DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Seven Striped-Lass

JenniferL

With the description of Mat's coat sleeves I don't suppose he's taken to the ultra-chic fashion of wearing plaid outer garments with the sleeves cut off. But I DO have a sneaking suspicion that we'll possibly see a fish hook inserted in the flat brim of his iconic hat.

He was a little like a mouse staring at a trap with moldy cheese in it.

The tavernkeeper, Bernherd, was a greasy-haired Tairen with a mouth so small it looked like he had swallowed his lips by mistake.

He had heard gleemen, performers and bards. Thom made the entire lot seem like children with sticks, banging on pots.

The gleeman made the flute sound like an extension of his own soul.

his memories of the time were full of more holes than one of Jori Congar’s alibis

Not that he had wanted any affection from Leilwin. Kissing her would be about as fun as kissing a stoneoak’s bark.

She had a glare so practiced she could have won a staring contest with a post.

Did Brandon have Mat attend a "Lari de Kabelguy Analogy, Simile and Metaphor Seminar" at a local Roadway Inn on the way to Camelyn do you suppose?

"Anybody speak English out there? Feels like I am the United Nations and nobody's got their headphones on."

"makes me madder than a one-legged prostitute trying to do a table hop"

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In relation to this silver arrow/foxhead theory: if I remember correctly, a ter'angreal's power is dependant on the structure, appearance, base material and maybe something to do with the OP used on it. When the dream ter'angreal were copied, the ones that detracted the most from the originals were the most ineffective. Just melting the silver/whatever down and using it to make an arrow will probably not work. Perhaps, though, a silver arrow ter'angreal that achieves a similar goal could be made, with knowledge gained from studying the foxhead. I doubt Mat would give that thing up, anyway - Tuon offered to buy his hafted blade/spear thing and he refused, saying he'd paid too much to sell it or give it away.

I like the idea that the balefire might have changed the timeline slightly - one of the chapter names certainly seems to leave the impression that the Pattern is having trouble coping with the amount of damage resulting from what Rand did. Otherwise it could be mistake, or something else... I'm sure we'll find out in November.

With the timeline, I really hope they didn't mess it up that badly... I don't remeber it being 30 days between Mat meeting Verin and her dying, because if it was only a few days, that wouldn't be an issue in the timeline. Plus, VoG took place, as Egwenes epilouge shows, a few days after the end of the seige anyways, so probably the timeline is accurate, Mat is just catching up in chapter 8 to TGS

I don't see what's wrong with the timeline. Mat promised Verin to either wait for 10 days and do what the letter told him or to wait 30 days in case he never opened it. So my guess would be that this chapter happens on the tenth day, because if it happened any sooner Mat would think postpone thinking about it and if it was any later he would have already made his decision. And ten days since Verin visited Egwene sounds reasonable for rumors of the Seanchan battle to get to Caemlyn and for the clouds to break up to some extend.

In relation to this silver arrow/foxhead theory: if I remember correctly, a ter'angreal's power is dependant on the structure, appearance, base material and maybe something to do with the OP used on it. When the dream ter'angreal were copied, the ones that detracted the most from the originals were the most ineffective. Just melting the silver/whatever down and using it to make an arrow will probably not work. Perhaps, though, a silver arrow ter'angreal that achieves a similar goal could be made, with knowledge gained from studying the foxhead. I doubt Mat would give that thing up, anyway - Tuon offered to buy his hafted blade/spear thing and he refused, saying he'd paid too much to sell it or give it away.

I like the idea that the balefire might have changed the timeline slightly - one of the chapter names certainly seems to leave the impression that the Pattern is having trouble coping with the amount of damage resulting from what Rand did. Otherwise it could be mistake, or something else... I'm sure we'll find out in November.

There is a precedent for Mat giving up the foxhead. He offered it to Elayne when the girls were heading off to the Kin's farm to fix the weather. Elayne refused it, said thank you etc, but she would not wear it while Aviendha had nothing similar.

I do think Elayne (with help) making a copy or seven is the best solution, but I think if it came down to the crunch he'd offer it again.

