DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heavy Metal?

Talmanes

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Granted everyone has their opinion as to what heavy metal is, but, as a metalhead for 20+ years there is a supreme lack of heavy metal being discussed in this thread. Nightwish? Come on now.

I'm sorry I prefer my music to be more than screaming. Melodies are good, mmmm k?

Granted not all screams are good. There are so really bad monotonous one dirty vocalists out there. But there singers that scream so emotionally and so dynamically that it gives me goose bumps every time.

I think a large part of the effect comes from musical build up.

here are some of my favorites for musical effect:

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbEKflexkr0  Chiodos: words best friend become redefined

'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=250MNzctRsM  Fall of troy: dark trial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=250MNzctRsM  undreroath: breathing in a new mentality

underoath: to whom it may concern

Check out Thrice also. The Alchemy index is nothing short musical artistry. (especially water)

hope I can change your mind

-Rin

I'm sorry I prefer my music to be more than screaming. Melodies are good, mmmm k?

Wow, ignorance is bliss. Melodies are indeed good. Lots of metal bands have fantastic melody in their music. Check out Amon Amarth for an example of very melodic metal.

Ok I do agree that what I would call heavy metal, isn't being discussed here anymore, but there are a lot of different kinds of metal, and Nightwish is technically a type of metal group, and I do like Nightwish.

Scream vocals can have great sound and melody, and many bands that scream have good singers too.

I like many kinds of music, but my favorite is heavy metal/screamo/etc.

Wow, ignorance is bliss. Melodies are indeed good. Lots of metal bands have fantastic melody in their music. Check out Amon Amarth for an example of very melodic metal.

Screaming is not singing.

It's enough to make me worry where music will be in 20 years, when what I consider to be raw and heavy is really old and tame. I think techno is where music is going. It worries me.

On a side note, I have to say I respect you a lot more Alys for posting on this thread (as strange as that sounds). I never would have thought you would like music so much from the debates and discussions forums. This is supposed to be a compliment, but it came out all weird. Sorry.

-Rin

It's enough to make me worry where music will be in 20 years, when what I consider to be raw and heavy is really old and tame. I think techno is where music is going. It worries me.

You are a few years behind, music has already gone down the path of electro.

And rather that than what the new metal and rock bands represent, as 90% of that is utter crap.

On a side note, I have to say I respect you a lot more Alys for posting on this thread (as strange as that sounds). I never would have thought you would like music so much from the debates and discussions forums. This is supposed to be a compliment, but it came out all weird. Sorry.

-Rin

*dies laughing* Growing up, aside from fighting and making up with my twin, music was my only escape from a pretty crappy childhood. I had friends but few who understood me. I’ve always been different from most people (rarest personality type and all). So I can take that as a compliment. *nods*

I agree, btw, that I sometimes get worried about where music is heading. Then I find something fun and appropriate to my mindset and I relax a bit. I have to say though, I remember when metal went through its kinda sorta rap phase and now I see too much corporate influence. I remember the techno push, but I think it’s about passed, thankfully. At least, I stay away from anywhere that I might hear it. NIN techno scares me. It did fit Ramstein though (sp???).

I’ve always really liked a heavy bass line and anything that makes me want to mosh even if I can’t justify trying out the pit at my size. I am still loving some of the older bands new stuff, and I recently stumbled on the Sick Puppies. But don’t be discouraged that the old stuff still seems raw and heavy compared to the new. Just means it was really good. DON’T listen to current Chris Cornell solo though. The man has an amazing voice, but *shudders.*

Archived