And throughout the series, the prophecies mention him being linked to the land, the Pattern, and so on.

This is pretty much the -opposite- of a Deus ex Machina. It's hinted at from the very first.

In Taim's case it only served to show that Taim was a creep. That's why the word "warp in air" wasn't used at all.

I would go along with Taim's aura just being a figurative aura. It was only after this:

HBFFerreira on Twitter - 20 July 2010 2:35 pm The Gathering Storm: Rand's dark aura was an effect of channeling the True Power, right? Winter's Heart prologue: didn't Taim cast a similar aura?

Brandon - 21 July 12:18 am You're the first to notice that that I've seen.

That I thought it more. So yeah, *shrug*

Taim may have been granted the True Power because Ishamael cast shadows and stuff. Also, that's on of the DO's trump cards, get as many people using and addicted to the True Power as possible. No one save Rand can use it and no one can sense it.

Consequences of True Power use and growing. It could be that things will just keep on growing until they burst or whatever. Isn't a tumour runaway cell growth and didn't Brandon say victory not being what you think. What better twist than have some stuff keep growing until it falls.

I don't think it has anything to do with Rand's ta'veren powers. It was said it's partially due to the TP usage but I think the rest of it has to do with his emotional state. He had just tried to kill Min and he was at his most withdrawn/hardest/emotionless state. He had never had the balls to kill a female but right after that he kills Semirhage and Elza then goes and balefires Graendal. It even says in the book right as Min is about to die " Something snapped inside of him. He grew cold; then that coldness vanished, and he could feel nothing. No emotion. No anger." The warp appears right after this when he is exiling Cadsuane. And post VoG he's at his most enlightened/happy state. He's finally laughed again and now he's feeling good. I think it just has to do with his emotions and being one with the land etc.

"Taim strode in the room as tough he owned the Palace. She did not need him named. Blue and gold dragons wove round the sleeves of his black coat from elbows to cuffs, in imitation of the Dragons on Rands arms. Though she suspected he would not appreciate the observation. He was tall, nearly as tall as Rand, with a hooked nose and dark eyes like augurs, a physically powerful man who moved with something of a Warders deadly grace, but shadows seem to follow him, as if half the lamps in the room had gone out; not real shadows, but an air of imminent violence that seemed palpable enough to soak up light"

This seemed to me to be more of the same saidin weave that Dashiva used in The Path of Daggers (The Bargain)- dug it out for comparison;

"He did not recognise the other weave Dashiva had created, but the air seemed to hum with menace, a sense of something inexorable approaching, drawing ever nearer."

It seems to me like this is more likely to be the reason for the air around Taim, I don't recall ever reading about Moridin/Ishamael having a warp in the air around them, and if this was a consequence of the TP that would affect non-ta'veren, who are we more likely to see it on than the guy who almost exclusively uses it?

I'm leaning towards the belief that the light/dark warps in the air are an effect of Rand being ta'veren, but its just as likely that it has something to do with the TP, I'm not calling anything.

It seems to me like this is more likely to be the reason for the air around Taim, I don't recall ever reading about Moridin/Ishamael having a warp in the air around them, and if this was a consequence of the TP that would affect non-ta'veren, who are we more likely to see it on than the guy who almost exclusively uses it?

In the quote with Taim and the darkness with him, there is no mention of a warp in the air, just of the room seeming to get darker, this matches well with early encounters with Ishamael, where I believe he had massive amounts of shadow following him around, not so much since his recycling.

I was referring to the 'air of imminent violence', not a warp in the air, as that's a very seperate thing, sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

I don't remember Ishamael having shadows following him around, but do remember him being in areas where there is primarily shadow, like the dream area (TAR?) where he toyed with the Ta'veren.

The only time I remember anything even vaguely along those lines was when Ishamael called to the DO for help just before Rand killed him with Callandor, something along the lines of "the darkness swirled up around him, and he laughed", although that's from memory so it's not a great quote.

My point was that the "air of imminent violence" seems to be much more similar to the weave Dashiva used on Cadsuane than it does to the warp in the air around Rand.

The dark warp in the air defiantly has something to do witht he True Power. As it was stated in one of the prior quotes. But Rand, Taim, and Ishmael all had this aura. Ishmael had it in the Eye of the World prologue when he "healed LLT with the True Power" and when he entered the Stone of Tear at the end of the Dragon Reborn.

This means:

- Taim can channel the True Power

- Rands tavern nature/being the dragon reborn/his current morality, all effect the warp in the air around him.

I did not mean that Rand necessarily had a new power, or had discovered something new, just that i think he has burnt himself out and needs to be healed, that is just an opinion though, but i believe the warp is from his tavareness as well, and that his tavareness is the cause of the apples blooming the way they did, for an explanation of why so many, it was not necessarily his will that did it either, simply the pattern righting itself after how many years now of the DO taint being on the land, summers that last all winter, and winters that last all summer, etc... it is simply the pattern saying in the past few years this should be how many apples you would have harvested, go for it. but yes no new power, and the warp is just his tavareness.