I'm about 1/3 thru Winter's Heart in my re-read and have an idea that might explain why Mat hasn't heard from Elayne yet. Renee Harfor, the First Maid, and Master Norry are both zealous about guarding access to Elayne. Mat Cauthon is nothing to them and Thom, so far as they know, has an arrest warrant outstanding; so unless Elayne's specifically told them she's desperate for news of either Mat or Thom, Mat's message may not have been passed on.

First of all, like other posters, I have no problem believing that time is breaking down too because of the pattern falling apart. Time is already being messed with in Hinderstap and that Shiotan village. This is fantasy not nonfiction so time shifts may happen; don't forget too, in A Force of Light Rand destroyed a whole palace and its inhabitants with Cheodan Kal fueled balefire. That has to have consequences. If worlds are merging as seems likely, some of the rumours may come from different realities too.

To answer the people that think Brandon just screwed up the timelines. As good a writer as Brandon is, do you seriously think he would make that big a mistake. What about Harriet and whoever else is reviewing it, are they all as incompetent as you make brandon out to be. Complaints in TGS were Rand was too hard and Mat was off; in a book that hasn't come out yet, brandon screwed up the timeline. To those that are complaining: get over yourselves. Unfortunately RJ is gone but we were lucky enough to get someone as talented as Brandon Sanderson. Let me and all the other readers who aren't complaining read or listen in peace and go read Sword of Truth or something.

Yeah, that was a taster. Some points:

b.] The Gholam. Mat has Travelled to Caemlyn. How did the Gholam get there so fast? In the War of Power, there were six Gholam, all made by Aginor. How many of them are on the loose in Randland today? My guess: at least two. I think the Gholam Sammael sent to Ebou Dar and the one that killed Herid Fel in Cairhien are two separate Gholam. So this Gholam, in Caemlyn, could be the Gholam from Cairhien. That would be a twist. Especially if it is a "female" Gholam... Another thing: Gholam versus Gholam, wouldn't that be a cool fight?

I'd prefer to see the male gholam and the female gholam meet, fall in love, and raise lots of little gholams. Or kill each other in a sha'je duel at Qal, either way. Seriously, it would be interesting to see if a second gholam is on the loose (which it very well may be, noting the Herid Fel killing in Cairhien which I'm not sure if Sammael's gholam could have pulled off...not to mention Barthanes who was ripped to shreds, possibly by a gholam, well before Sammael's gholam was active) and even more interesting, who is pulling its strings/giving it orders. My guess would be Moridin, since a hit on Herid Fel would be a bit odd coming from the other FS. Moridin, the philosopher, may have recognized a threat in Fel's writings the other FS would have ignored and sent the hypothetical second gholam to take care of him. If the one in Caemlyn is Sammael's gholam, I doubt it Traveled with help. Any Shadowspawn construct dies after passing through a gateway, I recall, so that should include gholams. Perhaps True Power Traveling is okay? But then only Moridin could have pulled that off...

Hmm...interesting thought. Moridin/Ishy had those zomara creatures as early as tGH, serving drinks at the DF social. Perhaps another gholam was stashed in that same stasis box from whence Ishy found the zomara? It was almost certainly at Ishy's instigation that Barthanes was killed.

Oh, the joy of hearing the pitter patter of little Gholam feet. :D

Well, the Gholam in Ebou Dar hasn't met Moridin as far as we know as of yet, that's for sure - we found that out in The Gholam's one and only POV, when it felt something it hadn't felt for a very, very long time, the residue of The True Power.

I predict that in the last two books we will be seeing a lot of abominable creatures - from The Blight and beyond - we haven't seen before. When Rand & company used The Portal Stones to go to Falme in tGH, Rand heard rumours of these kind of creatures in one of his alternate lives...

First of all, like other posters, I have no problem believing that time is breaking down too because of the pattern falling apart. Time is already being messed with in Hinderstap and that Shiotan village. This is fantasy not nonfiction so time shifts may happen; don't forget too, in A Force of Light Rand destroyed a whole palace and its inhabitants with Cheodan Kal fueled balefire. That has to have consequences. If worlds are merging as seems likely, some of the rumours may come from different realities too.

