DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 1 "Apples First"

JenniferL

If Rand is going to see Egwene, why is he walking. why didnt he travel? Has something happened to his ability? He was struggling to embrace the one power when he went up dragonmount. Could be wrong but is strange to have him walking from the mountain.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

Rand is, at heart, a good guy and from farmer's roots. Its entirely possible that he knows what he's doing now and is trying to help farms and villages along the walk to the Tower. This also gives him time to think a bit- a twofer.

I'd kinda like to see his ability gone, though, and replaced with something new and just as awesome. The apples could be an indication of this.

he could just be walking to have a look at the devastation that is everywhere and spread the word or wants to connect again with the people

rumors would undoubtedly spread of his passing and like almen,people might want to follow him. and egwene would learn of it and ready the hall and the tower for his coming.

and also gawyn might learn the same way that rand is coming and try something stupid. rand will then tell him that his mother is alive, no doubt gawyn wont believe him.

^

Rand is, at heart, a good guy and from farmer's roots. Its entirely possible that he knows what he's doing now and is trying to help farms and villages along the walk to the Tower. This also gives him time to think a bit- a twofer.

I'd kinda like to see his ability gone, though, and replaced with something new and just as awesome. The apples could be an indication of this.

I doubt he burned himself out,that would mean that his ta'veren ability would have to become a reality marble for the final two books and that is a bit overpowered, but if he did we know what Egwene will be angry about.

Rand mentions that the breaking of the Dark One's touch is localised around him. This could indicate that Rand is in Caemlyn during chapter 8?

It would be somewhat ridiculous if only Rand walked around in permanent sunlight while the rest of the world was covered by clouds, so I do think Rand broke the control of the DO over the clouds on DM and the effect will spread from there.

Rand mentions that the breaking of the Dark One's touch is localised around him. This could indicate that Rand is in Caemlyn during chapter 8?

Problem goes back to the timeline again in that Caemlyn happened before Rand is on DM.

Based on the correlation between Mat and Verin, supposedly it is. But since an element of Mat's timing is wrong, I'd say its safer to say the timeline is wrong, than that someone miraculously made up rumours of precisely what occured at Tar Valon.

^

I doubt he burned himself out,that would mean that his ta'veren ability would have to become a reality marble for the final two books and that is a bit overpowered, but if he did we know what Egwene will be angry about.

If he'd burnt out, how would he have got down from the peak of a mountain, which is so high up he needed to create a bubble of oxygen to breathe?

He's walking because he wants to compose his thoughts, see the lay of the land, stretch his legs, rehearse what he's going to say, etc.

Based on the correlation between Mat and Verin, supposedly it is. But since an element of Mat's timing is wrong, I'd say its safer to say the timeline is wrong, than that someone miraculously made up rumours of precisely what occured at Tar Valon.

BS already confirmed at a signing that they are merely rumors.

^

If he'd burnt out, how would he have got down from the peak of a mountain, which is so high up he needed to create a bubble of oxygen to breathe?

He's walking because he wants to compose his thoughts, see the lay of the land, stretch his legs, rehearse what he's going to say, etc.

Oh if his ta'veren ability worked like a reality marble he could get down DM without channeling. In fact he could probably teleport by willing the pattern to manifest himself in some other place if he put his mind to it. But you are right Rand burning himself out like that or his ta'veren ability working like that is beyond unlikely. It's just an infinitesimal bit away from completely impossible if you ask me.

Sometimes when you fly in an airplane everywhere, you forget that there is land underneath you. You leave New York City and a few hours later, you are in Los Angeles. The fact that you crossed rivers, mountains, farmland, millions of people, trees, squirrels, etc is lost to you. For the past several books since Travelling was discovered, that is what Rand has been doing - flying from point A to point B and ignoring all the things inbetween. By having Rand walk to Tar Valon, he is showing that Rand has changed and has a new outlook on life. He no longer zips around ignoring the little people, but now he tries to help as much as he can. No longer are they tools to be used and discarded, but each person he can help is important.

Problem goes back to the timeline again in that Caemlyn happened before Rand is on DM.

From what I understand (and I may be wrong), there is a small time discrepancy that is being sorted for future editions of TGS, however this was NOT regarding Verin dying 30 days after leaving Mat, and that there was no timeline error in chapter 8. To me this suggests that Mat's chapter happens before Rand on DM.

As for the clear sky there must be a reason (maybe Elayne likes to sun herself when not waiting for a bath, so asked the windfinders to sort out Caemlyn).

In regard to the rumors, given that there was a seige around TV, reunification rumors are sure to have been put about by Elaida after she captured Egwene. And as Brandon said rumors can just be rumors.

