DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heavy Metal?

Talmanes

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record Anette is a great singer.

the new nightwish singer? have you seen her live, it actually looked like she was havin a heart attack tryin to sing wishmaster, and dont even get me started on the mess she made of she is my sin, i mean yeah shes prolly good at britney spears style of music, but as a replacement for tarja, no. i understand trying a new direction, but to then get an untrained singer to sing the notes of their older stuff, bad idea.

Cool. Which One?  Myspace page?

www.neverlandofficial.com is the website :) Thank you for your interest.

Nice stuff. How did you guys get following? My bad has been playing for a few years now and we never got a solid one. It seems like there are no good venues around.

It takes time. First year 2-3 gigs, second year more, third year more and more and so... You have to stick to your ideals and never give up, sooner or later, the networking starts to give fruits.

We haven't announced this year's tourdates still, it will be the most crowded. Also, you constantly need to give out new products or something to keep people updated and interested. These are what I saw over the years :)

Well, I definitely admire your determination. I don't think I could handle the uncertainty of trying to make it as a band.

We have been around for 3 years now but I attribute the problem to two things. Our singer isn't very good, but we can't really kick him out. The Other thing is That the city I'm at doesn't really have any sort of scene. You either play at parties, bars, or the blind pig. In retrospect we should have spent more time in Ypsi and east Lansing.

It sucks because the other three guys are graduating in a month and a half. It's almost like whats the point, you know?

If you want it, its the whole point. You have to ask yourselves whether you want to be professional musicians or simply stick at keeping it as a hobby. Both have ups and downs. I won't lie to you, there are times where you have to pick one and sacrifice the other if you pick the professional career. Like I sacrificed my opportunity of becoming a bank branch manager and even a higher career but this was my dream and I am happy that it is going on somehow hehe.

About your singer, you can get him/her take singing lessons.

For the record Anette is a great singer.

the new nightwish singer? have you seen her live, it actually looked like she was havin a heart attack tryin to sing wishmaster, and dont even get me started on the mess she made of she is my sin, i mean yeah shes prolly good at britney spears style of music, but as a replacement for tarja, no. i understand trying a new direction, but to then get an untrained singer to sing the notes of their older stuff, bad idea.

Well I've never seen her live but she hits all the notes fine in all their new stuff.

shes not up tp standard live, i paid £130($197) to see them last year and had to leave the show halfway through in disgust. im willing to give her a try, but only if they lay-off the old music, as much as i love it. OOOh, does war of the worlds(jeff waynes musical) count as metal? its got some metally bits, though its mostly psychedelia, be seein that later this year. love war of the worlds... (not the recentish movie though).

:o

Wow! That is a lot...I paid £40 last year to see Nightwish here in the UK...and got 2 tickets for that money. I didn't think Anette did a bad job on the live performance. Her vocals don't really suit the old Nightwish stuff (which I prefer), but there is a stark contrast between the two sets of vocals.

For myself, I much prefer the old Nightwish stuff (for me, she was a large part of why I listened to the band). Naturally much has been said on the matter in Finland. Anyway, I can understand the new direction, though I don't really approve of it. Certainly it is very difficult to 'recruit' classically trained singers to heavy bands, also considering the touring schedules, as a classically trained singer will really have to take care of their voice. I am sure Anette is great for the new material, though, though it makes Nightwish more 'mainstream' and less unique. Since thusfar Tarja's career has not rocketed, for Nightwish fans, perhaps there is the hope that she will return to Nightwish after a few years.

Nightwish is a marketing masterpiece.

About the new singer, she is also a marketing masterpiece and I like her voice. The problem is, they didn't get a new singer with the main idea of having a fitting singer to sing the old songs, but they got a marketable singer with a completely different style.

People always fall into this mistake. Singer shouldn't fit into the music, music should accord itself with the singer. You can downtune a guitar or transpose a song. You cannot transpose the vocal chords or body of a singer.

What Nightwish did was a choice and I guess it was the fitting one. If they did pick a classical singer like Tarja, she would be under Tarja's shadow even if she was better. So, they decided to change the way of things and show something alternate. The consequence of this is Anette not being able to fit into the original tracks as they weren't meant for her voice.

I think part of the reason ACDC was still successful after Bon Scott died was that they went for a different type of singer so there was none of that comparison. Brian Johnson is ery different in look, sound, style and charisma. So I think Nightwish did the right thing.

Ehh not too bad but there are a lot better.

Some other good heavy bands:

Asking Alexandria

Nightrage

Children of Bodom

Dark Tranquility

Psychostick ( :D)

Some that aren't as hard:

Escape The Fate (not always hard)

Rise Against (they actually have some fairly hard stuff though)

H.I.M. (technically metal, they say they're genre is "love metal")

There are lots more, but I believe no one had mentioned any those bands so far.

For me metal is the only genre. My favorite bands are, Nightwish, HammerFall, Blind Guardian, and DragonForce

Ha ha ha Dragonforce! Can a band be too epic? I dunno, but I think dragonforce comes close.

I recognise their talent, and they have it, but... I still don't really like the sound of Dragonforce.

• 1 year later...

two things

i would like a Wheel of Time themed Mastodon track, that would be awesome, they are a band who is really good at thematic songs, and make the sogns feel the theme they are playing.

and in my head the Wheel of Time soundtack could as easly be a heavy metal soundtrack as it could be a celtic new age soundrack, i would be satisfied if Mastodon was asked to make the sountrack to Eye of the Storm, cause they know how to make intence, dark but also melodic colourfull songs and yet have enough depth and imagination to make fantasy related music, their style is based around writing music to mythical beast and heroes, it would be easy for them..

Archived