To answer the people that think Brandon just screwed up the timelines. As good a writer as Brandon is, do you seriously think he would make that big a mistake. What about Harriet and whoever else is reviewing it, are they all as incompetent as you make brandon out to be. Complaints in TGS were Rand was too hard and Mat was off; in a book that hasn't come out yet, brandon screwed up the timeline. To those that are complaining: get over yourselves. Unfortunately RJ is gone but we were lucky enough to get someone as talented as Brandon Sanderson. Let me and all the other readers who aren't complaining read or listen in peace and go read Sword of Truth or something.

I haven't seen a single person explicitly say that Brandon messed up the time line. People are saying that either Brandon messed up the time line or there is something seriously wrong with the Pattern, which may be the case. Anyways, I think the time line is important and should be discussed. Verin dies about a month after she gives Mat the letter, and Mat continually mentions how much longer he has to wait before the 30 days he promised Verin are up. At the same time, news of the Seanchan assault on Tar Valon has obviously reached Caemlyn. So, something is seriously wrong. A mild disruption in the pattern in Hindersap is nothing compared to time being distorted from Tar Valon to Caemlyn. It is possible that Brandon simply misspoke when saying that Verin died a month after giving Mat the letter (can anybody find where he originally said this?), and it is also possible that there is a much more serious problem with the Pattern than I ever imagined. Anyways, if Brandon did mess up the time line a little bit, I don't see that as a testament to his incompetence. It seems reasonable to me considering the size and complexity of this series as well as the fact that he didn't write the first 12 books.

Telling others to let you "read or listen in peace" is really just your way of saying "stop talking about aspects of the story that I'm uninterested in or am uncomfortable discussing". Based upon the obsession with the time line from basically day 1, I'd say a lot of people consider it pretty important.

I find it hard to believe that Team Jordan would mess up the timeline by accident. Don't they have a guy whose job it is specifically to make sure logistical things are possible and fit time-lines and things like army-movements and how such things affect goods and supplies in the areas they're positioned in?

But, if in fact the rumors are based on the events near the end of TGS, then there is quite a discrepancy.

-Verin's gateway to Caemlyn on day 773 or 774.

-Attack on the White Tower approximately day 800.

-Rand's epiphany on approximately day 802.

-Ch 8 of ToM with clouds breaking in places (and rumors of the Seanchan attack) probably means 802 or 803 if not later.

803 = 30 days after Mat's agreement with Verin, making him free of 'Aes Sedai' or so he thinks.

I know we've got a lengthy prologue and seven chapters yet, so hopefully there will be something there to explain what's going on.

Verin dies about a month after she gives Mat the letter

From where are you getting this month? The attack of the Seanchan and Verin meeting Mat happens rather close together I think there are only two chapters in between.

I find it hard to believe that Team Jordan would mess up the timeline by accident. Don't they have a guy whose job it is specifically to make sure logistical things are possible and fit time-lines and things like army-movements and how such things affect goods and supplies in the areas they're positioned in?

But, if in fact the rumors are based on the events near the end of TGS, then there is quite a discrepancy.

-Ch 8 of ToM with clouds breaking in places (and rumors of the Seanchan attack) probably means 802 or 803 if not later.

803 = 30 days after Mat's agreement with Verin, making him free of 'Aes Sedai' or so he thinks.

I know we've got a lengthy prologue and seven chapters yet, so hopefully there will be something there to explain what's going on.

803? That makes no sense. It's probably been only ten days since he met Verin. If a month had already passed he would have thrown the letter away long since.

From where are you getting this month? The attack of the Seanchan and Verin meeting Mat happens rather close together I think there are only two chapters in between.

More than likely it's from Stephen Cooper's timeline. http://www.stevenac.net/wot/wotchron.htm

803? That makes no sense. It's probably been only ten days since he met Verin. If a month had already passed he would have thrown the letter away long since.

I agree, check the part of my post I've quoted here that I highlighted slightly.

We know that Mat is well behind Rand, the visions he gets of Mat in Camelyn (from the swirling colors) before he goes off by himself (happens . Verin herself says there was plenty of time between her seeing Mat and Egwene when she says she has been waiting to speak to her since she was imprisoned. Plus Brandon himself said there was about 30 days between Mat's last scene in TGS and the end of TGS.