There is also the fact that the guards might attack a channeling man who will suddenly appear in the city and the fact that he doesn't know where it would be safe to open a gate without hurting anyone.

By the way, why does everyone seem to think that Egwene is arrogant and irrational? I see her as prideful but otherwise she is the most sensible person in the tower (sure that doesn't say a lot but still...)

Main issue with Egwene is she still thinks she has to control Rand. She's far better than the other AS, but she's basically 'drank the kool aid' and in all of her musings, we keep seeing how she wants her own sort of leash around Rand because he muse be controlled by the AS. Basically two steps forward, one step back.

There is also the fact that the guards might attack a channeling man who will suddenly appear in the city and the fact that he doesn't know where it would be safe to open a gate without hurting anyone.

Rand isn't nearly as inexperienced with his gateways as Elayne and Nyneave. He has all those memories of LTT afterall. He could just open a gateway in the air above Tar Valon and get down with a bridge made of air. Or he could sound a warning before opening the gateway like I believe Sammael did when he visited Graendal and travel straight to Egwene's office. Or he could get there by entering TAR physically which he has also done a couple of times.

If anybody is wondering why the rotten apples are melting, etc:

I remember an RJ/BS quote (not sure which) that said the blight was an 'overlay' and that normal land did exist 'beneath'. So apparently Rand can now remove those 'overlays' and add a Light version that has beneficial effects. Remember, the ta'veren effect is neutral, the DO's effect is evil and the Light's effect is good.

Interesting. I wonder if destroying the DO will become a more abstract battle - Rand's Light fighting the DO's blight tied to the Light's forces fighting the Dark's forces, similar to his battle against Ishmael.

I don't think anybody knows yet how exactly that battle worked. The OP won't let people fly and if Ishmael had used one of the DO's tricks surely he could have just let Rand fall.

Of course they are rumours, and there are obvious elements that are wrong, but there also elements that clearly reflect reality--too much so for the rumours not to be based on the actual events--and Brandon did not confirm that.

So, is everyone going to hide from this little nugget they threw at us:

“I wouldn’t say that,” the stranger said, glancing over his shoulder. “There are always things of use around, if you look closely enough. You can’t stare at them too long. To learn but not be overwhelmed, that is the balance.”

There are mysteries and then there are coincidences in the text. Still toying with us after 13 books. :happy:

As to Rands stroll through Apple Valley ... Seems I recall Moses walked down off the Mountain. :wink: Lovely borrowed imagery that.

As to my erroneous blatherings about Justice: I sit corrected.

Rand is now the Lord of the Morning the Prince of Dawn in truth with, so far as we can tell, the tool kit upgrade that goes with it. I'm just anxious to hear the rest of the tale and I'm not really concerned with why these effects happen, just waiting to see what does happen.

Of course they are rumours, and there are obvious elements that are wrong, but there also elements that clearly reflect reality--too much so for the rumours not to be based on the actual events--and Brandon did not confirm that.

But Brandon did confirm that there was NO problem with Mat's timeline in ToM, (he suggested the hitch was Rand seeing in his swirling colors Mat on a horse, at a time when Mat and Thom were still always being pedestrians in the city); and he has not refuted the 30 days to Verin's death. This means unless time has 'slipped' at different speeds then Verin has not killed herself so Rand has not gone up DM.

But Brandon did confirm that there was NO problem with Mat's timeline in ToM, (he suggested the hitch was Rand seeing in his swirling colors Mat on a horse, at a time when Mat and Thom were still always being pedestrians in the city); and he has not refuted the 30 days to Verin's death. This means unless time has 'slipped' at different speeds then Verin has not killed herself so Rand has not gone up DM.

I think this debate has been done to death. The problem with the timeline is that Verin told Mat to either wait ten days and open the later or thirty days and not opening it. Since he's still deliberating those 30 days can't have passed yet and seeing how there's enough evidence that SSL happens after the events at DM, because of the breaking of the cloud cover and those rumors which are obviously based on true events.

We'll have to wait and see how BS fixes it, whether he'll have Verin change the dates for example waiting 30 instead of ten days before opening the letter or whether he moves the day Verin encounters Mat two weeks back so the ten days coincide with the day of her death or something else.

With out too much speculation or dissection I loved this chapter. We have a glimpse of what we always knew Rand could be. I was glad of the loss of the super hard Rand and to see this new Rand was awesome.

To say I am thoroughly excited about the release of this book would be an udnerstatement. It sucks I will have to wait a week after the release to get it :-[ Oh, well, this is not a perfect world.

Archived