DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Warp in the Air

Luckers

Personally, I think that he is not burnt out. It is completely impossible as he needed to create protection with weaves of power to stay alive atop DM. This has been stated many times by people on this forum and I just can not understand how there could be any scenario at all that would allow for Rand to be alive yet also burnt out, theyre mutually exclusive.

If I'm wrong about something please tell me, I'd hate to be wrong about Rand being burnt out as I think he's a cool guy, and moat of that coolness comes from the power, without it he's just another Everyman.

if rand has been burned out, all he has to do is get egwene to take him him back to tear, where he can say "nyneave, flinn, link and heal me." an then he will ne three times more powerful then before. no eriously though, burning out or being severed is not a bad thing anymore, because it can healed, but it would definately teach him a lesson, and as far as the weaves holding him alive, well the pattern could have easily kept him alive, or the weaves he would have made could have been tied off. but i done see any reason for the weaves in the first place, especially considering it never mentioned them in the book. maybe this is simply because RJ/BS didnt think it through enough to realize that the fan base was thinking of dragonmount as mount everest, and overlooked the thought, but i myself have never thought of it as being so high you needed oxygen, i have been hiking places, without oxygen that i could see halfway down the mountain and see the cloud bank. i have lived in one of those places before. it is not out of the ordinary and i dont think that dragonmount peak is six miles or more above sea level.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taim aint not weildin' the damned bloody True power. Burn me for a fool if we ever find out he does, though. :biggrin:

What we're seeing from Rand is a Dragon Reborn only power. The room gets darker or lighter because he is either Darth Rand or Jedi Rand. It's got nothing to do with his TP acces, well not directly at least but more to do with his extreme alignment shift at the current time.

When rand is collared by Semi, he needed to allign himself to a suitibly "Dark" state of mind in order to acces the TP and save Min. This extreme shift in alignment caused the warp.

Post VoG Rand we see that the "Warp" is now light rather than dark.

This is because his Epiphany atop Dragonmount caused his alignment to shift to the other extreme. For the FIRST TIME Rand has gone all Zen on us. In earlier books he was always "good" but never the real embodyment of the champion of the light. Which he is now.

I recon if we ever see Rand go out of Zen mode, the warp will dissapear. I don't think we have to worry about him going darkside again either, so i don't think we'll see any more TP channeling from him. and therefore no "dark" warp either.

Thats like the 3rd time i've posted my theory in its entirety... :rolleyes:

I am not sure how GOOD this "light aura" actually is. It is described in the very same language the "dark aura" was; "twisted", "bent" and other, in the context of the sentences, words with negative connotations. Then again, there are not too many synonyms for the words in question that DONT carry inherent negativity; we Americans weld whats twisted and not straight to what is sinister. But I did find it...odd and slightly disconcerting that the two were described in pretty much the same terms. I wonder if that has any signifigance beyond mere cooincidence.

Taim aint not weildin' the damned bloody True power. Burn me for a fool if we ever find out he does, though. :biggrin:

What we're seeing from Rand is a Dragon Reborn only power. The room gets darker or lighter because he is either Darth Rand or Jedi Rand. It's got nothing to do with his TP acces, well not directly at least but more to do with his extreme alignment shift at the current time.

When rand is collared by Semi, he needed to allign himself to a suitibly "Dark" state of mind in order to acces the TP and save Min. This extreme shift in alignment caused the warp.

This is because his Epiphany atop Dragonmount caused his alignment to shift to the other extreme. For the FIRST TIME Rand has gone all Zen on us. In earlier books he was always "good" but never the real embodyment of the champion of the light. Which he is now.

I recon if we ever see Rand go out of Zen mode, the warp will dissapear. I don't think we have to worry about him going darkside again either, so i don't think we'll see any more TP channeling from him. and therefore no "dark" warp either.

So... then...

What's the dark aura around Taim? And if it's nothing then why did Brandon mention it at all? Keep rolling your eyes genius, one of these days hopefully you're be right!

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot! rolleyes.gif

So... then...

What's the dark aura around Taim? And if it's nothing then why did Brandon mention it at all? Keep rolling your eyes genius, one of these days hopefully you're be right!

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot! rolleyes.gif

I will be damn you!!

No but seriously, it all fits in my head.

Taim had the dark aura in the same way that Rand had the dark aura. Not the dark warp.

Taim is a Darkfriend...or something suitibly misaligned from the light. this is why the room goes dark when he's there.

Same with rand when he was all "darth Rand" on our asses, the room went dark because of his alignment shift.

Haha, everyone has they're pet theorys around here, but mine makes sence to me!!

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The warp in the air was there before, after he had channeled the TP. At that time, he was not aware of it. Others could see it, but only vaguely.

