DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I have a question. Can anyone tell me what the references to fighting in the borderlands, particularly mention in Shinar was all about? I've heard it mentioned a few times post TGH in rereads about trouble in Shinar starting and mentions of lords riding against others, but it wasn't in reference to Taim and his stirring up the Saldeans. I've always meant to ask but keep forgetting. The only thing I can think of was maybe men didn't want to believe the Dragon had been reborn, but that seems just a little bit off. I never encountered an obvious reason for it.

I'm up to book 7 in my reread and don't remember an specific explanation being given. The only thing said is that the blight is quiet and maybe that's lead to the internal strife.

RJ must have been writing one of the bad guys the day he answered that question. I almost would have preferred a RAFO. Yet it's just another example of how much detail and thought went into the first eleven books of the series.

I have a question. Can anyone tell me what the references to fighting in the borderlands, particularly mention in Shinar was all about? I've heard it mentioned a few times post TGH in rereads about trouble in Shinar starting and mentions of lords riding against others, but it wasn't in reference to Taim and his stirring up the Saldeans. I've always meant to ask but keep forgetting. The only thing I can think of was maybe men didn't want to believe the Dragon had been reborn, but that seems just a little bit off. I never encountered an obvious reason for it.

Week 5 Question: Will Hurin the Sniffer return in any of the remaining books? Please? We miss him. Could you share some insight as to why you decided not to use him after The Great Hunt?

Robert Jordan Answers: He'll turn up again. He hasn't reappeared earlier because the part he had to play was a sidelight to the main story. You should be able to glean some of what he was doing, what effect he and the news he brought was having, from the news that came out of the Borderlands in the books following The Dragon Reborn,though.

So it probably had something to do with Hurin spreading word of the Dragon Reborn. That's news that has seldom been greeted with unalloyed joy. Inspiring some Borderlanders to fight? Quite possible.

Recently I've been re-reading The Shadow Rising, and something kind of caught my attention.

The passage in question comes in chapter 42 A Missing Leaf. Perrin notices the waygate in T'A'R is missing one of the leaves, and gets ambushed by Slayer. Slayer tries to draw him out into the open after he hides by talking to him.

"It was only a few hundred to begin, Goldeneyes. Just enough to keep those fool Whitecloaks off balance and see that the renegade died." Slayer's voice became angry. "The Shadow consume me if that one doesn't have more luck than the White Tower."

He's talking about Fain, of course, but what does he mean by 'more luck than the White Tower'? Why the White Tower, of all things?

If he's hanging around with the forsaken a lot, one would assume he's picked up some of their habits, disdain at these so called AS would be one of them. So maybe he just mean lucky to still be alive.

Week 5 Question: Will Hurin the Sniffer return in any of the remaining books? Please? We miss him. Could you share some insight as to why you decided not to use him after The Great Hunt?

Robert Jordan Answers: He'll turn up again. He hasn't reappeared earlier because the part he had to play was a sidelight to the main story. You should be able to glean some of what he was doing, what effect he and the news he brought was having, from the news that came out of the Borderlands in the books following The Dragon Reborn,though.

So it probably had something to do with Hurin spreading word of the Dragon Reborn. That's news that has seldom been greeted with unalloyed joy. Inspiring some Borderlanders to fight? Quite possible.

That is possible, though I never thought the borderlanders would stoop so low as to fight among themselves when they had the stalwart duty to defend the lands against the blight. If news came the DR had come, I'd be making swords and storing provisions and strengthening my defenses, not getting up to petty squabbling and even fighting others of my kind. Then there is the difference between knowing someday it would come, and actually having it happen on my watch.

That is possible, though I never thought the borderlanders would stoop so low as to fight among themselves when they had the stalwart duty to defend the lands against the blight. If news came the DR had come, I'd be making swords and storing provisions and strengthening my defenses, not getting up to petty squabbling and even fighting others of my kind. Then there is the difference between knowing someday it would come, and actually having it happen on my watch.

Well there could be DFs stirring up the trouble in order to further chaos as well. Keep in mind even Malkier, the most stalwart of nations fell to the treachery of a DF plot that stripped their borderforts, organized by members of the royal family no less.

Well, we see the usual pattern of the Dragon's announcement in other lands - some flock to his banner, some troublemakers use it as an excuse to go around killing people under the name Dragonsworn, and someone has to deal with the Dragonsworn. The Borderlands aren't short of people who are selfish, short sighted, and just plain nasty - it's just human nature. You tell the people that the Dragon is reborn, and some people see it as an excuse to make trouble. And remember, we've seen Darkfriends and Masema (who went crazy) so we know that the Borderlanders aren't just a bunch of people who nobly fight the good fight against the Shadow. We know there are some bad eggs, some people who make bad choices, some who are less than heroic. It is not at all unlikely that news of the Dragons rebirth stirred up trouble there.

When I was deconstructing Mat & Tylin and deciding whether I care enough to do an analysis, I learned that the first modern romance novel is called The Flame and the Flower.

