DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 1 "Apples First"

JenniferL

Complicated theory but I'll give it a shot.

LoC:

"There is fighting in Shamara," Rhuarc said around his pipe-stem.

'There is never fighting in Shara, Rand al'Thor. It is said the Trolloc Wars infested them"—Trollocs had

entered the Aiel Waste too; since then the Trolloc name for the Aiel Waste was the Dying Ground—"but if

there has been one battle since, no word of it has come to the tradeholds. Not much word of anything outside

the holdwalls does come inside. They say their land has always been one, not many as here, always at peace.

When you came from Rhuidean as the Car'a'earn, word of you spread, and of your title among the wetlanders

here. The Dragon Reborn. Word traveled to the tradeholds along the Great Rift and the Cliffs of Dawn."

Rhuarc's eyes were calm and steady; this did not trouble him. "Now word comes back across the Three-fold

Land. There is fighting in Shara, and Sharamen in the tradeholds ask when the Dragon Reborn will Break the

World."

tGS:

"My rule is secure," Demandred said simply. "I gather for war. We will be ready."

ToM:

The wind continued eastward, and soon it was playing with the masts of half-burned ships at the docks of Takisrom. Out into the Sleeping Bay, it passed the attackers: enormous greatships with sails painted blood red. They sailed southward, their grisly work done.

Men did not whisper that this might be the end of times. They yelled it. The Fields of Peace were aflame, the Tower of Ravens was broken as prophesied and a murderer openly ruled in Seandar.

This not a new theory, but Seanchan was clearly attacked by sea, with 'attackers on enormous greatships'. Building ships of that size requires a LOT of resources, and Seanchan's entire navy (or close to it) was sent along with the Return to the main continent. I'll also note that the closest way to get to Imfaral from outside Seanchan is (you guessed it) Shara.

Semirhage spoke of 50 different factions contenting for the Seanchan throne. There is no way one of those factions could have solidified its rule in Seandar there this quickly over 49 other competitors --- unless there was outside help, i.e., via 'enormous greatships' carrying armies from Shara.

Theory: Demandred has nothing to do with the Borderlanders. Rather, Demandred used Sharan forces to take over Seandar and perhaps other parts of Seanchan after the empire collapsed.

I'm not even sure if I believe this theory myself, but it has more merit now that we know that the attacks on Seanchan were naval-oriented in part.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, I noticed that Rand said he doubted the Amyrlin would be pleased by what "he" told "her." Doesn't seem like he's concerned she's going to be angry about something that had happened before. I'm guessing this has something to do with new understanding he has in combination with what happened back in the AoL with the female Aes Sedai and the Fateful Concord. What was her name? Lara Rose Pentae or something? The "voice" of LTT was dwelling on this in TGS and "Rand" had been pressing him for answers.

Love this idea. I've recently been thinking that Egwene is Latra Posea (or whatever her name is) reborn.

Also, it's cool to me that after 12 books, Rand is finally going to Tar Valon for the first time. Remember how that was originally their desired destination back in tEotW?

Good stuff!

Also, I noticed that Rand said he doubted the Amyrlin would be pleased by what "he" told "her." Doesn't seem like he's concerned she's going to be angry about something that had happened before. I'm guessing this has something to do with new understanding he has in combination with what happened back in the AoL with the female Aes Sedai and the Fateful Concord. What was her name? Lara Rose Pentae or something? The "voice" of LTT was dwelling on this in TGS and "Rand" had been pressing him for answers.

I doubt it is something he learned from his epiphany at DM, since he says it is something he has been putting off. Also, he starts by saying he is going to do something. My first thought was that since Rand should not know that Egwene has been raised Amyrlin in the WT, Rand has decided to waltz into the rebel camp and take charge of ending the conflict. Which would be a nice nod back to earlier comments about mens promises to be there when they are needed, while constantly being late.

And while it will not happen, I can not help but wish that the Amyrlins anger that Rand will know will be Egwene being upset because Rand throws gawyn out the windowbiggrin.gif

I doubt it is something he learned from his epiphany at DM, since he says it is something he has been putting off. Also, he starts by saying he is going to do something. My first thought was that since Rand should not know that Egwene has been raised Amyrlin in the WT, Rand has decided to waltz into the rebel camp and take charge of ending the conflict. Which would be a nice nod back to earlier comments about mens promises to be there when they are needed, while constantly being late.

