DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heavy Metal?

Talmanes

Anybody?

I love heavy music, but if not heavy metal, it's almost always guitar driven.

Metallica, Tool, Opeth, Joe Satriani, Led Zeppelin, Scale the Summit, Alice In Chains, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Apocalyptica, Linkin Park would be my favourites.

I know it's not Heavy Metal, but what you class TOOL as? I ran into this debacle when loading up my mp3 player the other day, fixing up ID3 tags and whatnot. I settled on Progressive Metal, because Art Metal is a stupid name.

Prog Rock/Metal.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Maj, I never pegged you as the heavy metal type. You're right though, when it comes down to it, the Swedes are some of the craziest out there.

First Lp I ever got was Kiss 'Alive', my uncle gave it to me when I was about five. That could only end up one way ;D  \m/(-_-)\m/ 

I love Heavy Metal, but there's certain stuff I just can't listen to. I love progressive metal, thrash, power metal, and classic metal. I even like a good bit of hair metal. I really don't like Death, Black or Hardcore metal bands, some of that stuff is a little too much for me. There are a lot of those bands who are talented both as musicians and lyricists, but I just can't take the screaming and growling vocals.

A few of my favorites: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Dio, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Dream Theater, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Guns N' Roses, Megadeth, Metallica, Queensryche, Symphony X, Tool, Twisted Sister, Trivium, Mastodon (Really only their two latest albums), Pantera (Their first two albums) and a lot of others.

I love Metallica and Linkin Park, certainly not incredibly heavy though. My cousin is a Death Metal singer, she used to be in Tourettes Syndrome and Meldrum - not my style but i'm proud to say she's my cousin :)

First off that is awesome! :)

And Stanley I also love most of those bands. I however am into more hardcore music too. I'm not a fan of the low growls of Death and Black Metal, but I really like scream vocals that are a little higher or more audible.

The wall of death with Killswitch will do that to you. Unless you're Five foot nothing, and are afraid of tight spaces. Then please don't.

Aww... Just awww. At five foot nothing, this has been a bad point to me. I'd love to, but I know I'd be squashed.

I know it's not Heavy Metal, but what you class TOOL as?

I've seen it as everything from metal to blues (What kind of idiot... anyway...) to alternative. AND I laugh. Progressive is probably the best term for them. Unless you count awesome.

I know it's not Heavy Metal, but what you class TOOL as?

I've seen it as everything from metal to blues (What kind of idiot... anyway...) to alternative. AND I laugh. Progressive is probably the best term for them. Unless you count awesome.

Awesome.

And Stanley I also love most of those bands. I however am into more hardcore music too. I'm not a fan of the low growls of Death and Black Metal, but I really like scream vocals that are a little higher or more audible.

I definately agree with that. The growling can just get way too much. Have you ever heard of  band called Alestorm? They sing like pirates!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBW7MZhhLc4

The wall of death with Killswitch will do that to you. Unless you're Five foot nothing, and are afraid of tight spaces. Then please don't.

Aww... Just awww. At five foot nothing, this has been a bad point to me. I'd love to, but I know I'd be squashed.

Don't sell your self short. Some of the craziest people are the tiny women. I think my biggest injury was getting punched in the gut by a 5 foot girl.

-Rin

Love metal, or used to I guess. What I call metal is probably "easy listening" these days!

Lol any specific bands you're talking about?

Haha! I try to be careful about labeling music. The genres and subgenres are confusing enough without the misuse of the labels. I just like what I like and Nickelback isn't nearly heavy enough!

Yeah there are a lot of subgenres of metal, and Nickleback doesn't fit into any of them. ;)

Oh, no. Never would suggest that. Of course, hubby makes fun when I call them pop rock, but I don't know how else to classify them cause they aren't hard. They are the kind of rock you can play on pop stations, so it fits.

Hard rock is my light side. :D There will always be a soft spot in my heart for the old days of Staind, but I really like something with the heaviness of Slipknot or so.

Iron Maiden, Metallica, and yes I like quite a bit of 80's cheese metal. If you count Alice In Chains, and that kind of stuff, then that too. About as heavy as I can stand would be Pantera and Testament.

Death metal just gives me a headache. It takes incredible chops to play it, but the scream/growl vocals all sound the same....irritating. I need melody.

I also like a lot of older Metal, and Classic Rock.

I agree 100% with having great scream and sing vocals together being great.

It really adds to the effect of the song and I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA0xEZcfAuA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS9oXDU_8RY

Are two good examples. Both use a lot of singing in general, and the latter has no songs with only scream vocals.

Even though all their songs are getting to where they sound the same to me, I always like the singer from Disturbed and how he is able to scream and sing both instead of just growling all the time. Pantera and Testament do that as well. The metal I liked first, back when I was younger might be called "opera rock". Where the singer is obviously classically trained and interweaves that talent with rock/metal music. Early Geoff Tate leaps to mind, Bruce Dickinson, even the guy from Grim Reaper (what a horribly ugly guy but the vocals were cool), the guy from Savatage, sorry about not knowing names, my music trivia knowledge is pretty much limited to 80's cheese.

Actually, the guys with classical training are the only ones who really have staying power because otherwise the force needed to put out enough sound to hear throughout even an hour set a couple of times a month would ruin the vocal cords within a couple of years.

The problem with music is that bands make a sound that is great. They hit the charts for that reason... then the suits get involved and tell them they need to push it more mainstream to keep up sales and they can't evolve, only regress. And that's where I get bored. Keeps me looking for new stuff, or going back to the good old stuff that isn't just a rehash of everything the band ever did.  Balance is the key. I don't want everything to sound the same, but TOOL would not be TOOL if they cut back on the amount of bass in their music, if they didn't experiment vocally, if they weren't off-beat.

*cough* /rant.

In which case, why don't you pop by and help Sharon den Adel (WT's lead singer) win the position of Female Vocalist in the Band's dream band. ;) Plus I would call it more "Symphonic Metal" than "Opera Metal". Aesma Daeva would be a group I would classify under "Opera Metal".

Plus I think it is time I got involved in a music thread on the general board!  ;D

Archived