DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Warp in the Air

Luckers

Requested by mattmattmattE.

Luckers, can we get a thread on the warp in the air around Rand? I think its nature is something worth discussing and that there may be more to it than we think.

Full pre-release spoilers, etc. I can elaborate more on my idea if a thread is made

Go.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, thanks Luckers

So this idea of mine is super fleshed out since I'm in college away from all my books for reference material. But regarding the warp in the air around Rand, can it truly be regarded a good thing even now that it's light colored after Veins of Gold? Remember, it first started appearing directly after Rand channeled the True Power. If it's just Rand's ta'veren nature then why didn't it show up before the True Power incident in the Gathering Storm?

Possible explanations:

1) The warp in the air manifests itself only after the Dragon, figuratively the Fisher piece in Sha'rah, is on a black (side of the Shadow) or white (side of the Light) square. The only problem I have with this is that if Rand truly had "moved" onto a black square by channeling the TP, wouldn't he have been fully turned to the Shadow? Darth Rand was still actively fighting the Shadow in TGS, no matter how blunt his actions were. Also, again, why hasn't it always been there? If Rand had been forced to move onto the black square, why did the warp appear only after that specific action?

2) The warp in the air is a direct effect caused by Rand using the True Power, and is therefore a Very Bad Thing. Say, somehow, Rand's usage of the True Power super charged his ta'vereness somehow, resulting in the warp. The Pattern would then start trying to pull events around him in an even greater amount than before, which could possibly put strain on it. With all the balefire that's been flying around lately, that can't be good. At this point, extra strain willingly put on the pattern by Rand, whether good (apples!) or bad (heart stoppage!), could be catastrophic and cause even more situations like Hinderstrap to pop up. BrS said there would be dire consequences for Rand channeling the True Power, and for now, I think this may just be it.

So, what do you all think? Is there more than meets the eye to the warp in the air around Rand, or am I just looking into it too much?

P.S. I'll be home in a week's time and will then post a more detailed and evidence filled theory on this, for now things are just a little jumbled

No, I don't think that he'd have to be 'totally turned by the Shadow' in order to be metaphorically on a Black Square. I tend to think that there's something beyond ta'veren-ness about Rand as the Dragon. I mean, there's ta'veren, then there's the Creator's Champion, born throughout time to stop the Dark One. He has to have something 'extra'. I think that is what this is, both dark and light 'auras' as it were.

No, I don't think that he'd have to be 'totally turned by the Shadow' in order to be metaphorically on a Black Square. I tend to think that there's something beyond ta'veren-ness about Rand as the Dragon. I mean, there's ta'veren, then there's the Creator's Champion, born throughout time to stop the Dark One. He has to have something 'extra'. I think that is what this is, both dark and light 'auras' as it were.

Good point, and Rand is the strongest ta'veren since Hawkwing, probably even stronger. But why did the warp suddenly appear after he channeled the True Power? Did it make him become even more ta'veren than before somehow? I just find it odd that it appeared after he used the TP, and not any other point in time (drawing Callandor, VoG, etc.).

I think he has to truly integrate with himself. When he was Dark Rand, he was integrated in a /bad/ way, when he is Light Rand, it's a good way. :) I don't think channeling the TP is a bad thing here. But I could be wrong!

Well, I'm gonna sidestep the obvious 'Rand farted and the intense heat/odour caused a shimmering effect' angle, because...well...it's too easy....

I see the aura as something attached to when Rand consciously tries to use or force his Ta'veren nature and alter the Patern how he chooses instead of the randomness that it decides to do it in.

The two situations the aura has been seen in when Rand confronted Tuon and when Hippy-Rand is prancing through the apple orchard. In one case he wants Tuon on his side and the other he wants...well... happy little apples. He's directing his Ta'veren nature. The first time the black halo was due to corruption of the True Power, the second time the True Powers influence got subverted by the euphoria of his Veins of Gold moment.

While I don't see the aura being permanent, only when Rand tries forcing his Ta'veren nature, there will still be reference to it in the feeling people get when they're around him, just like post True Power Rand.

Well, I'm gonna sidestep the obvious 'Rand farted and the intense heat/odour caused a shimmering effect' angle, because...well...it's too easy....

