DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Batman 3

Krakalakachkn

I thought the slow build was more emblematic of how bruce wayne was living.

He's not in an active role, beat up physically & mentally, reclusive...and when you see how things progress in terms of his personal activity, everything else speeds up, but then later on when he's put in the same beat up position, things slow down for a bit, and then the accelerator heads toward the floor when he gets out of the hole...so to speak?

I don't think there were any instances of what I'd call 'over-acting', maybe less than 5 instances of cheesey lines, and there were alot of neat shots & cuts - like the underground tunnel staggared strobe shot sequence.

Only thing I can really think to complain about is the picture & sound system of the theatre I was at, but otherwise it was good! Really good!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the midnight marathon - Batman Begins at 6:40, Dark Knight at 9:00, and Dark Knight Rises at 12:00 - and I have to say, Rises is the best of the 3. I thought it was amazing, this portrayal of Bane made the animated Bane look like a joke. My only complaint was that the batmobile and the batwing looked like crap.

I spent the last few days thinking about this movie. Overall I liked the film. So don't take my criticisms the wrong way :) I am a a picky and honest movie expert (in my head). OH this is SPOILERY... do not read if you dont want to be spoiled.

1. I came to the conclusion I liked this film the least of the trilogy. I compare it to Return of the Jedi from the holy trinity. I loved Star Wars, Empire blew me away and RotJ was still great but no Empire. The Dark Knight was almost a perfect superhero movie. It was beautifully acted and the plot seemed simple but really had tons of layers. If the biggest complaint from a movie is "Batman's voice was too raspy" then you have a winner :P

2. I was bothered by the low production value from some scenes. Not EVERY car that you blow up flips over. The Bat was flying around blowing up tanks and they always flipped over. This is VERY minor thing but stood out to me. Sorry I am picky.... but I could overlook this easily.

3. Anyone else feel let down when Bane became a lapdog and then Catwoman bikes in and shoots him down? Personally I was hoping for a Batman/Bane rematch of epic proportions.

4. The plot was overly complicated. And I like complicated plots... but it did not work for me in this one. The board members trying to take over the company working with Bane and the stock market thing could have easily been eliminated. Talia, while I appreciate why she was in the film, was a throw away character. I would have preferred more mayham in the streets. If you realistically get rid of authority and give a city to the people it would be a little more hectic.

5. The violence in the film was toned down to get the PG13 rating... but it made the violence feel more fake. I understand why this was done.

6. Who was Selina's friend that she was hanging around with all the time? Did I blink when that was revealed?

7. Banes voice. At least in my theatre it felt like it was dubbed on a different audio track than the movie I was watching. Meaning it sounded fake... or as my wife put it... like I was watching the Glee kids sing.

Ok I will stop. Again I liked the movie but its flaws keep me from loving it as I do the previous two films.

MOAR SPOILERS

I was kinda disappointed by Bane's exit from the film, too; it was as if, now that he'd done everything the narrative needed him for, he wasn't important anymore. I can accept being blasted by Catwoman with the Batpod's guns, but it should have at least been more clear - the primary villain of the film just kinda gets knocked offscreen, and since we don't see him die we can only assume he did because he got shot with guns that could blow up a wall of cars. His voice - it wasn't just you - sounded like a voiceover; it wasn't blended into the soundscape around him. I wouldn't really look at him as Talia's lapdog; the most subordinate position I would see him in with reference to her is what TVTropes calls "The Dragon".

Aside, how many people with prior knowledge of the comics actually believed them when they said Marion Cotillard's character wasn't Talia?

Selina's friend/roommate/whatever was named "Jen", apparently, but she's pretty obviously based on Holly Robinson, a runaway she took in in the comics who took over as Catwoman while Selina was pregnant.

I knew to expect Liam Neeson based on set reports, but I don't recall that I ever heard Cillian Murphy was back again, which made his appearance in the "court" a pleasant surprise.

Some thoughts (with spoilers):

I won't bother to address the whole nuke problem, since there is no way in hell Batman could have possiby survived.

The idea that Bruce Wayne lost his entire fortune was not well thought out. First, he doesn't fight it, second, all he had to do was point out that the stocks were purchased at the exact time Bane was raiding the stock market. I mean really, how long would it take to investigate fraud when a criminal hacks into the stock market? Obviously, something could have been done.

Who sends 3000 cops into an enclosed and hard to access area, all at once? As far as Commissioner Gordon goes, that was the stupidest thing he's done in all three movies.

