DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 1 "Apples First"

JenniferL

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/Good/ set-up chapter. We find out quite a bit. First, Rand's not exactly Rand anymore, at least for now. That phrasing sounded like Rand still in the grips of his revelation, to a degree. We find out he's going to see Egwene (hurray!) Wonder what he's going to tell her that she's not going to like? Hrm.

I really liked the plants flowering around him. It sounds like Jordan (and now Sanderson) are really going for the whole his health is the land's, and so on. And he can shield things from the Dark One's touch now? Interesting!

I liked them bringing in that wagoneer guy from the first book. Nice touch there, I thought.

So, what do people think Egwene is going to dislike? :)

Loved it, really thought it tied together "the Dragon is one with the land" and "there can be no health in us..." parts of Prophecy with Rand's ephiphany moment. The fact that Rand's presence can combat the DO's influence, now that Rand is out of his Darth Rand mode, is especially cool. I don't know who he's going to meet, but it must be Egghead since Bunt mentioned Tar Valon so frequently. That may fit Elaida's prediction of Rand meeting with the Amyrlin and knowing her anger. Perhaps the Black Tower will be rent in fire and blood soon?

Also, I appreciated the timing. At least where I'm from, the beginning of October is typically associated with apples, pumpkins, and the unofficial start of autumn (yes, I know they're depicting a spring scene here).

Thanks Jennifer.

It's a Rand chapter and he's utterly perfectly depicted if you ask me, and I think Egwene should be ready for him. I think the Amyrlin's anger is about to be unleashed pretty soon :-) I'm so excited about the prospect of how this will play out. Musing: The sun is certainly important. How cool is his new found effect on the world? Pretty cool- and it relates to apples. I think the landwhere he is sings right now :biggrin:

How cool was the wind scene; just great. Seanchan ravished by war and every crop withering in Randland. The oppressive weather, the bandits raving across the land. Everything bleak, and then RAND, sun and the land sprouting forth food. Oh Egwene I wouldn't want to be in your shoes now. Even your anger won't save you from having to follow this man- but it will make for a cool scene (a big tantrum over not beeing top of the heap??? and I'm no Egwene basher- but this could be cool. Take her down a couple of notches).

How cool is it that Rand by his mere precense can stop the Dark one's influence over the land (if only in his close proximity)? Very cool is my answer.

It was just to short, I want more. NOW. Buhu :sad: Sits back for another months wait (probably Tor has to answer this one though with chapter two. Their release of chapter one being spoiled by the competition :happy: )

Reminded me of Arthur's ride in John Boorman's Excalibur... :) All my instincts are telling me to dislike such tidiness, dark-warp turning into light-warp, Zen Buddhist Rand, etc... but there's such a sense of glee to it all. I just realized how long, in page-count or even book-count, it's been since the WoT has had a true breath of fresh air.

The scent of apple blossoms, huh? Perfect.

I really wish I didn't have to wait another month to read the full book!

Something I posted on Theoryland, but I want to hear your thoughts:

"Almen thought— for a moment— he could see something around the man. A lightness to the air, warped and bent."

It's similarity to the Dark aura, and Rands uber-good ta'veren effect makes me wonder if one of the consequences of using the TP Brandon mentioned is that it somehow makes a ta'veren more ta'veren...

How cool was the wind scene; just great. Seanchan ravished by war and every crop withering in Randland. The oppressive weather, the bandits raving across the land. Everything bleak, and then RAND, sun and the land sprouting forth food.

As to the Seanchan, it was interesting to see the mention of the Tower of Ravens being broken in their prophecies, not to mention a "murderer" sitting on the Throne. Semirhage killed the Empress, may she live forever, so whoever assumed the throne in Seanchan either murdered other people or is taking credit for Semi's actions. I doubt we'll see resolution to this question unless Tuon gets field reports about what's happening in an info dump chapter. Ostensibly this is what RJ had planned for his outrigger novels. Moreover, wouldn't the fall of the Tower of Ravens itself be a sign of the dissolution of central authority?

I also liked the juxtaposition of the continents. The Seanchan continent, brimming with folks who are known in Randland as bringing order and justice, is in turmoil/anarchy and Randland proper is calm, though with the trepidation of awaiting the falling of the axe.

That happened as Rand was leaving, right? Stupid orbitbooks site won't load now, so I can't check. I took that to be a form of Travelling, it was very similar to how Ishy traveled in the first book. But who knows, I could be totally wrong.

Edited: It's not clear. Probably not, reading it, but I think it'd be cool if it was some weave that phased you out like a Gateway without one. :)

That happened as Rand was leaving, right? Stupid orbitbooks site won't load now, so I can't check. I took that to be a form of Travelling, it was very similar to how Ishy traveled in the first book. But who knows, I could be totally wrong.

