DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Seven Striped-Lass

JenniferL

Anyone else notice the timeline seems a bit out of whack? According to Brandon, Verin killed herself 30 days after giving the letter to Mat. Yet in "The Seven-striped Lass," there's already rumors in Caemlyn of the reunited Tower, the Seanchan attack, and a Shadowspawn invasion out of the Blight that had only been in the preparation stages in TGS. But Mat's still within the 30-day restriction Verin gave him. Something's not quite right here.

[crazytheory]Maybe Hinderstap was a harbinger of things to come and time is running out of whack everywhere. [/crazytheory]

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else notice the timeline seems a bit out of whack? According to Brandon, Verin killed herself 30 days after giving the letter to Mat. Yet in "The Seven-striped Lass," there's already rumors in Caemlyn of the reunited Tower, the Seanchan attack, and a Shadowspawn invasion out of the Blight that had only been in the preparation stages in TGS. But Mat's still within the 30-day restriction Verin gave him. Something's not quite right here.

[crazytheory]Maybe Hinderstap was a harbinger of things to come and times is running out of whack everywhere. [/crazytheory]

Haha! I like it!

no no no no no! Ended in a cliffhanger and it sounded bloody good!

Now I'm gonna hate the 5 month wait even more!!! :(

Five months? More like two and some change.

And prologue in a couple of days. Yhew!

Not even that...it's 46 days away for the main release.

Holy.... I didn't realize it is that soon! Wow.

Not even that...it's 46 days away for the main release.

Holy.... I didn't realize it is that soon! Wow.

Yeah in the U.S. it's election day on Nov. 2, sometimes on the radio I get Sean Hannity giving the countdown to election day and I just think, "thanks for reminding me how soon ToM is coming out!"

Is there anything besides authorial fiat to say that there's a timeline problem? Maybe Brandon just got it wrong.

I suppose not -- although authorial fiat is usually pretty solid, and then we'd have the issue of Verin killing herself just shortly after giving Mat the letter, which doesn't make too much sense. She'd have no way of being certain that what she'd "set in motion" would actually happen.

my book store only supplies the soft cover UK edition tipe cover

TGS I waited about 5 months after the official release before they had the book

So I think that, that will probably happen again, last time was even a pre-order!

I made two orders on Amazon, with the two editions. One was scheduled for december, the second on november 8th by my home. Guess which one I cancelled?? ;)

I ordered the most expensive of the two editions, but if it prevent me from waiting 2 supplementary months, it is earning the 5€ it cost me. And I'm currently mooding over the prologue. Shall I buy it or not? Here is the current biggest question of my whole life.... After "what will I eat this midday?".

So I think that, that will probably happen again, last time was even a pre-order!

Dang, that stinks. On the flip side, you could always ask for someone closer by to mail you a copy, or buy one online to be mailed to you....shouldn't take that long, unless your mail service is REALLY slow. Do you live in Bumfu** Egypt perchance?

I made two orders on Amazon, with the two editions. One was scheduled for december, the second on november 8th by my home. Guess which one I cancelled?? ;)

I ordered the most expensive of the two editions, but if it prevent me from waiting 2 supplementary months, it is earning the 5€ it cost me. And I'm currently mooding over the prologue. Shall I buy it or not? Here is the current biggest question of my whole life.... After "what will I eat this midday?".

I know I'm ordering the prologue...3 bucks is worth it IMNSHO. It gives Tor incentive to give early tidbits for future releases -- say, of AMoL, when we're jonesing next year.

Dang, that stinks. On the flip side, you could always ask for someone closer by to mail you a copy, or buy one online to be mailed to you....shouldn't take that long, unless your mail service is REALLY slow. Do you live in Bumfu** Egypt perchance?

Umm no South Africa :)

As for the online ordering, at the moment only the hardcover seems to be availible otherwise I would buy it online

Is there anything besides authorial fiat to say that there's a timeline problem? Maybe Brandon just got it wrong.

The more I think of it the more impossible the timeline seems. Even if the timeline is perfect, that means there's another error. If the timeline is right and Rand has already had his epiphany at this point in Mat's story, then Rand's vision of Mat in TGS was wrong. He saw Mat on a horse in Caemlyn. Mat hasn't ridden horses in Caemlyn yet.

To be honest, though, timeline stuff doesn't really bother me. I can ignore it. The only way it will become a huge issue is if Perrin doesn't meet up with Galad in the early parts of the book, since that happened before Dragonmount. If they don't meet until later the timelines are going to be zig zagging like crazy throughout the book. If Perrin has met Galad by then, it might explain why Elayne isn't answering Mat.

When the prologue is released I'll be leaving the forum until November to avoid any spoilers. I shouldn't even have read this Mat chapter (I thought it might be a deleted scene set between the books). No matter how many "Do not post spoilers here" notices are put up, there will always be some clown waiting to do it anyway. With these last 2 books, I'm being more careful than normal as I want nothing ruined.

As for the online ordering, at the moment only the hardcover seems to be availible otherwise I would buy it online

Bumfu** Egypt is a popular American term for the backside of nowhere, so to speak, in case you didn't get the reference. South Africa's not quite there ;) I hear the highway between Pretoria and Jo'burg is quite the nightmare. Check your brakes before entering. And unfortunately I can also only get the hardback on Nov. 2, for about $20, give or take a couple of bucks.

Mat hasn't ridden horses in Caemlyn yet.

I might have missed something in the sample, but how do we know he didn't ride a horse in?

He didn't take any horses into Caemlyn because he didn't trust any stables. A lot of horses have been disappearing because people are going hungry.

True. Did he know that upon getting to Caemlyn? I am sure that Verin didn't open a gateway right in front of the gates. Mat would have scouted out the city upon arrival and then made his prohibition on horses.

Mat hasn't ridden horses in Caemlyn yet.

I might have missed something in the sample, but how do we know he didn't ride a horse in?

He didn't take any horses into Caemlyn because he didn't trust any stables. A lot of horses have been disappearing because people are going hungry.

True. Did he know that upon getting to Caemlyn? I am sure that Verin didn't open a gateway right in front of the gates. Mat would have scouted out the city upon arrival and then made his prohibition on horses.

The chapter only says that Mat met with Norry, or got word from him (Elayne's clerk) who gave the Band permission to camp a league away form the city. One could only guess whether he'd made the decision on horses by being overcautious or by getting burned. I hope Pips didn't end up in someone's stew.

Bumfu** Egypt is a popular American term for the backside of nowhere, so to speak, in case you didn't get the reference. South Africa's not quite there ;) I hear the highway between Pretoria and Jo'burg is quite the nightmare. Check your brakes before entering. And unfortunately I can also only get the hardback on Nov. 2, for about $20, give or take a couple of bucks.

LOL I got the reference ;) and as for that bloody highway nightmare doesn't begin to describe it. I would rather go alone into the Blight than go on that highway during rush hour

I would order the hardcover if I had the money for two copies of ToM but at the moment I don't

Archived