DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Seven Striped-Lass

JenniferL

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all long time lurker first time poster. Maybe I'm thick but who is putting pictures of Mat around Caemlyn?

Was thinking the same thing. Obviously DF want him dead as per Verin's warning but that means that a lot of people in Caemlyn are DF! Kind of makes me shiver to think that DF start to come out into open and indeed there might be a lot more of them than we ever thought!

Hey all long time lurker first time poster. Maybe I'm thick but who is putting pictures of Mat around Caemlyn?

Good question.

Verin was the one sending out pictures in TGS, could her pictures have made it all the way to Caemlyn? I doubt it.

I am willing to bet it is more than just a few random darkfriends too, maybe the Gholam?

@NetSlider- in a way, yes. I have been on Tor. for a bit now and it is the way my dogs give their input. I'm here, they are here too ;)

Mat's mug all around town- well, I have been thinking of that, and it occurs to me, has Elayne seen it? Mat does question why Elayne hasn't sent for him, after all, he saved her life at least twice... Then the thought- who would want Mat dead? Well I am not completely sure on this, but for awhile there, before Tuon got the throne back or whatever, wasn't Mat on a wanted list... maybe it spiraled out of control. Or... that baddy back in Ebou Dar that spots Mat, maybe he put a price on Mat's head? Just spit ballin' at this point.

Woof™.

Wasn't killing Elayne (and Nynaeve) the Gholam's original orders? I was under the impression that it was following Mat under its own volition due to the fact that Mat is the only person that has ever been able to harm it. This leads me to believe that the Gholam will indeed go after Elayne.

Yes part of the gholam's original orders were to kill Elayne, and when he saw Mat in the Bowl of the Winds rescue, the gholam told Mat that "he wants you dead almost as bad as he wants her dead." I think the gholam's original orders were to kill all the wonderkids, Mat, Elayne, Nynaeave, Egwene, and Perrin, with Elayne being the most important. It truly does not make sense how the gholam got to Camelyn around the same time as Mat, at last mention, he was a couple of days behind Vana Luca's traveling circus. Maybe one of the foresaken opened a travelling gate to transport the gholam to Camelyn.

I think that if Elayne were being held by the dark forces, they would just kill her. The prophesies say that the crown of Andor is key to winning the last battle for the Light, if they kill her, there goes that chance. No point in holding her ransom or giving her any kind of compulsion that she could be rescued from. Just kill her and be done with her would be the best course for the Darkfriends.

Elayne is the Queen of Andor. She's gotta be pretty busy doing the normal everyday type stuff Queens normally do, in addition tounifying her kingdom and taking baths. Her plan is to probably make Mat stew for a few days before she agrees to see him. I do think that's extremely rude of her though seeing how Mat saved her from the Black Ajah in the Stone of Tear, saved her from the gholum in Ebou Dar, and bargained the Sea Folk into helping her use the Bowl of Winds. She owes Mat big time, and should have seen him immediately. Maybe she's find the time for him when he goes up to the first Queen's Guard he can find and says "Tell your Queen that the gholam is in town."

I like the idea of Elayne using the foxhead medallion to make weapons to kill the gholam. Mat knows how much she wanted to study it, maybe he'll let her study it, as long as it stays attached to the leather cord around his neck. Would be pretty cool if Elayne could study it, then make some arrows for Bridgette's bow to kill the gholum.

And as far as Gawyn killing Rand, not gonna happen.

And as far as Moraine killing Rand, not gonna happen.

Many people seem to have missed one thing - the foxhead medallion does in no way protect against the gholam. Mat could use it to hurt the gholam because he is wicked fast, and one of the best fighters in the world. Seriously, can you see Elayne coming even close to hitting the gholam if she starts flailing around with the medallion? Even Birgitte would probably be in serious trouble, as she has pointed out that she is an archer, and whenever she has tried melee combat she has gotten herself killed.

What's the bets Mat gets pissed off waiting and climbs

the garden wall again. :)

and the prophecy bit... Wasn't it debated before as to whether that actually referred to the Trakand line at all? I always thought Elaida had that Foretelling back in the day, and that she was too thick to realise it could've referred to Tigraine. And of course the best secret ever, the second son she bore...

@Majsju- great clarification there. It dies seem more likely that he'd allow her study it, then she links with someone to copy it. And there is the ter'angreal Avi id'd, it is certainly possible that if the Shadow can't see thru it, then slithery Shadow construct creatures might be similarly afflicted. Suppose it depends how it's written- she's felt no peril since Min foolishly shared her viewing, and God know Elayne could do with a little peril.

Yes, yes, in the Monty Python sense as well, why not. ;)

Many people seem to have missed one thing - the foxhead medallion does in no way protect against the gholam. Mat could use it to hurt the gholam because he is wicked fast, and one of the best fighters in the world. Seriously, can you see Elayne coming even close to hitting the gholam if she starts flailing around with the medallion? Even Birgitte would probably be in serious trouble, as she has pointed out that she is an archer, and whenever she has tried melee combat she has gotten herself killed.

The important thing is that the medallion is the ONLY thing that can hurt the gholam. If Mat has to leave her in Caemlyn with the gholam, then he'll want to give her some means of protection. I am thinking that Aviendha will be the one that ends up killing it; maybe he will leave it with her.