And then there's that event where Rand got super pissed off, and all the wheat(was it wheat) in the entire city went bad in the blink of an eye.

But he didn't link the dots, or at least he never said or thought "could it be my Ta'Veren?".

Although perhaps he did, when he asked Cadsuane if she believed he could make her heart stop beating if he wanted to, due to his Ta'Veren.

My idea is: he believed the Ta'Veren could only work in such a fashion if he directly wanted it. He ignored, or did not consider possible, the option that his emotions might have effects on the surroundings.

Now however, he's actively using his Ta'Veren, as we saw when he made all the Apples edible again.

He said: "My presence will keep him away, at least for a while"(or something to that effect). But that's only because he now controls his power.

I'm going back to the very first book, EOTW, where Rand and Mat were traveling across the land, trying to reach Caemlin.

One night, they played in a bar till everyone left, except one fat travelling merchant, later confirmed DF. The DF passed on their location to Ishamael, whom said something to the effect of: "it's not hard to find a bonfire amidst some candles".

Rand's Ta'Veren makes him visible on the pattern, and if he doesn't know how to use his powers, that means they can get him. Like they did when the story began.

Now, after many years of training and his most recent return to emotions, atop the DragonMount, it would seem his training is complete, and he now is able to use all his skills to more effectively combat the DO and also use the good in him to influence the threads besides him as he wishes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BillNye

Hey I am thinking that while the TP (yes toilet paper) is directly from the DO, and the creator has giving Rand a bump in the right direction before... Why not hook Rand, who happens to be the creator's home boy, up with some CJ (creation juice) to rival the DO? Also that would make sense because the DO doesn't really make anything just messes up good stuff already made by the creator. Or else he makes warped copies to do his evil for him.

To tie that in with the auras around Rand when he is turning into a walking Aridhol (the corrupted city), the DO sees it as a chance to let him roll and juices him up with TP. the DO took advantage of his insane over zealous do good no matter the cost attitude, at this point he is arguably not even human. When Rand breaks down remembers the people he's fighting for and has his revelation, the creator supplies him with the True True Power aka creation juice. I think a big hint at this is when Rand meets with Egewen(sorry about spelling) he is shielded but she comments that she thinks he could have broken out anyway. I like my little idea so if(when) it gets ripped to shreds just know you made me cry.

Hey I am thinking that while the TP (yes toilet paper) is directly from the DO, and the creator has giving Rand a bump in the right direction before... Why not hook Rand, who happens to be the creator's home boy, up with some CJ (creation juice) to rival the DO?

Actually I've liked this idea sine TP was first mentioned. The entire series has a theme of balance, so it fits. Saidin to balance Saidar, X to balance TP. It doesn't feel complete balance wise when light and dark can both channel OP but dark also has TP.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheManBehindTheMask

Awesome, thanks Luckers

So this idea of mine is super fleshed out since I'm in college away from all my books for reference material. But regarding the warp in the air around Rand, can it truly be regarded a good thing even now that it's light colored after Veins of Gold? Remember, it first started appearing directly after Rand channeled the True Power. If it's just Rand's ta'veren nature then why didn't it show up before the True Power incident in the Gathering Storm?

Possible explanations:

1) The warp in the air manifests itself only after the Dragon, figuratively the Fisher piece in Sha'rah, is on a black (side of the Shadow) or white (side of the Light) square. The only problem I have with this is that if Rand truly had "moved" onto a black square by channeling the TP, wouldn't he have been fully turned to the Shadow? Darth Rand was still actively fighting the Shadow in TGS, no matter how blunt his actions were. Also, again, why hasn't it always been there? If Rand had been forced to move onto the black square, why did the warp appear only after that specific action?

2) The warp in the air is a direct effect caused by Rand using the True Power, and is therefore a Very Bad Thing. Say, somehow, Rand's usage of the True Power super charged his ta'vereness somehow, resulting in the warp. The Pattern would then start trying to pull events around him in an even greater amount than before, which could possibly put strain on it. With all the balefire that's been flying around lately, that can't be good. At this point, extra strain willingly put on the pattern by Rand, whether good (apples!) or bad (heart stoppage!), could be catastrophic and cause even more situations like Hinderstrap to pop up. BrS said there would be dire consequences for Rand channeling the True Power, and for now, I think this may just be it.

So, what do you all think? Is there more than meets the eye to the warp in the air around Rand, or am I just looking into it too much?

P.S. I'll be home in a week's time and will then post a more detailed and evidence filled theory on this, for now things are just a little jumbled

Rand has to be able to channel the True Power in order to use it as a buffer between the Saidin/Saidar. Otherwise the dark one's evil will again taint the One Power Again.

Archived