Less than a handful of sentences in one single chapter and already there is huge consternation and much gnashing of teeth concerning "a huge problem with the timeline". Whose timeline are you using to make these timing assumptions? Team Jordans? I don't thin so babalooey. A fan's? Who's to say it is actually as accurate as is assumed? Though I'm certain Mr. Cooper is very dedicated and nice to boot.

As many questions about things of import and inane gibberish concerning some arcane factoid about WoT that Sanderson was assailed with over the course of that tour, it would not surprise me to find that BS misspoke about which flamin' day Verin died. If it's the case he did misspeak and she "ceased to walk about in an upright fashion"/ passed into the beyond/became the late Verin Mathwin/croaked" ten days after, then all this is much to do about nothing.

Let the story unfold THEN don yon' WoTnerd regalia and ...

"Have At You Heathen Fiend! I shall inundate the contents of your coconut with factoid based theory after unsubstantiated assumption until your cranium explodes with the overload! Thus crowning ME as champion debased debater/WoT expert texpert SUPREME!!" AHHhahahahaha... gag.. hahaa... cough... haaaaaaa

*anyone have a spare Ricola lozenge?*

It is at most ten days between Verin giving Mat the letter and this chapter. Because he promised that he will either open the letter 10 days after she leaves or will wait 30 days. Since he is still wondering whether to open the letter, it must be less than 10 days.

Here is the whole passage with their conversation from The Gathering Storm.

She slipped a small folded piece of paper out from under the picture. It was sealed with a drop of blood-red wax.

Mat took it hesitantly. "It is?"

"Instructions," Verin said. "Which you will follow on the tenth day after I leave you in Caemlyn."

He scratched his neck, frowning, then moved to break the seal.

"You aren't to open them until that day," Verin said.

"What?" Mat demanded. "But—"

"That is my cost," Verin said simply.

"Bloody woman," he said, looking back at the paper. "I'm not going to swear to something unless I know what it is."

"I doubt you will find my instructions harsh, Matrim," she noted.

Mat scowled at the seal for a moment, then stood up. "I pass on it."

She pursed her lips. "Matrim, you—"

"Call me Mat," he said, grabbing his hat off the top of a cushion. "And I said there's no deal. I'll be in Caemlyn in twenty days of marching, anyway." He pushed open the tent flaps, gesturing out. "I'm not going to have you tying strings around me, woman."

She didn't move, though she did frown. "I had forgotten how difficult you can be."

"And proud of it," Mat said.

"And if we have a compromise?" Verin asked.

"You'll tell me what is in that bloody paper?"

"No," Verin said. "Because I might not need you to go through with the contents. I hope to be able to return to you and relieve you of the letter and send you on your way. But if I cannot. ..."

"The compromise, then?" Mat said.

"You may choose not to open the letter," Verin said. "Burn it. But if you do so, you wait fifty days in Caemlyn, just in case it takes me longer to return than I had expected."

That gave him pause. Fifty days was a long time to wait. But if he could do it in Caemlyn, rather than traveling on his own. . . .

Was Elayne in the city? He'd worried about her, since her escape from Ebou Dar. If she was there, he might at least be able to get production started quickly on Aludra's dragons.

But fifty days? Waiting? Either that, or open the bloody letter and do what it said? He didn't like either option. "Twenty days," he said.

"Thirty days," she said, rising, then raised a finger to cut off his objection. "A compromise, Mat. Among Aes Sedai, I think you shall find me to be far more amenable to those than most." She held out her hand.

Thirty days. He could wait thirty days. He looked at the letter in his hands. He could resist opening it, and thirty days of waiting didn't really lose him any time. It was only a little longer than he'd take to reach Caemlyn on his own. In fact, this was a bloody bargain! He needed a few weeks to get the dragons going, and he wanted time to find out more about the Tower of Ghenjei and the snakes and foxes. Thorn couldn't complain—when it would take them two weeks to reach Caemlyn anyway.

Verin eyed him, a hint of worry on her face. He couldn't let her know how pleased he was. Let a woman know that, and she'd find some way to make you to pay her back.

"Thirty days," Mat said reluctantly, taking her hand, "but at the end of them, I can go."

"Or you can open the letter after ten days," Verin said, "and do what it says. One of the two, Matrim. I have your word?"

"You do," he said.

