DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Seven Striped-Lass

JenniferL

It's wee things like that, that hopefully will get picked up in later editions of the book.

As I know they are all running to a tight schedule.

Also things like, from TGS, calling everybody a "creature".

I don't think RJ ever once called anyone a creature.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So because 50 damane/suldam pairs only managed to abduct 40 Aes Sedai and kill a number more you think Egwene would assume that the Seanchan would never try something like this again somewhere else and not warn others about it?

Oh and the Seanchan attack was a huge success. They captured the knowledge of Travelling. That's worth atleast a 100 damane for them.

I wasn't speaking strictly abou the loss of damane or sul'dam. They have plenty to spare. I was talking about the loss of irreplaceable raken and to'raken. I don't see a benefit of such a raid.

Why would the Seanchan only target concentration of channelers? They could use their to'raken to bombard armies and palaces just as well. A dozen damane over the palace in Caemlyn in the dead of the night could probably destroy most of it in the minutes before anyone figured out what to do.

See above. to'raken are a rare and irreplaceable resource. The Seanchan learn quickly from their mistakes. They assume that their enemies do as well. To do so would be to under estimate them, and they rarely make mistakes like that.

You have a point about aerial bombardment though.

That should be in a Suian Sanche scene!

Not in a Mat scene!

Yeah, I'm not really feeling that one either. Most Mat quotes should either revolve around farming, horses, or gambling, basically what he grew up with. I am sure in one of Mat's memories he has seen a lionfish, but in Mat's WoT world, that reference is a bit out of sorts. It didn't ruin it for me, I think it was Brandon's way of saying "hey its me, not RJ". Or the book was soooo massive it is hard for the team of editors to catch all the inconsistencies.

Woof™.

The main thing that catches my eye is this sentence;

'Caemlyn was fuller than a lionfish at a shipwreck these days, practically bursting at the seams"

That should be in a Suian Sanche scene!

Not in a Mat scene

I did a post on page 10 ..Post 200... that speaks to this a bit. Though I was pokin' fun and not concerned about it too much. This chapter for Mat DID seem to have a lot of these similes and analogies that made my American mind think of Larry The Cable Guy. I don't think I copied that one though. Ya' know .. subWoofer :wink: mentioned in passing, Mat's memories. Those really aren't something to gloss over, as they are a Big part of his personality now that he's come to terms with them. Not only that but he's a very traveled "Young Dude" now. He's been to Tear, trashed around there a good bit AND he's spent time with Siuan In Salidar. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that an analogy like that is part of his vernacular these days but it really isn't that much of a stretch or way out of character.. at least I don't think so. Didn't bother me anyway.

From the jist of the prologue, we all know it's been over 10 days since there is not mention of Mat worrying about opening the letter prior to the 10 day agreement. I'm going to guessimate and say that it's in the 2-3 week range, since Mat didn't seem to speak like he was almost at the time limit, I got the impression that it was half-way or close to half-way to total of 30 days.

I hope chapter 9 is Mat chapter too or that is just a big tease. We get the first Mat chapter and then immediately left with a cliff hanger. I might start to believe that BS is really the DO if it happens...

Mat was far better than previously when he was whining about women to Talmanes for about 4 pages straight, but he was still a bit off cue. The lionfish thinking, the over-emphasis on what he thought of his best smile, the breaking women's hearts stuff.

At the same time, having Thom call him out on how he acted about his shirt was awesome, as was the dice scene, and I liked the way he handled Teslyn and Merri (the innkeeper).

The way he handled Teslyn was classic two rivers stock: be straight and honest with me, and I'll go out of my way to help you. Be coy and manipulative, and I'll dig in my heels.

See above. to'raken are a rare and irreplaceable resource. The Seanchan learn quickly from their mistakes. They assume that their enemies do as well. To do so would be to under estimate them, and they rarely make mistakes like that.

I disagree, raken & to'raken are unimportant now that the Seanchan probably have Traveling. What raken & to'raken did before can now be done much better by traveling. They can now travel entire armies behind enemie lines or better still right into enemy fortresses.

