DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who else hates Faile?

Reyoru

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriosuly perrin is so useless at the moment if he perished tomorrow no one would care.

as for faile i liked her in the first few books. until like perrin she went over to the deep end in later books.

nothing but a padan fain stab through the heart will remedy the annoying itch that is faile bashere and her husband the doofus

There were times I liked how they were acting more, or less, depending on the circumstances, but I like them both as characters very much, and found their love to be very well written. I think the entire relationship is another example of RJ's brilliance in character development.

In real life, there are always going to be incidents where we did not like our friend's choice of boy/girlfriend or spouse, or sometimes where our own choice of a partner is in fact disapproved of by those whom we call friends. And the point at which he is thinking of her all the time is how love is experienced for many though not all people at all times.

If in your own experience such things have not yet happened, give it some time and you will surely observe what is a very common experience (especially of young love).

Also the varying expectations they hold toward each other based on wildly different backgrounds of nationality and class--Perrin being the blacksmith's apprentice from the small and remote village hooked up with Faile being a young woman from royalty in a nation that seems a bit "hot-blooded"--this too happens in real life sometimes. Opposites sometimes attract!

I thought it brilliant that it was his old friend and mentor the elder wolf brother who actually gave him the best advice about how to relate to her.

I admit I was a little exhausted by how long it took to resolve the abduction, however. Yet that element of a protracted rescue effort so distracted Perrin that he became almost unstable in his consciousness of the other important elements of his world. And I hope that the new book touches on his regaining his moorings!

I love Perrin.  C'mon - he destroyed the Shaido for Rand and saved how many lives in world from their recklessness and hatred.

To completely flop Musenge's words, (male) marath'damane won that battle, rygar, marath'damane and men with strong stomachs.

Well, that is a bit like saying Admiral Nimitz doesn't get any credit for the Battle of Midway.

I thought it brilliant that it was his old friend and mentor the elder wolf brother who actually gave him the best advice about how to relate to her.

I admit I was a little exhausted by how long it took to resolve the abduction, however. Yet that element of a protracted rescue effort so distracted Perrin that he became almost unstable in his consciousness of the other important elements of his world. And I hope that the new book touches on his regaining his moorings!

I've always joked that Perrin lets a social reject who hates people teach him how to yell at his wife.  MUAHAHAHAHAHA  (Just so you know, I often replace "yell" with "beat" to make the sentence more hilarious)

I intensely dislike Faile. She is the worst character in the series, and has ruined perrin for me as well. I skip over those chapters in rereads.

Basically, he fell for the first girl he slept with, and its unfortunate, for him and us as the readers. He should have tenobia, davram, and faile all killed (in that order), take the throne of saldaea, and then marry berelain.

Basically, he fell for the first girl he slept with, and its unfortunate, for him and us as the readers.

What kind of series do you want WoT to be? :o  Tales of Perrin, Rand and Mat shagging their way across the world, sowing their wild oats before choosing who they fall in love with?

While I'm here I'll reiterate that I don't understand the Faile / Perrin hate - why read a book with elements you profess to hate? Rhetorical question :D

While I'm here I'll reiterate that I don't understand the Faile / Perrin hate - why read a book with elements you profess to hate? Rhetorical question :D

I'll answer anyway.

If we exclude all books with elements we hate, then we'd end up reading nothing.  There's always something or someone to hate in every story.  We're supposed to hate the DO and his minions here.

3P0 was pretty annoying too.  Never could stand Dr McCoy.  Are any of us really supposed to like Loki?  We are supposed to loathe Mordred.  And his dear sweet Mum, too.

It is pretty unique to have characters we hate among the "Good Guys", but not unprecedented.

There's always something or someone to hate in every story.  We're supposed to hate the DO and his minions here.

I can't think of anything I hate about the WoT series. Least of all the DO of their minions, they are pretty cool... I don't necessarily see them as 'evil' per se too. Strange comment I know, and not really sure how to explain it. I mean torturing entire cities ala Semi is not a nice thing, but is only defined as evil by our - i.e the Light's - moral compass. To Semi shes doing research :D  And who is to say whose moral compass is the correct one? Hopefully that makes a little sense at least.

Oh and by saying 'I can't think of anything I hate about the WoT series' I'm not saying its perfect and I'm a massive fanboy who can see no wrong in the books - though I think I'm borderline sometimes :p  Is just that there isn't an issue that I hate.

I take your point on board. But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna rant about how I hate faile. Sheesh the last person I would be attracted to us one who possesses sp? Such a bipolar temper - from a practical sense In the very least.

Me: goodmorning dear, what do you want for breakfast?

