DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Seven Striped-Lass

JenniferL

I did not read all 17 pages of posts, so this may be covered. I just want to say I am a huge fan of the series, having it read it beginning to end 4 times. I love both authors and will read this series again and again many times before I die.

That being said, why did Sanderson choose to reveal an incredibly boring chapter where next to nothing actually happens? Yes, the last sentence was a cliffhanger. But everything before that is still boring. Yes, the dice are spinning, but I assume at this point that the dice are always spinning. Other than that, it's just a normal day in the life of Mat. Ho hum. Gambling? check. In a bar or tavern? check. Reference to his eye for women or their eye for him? check. Random footpads after him? check. Thom singing in a tavern and really good with a knife? check. Trying to avoid any entanglement with Aes Sedai? check. Lots of walking around the city? check.

Honestly, he could have significantly shortened the chapter by saying:

"Matt had a normal day for him, which involved multiple taverns, gambling, hiding from people looking for him, walking around the city a bunch, seeing Thom perform, and trying to avoid Aes Sedai entanglement. He also went back and forth on what to do with Verin's note but reached no conclusion. The Ghollum is still after him. He found out the Ghollum was close based on a story of how some random person died. Then he smelled blood in his tent."

We got everything important from the chapter and none of the other stuff that does zero to progress the story. There's a time for setting the scene and the plotline and there is a time for action. At book 13, we are well into the time for action. Let's see some.

Did you honestly think he would put up a vital chapter? Come on, what kind of an author would he be if he spoiled some epic scene or some crucial revelation from somewhere in the middle of the book. The goal of releases like this one is to tease us about the content and make us want more and not cheat us of the experience of actually reading the entire book.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not read all 17 pages of posts, so this may be covered. I just want to say I am a huge fan of the series, having it read it beginning to end 4 times. I love both authors and will read this series again and again many times before I die.

That being said, why did Sanderson choose to reveal an incredibly boring chapter where next to nothing actually happens? Yes, the last sentence was a cliffhanger. But everything before that is still boring. Yes, the dice are spinning, but I assume at this point that the dice are always spinning. Other than that, it's just a normal day in the life of Mat. Ho hum. Gambling? check. In a bar or tavern? check. Reference to his eye for women or their eye for him? check. Random footpads after him? check. Thom singing in a tavern and really good with a knife? check. Trying to avoid any entanglement with Aes Sedai? check. Lots of walking around the city? check.

"Matt had a normal day for him, which involved multiple taverns, gambling, hiding from people looking for him, walking around the city a bunch, seeing Thom perform, and trying to avoid Aes Sedai entanglement. He also went back and forth on what to do with Verin's note but reached no conclusion. The Ghollum is still after him. He found out the Ghollum was close based on a story of how some random person died. Then he smelled blood in his tent."

We got everything important from the chapter and none of the other stuff that does zero to progress the story. There's a time for setting the scene and the plotline and there is a time for action. At book 13, we are well into the time for action. Let's see some.

Did you honestly think he would put up a vital chapter? Come on, what kind of an author would he be if he spoiled some epic scene or some crucial revelation from somewhere in the middle of the book. The goal of releases like this one is to tease us about the content and make us want more and not cheat us of the experience of actually reading the entire book.

I understand that. But why release anything at all? I guess this just had the opposite effect on me as it did most people. This actually reduced my level of excitement. This release was like a debbie downer coming in and ruining a good time. I would have been better off without it. Loved the prologue though and still very much looking forward to this book. Just did not agree with releasing this chapter, but Brandon and the publisher make the big bucks, not me. I guess you cannot please everybody.

Judging by what Jason had in his review, I think you'll find chapter 1-2 a little more satisfying, unless the order has changed dramatically. Because if I understood Jason correctly, Rand/Egwane meet in the first chapter.

What made you think that?

His comment that mentioned how ToM starts off where TGS left off, with Rand walking down the mountian and a long overdue meeting. Which leads me to think he walks down to Tar Valon (which sounds kinda risky yet is EXACTLY what we don't see enough of in WoT)

His comment that mentioned how ToM starts off where TGS left off, with Rand walking down the mountian and a long overdue meeting. Which leads me to think he walks down to Tar Valon (which sounds kinda risky yet is EXACTLY what we don't see enough of in WoT)

It's not that risky, atleast if Rand isn't reckless. There is no ward around the Tower for male channelers or anything. He can easily make his way into the WT in disguise or under an invisibility weave. Or he could get right into Egwene's office through TAR. Afterall he does know how to enter it physically.

Umm... when did he say that?

I'll say it again. "What review?"

There's no link to it on the home page. Maybe I need to clear my cache.

There should be--under 'I have read Towers of Midnight'.

Either way, here

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/51325-reviews-of-tom-what-did-you-glean-from-them/page__view__findpost__p__1627131

Here's an edited version.

Atleast now we know that it isn't Olver's blood in the tent. The boy has to survive until the end of the book. Before he probably pays the price for following Mat into Finnland.

I deleted that. The part about Rand walking down the mountain was not Jason--the person entered their own spoilers.

You should undelete it, cause that was Jason. Read the very last bits of his post it says there

You know how The Gathering Storm ended with Rand up on top of dragonmount, reaching to the heavens and crying "Why???" Well, this book begins with (SPOILERS!) him walking down the mountain, Moses style, and having a long overdue conversation with someone.