Those were the cleanest streets I've ever seen, especially at a time when there are mass-murderers running around. Speaking of which, where were they after they were freed?

Cillian Murphy was awesome; I'm glad Nolan brought him back in TDK and TDKR. Also, I loved the direct reference/allusion to the French Courts during the Reign of Terror.

So, when Gordon and his fellows are captured and sentenced to death...by exile (awesome), was the ice suddenly 5x thicker than it was previously? If one man walking by himself falls through the ice, how can ten men walking clumped together, somehow, not fall through the ice? Does Batman have a special ice-thickener?

The prison training montage was lame. Pushups, situps, and pullups = suddenly back in shape after 8 years? With no cardio? I think not.

[Miami PD] Detective Quinn still manages to be a douchebag.

For the love of God, why didn't you name him Dick Grayson? Sure, half the theater wouldn't have understood, but it's better than making his Christian name, "Robin."

Some of the things you mentioned are I think a bit obvious Krak, so I'm gonna pick apart your post a bit.

I won't bother to address the whole nuke problem, since there is no way in hell Batman could have possiby survived.

I think you missed the part where he wasn't actually flying it by that point. They just made you think he was.

The idea that Bruce Wayne lost his entire fortune was not well thought out. First, he doesn't fight it, second, all he had to do was point out that the stocks were purchased at the exact time Bane was raiding the stock market. I mean really, how long would it take to investigate fraud when a criminal hacks into the stock market? Obviously, something could have been done.

Who sends 3000 cops into an enclosed and hard to access area, all at once? As far as Commissioner Gordon goes, that was the stupidest thing he's done in all three movies.

Those were the cleanest streets I've ever seen, especially at a time when there are mass-murderers running around. Speaking of which, where were they after they were freed?

Cillian Murphy was awesome; I'm glad Nolan brought him back in TDK and TDKR. Also, I loved the direct reference/allusion to the French Courts during the Reign of Terror.

These I agree with. There's also safety measures in place to prevent things like what happened in the stock market scenario. Oh and how it went from middle of the day trading to middle of the night batman showing up in that tunnel.

So, when Gordon and his fellows are captured and sentenced to death...by exile (awesome), was the ice suddenly 5x thicker than it was previously? If one man walking by himself falls through the ice, how can ten men walking clumped together, somehow, not fall through the ice? Does Batman have a special ice-thickener?

No, they simply did not get as far out on the ice as the guy you saw fall through did. Also why did nobody think to crawl across? Colder, but less likely to fall through that way.

The prison training montage was lame. Pushups, situps, and pullups = suddenly back in shape after 8 years? With no cardio? I think not.

He showed that he wasn't completely out of shape already from putting his batman suit on in the first place. Just not in good enough shape to fight Bane and stand a chance. Plus he was in that prison for months, they would have only shown a sampling of what all he did.

For the love of God, why didn't you name him Dick Grayson? Sure, half the theater wouldn't have understood, but it's better than making his Christian name, "Robin."

What about Tim Drake?

Some of the things you mentioned are I think a bit obvious Krak, so I'm gonna pick apart your post a bit.

I think you missed the part where he wasn't actually flying it by that point. They just made you think he was.

Dammit, I forgot about the damn autopilot.

No, they simply did not get as far out on the ice as the guy you saw fall through did. Also why did nobody think to crawl across? Colder, but less likely to fall through that way.

The first guy didn't make it ten feet, Gordon and them made it to the first support beam for the bridge. But yeah, crawling.

What about Tim Drake?

Or him, or any of the other Robins. My point was, don't call him Robin.

The stock hacking was more than a simple hack - that's what they needed Bruce's fingerprints for, as identification. Likewise why they had to do it at the exchange instead of remotely. Basically they dumped in enough narrative grist so that it at least has the air of plausibility. Besides, if one transaction during the attack goes under investigation for fraud, all of them that day would have to.

As far as the ice goes, well, Bane's reign is a span of months, so the ice could have been thicker when Gordon walked it than when Daggett's flunky went out.

And about Robin? There have been five different Robins at this point that I can think of (Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Damian Wayne), six if you cound Carrie Kelly from The Dark Knight Returns. Robin is more a job title than a character these days. Blake is a composite character, mostly of Grayson and Drake, who embodies the essence of what Robin has traditionally been for Batman. That being the case, how would you explain his codename better? I recall Batman Forever coming up with something dumb, but the original name was just something colorful rather than having any intended meaning. Given the wintery setting of the climax of the film, I was half expecting something silly about the coming of spring.

