DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

HE’S FROM SHARA!

Fains nose

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the Sharan man that appears in an Inn in Tear during Knife of Dreams, page 446 ‘Within The Stone’ (British paperback edition).

[Rand, Alivia, Nynaeve, Cadsuane, Min and some Far Dareis Mai enter the Inn]

A very dark fellow with tightly curled hair, at a square table beside the door, seemed not to notice the Maidens at all. Rand took him for one of the Sea Folk at first, though he wore a peculiar coat without collar or lapels, once white but now stained and wrinkled. “I tell you, I have many, many of the… the worms that make… yes, make… silk on a ship,” he said haltingly in an odd, musical accent. “But I must have the…the … andberry … yes, andberry leaves to feed them. We will be rich.”

His companion waved a plump, dismissive hand even while staring at the Maidens. “Worms?” he said absently. “Everybody knows silk grows on trees.”

Walking deeper into the common room, Rand shook his head as the proprietor advanced to meet him. Worms! The tales people could come up with to try prying coin out of somebody else.

The man’s physical description (dark skinned, with tightly curled hair) is consistent with descriptions of Sharans we have seen in Graendals lair, he has a weird, never-before-seen accent, and knows about silk, which comes from Shara. He is obviously from Shara but I have never seen him discussed or mentioned on these forums before. It is interesting because immediately after he is shown, Rand and co. and us as readers, are distracted by the Seanchan drawling accent coming from another man:

[Rand talks to the innkeeper, then…]

“It is worms that make silk, friend,” a man drawled behind him. “My eyes on it.”

At that familiar accent, Rand spun to find Alivia staring, wide-neyed and her face bloodless, at a man in a dark coat who was just passing through the doorway into the street. With an oath, Rand ran to the door, but there were close to a dozen men in dark coats walking away from the Inn, anyone whom might have spoken. There was no way to pick out a man of average height and width seen only from behind. What was a Seanchan doing in Tear?

Very interesting that RJ shows us a Man who is clearly from Shara, though perhaps it’s not immediately noticeable, and then he distracts us, the readers, and the characters, with a Seanchan. Even weirder, and to add to the conspiracy, I posted this exact extract and write-up a few months ago on this forum, but didn’t even get one response on the subject. *the twilight zone theme tune plays*

So, to stop me going crazy over this, can I first get an acknowledgement that the man with the dark skin, tightly curled hair, halting, musical accent, and silk worms is from Shara, and then, tell me what significance you guys think this has. Could this be an indicator of some potential future Sharan involvement in Randland? Or does it just mean that Shara is in upheaval/civil war because of the Forsaken or news of the Dragon Reborn, and that Sharan refugees are fleeing? Personally, I have no idea, I just want someone to acknowledge that LOOK, IT’S A SHARAN!!!

Sharans are very tight lipped about what goes on in Shara. The Sharans in the tradeholds bordering the waste and trade ports the Seafolk use are not allowed to leave the city they live in and the wall are super high so Aiel and Seafolk visiting can't see outside the city.

And it is the source of silk in The Waste and Randland (Seanchan produce their own).

What the Aiel, Seafolk and Randlanders know about Shara is from The Travels of Jain Farstrider.

Word about the land has gotten out which shouts major turmoil in Shara, the reason is Graendal "collecting" their ruling couple. The fact that a Sharan has gotten out of Shara, with enough silk worms to produce silk domestically says the land is practically in anarchy.

I had assumed it was one of the mountain tribemen of seanchan. Y'know, the one who drinks from the skull?

No, it def is a Sharan. I agree with Kaznen in that if a Sharan has made it out with a ship and silk worms the country has to be in major "Let The Lord of Chaos Rule" mode. Would love to see more ramifications from this fallout and who will gain control. There is a large amount of channeling resources up there. Remember this is a country that has been breeding channelers as opposed to gentling every man. Based on that they should have a higher percentage of active channelers in their population. In addition who knows what specialized weaves they may have!

Hmm, never saw it that way before, but yes, I agree that it must've been a Sharan man. A lot of speculation about the Forsaken's activities have ruled out Shara bacause no evidene existed that they might play a role, but this could change my mind on that as well!

I love the whole idea of a Forsaken conspiracy to bring silk production to Randland, its just so silly. The man probably grabbed some silkworms, gave a gift to some sea folk, and headed outta Dodge (or an Anarchic Shara). There is no deep dark conspiracy going on, and the only people adversely affected will be some very angry Sharan Silk Merchants, who, lets be honest, deserve it.

I am not sold that this is a Sharaman. The man speaks, and Rand recognizes the accent and chases after. I have re-read many times, and always assumed it was a Seanchan.

“It is worms that make silk, friend,” a man drawled behind him. “My eyes on it.”

At that familiar accent, Rand spun to find Alivia staring, wide-neyed and her face bloodless, at a man in a dark coat who was just passing through the doorway into the street. (quoted from above, not directly from books)

And Alivia seems to recognize it to and it scares her. Rand spun around at the accent, it was that striking and familiar. I say Seanchan.

I am not sold that this is a Sharaman. The man speaks, and Rand recognizes the accent and chases after. I have re-read many times, and always assumed it was a Seanchan.

At that familiar accent, Rand spun to find Alivia staring, wide-neyed and her face bloodless, at a man in a dark coat who was just passing through the doorway into the street. (quoted from above, not directly from books)

And Alivia seems to recognize it to and it scares her. Rand spun around at the accent, it was that striking and familiar. I say Seanchan.

That was a second man that had the seanchan accent. The first man spoke in an accent they had Not heard before.