Elayne's hand to hand skills are a little suspect. On the other hand, assuming she can channel she can whirl around the medallion far away from her using the power to touch the string.

Of all the non-ta'veren without a specialized ter'angreal who is not a Forsaken*, Elayne is one of the few who might have a chance against this gholam. An important consideration is that she knows what he looks like now and she knows a lot of his tricks. Second she has seen ways to defeat Mat's medallion; therefore she is more liable to use indirect weaves such as blocking and hitting him with heavy furniture. Third, she is quite smart. Her quick thinking isn't as strong as a trained fighter, but her tactical skills are above average. Fourth she is close enough to being a ta'veren that the pattern might protect her almost as much as it 'protects' Mat or Rand or Perrin.

All indications seem to lead to Mat killing this gholam. But it would be great if Elayne could save Mat at least once. (I would love to see Mat give her a kiss on the cheek for it). Elayne did say to Mat that he has to let her save him in return. Maybe that was foreshadowing.

* I realize that is a lot of exceptions. Perrin, Mat, and Rand would be protected by the pattern. Nynaeve has her bracelet and will be nearly as protected by the pattern. Cadsuane has her specialized ter'angreal and a cunning that might keep her alive. The Forsaken, themselves, know a lot of weaves and might recognize the gholam on sight. Further it was built so that the Forsaken can control them. That still leaves a lot of people who would be toast.

I think there's a "subwoofer" on cbc.ca.... I feel like i've seen that 'woofTM' before...

is that you subwoofer? Fellow canadian?

Could very well be. Yes I am proudly Canadian and I have had a few things to say on CBC... I am on a few sites, wikis, and so on, and if I can, I leave my paw prints on all of them.

Woof™.

What if Mat used the medallion to make, I dunno, say... a soup? And what if he poured said soup onto the gholam? Maybe Mat carries the soup in a flask and does spit-takes when the baddies show up? Maybe the gholam melts. Maybe the gholam doesn't like Mat's cooking. These ideas have possibilities :)

Woof™.

In Winter Heart, Chapter 26 re-read, Elayne is more annoyed that everyone in the Palace knows she is pregnant and is wildly speculating on the identity of the father...

So if rumors about the battle in the White Tower is abound, surely the unwed Queen's pregnancy should still be quite a buzz?

Third, she is quite smart. Her quick thinking isn't as strong as a trained fighter, but her tactical skills are above average.

Smart? Which Elayne are you talking about here? Given her track record, she'll say something along these lines if Mat is ever able to see her and warn her about the gholam:

"Oh, no worries. I can't be touched until after I have my kids, so I won't need your medallion."

The important thing is that the medallion is the ONLY thing that can hurt the gholam. If Mat has to leave her in Caemlyn with the gholam, then he'll want to give her some means of protection. I am thinking that Aviendha will be the one that ends up killing it; maybe he will leave it with her.

The medallion is only a means of protection in the hands of someone who is skilled enough to use it. Elayne would at best delay her death a few seconds if she pulled out the medallion. Unless I missed some chapter where Elayne all of a sudden became some superninja...

And giving it to Avi? Who is quite busy in Rhuidean, and once she is done there, she is supposed to get back to the Wise Ones currently chilling in Tear...

Third, she is quite smart. Her quick thinking isn't as strong as a trained fighter, but her tactical skills are above average.

Smart? Which Elayne are you talking about here? Given her track record, she'll say something along these lines if Mat is ever able to see her and warn her about the gholam:

"Oh, no worries. I can't be touched until after I have my kids, so I won't need your medallion."

Heh :D Reminds me of something I saw in Ace Ventura-

The medallion is only a means of protection in the hands of someone who is skilled enough to use it. Elayne would at best delay her death a few seconds if she pulled out the medallion. Unless I missed some chapter where Elayne all of a sudden became some superninja...

And giving it to Avi? Who is quite busy in Rhuidean, and once she is done there, she is supposed to get back to the Wise Ones currently chilling in Tear...

I have to agree, Mat has some of the fastest hands in the world, and not to mention he's the luckiest guy in the world most likely. Elayne has neither one of those attributes. If she takes the medallion she is going to have to study and copy it to make some sort of weapon or protection but the medallion itself will not serve enough to stop the gholam who is also lightning fast.

Avi would most likely be fast enough since she was a Maiden but she's a little preoccupied in Rhuidean right now and some WO business after she is finished.

This may be a little crazy but what if there is another Gholam. There were 7 or so originally (4 male and 3 female) I think. What if one of the things that Graendal found took from Illian, was another gholam that Sammel found in a stasis box or maybe she found one on her own. That would explain the apparent quick arrival of the gholam and may be how Graendal carries out Moridin's orders. The gholam would follow what ever orders it was given last. Even if the giver died. How would Mat deal with a female gholam. That would take him by complete surprise and his weakness with women may do him in.

On a side note. If Mat's Meddalion was melted down it would no longer work. Ter'angreal are not immune from damage or breakage. Remember the broken access key in Tanchico that Egwene picked up in T'A'R. The wield fluxuations of the OP that flowed in her. Not to mention the broken ones all aroun the square in Rhuidien. I feel that maybe Mat will allow her to study it in exchange for her allowing him to take over all of the foundries in Andor, for his "mad" idea about metal dragons.

Archived