Speaking of Damian Wayne, I saw somewhere someone expressing disappointment that killing off Talia meant no getting Damian, and I thought to myself, "Good god, who would want anything Grant Morrison was responsible for? That was a terrible idea."

• Community Administrator

No, they simply did not get as far out on the ice as the guy you saw fall through did. Also why did nobody think to crawl across? Colder, but less likely to fall through that way

OMG I was thinking that through out that scene! HAs no one in Gotham ever heard anything about how to cross thin ice? Do they not understand the simple concept of spreading your weight across a greater surface area, than onto two small feet? I mean, sure, the guards may shoot at them if they attempt to crawl, as they did say they had to walk across it. (possibly?) But... yeesh... they should have had some one show some brains! (Bear Grillse anyone? lol)

The stock hacking was more than a simple hack - that's what they needed Bruce's fingerprints for, as identification. Likewise why they had to do it at the exchange instead of remotely. Basically they dumped in enough narrative grist so that it at least has the air of plausibility. Besides, if one transaction during the attack goes under investigation for fraud, all of them that day would have to.

As far as the ice goes, well, Bane's reign is a span of months, so the ice could have been thicker when Gordon walked it than when Daggett's flunky went out.

And about Robin? There have been five different Robins at this point that I can think of (Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Damian Wayne), six if you cound Carrie Kelly from The Dark Knight Returns. Robin is more a job title than a character these days. Blake is a composite character, mostly of Grayson and Drake, who embodies the essence of what Robin has traditionally been for Batman. That being the case, how would you explain his codename better? I recall Batman Forever coming up with something dumb, but the original name was just something colorful rather than having any intended meaning. Given the wintery setting of the climax of the film, I was half expecting something silly about the coming of spring.

Speaking of Damian Wayne, I saw somewhere someone expressing disappointment that killing off Talia meant no getting Damian, and I thought to myself, "Good god, who would want anything Grant Morrison was responsible for? That was a terrible idea."

I was half expecting Night Hawk to show up in this film. I almost feel like there was a LOT of stuff cut from the film to put it in under 3 hours.

By the by, is Two Face actually dead in this incarnation? Or did batman put him in hiding? I know they say he was dead, but I coudl have sworn he spared him that fate in the end of the last movie... My memories fuzzy on this.

Was also kind of hoping, they'd at least make some refrences to the Ridler, & Dr Freeze in this movie. Passing refrences. (Like a phone call from wayne to the doctor about his wifes condition perhaps?)

It also took me a while to figure out who the judge was.

I didn't know anything about the lady Talia, but I wasn't suprised either. I figured there was something about the childs protector in the hole.

But they also let slip one minor detail, that wayne... really missed.

The doctor told wayne, that the mask was fashioned for bane, in prison after a horrible epidemic. its the only thing that keeps the pain at bay I'm paraphrasing of course.

If the mask was made in prison, and he escaped as a child...

Why

1) didn't the escaping child footage, show the mask?

2) Why would the mask still fit after all these years?

Wayne really forgot to listen to the detail.

I hadn't caught that Bane wasn't the one who escaped till the end, but I also caught that discreprency, I assumed at first, it was just a screw up on the editors/continuity guys part. not a plot point. Thats what I get for thinking them dumb. right? :wink:

Figured I'd be kind to those who are clicking on this thread for the first time and haven't seen it. Afterall, they don't want to know that batman dies right? :tongue:

If you notice, when Commissioner Gordon steps out into the ice, it's night time when the ice is at its thickest due to the drop in temperature. I'm surprised that's the point that gets you when you see Batman light up a flare and create a fire on the ice with a bunch of guys standing on it.

The movie was better than Batman Begins, but I don't think it was better than The Dark Knight. If we're being picky about the movie, which I liked, here is what I have problems with:

1) The stock market stuff didn't really make sense.

2) Medical part 1: Ok so Bruce is really suffering in the first half of the movie. I mean no cartilage in the knees sounds like it sucks. He sticks on some knee brace and suddenly he's good to go? WHY did he have a cane in the first place if this technology was available to him?

3) Medical part 2: Batman breaks his back...he's newly fixed when he begins missing jumps from hundreds of feet in the air saved only by a rope that's tied to his torso. Hey I don't think those falls are really helping to realign his vertebrae.

4) Medical part 3: Batman is still buff and ready to go despite not being able to walk properly for years.

5) When I look into your eyes and see your face, I don't all of a sudden know you're secretly Batman.

6) The Batcopter or whatever kept flipping upside down. It defies the laws of Physics. Helicopters don't do flips.

