DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Seven Striped-Lass

JenniferL

Methinks Mat has walked in on some class of carnage. Have to wonder, if the gholam's been, and fed, would you actually be able to smell blood around the place? The gholam doesn't generally fling the stuff around.

My money's on one of these legion DFs with Mat's mug on a scrap of paper, having butchered one of the Band. Or maybe more than one. Hmmm, maybe Aiel DFs? Getting to Mat's tent would've required no small amount of sneaky stealth.

And to be fair, Brandon has really handed a boon to the anti-Elayne camp with this one. How ignorant can she be? And it really doesn't seem likely that Halwin Norry is that duplicitous. Unless, he's not wanting to interrupt all the bathing. But then, one would assume he'd inform Birgitte. Who would be thrilled to see Mat. And his great big friendly army. Most peculiar.

Very happy with it, on the whole. Bring on the rest!!!

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still not sure if I buy your theory Terez...

It's not for sale. ;) Feel free to bet against it, though...funnily enough, I offer that all the time, and no one has taken me up on it yet.

Oh I'll take that bet against Terez. I figured I made that a obvious already, though the part I am betting against specifically is Gawyn actually killing Rand.

Methinks Mat has walked in on some class of carnage. Have to wonder, if the gholam's been, and fed, would you actually be able to smell blood around the place? The gholam doesn't generally fling the stuff around.

Are we sure about this? We know the Gholam fed on the other guy at the Fielding Green or whatever, perhaps he wasn't there to eat. Perhaps it is a statement ala the Godfather, just replace a horse with Lopin. Or perhaps, more likely I think, the Gholam was laying in wait and Lopin (or someone else) surprised it and was killed for it.

He ripped Nalesean's throat out in Ebou Dar and ripped Tylin's head off, so we know it can kill in messy, bloody ways. I don't think an abundance of splattered blood really rules out the Gholam. Knowing WoT though perhaps this is exactly what I am supposed to think and it is of course incorrect...

Are we sure about this? We know the Gholam fed on the other guy at the Fielding Green or whatever, perhaps he wasn't there to eat. Perhaps it is a statement ala the Godfather, just replace a horse with Lopin. Or perhaps, more likely I think, the Gholam was laying in wait and Lopin (or someone else) surprised it and was killed for it.

He ripped Nalesean's throat out in Ebou Dar and ripped Tylin's head off, so we know it can kill in messy, bloody ways. I don't think an abundance of splattered blood really rules out the Gholam. Knowing WoT though perhaps this is exactly what I am supposed to think and it is of course incorrect...

Well tis true I could be miles out, but I do think I remember it somewhere that the gholam left not a drop. I'm sure someone will correct me!

It's not for sale. ;) Feel free to bet against it, though...funnily enough, I offer that all the time, and no one has taken me up on it yet.

Oh I'll take that bet against Terez. I figured I made that a obvious already, though the part I am betting against specifically is Gawyn actually killing Rand.

No, this is about Alivia, the part everyone was supposedly itching to bet against when I posted the theory, which has since evolved to the point that I believe Rand will win (with one arm tied behind his...oh wait) and Gawyn will be the one to die, and then Moiraine will balefire Rand and Gawyn comes back. I still think Gawyn will pretty much mortally wound Rand when they fight, but that it will mostly be related to the wounds in Rand's side. Moiraine will finish the job. You can bet against that if you like. :)

@Aubrey re: Black sisters with the Band - Teslyn and Joline were the only AS with the Band, no?

Can't see it, myself...

Egwene didn't mention them, did she? Not that lack of evidence is evidence of lack, or anything.

OTOH, it would go some way to explaining Joline's pushiness in trying to snare herself a ta'veren Warder. Major thorn in Rand's side that would've been.

Maybe. Hmmm...

No, this is about Alivia, the part everyone was supposedly itching to bet against when I posted the theory, which has since evolved to the point that I believe Rand will win (with one arm tied behind his...oh wait) and Gawyn will be the one to die, and then Moiraine will balefire Rand and Gawyn comes back. I still think Gawyn will pretty much mortally wound Rand when they fight, but that it will mostly be related to the wounds in Rand's side. Moiraine will finish the job. You can bet against that if you like. :)

Er... what/where is this theory?

This beginning Mat chapter has me wondering at his timeline alongside the timeline in TGS. Going by the timeline Verin makes a gateway for Mat and the Band around 773. The end of TGS timeline finishes with Rand and Egwene's storylines finishing at least 2 weeks ahead of everyone else at around 800. Yet Mat's first scene in Caemlyn and rumors are already spreading of the events that ended TGS at the White Tower. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for moving forward in the storyline and not starting too far back in TOM, but it seems TOM starts almost right where TGS left off.

As far as the scene itself, it felt like the voice RJ had for Mat's PoV's was back, whether RJ or BWS wrote this scene can't tell. Mat's character arc felt really good in this scene with his usual thinking one thing while doing or having the exact opposite effect. Everytime Mat noticed a girl and took note of her virtues and reminded himself that he was only doing it for his friends was 100% Mat. Mat may think he's being totally conservative around woman with his charm and smiles now that he's married doesn't make it true. And every interaction with females in the taverns you can feel the author playing his joke the whole time laughing along with the readers.

I think we're being misled about Elayne though. We've seen in her thoughts that she prays for Thom and Mat's safe return everyday so something is going on that we're not aware of yet. Maybe it's as simple as she fears Mat and Thom knowing who the true father of her twins is, but that's a stupid reason since they can be trusted. She's for sure in a bucketload of danger from many angles. Also loved the Teslyn interaction at the end. In one sentence at the end of the chapter Mat spun Teslyn's wheels around completely lol.

