DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heavy Metal?

Talmanes

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a hard time separating the term heavy metal from the hair bands of the eighties who were truly, truly awful. Apparently that's not who you're speaking of, its just what the term brings to mind. (By the way, Metallica was cool, even in the hair band days.)

I think metal is ok. Seen Metallica and Iron Maiden a few times. Don't have that much passion for it, mostly listen to other things. Some ten records that would classify as the pure thing, they are sometimes good to listen. (I've collected samples of pretty much any musical style, except for the "must hear" things, some Dio and some Children of Bodom. ;)) "Nu metal" I cannot stand (would make for elevator music, except the elevator crashes down with all the jumping;)); when things start to sound more like Rammstein I become more interested.

Do you speak German and know what the Rammstein lyrics mean? If not you'll find that many of them are pretty disturbing. That being said they do have a few good songs, like Ich Vil(sp?) and Du Hast. Not all nu metal is bad either.

Metallica is also way better than Iron Maiden.

I know enough of German that if I scrutinise the booklet, I will understand what the song is about, though I would have to check a dictionary to know all the words. I like music that is not necessarily easy, as long as there is a point to it. If I only listen, I will not understand enough to make sense, probably, since my German is from school and I haven't spoken it in a long time.

Quite in the

these, I think I like the heavy metal elements in music more than heave metal, but I don't mind disturbing. :)

Well, to be fair to nu metal, I haven't listened to it much, not enough to get into probably. But there's much to listen out there, so I don't try to get into everything anymore. (I mean I don't really understand the appeal of rap, and have decided I don't need to.)

Oh but

would've been a better example of the second, and newer besides. :D

I hate rap too. But country is worse. It's not even music it's trash. Oh and I didn't mean a good disturbing (never said that before lol) it's pretty disgusting. Another good foreign band (for me anyway) is the Swedish Melodic Death Metal band Dead By April. They combine great scream and sing vocals for an awesome sound.

Some country I like, like these, though not sure if they qualify for country (to me they are more like pop songs *shrugs*). But it is a bit exotic hereabout  ;). Well, there's tastes to disturbing  ;D. My newest metal album, well not so new, is from a Finnish Moonsorrow, kind of progressive sort the album, only 2 some 25 minute songs.

I hate rap too. But country is worse. It's not even music it's trash. Oh and I didn't mean a good disturbing (never said that before lol) it's pretty disgusting. Another good foreign band (for me anyway) is the Swedish Melodic Death Metal band Dead By April. They combine great scream and sing vocals for an awesome sound.

Uhm...That is the first (and hopefully last) time I have heard DBA described as death metal ;D

is what Swedish death metal is about, DBA is just pop-metal. In Sweden, pretty much only kids listen to them.

I said Melodic Death Metal. They are far from Death Metal. I like them though because of the higher scream vocals that frequent Melodic Death Metal bands, Nightrage for example, although I do agree that DBA is a little poppy at times. And I do agree that Dismember is awesome; I hadn't listened to them for a while thanks for the link.

I used to write off country music too, I still don't like it, but I can see it has merit, and it's own trends and constructs. The only stuff I wouldn't class as music really are things like Enya and Whalesongs, it's more just tones than anything. But, then you get into the debate, what exactly IS music? If YOU think it is music, then surely it must be, or at least it is serving the same purpose.

I know it's not Heavy Metal, but what you class TOOL as? I ran into this debacle when loading up my mp3 player the other day, fixing up ID3 tags and whatnot. I settled on Progressive Metal, because Art Metal is a stupid name.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Maj, I never pegged you as the heavy metal type. You're right though, when it comes down to it, the Swedes are some of the craziest out there.

To those who don't like Heavy music, I recommend going into a mosh pit, circle pit, or any kind of pit. I hated the stuff, then went to a warped tour and was instantly hooked. The wall of death with Killswitch will do that to you. Unless you're Five foot nothing, and are afraid of tight spaces. Then please don't.

Also, i'm surprised no one has brought up Lamb of God up yet. I don't like all of their stuff, but they definitely have talent.

-Rin

Archived