7) Police 1: What kind of city has the budget to employ ALL of those police officers?

8) Police 2: How exactly is food getting down to the officers if they are hunting down officers on the street?

9) Police 3: Why would you group up and run right into people shooting at you when you have your own guns?

1) The stock market stuff didn't really make sense.

Both bane and Talia knew that batman was bruce wayne.

They wanted to bankrupt him, and wayne corpe, to further the plot of allowing Talia to become the head of Wayne corp, so she could get the knowlege, of wher eall this secret stuff was hiding at, so Bane could then, further his plans to get to the armory, ect, ect.

6) The Batcopter or whatever kept flipping upside down. It defies the laws of Physics. Helicopters don't do flips.

Yea... All I acn say is..

1) A helicopter could do that move, but it would be done only by a complete

2) The batcopter is something different. But, what doesnt' make sense is it has that nice little hood above the traditional choppers... So if its upside down.. how is it obtaining lift? It doesn't actually need a surface below it to fly (else how would it obtain lift when its 5000 feet up?) but with that hood... it can't make that job any easier.

7) Police 1: What kind of city has the budget to employ ALL of those police officers?

Gotham is escentially, New York City....

Just looking under wikipedia.

It lists NYC, as having 34,500 uniformed Poiice Officers.

And 8,839 police cars./ 11 boats, 8 copters, 120 horses, 34 dogs.

Needless to say.. Thats sizeable compared to the 3,000 employed by Gotham.

And you wonder why crimes rampet in Gotham? Same size as NYC... with...8% of the police force?

lawl. :wink:

8) Police 2: How exactly is food getting down to the officers if they are hunting down officers on the street?

9) Police 3: Why would you group up and run right into people shooting at you when you have your own guns?

Great question. how do you feed 3000 police officers, in a cave, for 3 months? we only see robin running around meeting them... Thats alot of food to carry to them everyday...

As #9? can't answer that. Aside from simply.

Its more dramatic.

Not quite the same as the film, but...

Edit: Tried posting a youtube link but it did not work. So, search google videos for "Red Bull Flying Bull." You're looking for a clip of a red helicopter doing flips and such as part of a Red Bull Air Race event. If should be the first result that comes up. It's called "Red Bull Helicopter does back flips!".

So, in the film, if one allows for artistic licence then the laws of Physics are not defied, merely bent a little. When the helicopter is moving forward through the air the rotor creates transitional lift, just like a regular fixed-wing aircraft. And while it could not fly upside down for nearly as long as a fixed-wing aircraft, it can do so for brief periods. Hence, in principle, it is quite possible, if not exactly as depicted.

Two Face was dead. Batman and Gordon sat there at the end of the film and played with his dead body. Plus Nolan confirmed he was dead in some press conference.

I forgave most of the stuff that bothers most people. Recovering from his back, keeping in shape, feeding cops... it is a comic book movie. If we are getting that nitty gritty how come Batman always shows up to help people right in time? Why don't thugs just shoot him in the face? etc, etc. My biggest disappointment was in Bane. I wanted more badassery from him. I mean I guess I understand Batman doesn't kill so Catwoman has to do it, but still... Batman never even came close to beating him. I mean that all makes sense as Batman had the body of a 90 year old.

About the stock market thing...

Lucius said, when he showed the headline to Bruce, they could prove fraud long term, and pretty easily.

The problem was proving fraud would have taken a few day at least. And Lucius was pretty much picking up Bruce to attend a Board of Directors meaning that day.

Afterwords Bruce disappeared so he could not take the case to court.

skimmed through the thread. haven't seen the movie ... but are you serious that they brought in Robin :dry:

i was so much hoping that was supposed to be Darkwing and Batgirl ... not the over done Robin and Catwoman *sighs* that alone just made me want to see this movie a little less

skimmed through the thread. haven't seen the movie ... but are you serious that they brought in Robin :dry:

i was so much hoping that was supposed to be Darkwing and Batgirl ... not the over done Robin and Catwoman *sighs* that alone just made me want to see this movie a little less

Its more of a passing refrence at the very end of the movie.

It makes some sense at the very end.

okay, so we went and saw this last night.

tbh, i'm gettign to the point where i don't want to go see movies in theaters anymore; either its idiots who have their phones on (in Avengers we had a couple with a 5 year old sitting infront of us that was playing a game on the phone the entire time; why woudl you take a 5 yearold to the movie theater people!!) or stupid little idiotic teenagers who talk through the entire thing, of which i had to ask them to be quiet 3 times during the entire movie, and they were 3 rows behind us!

i like going to the movies, especialy with the all day matenee that lets us both go see a movie for $11, but between those idiots and then hearing Bubba rant about said idiots because he lacks the ability to tune them out it gets agrevating.

but i digress. onto the movie. there will be Spoilers below

- i didn't find the voice over for Bane to be that distracting, really the only distracting part was that i didn't expect that type of voice to come from him.