And while it will not happen, I can not help but wish that the Amyrlins anger that Rand will know will be Egwene being upset because Rand throws gawyn out the windowbiggrin.gif

Hey, stop picking on the man. His sister though......

the way Rand is now (at least from first chapter) i'm not going to be surprised if all the good people that want him dead will actually follow him. isn't it part of being taverin - people that wanted to kill you end up being your loyal followers? (I remember Mat mentioned that once for sure)

I think the assumption has been made that Rand is heading to Egwene but we do not know that for sure. I don't believe he is aware yet that she is the Amyrlin. He could just be going to see the Amyrlin seat in general to tell her something she does not like but I doubt this as well because at least check the Amyrlin Seat (to Rand anyways) is the one that put him ionto the box. No, I think he is going to Tuon. He will make common cause and this is what will cause him to "Know the Amyrlins anger". Just my guess.

Great setup chapter, and good conversation.

First, I love Rand's new powers, and the fact he is aware of them (but maybe not to the fullest extent, did he know he effectively healed/reinvigorated Almer?). I think a DR tour to rally the troops, make amends, and bring in the harvest will soon follow.

Second, I am concerned about the Bloodknives, and the incredible moping dope that is Gawyn, causing trouble in the Tower. But the idea of a confrontation with Mesaana is the most delicious.

Third, as for his conversation with Egwene. Maybe he remembers something about Sealing the Bore before? And what went wrong?I like that idea. But LB strategy, the Seanchan, and the Black Tower have to be at the forefront. And the Borderlanders (as they respect AS) would also be a good issue.

Last, I like everything coming full circle. Rand finally makes it to Tar Valon. In Ch. 1 of EoTW, Rand and Tam bring Apple Brandy (among other things) to Emond's Field for Bel Time. Now, Rand brings apples to Tar Valon. Very cool.

I think the assumption has been made that Rand is heading to Egwene but we do not know that for sure. I don't believe he is aware yet that she is the Amyrlin. He could just be going to see the Amyrlin seat in general to tell her something she does not like but I doubt this as well because at least check the Amyrlin Seat (to Rand anyways) is the one that put him ionto the box. No, I think he is going to Tuon. He will make common cause and this is what will cause him to "Know the Amyrlins anger". Just my guess.

Since he's apparently walking the way he'll be hardpressed not to find out that Egwene is Amyrlin.

Great setup chapter, and good conversation.

First, I love Rand's new powers, and the fact he is aware of them (but maybe not to the fullest extent, did he know he effectively healed/reinvigorated Almer?). I think a DR tour to rally the troops, make amends, and bring in the harvest will soon follow.

Second, I am concerned about the Bloodknives, and the incredible moping dope that is Gawyn, causing trouble in the Tower. But the idea of a confrontation with Mesaana is the most delicious.

Third, as for his conversation with Egwene. Maybe he remembers something about Sealing the Bore before? And what went wrong?I like that idea. But LB strategy, the Seanchan, and the Black Tower have to be at the forefront. And the Borderlanders (as they respect AS) would also be a good issue.

Last, I like everything coming full circle. Rand finally makes it to Tar Valon. In Ch. 1 of EoTW, Rand and Tam bring Apple Brandy (among other things) to Emond's Field for Bel Time. Now, Rand brings apples to Tar Valon. Very cool.

You really think Mesaana would dare to confront Rand? She doesn't have the guts.

Why does everyone think the bloodknives still live? They were dropped off on the island with a short period of time to live. We know at least one was activated (and probably all 5) and died.

Egwene was a prisoner when that happened. She's now been raised and enough time has passed that she saw the ring of light appear after calmly sitting at her desk; we know that's several days.

Unless the bloodknives are literally chilling out there well after the attack, they should all be dead by now. i realize we didn't see them very much in action, but then we didn't see the very elite fists of heaven in much action either...

@TreeJoe...

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Sam Weller's Bookstore, Salt Lake City 2 November 2009 - Matt Hatch reporting

Question: Is it an assumption that we haven’t seen the last of [the Bloodknives]?

Answer: There were five sent. We know one is dead. The other four, they may have lived or died through the assault, it was pretty chaotic, but they are expert warriors with ter’angreal focused on letting them hide.

Question: How long does that affect last? Days?

Answer: That affect can be stretched if they take it off, for several weeks. It is going to kill them eventually. If they are wearing it straight, it’s not going to last long, a matter of days, but if they take it off they can hide for a matter of weeks. So, there are four unaccounted for, who have orders to kill as many Aes Sedai as they can.

I don't think the bloodknives will be a worry for Rand. Yes, they are to kill Aes Sedai, but they won't know Rand is a channeler even if he channels. And when he is named Dragon Reborn or pronounces himself as such, they know well that he is supposed to kneel to the Crystal throne.

So unless they are darkfriends like someone suggested I highly doubt there will be much of an issue pertaining to Rand being attacked by bloodknives.

Now as far as the chapter goes I really enjoyed it. At first I thought "Damn, I don't care about Almen Bunt, I want to see it from someone else!" Of course, I completely forgot that we had already seen Almen, which was a touch I really liked, and really pulled it together.