A very dark fellow with tightly curled hair, at a square table beside the door, seemed not to notice the Maidens at all. Rand took him for one of the Sea Folk at first, though he wore a peculiar coat without collar or lapels, once white but now stained and wrinkled. “I tell you, I have many, many of the… the worms that make… yes, make… silk on a ship,” he said haltingly in an odd, musical accent. “But I must have the…the … andberry … yes, andberry leaves to feed them. We will be rich.”

I always thought it was a Sharan as well, fleeing the wars in Shara that the Aiel had spoken of in previous books. Noal says about somebody "as dark as a Shara man" or something like that at one point too. matches the discription. I don't know that there is any major plot significance tho. Could just be one of those little details RJ threw in for more depth, but RAFO I guess.

There are two men, the first one, who starts talking about silkworms, is a Sharan (Sorry Fains nose, but this has been discussed since the release of KOD, so you are a few years behind with your discoverybiggrin.gif). The second one, who says the first is correct, he is from Senchan, and he is the one who makes Rand and Alivia react.

I love the whole idea of a Forsaken conspiracy to bring silk production to Randland, its just so silly. The man probably grabbed some silkworms, gave a gift to some sea folk, and headed outta Dodge (or an Anarchic Shara). There is no deep dark conspiracy going on, and the only people adversely affected will be some very angry Sharan Silk Merchants, who, lets be honest, deserve it.

HAHA I really don't think that anyone is suggesting the man with silk worms is part of a Forsaken conspiracy. From what we know of the fallout from Graendal's actions the country is in such anarchy it is doubtful there is even still stable trade. With the riots and fighting the last thing silk merchants are worrying about is that someone made it out.

There are two men, the first one, who starts talking about silkworms, is a Sharan (Sorry Fains nose, but this has been discussed since the release of KOD, so you are a few years behind with your discoverybiggrin.gif). The second one, who says the first is correct, he is from Senchan, and he is the one who makes Rand and Alivia react.

well if its been discussed since KoD ive never seen it, and ive seen a lot of people saying that Shara cant be involved in the future story because there is no foreshadowing, those people obviously didnt know about this

We do know about this, and I don't think anyone was suggesting that individual Sharans couldn't be involved. It's Shara as a nation that is problematic. The Aiel had two full books dedicated to their introduction, and many earlier encounters--and even then the Aiel Instant Army is pushing it.

There simply isn't time to develop and expose the culture. That is the objection we have.

It could be he is a spy scouting out the area for the Great Sharan Invasion force which will destroy the whole world.

But from that scene, I think most just didnt think it that important. Sure, it is interesting and such, but we already know crap has hit the fan in Shara from Graendal with her Sharan pets. She kidnapped their leaders. Forsaken + capture leaders = trouble. Seeing a random Sharan trying to sell silk in one paragraph didnt really give us anything monumental.

I think thats why its not been a big thing.

Oh and in addition to Luckers' post, he is correct, there isnt enough time. Brandon has said that these books are to wrap up loose ends and threads, not start new ones. I think a whole country would be a fairly big new thing.

In addition to the addition. It would ruin the Sharan mystery. IMO Shara is so compelling because we only see these little things. For them to be introduced as a whole in the final two books would feel like a rush and ruin it. Id rather read about them in the encyclopaedia.

Without a doubt Shara is planning a massive invasion, as they sent 1 man to sell silk... Then again, it would be cool for Demandred to just appear with half a million troops and channelers right in the middle of Tear or something :P It does seem as if time is running out for all our theories to come into play...hopefully ToM will leave things up in the air so we don't throw everything in the loony bin :biggrin:

I like the idea of a Greater Shara Co-Prosperity Sphere - an empire centred on Shara's need to expand its silk exports, driven by a sort of maternalistic colonial policy (Taking up the Dark Woman's Burden, if you like).

I also like the thought of hot channelling dominatrices (Semirhages-ripoffs) clad in shimmering red & black silk combos, pouring out of a Gateway to kidnap Elayne as she bathes.

But I don't think it's going to happen for the same reasons Luckers doesn't.

It wouldn't fit RJ's narrative style and structure at all.

Sure, Shara and far more, Seanchan could play roles in the next two books. There might be odd key characters from Shara (there are obviously plenty from Seanchan). Both those places may feature fleetingly on the canvas. But I can't see Shara as a nation playing a big role.

• 3 weeks later...

we might not get much of the actual culture, but there have been foreshadowings of shara from ever since graendel kidnaps their leaders. graendel first, then noal/jain, the war over there, the sharaman in tear, asmodeans "secret mission" coupled with no more news from shara, the WT plans to breed gentled male channelers, the information we hear from noal/jain about how shara does just that, asmos "secret mission" being fulfilled, there is a lot of foreshadowing here.

<br>we might not get much of the actual culture, but there have been foreshadowings of shara from ever since graendel kidnaps their leaders.  graendel first, then noal/jain, the war over there, the sharaman in tear, asmodeans "secret mission" coupled with no more news from shara, the WT plans to breed gentled male channelers, the information we hear from noal/jain about how shara does just that, asmos "secret mission" being fulfilled, there is a lot of foreshadowing here.<br>
<br>References to Asmo's "secret mission"? <br><br>

i, for one, will be completely disatisfied if we get no significant sharan (?) involvement in the events leading up to and including TG. i am not saying that we need any new POV characters, or new plot arcs. it's just that if there is no mention of significant sharan involvement, it will cheapen things for me. at the end of the day, TG is an event equally impacting all the world, and the dragon is the champion for all naitons. it will not seem suitably epic or all-encompassing if an entire third of the world is ignored. even if we do'n't follow their stories directly, there should be clear indications of events and complexities and contributions towards the last battle from the Sharan sub-continent, on the scale of what we are going to see from the other 3 major culture groups.

Archived