DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Opening line for AMOL...

"There was no wind."

An exposition could continue on just as the wind narrative might, discussing how the tattered banners over a particular battefield did not so much as stir in a breeze, how the sails of Sea Folk vessels at anchor hung limp or how raken eyed the skies warily and refused to take wing... as if the entire world was holding its breath, waiting for something.

Anyway, just thought it'd be a killer first sentence. It would definitely give me chills after the way all of the books til then had begun.

The first sentence has already been released.

The wind was in Imfaral. ;)

Ahhhhhhhh dammit. Shows you how up-to-date I am on things.

Still think it would have been cool though.

No, thats the first sentance for ToM, not AMoL, so you are still in with a chance.

Personally, I think this would be great opener, its exactly the thing that would happen, well thought out  :)

The first sentence has already been released.

The wind was in Imfaral. ;)

Ahhhhhhhh dammit. Shows you how up-to-date I am on things.

Still think it would have been cool though.

No, thats the first sentance for ToM, not AMoL, so you are still in with a chance.

Personally, I think this would be great opener, its exactly the thing that would happen, well thought out  :)

Excellent. Now - how do I get Brandon to read this?

[quote author=Impressive Bosom link=topic=59638.msg1744646#msg1744646

Maybe post to his Twitter account, it seems like he responds to it pretty quickly and frequently.  I do like that opening line of yours.  Perhaps with this small addition:

"There was no wind.  There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time...but it was an ending."

Perhaps too obvious, but still...setting a dark tone like that at the beginning of AMOL would be pretty cool.

[quote author=Impressive Bosom link=topic=59638.msg1744646#msg1744646

Maybe post to his Twitter account, it seems like he responds to it pretty quickly and frequently.  I do like that opening line of yours.  Perhaps with this small addition:

"There was no wind.  There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time...but it was an ending."

Perhaps too obvious, but still...setting a dark tone like that at the beginning of AMOL would be pretty cool.

I like that touch. Though obviously I would never really even think to suggest to Brandon what he should or shouldn't write with regards to anything (other than Taim really being Demandred of course). You have to think that ToM is going to end in some really dark fashion - I liken these last three books to the original Star Wars triology, but most especially ToM to Empire Strikes Back... I really think we're going to get to see the darkest before the Dawn when it comes out.

I like that touch. Though obviously I would never really even think to suggest to Brandon what he should or shouldn't write with regards to anything (other than Taim really being Demandred of course). You have to think that ToM is going to end in some really dark fashion - I liken these last three books to the original Star Wars triology, but most especially ToM to Empire Strikes Back... I really think we're going to get to see the darkest before the Dawn when it comes out.

Now that touch I definitely like! Empire was easily my favorite Star Wars flick, and I can see a similarly dark tone permeating ToM. 

I just hope it doesn't mean we'll see Ewoks in AMoL ;)

Rand: I will never join you! you killed my father!

Moridin: Rand; I am your father...

could so happen, or perhaps Rand goes to some far away planet to get taught crazy new skills by some midget *caugh* Moiraine *caugh*...

Now that touch I definitely like! Empire was easily my favorite Star Wars flick, and I can see a similarly dark tone permeating ToM. 

I just hope it doesn't mean we'll see Ewoks in AMoL ;)

Not unless Brandon decides he wants to sell out and trade in Wookies/Ogier for something cuddlier and more marketable to children.

That's right - I'm looking at YOU, Lucas.

"There was no wind."

An exposition could continue on just as the wind narrative might, discussing how the tattered banners over a particular battefield did not so much as stir in a breeze, how the sails of Sea Folk vessels at anchor hung limp or how raken eyed the skies warily and refused to take wing... as if the entire world was holding its breath, waiting for something.

Anyway, just thought it'd be a killer first sentence. It would definitely give me chills after the way all of the books til then had begun.

That would give me chills if it were the first sentence, especially if the last sentence of ToM is what I hope it will be: "The Dragon Reborn is dead."

"There was no wind."

That would give me chills if it were the first sentence, especially if the last sentence of ToM is what I hope it will be: "The Dragon Reborn is dead."

My thoughts exactly.

"There was no wind.  There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time...but it was an ending."

May I suggest a further small addition:

"There was no wind.  There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time...but it was the beginning of an end."

"There was no wind.  There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time...but it was the beginning of an end."

"There was no wind.  There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time...but it was the beginning of the ending of an ending's beginning."

No, I think we should form a petition using the line in Cubarey's post and twitter it to BS.

"There was no wind.  There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time...but it was the beginning of the ending of an ending's beginning."

And we come back full circle to Bela's farts.

Kudos to thinking up the "there was no wind" opening to aMoL, though. That would really creep me out. Now I'm kind of worried now that RJ had that in mind, and now the shock might be spoiled. Fiddlesticks. How am I going to get to sleep at night now?

Guest Emu on the Loose

That "no wind" idea for the beginning of AMoL is intriguing, although BS wouldn't take that kind of a turn unless RJ left it in his notes. Do you suppose he did? I think it could go either way.

The idea of calling it an "ending" rather than a "beginning" isn't likely to happen, unless the wind paragraph makes another appearance at the very end of AMoL, in which case an "ending" wording would be quite apt, and very much in Jordan's style. And maybe, if there is a paragraph about the wind at the end of AMoL, it'll be the Dragon's own (last?) breath that causes it.

Somebody upthread suggested wording like "beginning of the end" or "end of the beginning." I wouldn't count on it. That's exactly the kind of melodramatic overworking that RJ always tried so hard to avoid, and I'd be disappointed if he tried to zing us with something like that.

Archived