It'll probably be a handful of chapters before we get back to Rand and Co. I wonder if his meeting with Egwene will be from his PoV or hers? I don't think I could stand it if it's from her perspective.

I think the apples that Rand grew on the trees were Honey Crisps, because they are the best and he wouldn't wouldn't want the second rate Red Delicious apples.

I am eating a Honeycrisp right now as I troll this forum. I'm delighted to find a kindred spirit. Let's plan it. When we finally crack ToM in its entirety... let us hold the divine apple in our other hand.

Maybe I missed something, but why is everybody so sure Rand is going to see Egwene/the Amyrlin? I mean, sure, it's walking distance from Dragonmount, but for all we know he could be going anywhere right? Actually, before reading the forums I was hoping he was either going to hit Cadsuane in the face or "get Aviendha pregnant" ;)

I am really curious to see whether his body has been healed at all (I don't think it has). Not just in regards to his wounds but also his blurry vision and nausea when reaching for the OP. I think those issues will remain since they are a result of crossing balefire streams with moridin but I wonder if he is at least temporarily shielded from those problems.

This is my first real post and a total shot in the dark

Rand has finally realised what he has to do.. he has to fight the Dark One, but not in the physical....

The Dark One is the opposite to the Creator, the yin to yang, the chaos to order. The Dark One exists on all planes in all ages across the universe, just like the creator he is ethereal...

Not once have we seen or heard that people can physically touch or see the dark one. Rand isn't here to physically take on the Dark One he is the champion of the Creator and it is his role to counter the powers of the Dark One, he will be the light to guide the people to fight the forces of the Dark One, to unite mankind against the power of darkness, whilst he will counter the powers of the Dark One with the new powers that have been infused in him since he finally realised what he had to do on the top of dragonmount.

Maybe I missed something, but why is everybody so sure Rand is going to see Egwene/the Amyrlin? I mean, sure, it's walking distance from Dragonmount, but for all we know he could be going anywhere right? Actually, before reading the forums I was hoping he was either going to hit Cadsuane in the face or "get Aviendha pregnant" ;)

Well, I assume he's going to the Amyrlin for a number of reasons:

1:

"Now . . . well, now he wasn’t so sure. He glanced eastward, toward Tar Valon. Could the witches be to blame for the failed crop?" "He looked eastward. Almen felt a pull inside of him. Something was tugging him softly in the direction the stranger had gone."

2:

He's walking. If he was off to see anyone else who he needed to see, he probably wouldn't be walking. He could have just Traveled off the mountain. Unless, of course, he burned himself out by blowing up the Choden Kal, but that's something else entirely.

3:

We know he needs to "feel the Amyrlin's wrath" or whatever the wording is. Plus, he's been putting off seeing the Amyrlin for books and books, especially after LoC. He says "to do something I've been putting off." Fits nicely to me.

4:

Nowhere else would make much sense. Why would he go see Cadsuane? Why would he go back to see Tuon after he just tried to blow them up? Mostly, though, I think I can reiterate point number 2 again: why on earth would he be walking toward Tar Valon if he wanted to see anyone else?

Wow, that went from an okay chapter to sublime by the end. I haven't felt this sense of hope and light in years from Wheel of Time. There's something thrilling about it, it reminds me of some of my favorite Wheel of Time moments.

I hope ToM isn't bogged down by Perrin, Faile and the Whitecloaks too much, since I am so looking forward to Rand's reunion with Egwene, Tuon, and Cadsuane post revelation. Not to mention Moiraine.

I immediately thought he was going to see Egwene. However the other possibility is Elayne. I thought Egwene because of the comment she would not be happy with what he said and we have been waiting for a confrontation between the two.

Gawyn: Abominations like you should be executed onthe spot, Al'Thor. Noone was there to kill you, and my mother died.

Rand: Oh,btw, you can learn to channel.

Egwene: WHAT!!!!???

Thus fulfilling the Foretelling of Rand knowing the Amyrlin's anger :P

I got fairly emotional reading this chapter as well if for somewhat different reasons than some of the ones mentioned. As I was reading, the thing that continued to run through my mind was my GOD how much would RJ have killed it with TGS and the material in these samples so far. No disrespect to BS I feel he has done admirably at an impossible job. I just wish the master had chance to finish his work and that point is driven home all the harder with how good TGS and these samples have been. RJ my man you are missed.

Rand should just do the world a favor and take his head with Justice. Galad can be first prince, Gawyn isn't fulfilling the role anyway.

Lol. Am I the only one that thinks Justice will feature somehow during the Rand-Seanchan union? Maybe as a peace offering to Tuon? I'd imagine that kind of relic from their great national grandfather would be as symbolically priceless as it is monetarily. I just wonder how anyone could vouch for its authenticity?

Archived