DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Seven Striped-Lass

JenniferL

btw who else thinks mat has to decide between moirain and verin ?

Likely either Moiraine and Verin, or Moiraine and Elayne. I am thinking it's more likely to be the latter, because of the gholam.

I've always thought that it would be Verin and Moiraine. Mat is trying to decide how long to wait or to open the letter before going and rescuing Moiraine.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Likely either Moiraine and Verin, or Moiraine and Elayne. I am thinking it's more likely to be the latter, because of the gholam.

I've always thought that it would be Verin and Moiraine. Mat is trying to decide how long to wait or to open the letter before going and rescuing Moiraine.

The Moirane / Elayne idea has some merit, though. When tGS was out there was some discussion about weighin Moirane vs. Verin's letter, and that maybe Mat had to loose an eye to make the balance even on the scale. We were very focused on that. Now that Mat is near Elayne and the smell of blood in Mat's tent, then we can also assume that there'll be something to make Mat read Verin's letter.

I think it's Moraine and Lanfear. I know she's Cyndane, but she's not quite at the same time. And Lanfear was an AS. We see all of the Forsaken thinking of the "so-called" Aes Sedai of this time as though they were the only real AS.

Lanfear almost spat of disgust when Mat asked her if she was AS. the forsaken are no more AS than the "younger" ones are in their eyes.

Anyway, Cyndane is out of the ToG and doesn't seem to be closing in on Elayne or Mat.

Ok of possibility's this this is unlikely to happen but fun if it did. { Mat walks into his tent to see Lopin cut in half and on the floor in his own blood but ignores it all for who is sitting on his bed but Toun with her new damane Suffa aka Elaida attached to her by leash sitting by her feet in the blood. }

Ok of possibility's this this is unlikely to happen but fun if it did. { Mat walks into his tent to see Lopin cut in half and on the floor in his own blood but ignores it all for who is sitting on his bed but Toun with her new damane Suffa aka Elaida attached to her by leash sitting by her feet in the blood. }

hmm, unless Lopin tried to kill Elaida it couldn't happen.

Elaida is bound by the oaths so she could only strike out in defense of herself (or her warder, but she has no warder)

That's one reason why AS make horrible damane.

They remind me of my friend George.

George was born with a tail and He went to see a Surgeon to get it removed because he felt It was Not helping him get a Wife.

He knew the Surgical Procedure would be expensive so he worked Long Hours to save up the money.

After the first Consultation with the surgeon he was told that the reason he had a tail was because he was a Monkey and Without his tail he would not be able to hang off the Tree branches.

So George kept his tail but still hasn't a Wife!

see the similarities?

Was reading an interview that made me a bit nervous concerning Mat's character in ToM.

John Ottinger: Let’s address the elephant in the room first. Will Mat’s character and storyline play a larger role in Towers of Midnight (TOM)? Have you addressed reviewer’s concerns about your interpretation of Mat Cauthon?

Brandon Sanderson: Mat will play a much larger role. For one thing, a lot of the material that Robert Jordan left for Mat takes place in this book rather than in THE GATHERING STORM. But I did take a long look at Mat. Whether I’ve addressed readers’ concerns about him is something I will leave up to the readers to decide. I’ve posted the book’s first chapter from Mat’s point of view on my website. Read that chapter and decide for yourself.

Wow if BS is holding up the "TSSL" as the way in which he addressed concerns about Mat we could be in serious trouble. I'm trying very hard to enjoy the differences in styles and voices for what they are but we are talking about Matrim "bloody" Cauthon damn it!

I Agree with this. but... who would be the right choice?

oh wait obvious answer. MORAINE.

Moirane: Mat thank the light youv rescued me!! thom dearest i love you!

Mat: oh wait we gotta go really sorry... sorry.

Moirane: well can i come with you??

mat: no... no you cant. hey but heres oliver to keep you company

Fanbase: CRUCIFY SANDERSON CRUCIFY SANDERSON

I somehow dont see that happening.