Personally, I think that he is not burnt out. It is completely impossible as he needed to create protection with weaves of power to stay alive atop DM. This has been stated many times by people on this forum and I just can not understand how there could be any scenario at all that would allow for Rand to be alive yet also burnt out, theyre mutually exclusive.

If I'm wrong about something please tell me, I'd hate to be wrong about Rand being burnt out as I think he's a cool guy, and moat of that coolness comes from the power, without it he's just another Everyman.

I did not mean that Rand necessarily had a new power, or had discovered something new, just that i think he has burnt himself out and needs to be healed, that is just an opinion though, but i believe the warp is from his tavareness as well, and that his tavareness is the cause of the apples blooming the way they did, for an explanation of why so many, it was not necessarily his will that did it either, simply the pattern righting itself after how many years now of the DO taint being on the land, summers that last all winter, and winters that last all summer, etc... it is simply the pattern saying in the past few years this should be how many apples you would have harvested, go for it. but yes no new power, and the warp is just his tavareness.

Dragon is one with the land and no it's is not a Ta'veren thing. RJ(or Sanderson) has confirmed this. It's a unique thing that only applies to him.

Ishamael did have a dark aura around him but it was more like black shadows that clung to him.

I think Rand's dark aura came from his emotional breaking, TP usage, and assuming the emotionless void and his Fisher King connection.

I don't see how anyone can deny the logic that his mood is causing the aura of light, the healing and such because it's the opposite of what was happening before when he was in a bad mood.

Good mood = Aura of Light Bad mood = Aura of Darkness. Good mood = Apples Grow. Bad Mood = All Apples die and food spoilage everywhere else he goes. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

We've seen the aura a few times.

Taim has one too, if I recall correctly.

Rand reminds me of my friend Tony Two Toes.

You see, Tony always had an odd smell about him, many claimed that they could see it coming off of him.

Much like Pigpen of Peanuts fame.

You see Tony couldn't find socks that fit just right, so when he found a pair he liked he kept wearing them for months at a time.

I once suggested to my friend that he give up shoes and socks all together and go straight to wearing flip flops.

This solved his problem. But now people complain about the sound he makes while walking.

You see, you can never make everyone happy, but a foul sound is much more pleasing then a foul scent, and the sound of

Tony walking down the hall is music to everyone's ears that knew him before.

Well, I'm gonna sidestep the obvious 'Rand farted and the intense heat/odour caused a shimmering effect' angle, because...well...it's too easy....

I see the aura as something attached to when Rand consciously tries to use or force his Ta'veren nature and alter the Patern how he chooses instead of the randomness that it decides to do it in.

The two situations the aura has been seen in when Rand confronted Tuon and when Hippy-Rand is prancing through the apple orchard. In one case he wants Tuon on his side and the other he wants...well... happy little apples. He's directing his Ta'veren nature. The first time the black halo was due to corruption of the True Power, the second time the True Powers influence got subverted by the euphoria of his Veins of Gold moment.

While I don't see the aura being permanent, only when Rand tries forcing his Ta'veren nature, there will still be reference to it in the feeling people get when they're around him, just like post True Power Rand.

word druid.

Not to be advesarial, but doesn't Tam mention that the room seemed to get darker when Rand entered it it tGS? I don't think Rand was trying to force his ta'verness in any way at that time.

I think the dark aura/darkness was just a reflection of his state of mind/Fisher King squareness. Before, he was on black, now he is on white. But he can always be changed back (as Graendal is trying to do, and to a lesser extent, Moggy and Cyndane by killing Mat/Perrin).

I think the aura is getting more visible, and he is getting more powers, so to speak, as the LB approaches and the Pattern becomes thinner and less secure. As this happens, the DO has more of an effect on things, but so to does the Creator's champion, if he's in the right state of mind.

Personally, I wish Rand would go visit Min, I want to see what she sees when she looks at him now. I bet those fireflies are doing a bit better.

The dark warp in the air defiantly has something to do witht he True Power. As it was stated in one of the prior quotes. But Rand, Taim, and Ishmael all had this aura. Ishmael had it in the Eye of the World prologue when he "healed LLT with the True Power" and when he entered the Stone of Tear at the end of the Dragon Reborn.

This means:

- Taim can channel the True Power

- Rands tavern nature/being the dragon reborn/his current morality, all effect the warp in the air around him.

Yup. Taim wielding the TP was one of my predictions on the old board. I'm pretty sure he is.

i will say it again the warp that we are seeing is only around rand, there are two types of "air warpage" going on. there is the dark aura, that taim, ishy, and rand have all had, and there is the air warp. no one else we have seen has had the effect that the air itself is warping around them, shimmering, or swirling as it were, even when dark, only rand. It is a thing of the Dragon, not even a thing of taveren, just a thing of the dragon.

Archived