Edited: It's not clear. Probably not, reading it, but I think it'd be cool if it was some weave that phased you out like a Gateway without one. :)

We'll have to see. I wasn't under the impression that Rand was too eager to hit the TP again, but its lure may be irresistible. At the very least he is wary of it. Now that the Taint is gone, that might be the way for the DO to bring Rand to heel. You can't count on Rand going mad/rotting to death any more, but if you can turn him into a TP addict, then you have another way to control him.

"Almen thought— for a moment— he could see something around the man. A lightness to the air, warped and bent."

It's similarity to the Dark aura, and Rands uber-good ta'veren effect makes me wonder if one of the consequences of using the TP Brandon mentioned is that it somehow makes a ta'veren more ta'veren...

Nothing very complicated.....

Rand's ta'veren powers are the same as before - remember how he scared Cadsuane with the whole ta`veren killing power of his - and after his revelation his dark aura now became a light aura.

His aura probably is a reflection of this ta`veren, but not cause. TP has nothing to do with it.

So... Is Demandred the murderer ruling in Seandar?

I'm assuming the "murderer" is who they think killed the ruling party, but it was just Semi.

Interesting that the "murderer" is openly ruling in Seandar. That makes me think it is a person, not a rumor. Perhaps a DF that Semi set up, like she offered to Suroth?

It's important to note that the strenght of a Ta'ver'en can wax and wane. It's not always the same. I think that as the Last Battle grows closer, Rand's Ta'ver'en nature is growing stronger.

But, beyond that, I think there is a fundamental difference between Ta'ver'en and the Dragon. As we understand it, Ta'ver'en are built by the Pattern to correct a flaw in the weaving. They help straighten it out. For example, the pattern could be fighting the influence of the Dark One and therefore has created Ta'ver'en to correct the weaving.

So the Dragon is that, but he's also the creator's champion. I think his powers are by his very nature as this particular thread in the pattern: the land and the Dragon are intertwined.

I quite literally wonder if Rand is going to have a sky free of clouds following him around. That would be awesome and hilarious at the same time.

Absolutely wonderful, amazing intro chapter. We've seen Rand reach maturity as a leader while descending into madness; now we have him fully matured and clear of mind. It should be freaking interesting :)

By the way, Rand still needs to go more blind as part of the prophecy...

Rand's ta'veren powers are the same as before - remember how he scared Cadsuane with the whole ta`veren killing power of his - and after his revelation his dark aura now became a light aura.

His aura probably is a reflection of this ta`veren, but not cause. TP has nothing to do with it.

Even Cadsuane thinks that that isn't how ta'veren should work. everything we'd seen until that point says that that isn't how ta'veren work. No other ta'veren has an aura. The logical cause is that the TP has reacted with his ta'veren-ness (Brandon did say that there would be consequences... I hold that this is one of them).

So... Is Demandred the murderer ruling in Seandar?

I'm assuming the "murderer" is who they think killed the ruling party, but it was just Semi.

Interesting that the "murderer" is openly ruling in Seandar. That makes me think it is a person, not a rumor. Perhaps a DF that Semi set up, like she offered to Suroth?

Does Demandred know Semi's dead?

By the way, Rand still needs to go more blind as part of the prophecy...

I'm pretty sure the blindness was metaphorical and not literal. It seemed to make that clear at the end of tGS, with the prophecy talking about the blind man standing on his grave weeping, and so on. I doubt he's going to go 'more blind' myself.

Even Cadsuane thinks that that isn't how ta'veren should work. everything we'd seen until that point says that that isn't how ta'veren work. No other ta'veren has an aura. The logical cause is that the TP has reacted with his ta'veren-ness (Brandon did say that there would be consequences... I hold that this is one of them).

I don't see the connection between ta`veren and TP. I always assumed the warping because of his ta`veren powers. Something like Rand being on an unknown path, his ta`veren was being neutral. After TP, there was dark Rand, with resolution - bad ta`veren increased; now we have Rand again resolute but on the light side, again his ta`veren strong and light warping.

Anyhow, cannot wait to read THE MEETING!! :)

I wonder if we get that in the 2nd chapter in a week or two :) Most probably the 2nd chapter ends in cliffhanger :D

Well, this was an unexpected and extremely pleasent surprise this morning. It has definitely made work much easier to deal with. On the other hand, the book at this point is essentially the True Power and all these quick glimpses (prologue, seven-striped lass, and now this) are like tiny tastes that I'm getting. So essentially I'm completely addicted but don't have the ability to get a good fix. Damn you Moridin/BS...just give me full access already. :)

Seriously though, thanks for letting the first chapter get posted, it was awesome.

I like how Rand remember Almen Bunt.

“Do I know you?” Almen asked. Something about the young man was familiar.

“Yes,” the lad said.

And wasn't in the back of Bunt's wagon when Rand had his dream with Thom juggleing and saying "Now the Dragon, the Dragon is one with the land, and land is one with the Dragon.?"

And Rand pushing back the DO's taint is so DP.

Archived