Non channeler opposing forces would have no chance against this and even channelers would have a very hare time fighting it. Raken & to'raken were relatively easy to fight.

I disagree, raken & to'raken are unimportant now that the Seanchan probably have Traveling. What raken & to'raken did before can now be done much better by traveling. They can now travel entire armies behind enemie lines or better still right into enemy fortresses.

Non channeler opposing forces would have no chance against this and even channelers would have a very hare time fighting it. Raken & to'raken were relatively easy to fight.

Good point. However it will take a while for Elaida or any other knowing AS to give up the secret. The cowing process takes time. Until that time the raken and to'raken are their most valuable resource for quick long range travel.

While To'Raken and Raken offer limited traveling options negated by Traveling, they are still extremely vital.

They offer unbelievable scouting potential not yet matched by anything channeling related. They offer message conveyance not limited to channeling. And To'Raken can apparently transfer a good number of people a fair range.

Their importance has been lessened, absolutely, but saying that they are a commodity is going way too far.

Besides which, just wait till Mat straps a Dragon to the belly of a To'Raken....

He is Prince of the Ravens after all.

While To'Raken and Raken offer limited traveling options negated by Traveling, they are still extremely vital.

They offer unbelievable scouting potential not yet matched by anything channeling related. They offer message conveyance not limited to channeling. And To'Raken can apparently transfer a good number of people a fair range.

Their importance has been lessened, absolutely, but saying that they are a commodity is going way too far.

Besides which, just wait till Mat straps a Dragon to the belly of a To'Raken....

He is Prince of the Ravens after all.

That would be great, just like an AC-130 gunship. It'd have to be a small Dragon, though, else the recoil could run the risk of knocking the To'Raken out of control. And I'm not sure how you'd load it with any reliable speed... maybe he'd just make the next logical leap and rig up explosive charges like what was used against the Seanchan, only larger, and drop them from the beasts.

Again, BRANDON HIMSELF SAID THAT IT WAS 30 DAYS FROM WHEN VERIN GATED MAT TO CAEMLYN TO THE DAY SHE KILLED HERSELF.

give me a link to where he said that .... i have seen it asked for before but there is no link to any statement by brandon about the timeline, and you simply saying it doesnt make it true, i could say you were a goat, and unless i had actuall proof then it is not true.

as for the graendel theries out there, rand killed graendel, unless she taught someone else her VERY UNIQUE method of compulsion, which i highly doubt, graendel is out of the picture, yes there was some reference made about something graendel said appearing in this book, but that could very easily be a simple memory someone has had or even the letter mat has, but as for the person herself she is dead, balefired from existence, and not even the DO can bring her back, DO's words.

I just want say two things:

1 I thought ''Seven-Striped Lass'' was AWESOME. ... I love Mat's inner monologues and no matter who wrote this section it just felt SOOOO ''WOT'' to me.

2 I would so very deeply LOVE to see a Topic/Thread opened in this forum about: ''What Do Yall Think Mat is Planning for the Gholam's Demise?''

Fish

I'd just like to say how cool it was for Brandon to give us a Mat chapter. I'll say that I didn't feel that Mat was quite right in TGS, but that didn't change my opinion of the books or Brandon (who is doing a great job). I do feel, though, that the Mat in this chapter was much more "on", and I wonder if it was intentional on BS's part to maybe tweak the way he was writing the character and give us a taste of how he will be in TOM. In any event, I can't wait for this book, or the Prologue, or Chapters 1 and 2. I am such a nerd.

Could it be possible that Elyane has been told to ignore Mat? Maybe by a Verin letter even?

When was the last time Elayne did anything that another Aes Sedai suggested she ought to do?

Liandrin, Nynaeve, Egwene, Suian, Eliada. Need I say more?

Yes. I don't think Elayne is going to do anything just because Verin tells her to.

It's wee things like that, that hopefully will get picked up in later editions of the book.

As I know they are all running to a tight schedule.

Also things like, from TGS, calling everybody a "creature".

I don't think RJ ever once called anyone a creature.