Is it known whether the methods of seizing saidin and embracing saidar are an intentional homage to this? RJ must've known about the novel, as at one point in his career he was considering writing romance.

Why do the Seanchan prophecies say that Rand will have to bow to the Crystal Throne but the others give no indication of this?

Welcome to DM gpace!

First off the Seanchan have two sets of prophecies. The Karaethon and Essanik cycle. The Karaethon existed pre Hawkwings army travelling to Seanchan but it is thought the version Luthair brought with him(which is what they go off of) was tampered with by Ishmael. The Seanchan now view that as the "pure" version and think the earlier real version was corrupted because there is no mention of Rand bowing.

edit: ninjaed by Yoniy0

Edited by Suttree

The books only provide speculation about Tamyrlin.

just 2 theories from the books about Tamyrlin::

-first person to channel

-the person who made the respective ring

There might be some chance that Tamyrlin might have been one of these (instead of a person)::

-a group

-a location

-a material

-a creature

-some adjative

-something else

If Tamyrlin was a person, Tamyrlin would probably need to have been a male in order to be an incarnation of the dragon soul. The books do not specify either gender. One way to make sure would be to see if Rand's new memories include either or both theories; I take he gained all memories of his incarnations during his Dragonmount experience.

Okay, at the point where I am in book 4.

WHAT exactly is Fain? I know he's like an unholy cocktail of the evil of Shadar Logoth and a Darkfriend touched by the Dark One, but what is he actually capable of at this point?

He nailed a fade to a door. Did he overpower the Fade or was it just too afraid to do anything?

He also got the Black Wind to listen to him. How?

Edited by EmperorAllspice

Okay, at the point where I am in book 4.

WHAT exactly is Fain? I know he's like an unholy cocktail of the evil of Shadar Logoth and a Darkfriend touched by the Dark One, but what is he actually capable of at this point?

He nailed a fade to a door. Did he overpower the Fade or was it just too afraid to do anything?

He also got the Black Wind to listen to him. How?

According to Moiraine's discussions with him near the end of tEotW he was also touched by the Black Wind as well, so since he has survived the manipulations and absorptions of some of the greatest evils I would assume that he can gain some kind of influence over the Black Wind as well.

Also, in The Great Hunt, was The Black Wind specifically keeping Rand out of the ways? If so, then how did it know which Waygate he was heading for? How big is it? What is luck? Was it on a patrol from waygate to waygate?

The two are seperate but Fain seems to have influenced it's nature a bit...

Interview: Sep 2nd, 2005

DragonCon Report - Isabel (Paraphrased)

Question

In The Great Hunt when Rand, Mat and Perrin are trying to enter the Ways, Machin Shin is waiting there for them. It seems like Padan Fain has been waiting there for them. Is Machin Shin in any way related to the evil of Shadar Logoth?

Robert Jordan

In some ways. Machin Shin is linked or you might say drawn to that. It's not a matter of linked, but more attracted by. In much the same ways as I spoke about the evils being attracted to one another due to opposite polarities. (Shadar Logoth and the taint)

In the same way there is an attraction because Machin Shin was created in effect by the taint. It grew out. You can see is at a fungus that was constructed with the wrong type of materials. If you think about it as that way you get a more idea about its true nature.

Some more info for you on Fain...

Interview: Jan 25th, 2005

TOR Questions of the Week Part II (Verbatim)

Week 10 Question

Now that Shadar Logoth is gone, (cool way to get rid of it by the way), has the evil power in Padan Fain/Mordeth/the Ruby Dagger decreased any? Has it driven him even more insane? Or since the next book is called Knife of Dreams, will all these questions be answered in it?

Robert Jordan

The evil power in Padan Fain has neither decreased nor increased, nor has that in the dagger. The corruption in him was partly caused by the taint on Shadar Logoth, but it didn't constitute a real connection to the city. Remember that it was because he was Padan Fain, the Hound of the Shadow, that he was able to leave Shadar Logoth in his new condition after he merged with/absorbed Mordeth. (By the way, any other artifacts that might be lying around from Shadar Logoth would have the same long-term corrupting effect as the dagger. Fortunately, or unfortunately, any such thing would need to be metal or stone. The wood and fabric had decayed. It wouldn't have been pleasant to get a splinter from, say, a chair from Shadar Logoth.)

The destruction of Shadar Logoth has not driven Fain any more insane. I'm not certain he'd be able to function at all if he were any madder than he already is. But being insane doesn't make him any less dangerous, only less predictable. He no longer responds to situations or events in any sort of sane, logical manner. His abiding concerns are hatred of Rand al'Thor (and to a lesser degree Mat and Perrin) because he blames them for what the Dark One did to him in order to turn him into the Shadow's Hound, and hatred for the Dark One because of what the Dark One did to him. He goes after Rand because Rand is the easiest target in his mind, but if he can take a swipe at the Dark One or the Dark One's minions in some way that he felt would cause real harm, he'd leap at it.

Possible hint for AMoL in bold.

Edited by Suttree