Again, BRANDON HIMSELF SAID THAT IT WAS 30 DAYS FROM WHEN VERIN GATED MAT TO CAEMLYN TO THE DAY SHE KILLED HERSELF.

I don't know if anyone read my predictions in the TOM prediction page, but my specific prediction was that Elayne would figure out a way to duplicate the foxhead and shape it into an arrow. The foxhead, in its current state, is most likely not capable of killing the gholam-- only of burning the gholam's flesh superficially. The foxhead most likely needs to shaped into something sharp that can penetrate the gholam's skin for a killing blow.

I like it. They've still got Birgitte's silver arrow, I think...

Again, BRANDON HIMSELF SAID THAT IT WAS 30 DAYS FROM WHEN VERIN GATED MAT TO CAEMLYN TO THE DAY SHE KILLED HERSELF.

I don't know if anyone read my predictions in the TOM prediction page, but my specific prediction was that Elayne would figure out a way to duplicate the foxhead and shape it into an arrow. The foxhead, in its current state, is most likely not capable of killing the gholam-- only of burning the gholam's flesh superficially. The foxhead most likely needs to shaped into something sharp that can penetrate the gholam's skin for a killing blow.

That would be neat, but they used it to make Moggy's a'dam :(

And he said that Sulin was with Rand when he balefired Graendal. Brandon mispoke. It happens. And anyway I am certain that it is not a mistake, even if it is 30 days. They are way too clever to make such mistake.

And he said that Sulin was with Rand when he balefired Graendal. Brandon mispoke. It happens. And anyway I am certain that it is not a mistake, even if it is 30 days. They are way too clever to make such mistake.

I'm sure its not a mistake (well fairly), and I'm also sure from Mat's POV in chapter 8 that it has been less than 10 days, he still hasn't been waiting too long and he mentions that it is not nearly expired.

However, it has been worked out by a number of very dedicated fans that there is 30 days till Verin killed herself then at least a couple more till Egwene has control of the tower and notices the sun.

This means either the clear sky Mat see's means that time is slipping and going at different rates in different places, the influence of permanent cloud cover is not as widespread as first thought (this is furthest East POV we have had in since KoD), Somebody is keeping the sky in Camleyn clear (e.g. Windfinders), BS made a mistake when he typed clear and meant to put cloudy. Take your pick though most people believe time is slipping.

Edit: meant to say South East, and I'm not 100% on where Rand met up with Hurin (also I'm not ruling out that there is a POV somewhere that I missed), actually just remembered Rand was in Tear so scrap my whole point about furthest South East.

I serioulsy doubt time is slipping... It's kinda hard to speculate about the timeline until the book is out, because we have chapter 8 without the context of the prolouge and first 7 chapters... it could be a error by Brandon, I find it hard to believe they'd have gotten the timeline that off, it's more likely Brandon mispoke than they actually are that off. at least I hope so, but again, hard to tell until you've read the full book.

I can't even remember if they still have that. I need to get back to my re-read...the hunt distracted me. *shakes fist at Brandon*

To those who mentioned Setalle Anan...it will be nice to see her work with Elayne if she can. We haven't for sure seen anyone who has been burned out and then Healed, but maybe it will happen. Would have to be soon.

Also, as to the time going weird hypothesis....spoilers for the DragonCon reading of the Galad POV:

There might possibly be some support for that in the strange swamp that Galad was lost in with his 7,000. Also, it seems odd that Tylee's scouts spotted Galad's 7,000...after they got free of Asunawa and his 10,000? Before they met up? Timelines confuse me, but this seems odd. There was definitely some strange stuff going down in that swamp, quite aside from dead mules.

In any case, we can all read it Monday night, or Tuesday if you're across the pond or down under. Or more patient than me.

I can't even remember if they still have that. I need to get back to my re-read...the hunt distracted me. *shakes fist at Brandon*

LoC prologue, I think said that they used the arrow to make the a'dam for moggy, as Elayne had left and still has not met back up in person with Egwene since Moggy escaped if anyone has the a'dam I would assume Egwene.

The medallion is only a means of protection in the hands of someone who is skilled enough to use it.

What is your point? Mat has two choices: leave the medallion with her so that she has a chance in hell, or do nothing. It's clear from this chapter that he will not choose the latter. He might give it to Birgitte, even, but he will leave it for the purpose of protecting Elayne.

it does not matter if he gives the medallion to Elayne or not

It probably matters a great deal, actually.