I see the aura as something attached to when Rand consciously tries to use or force his Ta'veren nature and alter the Patern how he chooses instead of the randomness that it decides to do it in.

The two situations the aura has been seen in when Rand confronted Tuon and when Hippy-Rand is prancing through the apple orchard. In one case he wants Tuon on his side and the other he wants...well... happy little apples. He's directing his Ta'veren nature. The first time the black halo was due to corruption of the True Power, the second time the True Powers influence got subverted by the euphoria of his Veins of Gold moment.

While I don't see the aura being permanent, only when Rand tries forcing his Ta'veren nature, there will still be reference to it in the feeling people get when they're around him, just like post True Power Rand.

Not to be advesarial, but doesn't Tam mention that the room seemed to get darker when Rand entered it it tGS? I don't think Rand was trying to force his ta'verness in any way at that time.

I think the dark aura/darkness was just a reflection of his state of mind/Fisher King squareness. Before, he was on black, now he is on white. But he can always be changed back (as Graendal is trying to do, and to a lesser extent, Moggy and Cyndane by killing Mat/Perrin).

I think the aura is getting more visible, and he is getting more powers, so to speak, as the LB approaches and the Pattern becomes thinner and less secure. As this happens, the DO has more of an effect on things, but so to does the Creator's champion, if he's in the right state of mind.

Personally, I wish Rand would go visit Min, I want to see what she sees when she looks at him now. I bet those fireflies are doing a bit better.

My ideas are a mile away from everyone else's but here goes:

I don't think Rand is the only one with (or who had) the dark aura/warping. We've seen mention of this with regard to the FS as well. Can't remember where exactly but I'm pretty sure Shadar Haran makes a room seem darker, as if he were exuding "non-light". Also when Rand has battled FS in TAR, he notes a darkness around whoever (more than one) that he was fighting. I think that it had something to do with the link to the DO - black wires. The black wires also related to the true power, as it comes from the DO. And Rand can sever them.

I think that when Rand was black, he was linked to the DO through the use of the TP. In his epiphany, he severed the link and connected with the Creator. There is past evidence that this is possible if it was the Creator who assisted him in tEotW as has been theorised but I'm not sure if that is fact or fiction.

I don't think it is forcing taverenness. I don't think a taveren "forces" their powers at all. The pattern pulls the taveren to where it needs him/her. I don't even think of it as being taveren power but more like the taveren is a catalyst for events that have low probability.

I believe Rand's warp in the air comes from his automatic exertion of his will on the pattern. He being who he is means he has a direct influence over events. Mat bends it to his will knowingly with his luck, Perrin bends it by running and hiding from his destiny, Rand seems to have been neutral in his influence. Because of his new revelation, he has cleansed his aura and is therefore creating a balanced effect to the pattern. I believe that should he wish it, he could manipulate matter with a mere thought, but because of his new found state of mind, he knows what he must do as well as how his actions affect the pattern. I think Rand knows what must be done as well as how to do it, the apples are like his blessing on mankind, his version of turning water into wine or drawing water from a rock as Moses did. He is not the Creator, the Creator does not influence the world directly, but it seems Rand's will and presence of mind act like the Creator has bestowed his blessing upon him. I think Rand could just as easily wilt the orchard and most likely cause death to anyone he encountered if he had kept his negative and hopeless state of mind.

He is renewed, reborn, resurrected. As Jesus was able to perform miracles after his resurrection, so too is Rand performing miracles to aid humanity in it's darkest moment. He was born not only to destroy the Dark One, but also save humanity and bring them back from the edge of chaos and primacy. He has started technological schools that will flourish after his death, his main focus has been on leaving a positive mark on the world after he is finished fulfilling his destiny. His new outlook will create ripples in the pattern that will balance the touch of the DO and bring Randland out of the Stone ages.

I guess we will see what he is really about and what his actual effect is, but it seems to me that Rand has finally embraced his destiny and his reward will be mankind's reward.

My ideas are a mile away from everyone else's but here goes:

I don't think Rand is the only one with (or who had) the dark aura/warping. We've seen mention of this with regard to the FS as well. Can't remember where exactly but I'm pretty sure Shadar Haran makes a room seem darker, as if he were exuding "non-light". Also when Rand has battled FS in TAR, he notes a darkness around whoever (more than one) that he was fighting. I think that it had something to do with the link to the DO - black wires. The black wires also related to the true power, as it comes from the DO. And Rand can sever them.

