DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heavy Metal?

Talmanes

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm, Graendal, don't take this wrong but you are weird. :) I checked the link and prefer to think of that as a meshing of semi melodic sounds. I can't think of any normal genre it might fit.

Ps: Am I really as crazy as they said when I said classical and hard rock go together?

Yea, well, it is probably mostly a lot of things come up during recording, that will not be used. Some things could be used in most anything.

Yea, I think classical can go together with a lot of hard rock. Depends on the classical, I suppose, but both can have a lot of things going on in them. Both take a little time to get into, too. Actually, now I think it is something very simple that would not go with classical.

Ps. And here a

. More of a heavy feel to this. (Well, I'll just add this so that, like can be inferred at latest from this third bit, I think these are just something made for fun and perhaps to give a glimpse to the recording studio. ) ;)

I love Metallica and Linkin Park, certainly not incredibly heavy though. My cousin is a Death Metal singer, she used to be in Tourettes Syndrome and Meldrum - not my style but i'm proud to say she's my cousin :)

Metallica not heavy.......  ???

hahahahaha :D

I agree with you, Rin, but I do try to not judge in that respect. Note that they are the number one mentioned band in the thread...

PS: Discovered that whatever it is that bugs me about the chick from Flyleaf's voice doesn't occur live. It's kinda weird.

Whoops, not saying Metalica is bad (even though it's not for me), just not heavy. My favorite band in Motion City Soundtrack, and they are considered pop-punk at best.

Flyleaf had me so confused. There was an add on the radio advertising a concert they were playing in and had a clip of there song. I thought it was some Paramore song. Then they said flyleaf. I was like "fly leaf? what the heck is a flyleaf?" I think the two sound very similar.

I take it you saw them live. Who else was playing?

-Rin

Metallica was heavy... then they lightened up.(After their bassist death)

Some of us grew up with 80's Metallica... the fact the put Metal in their name and parents hate them (except those that secretly loved them) know they were heavy for the time frame.

Ah, yes, I saw them live. And I don't think anything I have heard from Paramore is anything similar since this chick is a screamer and singer and Paramore (the itty bitty bit I have heard) is a straight singer and on the emo side. *shrugs* Someone else said the same last night though so maybe I have not heard the right stuff.

I saw them last night in Shreveport. They were the opener for Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace. So much heavier and better in concert than on the radio. Riot actually had a bass line worth talking about. :D

And yes, I realize they are on the lighter side.

PS 3 Days Grace said they don't care how you get their music, just listen. Even if you have to steal it, burn it or down load it. THAT is how music should be sold- for the love of it, not the cash.

It's not that I think they sound bad. The problem comes with the lyrics. I'm one of those who really listens to a song lyrics and what it's about. I have trouble really getting into a song about falling in love with dudes. Evanescence on the other hand has a few gender neutral songs. I like those.

-Rin

*cough* those are more emo and pop.

yeah, i am about lyrics too, but i really want the rest too. take that new band halestorm. that first song had nada to do with falling in love, make no mistake. chech youtube. pg 13 makes me not post it. it can be sexy or empowering or just fun.

her second is saying screw you, i don't belong to you.

there's also chicks that do the guitar like in coal chamber. so even though there's a good bit bad, not all women are equal. ;)

Not to be be a music elitist jerk face but, Metallica really isn't that heavy in on the musical spectrum.

this is heavy-

Yeah, that's heavy.... if only marginally heavier than the song I posted (did you even check it out btw?). I'd consider songs like Harvester of Sorrow, The Thing That Should Not Be, My Apocalypse, All Within My Hands and a good bunch of others heavier than that.

I think people tend to confuse or gloss over the fact that Metallica aren't just heavy, with "Metallica aren't that heavy", the latter of which simply isn't true.

Metallica was heavy... then they lightened up.(After their bassist death)

...And Justice For All is "lightening up"? St Anger? Death Magnetic?

Some of us grew up with 80's Metallica... the fact the put Metal in their name and parents hate them (except those that secretly loved them) know they were heavy for the time frame.

Yeah, heavy for their time frame, and considering their time frame is on-going....

Have you seen them live lately?

Un-related story time. I saw Chiodos a few years back at clutch cargos. Clutch Cargos was an old church that got converted into a pretty intimate concert venue. This church had a basement. When they played "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered" I was genuinely afraid the floor was going to cave in.

I did watch the clip. I dunno, it just seems kind of done by rote, and tame. I know i'm going to get slaughtered for this but it's just my opinion. It just seems kind of cheesy. Some of it is decent, but the whole "fight fire with fire" thing is just bleh. Keep in mind most my experience of metallica is listening to my brother play all of the song for the metallica guitar hero (and this clip). This is really why i'm not into a lot of 80's metal. So take it with a grain of salt.

*covering head from rocks about to be thrown*

-rin

I would never, not even under gunthreat, in any way see metallica as representative of 80s metal. That is an honour reserved for bands like Iron Maiden, Dio, Slayer, etc. Heck, even Helloween, in their own cute little way.

And remember kids, just because it is loud and has a lot f distortion, it is not necessarily heavy...

I liked Pantera for a long time, love the "classics" such as Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica etc.

Although some would say Metallica aren't that heavy anymore doesnt mean they are not Metal anymore. There are so many characteristics and lables in Metal such as Thrash, Death etc

Check this out :)

Metal_Genealogy.jpg

BTW Blasphemy! Metallica is Metal!!! :)

Sure they are. As I said, Crap Metal.

If I want to listen to some blokes who can not really handle their instruments, I listen to punk, not some bunch of greedy wannabees. metallica is the metal version of britney spears.

Sure they are. As I said, Crap Metal.

If I want to listen to some blokes who can not really handle their instruments, I listen to punk, not some bunch of greedy wannabees. metallica is the metal version of britney spears.

I'll give you Ulrich and Hammett aren't what they used to be, but Hetfield and Trujillo can't handle their instruments? Wow.

Archived