Mhttp://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/51421-dm-newsi-have-read-towers-of-midnight/page__p__1626705?do=findComment&comment=1626705

I really wasn't expecting to see more after the links to the Amazon sites, but then there was a few more paragraphs. It's almost as if he was deciding whether or not to include them in his review and then forgot to delete them from his post before adding the thread. There was an incomplete sentence or two in there I think.

I understand that. But why release anything at all? I guess this just had the opposite effect on me as it did most people. This actually reduced my level of excitement. This release was like a debbie downer coming in and ruining a good time. I would have been better off without it. Loved the prologue though and still very much looking forward to this book. Just did not agree with releasing this chapter, but Brandon and the publisher make the big bucks, not me. I guess you cannot please everybody.

Did you participate in the Great Hunt? If not that's probably why you're confused.

It was all in the name of fun, and after a few weeks we got something for it, people will piss and moan about anything.

I was just re-reading the seven striped lass and one thing struck me:

She smiled at him. Her tavern, The Seven-Striped Lass, was one of the best in western Caemlyn. Ale with a robust flavor, games of dice when you wanted them, and not a rat to be seen. They probably did not want to risk running afoul of Melli. Light, but the woman could shame the whiskers off a man's cheeks without much trying.

"Not a rat to be seen", this is at a time when the white tower has rats because the wards are failing, and the world is infested with the DO's eyes; we're supposed to accept that a random tavern (which has a chapter named after it) is one of the only places not to have rats?? Is there something more to this tavern and its owner Melli? Or has she just got one heck of a lot of cats to help her keep the place clean?

EDIT: especially when the owner insists on Mat (a man who she knows keeps his word) promising to introduce her to Verin if she comes back.

I loved this chapter, myself. It really felt more Mat-like. I didn't think Mat in tGS was horrible, but there were obvious rough edges. It looks like Brandon really worked on his 'Mat Voice', and it shows.

I don't think there's necessarily a timeline lapse. The rumors are easily explained away, as mentioned. As for the weather... well, Elayne does have lots of Windfinders. Maybe she has them clearing out the clouds for some reason.

On another thing, I really am not liking Elayne right now. There better be a reason for her not talking to Mat other than a LoC 'Try to be above him and steal his men' or snootiness or something. Something plot-related and major.

I loved this chapter, myself. It really felt more Mat-like. I didn't think Mat in tGS was horrible, but there were obvious rough edges. It looks like Brandon really worked on his 'Mat Voice', and it shows.

On another thing, I really am not liking Elayne right now. There better be a reason for her not talking to Mat other than a LoC 'Try to be above him and steal his men' or snootiness or something. Something plot-related and major.

I have to agree, this Mat sounds way better than TGS Mat. I still liked Mat in TGS but he was definitely more 'slap-stick' humor as Jason put it, compared to ToM Mat. I have to also agree that Elayne isn't helping her cause too much by ignoring Mat, you think she would have come to like him or at least tolerate him more after he saved her skin and she acknowledged it back in Ebou Dar. Hopefully something is up because I would like to enjoy reading about Elayne more rather than not because it just makes it painful at times.

I don't think there's necessarily a timeline lapse. The rumors are easily explained away, as mentioned. As for the weather... well, Elayne does have lots of Windfinders. Maybe she has them clearing out the clouds for some reason.

In her most recent POVs, doesn't she wish to herself that Mat was there? She knows the Band is there, reference the ban on more than 100 men in the city at a time. I think she IS trying to get Mat, but someone is interfering with the messages. Especially considering that with Mat is the single most useful person for almost anything Elayne wants to do: Thom. I don't think it's a Forsaken/TG-related plot, probably just a normal person who wants to keep Elayne isolated to make her easier to manipulate and/or depose.

Unless she was killed in an earlier chapter, Duhara's still there and Lanfear could be messing around there too. Especially if she learned Elayne is pregnant and who by, though she may be able to guess who by. I'd love for there to be another scene between Rand and Lanfear before the end but one way or the other, I think she'll get herself killed before TG. It would be interesting to have a scene showing a meeting between Elayne's Amazons and some of the band.

Unless she was killed in an earlier chapter, Duhara's still there and Lanfear could be messing around there too. Especially if she learned Elayne is pregnant and who by, though she may be able to guess who by. I'd love for there to be another scene between Rand and Lanfear before the end but one way or the other, I think she'll get herself killed before TG. It would be interesting to have a scene showing a meeting between Elayne's Amazons and some of the band.

Lanfear definitely knows about Aviendha, after all she flat out attacked Rand and her in Cariehein. I don't think we've seen any indication that she or any Forsaken know about Elayne, but everyone seems to know about Min since she is pretty much Rand's shadow. This of course does not mean that they don't know about her but it seems a little less likely than it being true.

Lanfear definitely knows about Aviendha, after all she flat out attacked Rand and her in Cariehein. I don't think we've seen any indication that she or any Forsaken know about Elayne, but everyone seems to know about Min since she is pretty much Rand's shadow. This of course does not mean that they don't know about her but it seems a little less likely than it being true.

Two Forsaken we can be sure of know about Rand and Elayne's relationship and that is Mogheidan and Moridin. Remember Elayne and Nynaeve blabbed continuously in front of Moggy when they held her with the a'dam. Her subsequent escape into the clutches of a mindtrap held by Moridin means she told him everything she knows and unfortantely for our SG's, this means these two know about them.

Archived