This beginning Mat chapter has me wondering at his timeline alongside the timeline in TGS. Going by the timeline Verin makes a gateway for Mat and the Band around 773. The end of TGS timeline finishes with Rand and Egwene's storylines finishing at least 2 weeks ahead of everyone else at around 800. Yet Mat's first scene in Caemlyn and rumors are already spreading of the events that ended TGS at the White Tower. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for moving forward in the storyline and not starting too far back in TOM, but it seems TOM starts almost right where TGS left off.

As far as the scene itself, it felt like the voice RJ had for Mat's PoV's was back, whether RJ or BWS wrote this scene can't tell. Mat's character arc felt really good in this scene with his usual thinking one thing while doing or having the exact opposite effect. Everytime Mat noticed a girl and took note of her virtues and reminded himself that he was only doing it for his friends was 100% Mat. Mat may think he's being totally conservative around woman with his charm and smiles now that he's married doesn't make it true. And every interaction with females in the taverns you can feel the author playing his joke the whole time laughing along with the readers.

I think we're being misled about Elayne though. We've seen in her thoughts that she prays for Thom and Mat's safe return everyday so something is going on that we're not aware of yet. Maybe it's as simple as she fears Mat and Thom knowing who the true father of her twins is, but that's a stupid reason since they can be trusted. She's for sure in a bucketload of danger from many angles. Also loved the Teslyn interaction at the end. In one sentence at the end of the chapter Mat spun Teslyn's wheels around completely lol.

I agree with pretty much everything here. The timeline is messed up. It doesn't bother me a lot though, and maybe we'll get an explanation that makes it make sense.

I thought Mat was perfect. I loved it. I think there is something up with Elayne as well. Even if she doesn't want it known that she associates with the Band or Mat, she could have sent a messenger without revealing too much. She did send the clerk though, so I don't know.

Oh it would be so funny if it was something like that, making us want it even more and it turns out to be no big deal!

First off, that would NOT be funny. :-)

Also, let's remember, Harriet names the chapters. Are we even sure this is a chapter? Somebody may have mentioned (or I could be spreading a vicious untrue rumor) that it is more of an interlude between TGS and ToM than an actual chapter from the book. I doubt it, but I thought I saw someone mention that on the #wotgh chat.

Anyway, I definitely need two things right now (I know, I should be happy for at least one day before getting pouty, but I can't help it):

1. Jason's review of ToM and

2. A recap document to help catch us up.

I have to be honest, I don't remember anything about the conversation between Verin and Mat in TGS, and I don't remember what the conditions were for him reading the letter nor do I remember the consequences of what would happen if he didn't read the letter. How do I not remember this?

I'ma go re-read that chapter in TGS when I get home tonight.

First, jemron, Brandon called it chapter eight, so it must be that.

Gambril and Deadsy - I think ye've just switched on a lightbulb in my head.

Obviously Elayne and Birgitte are not in residence!

Halwin Norry would have been found, by some wee bureaucrat, when one of the Band showed up looking for a few fields to borrow. Also because of them being a whopping great army, 'n stuff. It really doesn't add up that Mat would not be summoned to the palace. There's clearly something wrong, and the simplest explanation is that the Queen is not there. So where is she?

Tucked away where ..... (*drum roll, pls*)

GRAENDAL abducted her to???!!! Imagine!!!

Or, ick thought, (that some will prob love) she could be in Mat's tent...

Guest SquirrelBait

Haha I love Thom with the knife. You'd think Elayne would at least send for Thom though! Nice ending..... gah!

Agreed, you would think she would contact him seeing as she has been obsessed with him in the past, understandably of course

I'm not sure if people are aware of this but when you click on the link that BS provides via Twitter this is the url that appears:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/library/65/Towers-of-Midnight-Chapter-Eight-The-Seven-Striped-Lass

So apparently The Seven-Striped Lass is chapter 8. Were people aware of this? I just assumed that it was chapter 2.

I'm not sure if people are aware of this but when you click on the link that BS provides via Twitter this is the url that appears:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/library/65/Towers-of-Midnight-Chapter-Eight-The-Seven-Striped-Lass

So apparently The Seven-Striped Lass is chapter 8. Were people aware of this? I just assumed that it was chapter 2.

Gah. That makes it more likely that Mo won't get rescued 'til the end.

So with the gholam in Caemlyn, could the two Aes Sedai which Mat has to balance be ... Elayne and Moiraine?

This is what I'm thinking.

So with the gholam in Caemlyn, could the two Aes Sedai which Mat has to balance be ... Elayne and Moiraine? I.e. he would have to decide whether to guard Elayne or to rescue Moiraine? That's a pretty momentous decision. No wonder dice are landing on their corners.

Let's not forget that there are three AS with Mat at the moment.

I do like the idea that Mat will be torn between going to save Moraine and protect Elayne.

However I always fancied the cliche "Double" deal with the character has to decide between the real person and a fake. If anyone could do that, it would be the Finn.

So with the gholam in Caemlyn, could the two Aes Sedai which Mat has to balance be ... Elayne and Moiraine? I.e. he would have to decide whether to guard Elayne or to rescue Moiraine? That's a pretty momentous decision. No wonder dice are landing on their corners.

Let's not forget that there are three AS with Mat at the moment.

For one more night by the end of the chapter. I find that less likely, and it's three AS. We need only two.

Does anybody else think that Brandon's site needs a serious re-design? lol

Still, that chapter was really good. And I'm glad it was Ch. 8. It feels right that it wasn't right in the beginning, but not in the middle either. Just after a few catch up chapters after the prologue.

Elayne wouldn't stand a chance against the gholam with the medallion. maybe Birgitte or a guardswoman would...

My opinion is that Sanderson's Mat seems improved in this chapter. The first few in TGS were maybe 60-65%, this one seems somewhere in the 80-85% range. Maybe we'll get a solid A- or so later on :D

Archived