Also, I think the Gholam is too obvious for the source of the blood smell. Tomas maybe, wounded by those hunting him after Verin's betrayal, here to tell Mat that Verin is dead and prompt him to open the letter (I'm referring to my suggestion that Verin saying Tomas spent his last hour with family was a lie based on the fact that Tomas wasn't Aes Sedai, or bound by Oaths, and thus had no need to die when Verin did).

After all the letter was a contingency if she died, perhaps seeing how stubborn Mat was being about it, she left Tomas with instructions to prompt him should she die in the Tower.

Tomas became a DF at the same time Verin did. He is covered by the same Oaths to the DO as all other DF's. Namely to keep the Dark's secrets until "the last hour of his life."

According to Verin:

"So that is it?" Egwene asked, chilled. "What of Tomas?"

"We made our farewells. He is spending his last hour with family."

Note the contemporaneous "is" not "will be". Tomas died at approximately the same time Verin did. Had he not, being a Warder, even if a Dark one, he would have gone berserk with grief when she died.

The Problem Majsju is that Mat is willing to rush into a burning building to save people, the Gholam isn't after him it's after Elyane. He doesn't need the Medallion she does, I also think that tFoH showed us that the Forsaken would be able to work around the Medallion since Mat was wearing it when he was blasted by lighting and killed. Please pay attention to that last sentence Terez and why it's ludicrus for Rand to lose.

It is in Mat's character to take risks especially ones that risk his own skin, none of the Forsaken know that he is going to ToG soon, they are gunning for him but it seems Elayne is the higher priority.

The Madallion will do little good against Channlers that can bring down lighting, fling stone and earth. Also as Terez pointed out Brigitte can wield the Madallion. It may even be possible for Elayne to copy the Madallion as well.

The medallion only works against Saidar (read the sequence with the Finn's carefully, he asks for protection from saidar and Aes Sedai), which was why Rahvin was able to blast him (though i also agree that a lightning bolt 2 feet away wouldn't be stopped by the medallion, yet would still kill). And yes, both of these are reasons why Galad would never be able to kill Rand normally (maybe when Rand is incapacitated).

The medallion only works against Saidar (read the sequence with the Finn's carefully, he asks for protection from saidar and Aes Sedai), which was why Rahvin was able to blast him (though i also agree that a lightning bolt 2 feet away wouldn't be stopped by the medallion, yet would still kill). And yes, both of these are reasons why Galad would never be able to kill Rand normally (maybe when Rand is incapacitated).

He said he wanted to be free of Aes Sedai - in past ages, Aes Sedai were both men and women. The medallion does in fact offer protection against Saidin, as evidenced at one point in Salidar when Halima (Aran'gar) channels flows of Saidin at Mat. He feels the medallion cool and spins around, noting the stunned expression on her face (obviously he doesn't understand that she channeled Saidin being a male forsaken resurrected into a female body, as no one in the camp did at the time).

He said he wanted to be free of Aes Sedai - in past ages, Aes Sedai were both men and women. The medallion does in fact offer protection against Saidin, as evidenced at one point in Salidar when Halima (Aran'gar) channels flows of Saidin at Mat. He feels the medallion cool and spins around, noting the stunned expression on her face (obviously he doesn't understand that she channeled Saidin being a male forsaken resurrected into a female body, as no one in the camp did at the time).

Correct. Plus Mat didn't specify saidar - he said he wanted to be free from Aes Sedai and the One Power:

“Burn your souls! You are as bad as Aes Sedai. Well, I want a way to be free of Aes Sedai and the Power, and I want to be away from you and back to Rhuidean, if you will not answer me. Open up a door, and let me - ”

The One Power includes both saidin and saidar, and the Eelfinn haven't seen people since Rhuidean was dome-warded (a couple hundred years after the Breaking, as shown in the Rhuidean memories), which means they probably think of Aes Sedai as being male or female still. Thus, to fulfill the bargain, a saidar-specific ter'angreal would be insufficient.

Indeed. Halima channeled and it didn't work. The reason it didn't work with Ravhin is Ravhin did an indirect effect, perhaps because it was easier to do it from a distance. Instead of simply forming lightning and blowing them up, he pulled it down from prepared clouds so he could do tons of bolts from a distance.

The amulet works on both Saidar and Saidin.

Archived