Oh right, when Elayne turns into a superninja who can easily spank the naughty Gholam into submission.

Mat would lose his medallion, just when he has found out that the forsaken have started to take an interest in seeing him dead.

I think you sell Mat short, here. He has often shown in the past that he is willing to risk his own hide to save one of those girls from danger, and he knows that gholam wants Elayne dead. Warning her about the gholam wouldn't help in the slightest. There is only one thing that can hurt it.

Willing to risk his life when there is a chance at success is one thing. Doing it when there is zero chance of success, that is just idiotic. And, Mat would not only risk his own life by giving Elayne the medallion, he would put her at greater risk, because she might very well try to put up a fight instead of opening a gateway and getting the hell out of there.

Keep in mind that RJ tried to keep things fairly realistic. can you honestly say that you really believe that someone like Elayne, a little girl with no training in hand-to hand combat, with no experience in fighting without using OP could destroy a Gholam, a creature stronger, faster and a lot harder to kill than any normal man?

Try to ignore your little pet theory about gawyn killing rand, and look at this again. Might be a revelation for you ;)

The Problem Majsju is that Mat is willing to rush into a burning building to save people, the Gholam isn't after him it's after Elyane. He doesn't need the Medallion she does, I also think that tFoH showed us that the Forsaken would be able to work around the Medallion since Mat was wearing it when he was blasted by lighting and killed. Please pay attention to that last sentence Terez and why it's ludicrus for Rand to lose.

It is in Mat's character to take risks especially ones that risk his own skin, none of the Forsaken know that he is going to ToG soon, they are gunning for him but it seems Elayne is the higher priority.

The Madallion will do little good against Channlers that can bring down lighting, fling stone and earth. Also as Terez pointed out Brigitte can wield the Madallion. It may even be possible for Elayne to copy the Madallion as well.

Mat has became the gholum's primary target. It stayed there and hunted him for months after Elayne left Ebou Dar, and killing Tylin the night he fled. The gholam followed Vana Luca's travelling circus because Mat was in it. If the gholam was primarily focused upon Elayne, he would have followed her to Camelyn when she left Ebou Dar with the bowl of the winds while Mat was still in Ebou Dar. Mat's not going to give up the medallion, period. The finns gave it to him, he earned it, paid for it with a rope around his neck. The only way the medallion comes off his neck is when he's swinging it at the gholum. He might let Elayne study it though.

I've just had a thought, knowing that Verin was BA whilst in her own special way trying to help the forces of light, she may know of the gholam and its target, and that may be mentioned in the letter?? If so does it say how to kill it/who its after (Elayne, who is hidden from it or someone else) if its not the same one after Mat before.

If he did and didn't misremember things, well then I guess the timeline is messed up because we know that the Seven Striped Lass has to have happened before the thirty days Verin told Mat to wait for in case of not opening the letter were up.

"All he had to do was wait a few weeks...".
Furthermore we also from the breaking of the cloud cover over Caemlyn that it's all but certain to have happened after VoG.
The paving stones were damp from a recent shower, though those clouds had passed by and—remarkably—left the sky open to the air.

In conclusion I have to say that I think it's far more likely that the 30 days Brandon spoke of are a mistake, especially since I don't know the context of where and when it happened, than that there is a temporal shift in Randland which causes a twenty day discrepancy or that Brandon and Harriet both overlook something so obvious that people here immediately notice it.

I've just had a thought, knowing that Verin was BA whilst in her own special way trying to help the forces of light, she may know of the gholam and its target, and that may be mentioned in the letter?? If so does it say how to kill it/who its after (Elayne, who is hidden from it or someone else) if its not the same one after Mat before.

Only Birgitte and the Forsaken seem to know anything about the gholam, unless:

1) Some AS that was targeted by one survived during the period that gholam were used

2) They wrote down their experiences

3) Verin found the document

4) Verin could read the document

OR Verin spied on the Forsaken at some point in time...

And I doubt that BS made a mistake - I'd imagine Harriet/Maria went over that chapter especially carefully since it's the first real publicly available ToM material.

Archived