- i agree that the "healing" sequences didn't make a lick of sense, but this is a comic book movie so meh.

- i enjoyed this version of Catwoman emmesnly. she did wonderful on the potrayal, even if it did resemble Phiefers Catwoman a bit too much, i do wish that the actress hadn't shadowed that verson so much tbh.

- i still dislike them bringin in Two Face just to kill him off so quickly. i understand how they used it on a plot angle, but still i dislike treating characters like throw aways in that way.

- alot of the imaging in the movie reminded me greatly of Arkham City; which i loved btw :happy:

- the ending was good imo, i enjoyed that. i also enjoyed seeing Quinn from Dexter in his spot apperance as well, even if Bubba didn't put two and two together on that :laugh:

- i still would have preferred an alley other than Robin :dry: i'd have much preferred him to be Nightwing. but i think i understand the direction Nolan is taking this; he's not introducing Robin as a character but as a person to continue being Batman. though i can't see that actor being Batman.

- i'm glad they didn't kill Batman off, though i didn't catch the twist that he had fixed the auto pilot. Bubba is right about the fact they mentioned the auto pilot enough for it to be obvious though. i still cried though *nods*

- tbh, i'm a bit disappointed in myself for buying the "Bane is Al'Ghuls child" angle as long as i did. in the cannon Al'Ghul never had a son, he had a daughter *shakes head* i should have known, but i guess i was just taking it as a slight change to the cannon *shrugs* i liked the actress they picked to play natalia though, the look and voice was spot on imo. though i dislike how they twisted the storyline, she never wanted to kill Bruce, she loved him and bruce loved her. infact Bruce loved her so much he almost gave up Batman to be with her; he just couldn't stand what her father wanted him to become and what her father stood for.

- i chuckled greatly at the offhanded comment of "alligators in the sewers" i thought to myself at the time "nope not alligators but one bad ass crocidile" :laugh: i relaly hope that this means they'll be bringing in the Croc. seeing how Nolans doen so far witht he characters in this series, i'm looking forward to his interpretation of the Croc, Riddler, Pengiun and Scarecrow as well *nods*

- you know, the criminal passing sentencing on the good guys in Gotham. i can't shake the feelign that that may have been the Riddler. if he's not, the guy playing him would, imo be a great casting choice for the character.

someone mentioned not understanding how Bane coudl be her "lap dog" Natalia actually explained this. to Bane, Natalia was his hope that kept him from losing his mind in prision. he loved her, enough to die unquestioningly for her. he didn't all of a sudden become her lap dog, he was ALWAYS her lap dog fromthe day she was born in that prison. again, it comes to the fact of what she, as an innocent child, meant to him in that prison. she allowed him to keep his sanity and strength through his imprisonment. so yes, i can see where in this case, he woudl bend to her every whim and need in the way he did.

you know, the criminal passing sentencing on the good guys in Gotham. i can't shake the feelign that that may have been the Riddler. if he's not, the guy playing him would, imo be a great casting choice for the character.

That was the scarecrow, wasn't it? Same actor..

acualy yeah SD you're right. that actor is Cillian Murphy and he does play the Scarecrow

apparently i need to re-watch Batman Begins because he was one of the main antagonists in that movie, and made an apperance in Dark Night as well

:unsure:

tbh, i forgot alot about Batman Begins, i barely rememerb watchign the movie, though bubba says we saw it in theaters. i know we saw Dark Night in theaters, i was psyched to see the Joker; i had totally wiffed on anythign with the 1st movie though. i can't truely remember liking the first one much either.

ah well. i must watch it now *nods* maybe i'll be able to recall why it was so forgetable, considering Scarecrow is like in the top 5 for my fav Batman villians.

- i chuckled greatly at the offhanded comment of "alligators in the sewers" i thought to myself at the time "nope not alligators but one bad ass crocidile" :laugh: i relaly hope that this means they'll be bringing in the Croc. seeing how Nolans doen so far witht he characters in this series, i'm looking forward to his interpretation of the Croc, Riddler, Pengiun and Scarecrow as well *nods*

Nolan has said that he won't be making any more Batman movies.

Archived