Thank you, that was by far my biggest pet peeve with Mr. Sanderson's writing in tGS. It drove my nuts, but I had never seen anyone else corroborate it before. I could live with the "tempests" and the "bloody ashes" and Mat supposedly being off. But the constant use of "creature"...grr!

Again, BRANDON HIMSELF SAID THAT IT WAS 30 DAYS FROM WHEN VERIN GATED MAT TO CAEMLYN TO THE DAY SHE KILLED HERSELF.

give me a link to where he said that .... i have seen it asked for before but there is no link to any statement by brandon about the timeline, and you simply saying it doesnt make it true, i could say you were a goat, and unless i had actuall proof then it is not true.

It was reposted twice, once by myself and once by Terez, just three pages ago.If the bloody thing was reposted ever time someone asked for it because he/she didn't want to go and actually read the thread, this page would be even more cluttered by irrelevant repetition than it already is. Really, you should follow the advice you give on your own signature.

So, it seems likely that Seta and Bethamin will be going with Teslyn, Joline, and Edesina to the WT. Wonder how Egwene will react to seeing Seta again. :mad::angry: I can't recall if she ever met Bethamin, but she was at Falme too... I'd like to see this scene

So, it seems likely that Seta and Bethamin will be going with Teslyn, Joline, and Edesina to the WT. Wonder how Egwene will react to seeing Seta again. :mad::angry: I can't recall if she ever met Bethamin, but she was at Falme too... I'd like to see this scene

I'm with you, Sidster...also, I am interested in what the ''new'' White Tower's (and Egwene's, in particular) attitude will be toward the return of a rather prominent Red (Teslyn).

Fish

as for the graendel theries out there, rand killed graendel, unless she taught someone else her VERY UNIQUE method of compulsion, which i highly doubt, graendel is out of the picture, yes there was some reference made about something graendel said appearing in this book, but that could very easily be a simple memory someone has had or even the letter mat has, but as for the person herself she is dead, balefired from existence, and not even the DO can bring her back, DO's words.

From a TGS booktour report by Neth on Nov. 16

Q: Can you clear up the timeline issues? How do Mat, Perrin, Rand, and Egwene all match up in the timeline?

A: The Gathering Storm begins sometime in April. It ends around the end of June/beginning of July. However, Perrin advanced very little – only about 2 weeks. Mat advanced a bit more, but was still about a month behind Rand and Egwene (this gets an astrix as a MAFO), but Mat traveled to Caemlyn about 30 days before the end of the book – he emphasized 30 days and asked if I understood the significance of that – I said that I do. (Interpretation: Mat will wait in Caemlyn for the full 30 days without opening Verin’s letter – but I still think he’ll open it eventually).

That was posted a couple of pages back, I think on page 12 of this discussion. Don't berate someone for not providing a link that has been posted multiple times. Instead, calmly look back through the comments until you find the link everyone is referencing. In order to shame you for your foolish words, I have provided the link in my post. Again, it has already been provided in this discussion. Your statement that no link has been provided is a lie. I'm not really sure what the point of your goat statement was. Are you pointing out that human beings are in fact capable of lying? How insightful.

We all know that Rand is heavily based upon the Fisher King legend. The Fisher King is tied to the land so as the King is healthy/happy, the land is healthy/happy. If the king is distraught or depressed or sick, the land would reflect the loss.

Anyone think that the barren land and the clouded sky might not be the Dark One's touch but a Fisher King reflection of Rand near insane mental state in TGS? At the end, when he break out of it, the heavy clouds are broken by a bright sunbeam. In the Seven-Stripped Lass (presumably after Rand's mountaintop conversion) Mat notices the clouds have broken up and peeks of sun shining though.

Perhaps the land will begin to heal (although how much so is debatable since the LB is upon us).

Good one, Sharaman.

haloun, Random Man & johnnyrocket - play nice. Quite beside manners, you really don't want to make Terez angry, haloun, trust me :wink:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I guess we'll see whether Egwene truly grew in the last two books. Not that the former sul'dam don't deserve a punishment.

Archived