I think that when Rand was black, he was linked to the DO through the use of the TP. In his epiphany, he severed the link and connected with the Creator. There is past evidence that this is possible if it was the Creator who assisted him in tEotW as has been theorised but I'm not sure if that is fact or fiction.

I don't think it is forcing taverenness. I don't think a taveren "forces" their powers at all. The pattern pulls the taveren to where it needs him/her. I don't even think of it as being taveren power but more like the taveren is a catalyst for events that have low probability.

My understanding was that the black wires removed the taint from Saidin. When Rand severed Asmodean's wires, he freaked out because he knew he was going to go mad as all male channelerseventually do.

Important men in history have always had an effect on a room. Hitler was able to command an audience ebecause of his presence, Napoleon was said to have been able to affect the people in a room with his mere presence. These are real life examples, but important figures in history have always been sure of mind and been able to sway people to their way of thinking almost by pure instinct. Shadar Haran's presence is explained by his direct touch from the DO, he even manages to creep out the Forsaken.

Rand was able to touch the TP because the DO would have instantly benefitted from any action involving the TP. Rand used the OP with balefire to destroy an entire complex, erasing untold number of lives from the pattern. This would benefit the DO immensely, but I don't think he had intended on Rand having a come to Jesus moment atop Dragonmount.

I always found it curious that the DO never had Tam Al'Thor killed. I had been waiting for several books for Tam to bring Rand back from the edge, as only a Father can for a son. How easy it would have been to have Tam whacked, thus cutting Rand off from everything he ever found good in his life, ie Edmond's Field. Sending Rand a box stuffed with his Dads head would have been a sure way to drive Rand to madness. The only peace Rand ever knew came from his time before Moraine came and removed them from his home. It makes sense that if Rand were to come around, it would have had to come from someone who knew him before this time.

An aura is present around everyone, I believe its controlled by your emotions, deeds and how you treat others. When he was Dark Rand thats was when his emotions were stretched to the limits and he was also physically drained body and sole. The VoG epiphany has driven away all his emotional doubts and renew his mind and body and now we have an Aura which gives off a sense of elation, exhilaration and Light. Rands Dark side had been coming on for a long time, long before he used the TP.

I believe it was something simple that tipped him nearly over the edge and it had nothing to do with the TP or the DO. It was his own people.

When he walked among the people of Ebou Dar it was the People there who started him back to his true self. It didn't hit him straight away but by time he'd got to DragonMount his journey from the Dark side had just about run its course.

Small comment on this: Rand's got an Aura, but Mat has for quite a while felt "threads tugging at dice" and such with his luck. He has personally felt things altering in reality to his favor/will.

I'm not saying that the aura is ta'ver'en related (or not), but I do think it's worth noting certain characteristics. Perrin has never reported similar though...

A thought just occurred to me. Does anyone think that perhaps, maybe, Moridin a.k.a. Ishameal, was a former Dragon? That he got tired of being the Dragon and suffering so many pain and loss that he just want the whole thing to end? When Ishameal turned to the dark side, the Pattern immediately created a new Dragon, LTT who in his previous lives may have been a false Dragon but a potential candidate by the Pattern to be the Dragon in case the current Dragon failed?

Just a rambling thought.

People taking a character they see as 'dark and cool' and having him become one of the leading lights in the series, often taking over focus from the main protagonist. Similar to Wolverine Syndrome, really.

I believe Rand's warp in the air comes from his automatic exertion of his will on the pattern. He being who he is means he has a direct influence over events.

ghoullio. I personally think you're onto to it. My opinion is that the Pattern is quickly approaching the critical point - TG. There is still much for Rand to do to succeed. Maybe the Pattern is cranking up his ta'veren-ness to make sure people do what he needs them to. So much so that we can now see the Pattern warping around him.

We also know Rand touching the TP was not a good thing. Maybe that was the start of an adjustment by the Pattern. I can think of a few reasons why but they're all even more speculative than what I'm typing now.

Also, we know that certain characters, like Loial, can detect ta'veren. Maybe it's now amplified to such a point that it's obvious to anyone without the skill.

I don't know. It's just my speculation. If I'm wrong, well, it wouldn't be the first time in my life I've had something completely ass-backward.

A thought just occurred to me. Does anyone think that perhaps, maybe, Moridin a.k.a. Ishameal, was a former Dragon? That he got tired of being the Dragon and suffering so many pain and loss that he just want the whole thing to end? When Ishameal turned to the dark side, the Pattern immediately created a new Dragon, LTT who in his previous lives may have been a false Dragon but a potential candidate by the Pattern to be the Dragon in case the current Dragon failed?

Just a rambling thought.

The Dragon is always the same soul, different personalities. We cannot even confirm that Ishamael was spun out by the pattern multiple times like the Dragon is. Ishamael is not a ta'vern or the Creator's champion used to battle the Dark One and to keep the Pattern on course. It seems very unlikely that Ishamael was spun out multiple times when he served the Dark One in this life and we've had no indication that he served the Light in other lives or that even other lives existed. We do have evidence of the Dragon living other lives (LTT for example in Rand's situation, is one past life, but there are implications of others) and RJ has stated numerous times that the Dragon is the same soul born again but different personalities but the essence of that person is still the same regardless of what life he is currently living.

Remember that Taim had the Dark Aura too.

So he did...i'd need to find the quote though cos i cant remember it exactly.

even still though, i think it's probably i differant kind of aura altogether.

I recon that the "warp" effect has nothing to do with rands ta'veren nature but is a unique Dragon Reborn atribute that is either Dark or Light in relation to his current alignment/state of mind. I think the "warp"only appears when rand is at an extream of one of these alignments...thats why we've not seen it before now.

Rand was at an extream "shadow" alignment when he accesed the TP, causing the dark "warp" and then after his Veins of Gold epiphany he whent lightside and had a light "warp" effect.

I bet in ToM we'll see the room appear "lighter" when rand is around.

Brandon Sanderson said there would be dire consequences from Rand tapping TP. And the light warp around land is curious and puzzling.

Personally, I think that Almen is a wilder--or could perhaps learn to channel--and is simply seeing Rand's ta'veren nature. It's a far simpler explanation and doesn't require lightside/darkside TP contemplations.

As to how and why the apples are growing now, it could just as simple that he is healthier now and realizes that domination, control, and force aren't always the best methods to band people together--particularly if they lack basic needs. That is to say, he channeled the apples to grow. Perhaps both used his ta'veren nature in conjunction with his channeling. (supposing that's possible)

Found it on the Taim thread, from WH don't have a specific location, but i do have the quote...

"Taim strode in the room as tough he owned the Palace. She did not need him named. Blue and gold dragons wove round the sleeves of his black coat from elbows to cuffs, in imitation of the Dragons on Rands arms. Though she suspected he would not appreciate the observation. He was tall, nearly as tall as Rand, with a hooked nose and dark eyes like augurs, a physically powerful man who moved with something of a Warders deadly grace, but shadows seem to follow him, as if half the lamps in the room had gone out; not real shadows, but an air of imminent violencethat seemed palpable enough to soak up light"

Discuss.

Here are two quotes related to this subject that may help.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Dallas Borders 14 November 2009 - Aubrey Pham reporting

The prophecy of the land being one with the Dragon Reborn, and the Dragon being one with the land will play a big role in these last three books.

The black/dark aura around Rand is partially, but not entirely, an effect of True Power usage. There will be consequences from Rand's True Power use.

From theoryland interview database https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcjspjqg_65hcgdp7gw

So here is what I get from these two.

The TP does create a "dark aura" type thing, but not exactly the same as Rand.

A part of the aura is because of the TP, but the other is in part because of the "Dragon is one with the Land" bit. NO idea exactly how that works but it seems logical.

Dark Aura = Rand spoiling food and such wherever he goes. TP also.

Light Aura = Rand healing plants etc..

WE know that Rand's emotions are tied to the health of the Land, so I think the Aura is a representation of that.

I am not sure why he hasnt always had the aura if this is the case, but I would say that as the DO is nearly free, Rand's "one with land" power has been activated by the pattern or somesuch.

Archived