Faile: *throws knife to the head*

Ok maybe I'm exaggerating. A little. Maybe

I can't think of anything I hate about the WoT series. Least of all the DO of their minions, they are pretty cool... I don't necessarily see them as 'evil' per se too. Strange comment I know, and not really sure how to explain it. I mean torturing entire cities ala Semi is not a nice thing, but is only defined as evil by our - i.e the Light's - moral compass. To Semi shes doing research :D  And who is to say whose moral compass is the correct one? Hopefully that makes a little sense at least.

Oh and by saying 'I can't think of anything I hate about the WoT series' I'm not saying its perfect and I'm a massive fanboy who can see no wrong in the books - though I think I'm borderline sometimes :p  Is just that there isn't an issue that I hate.

I hate all Elayne topics in book 10.  Hate.

What kind of series do you want WoT to be? :o  Tales of Perrin, Rand and Mat shagging their way across the world, sowing their wild oats before choosing who they fall in love with?

Certainly not that, no, but id like to see him live a little before settling down with the clingy girl who followed him halfway across the continent and then manipulated her way into a war in his homeland. By live a little, i dont mean fighting trollocs and meeting the heroes of the horn, i mean taking up with a domani chick for a bit (which i certainly would like to do, after reading their descriptions) and maybe making some ornamental window decorations in mayene. Mat certainly has, and Rand as well, with his trio. Like i said, he fell for the first girl he slept with, and while i know 2 couples that were high school sweethearts, married, had kids, raised them, and are now retired spending winters in florida and summers in their cape cod beach houses, who are still together and very much in love, i just wish that somewhat cliche element (which i think is kind of corny) wasnt a part of perrin's storyline. as i said in my post yesterday, faile ruined perrin as a character for me, although i dont hate him for it, only her.

In response to your question about me hating something in the series and why do i read it if i do, i think the world it takes place in is large enough, with a broad enough base of main characters and pov's that you certainly do not have to be a fan of every one of them. I love the series as a whole, enjoy the books, and will read them and reread them until im old and gray, but i dont have to like every aspect of it. I think it does RJ credit as an author that he has created a world that is fascinating and realistic enough that i feel emotions about the characters as if they were real people. I like the majority of the characters (Mat is my favorite, by the way) and dislike five...Faile far and away first and foremost. That being said, i dont think she should be written out of it, as she did help to develop perrin into his current role, but i wish she had been portrayed as less pushy and several other adjectives which the mods would be all over me for writing.

Haha, well it seems you are all lost causes :D

Of course everyone has their own opinions and is entitled to them! I think I will rationalise peoples hatred of characters by surmising that at least they are provoking some kind of reaction - would be much worse if after reading their stories you concluded... 'meh, whatever'.

I have already stated how much I cannot stand Perrin and Faile a few times. *wink*.  Was not going to comment until I saw that someone called her beutiful.  I hope you will retract that, as even RJ describes her as having nose that keeps her from being beutiful!!  She needs to be captured and used by fades while perrin watches and they both need to be eaten by trollocs.

I hope we do not go through the whole series without some of the good guys being killed. I am still not over the fact that the Great Lord is going to lose. And Perrin deserves to die for for being ready to forsake the light for Falie.  Perrin is worse than Darkfrind, and at the root it is because of Faile.

Haha, well it seems you are all lost causes :D

Of course everyone has their own opinions and is entitled to them! I think I will rationalise peoples hatred of characters by surmising that at least they are provoking some kind of reaction - would be much worse if after reading their stories you concluded... 'meh, whatever'.

Meh, whatever.

Also, I'm Rand's son.

I have already stated how much I cannot stand Perrin and Faile a few times. *wink*.  Was not going to comment until I saw that someone called her beutiful.  I hope you will retract that, as even RJ describes her as having nose that keeps her from being beutiful!!

Yes but to Perrin she is beautiful despite that or maybe because of it. After all beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Wow sheikh chilli really has it in for her ;)

sheikh chilli has it in for just about every character in the series. Especially Rand.

Was not going to comment until I saw that someone called her beautiful. I hope you will retract that, as even RJ describes her as having nose that keeps her from being beautiful!!
Maybe whoever said it has a nose fetish?

After all beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
All things considered, is nose of the beholder more accurate in this instance?

• 1 month later...

Faile. Grrr, I  hate that woman.

IMO Perrin's little storyline (where he and Egwene met the tinkers) in tEotW was actually really interesting. Then She came along, and for the past eleven books all we've had is Perrin mooning over Faile. Example: Rand is fighting massive war to reunify Randland, battling forsaken, etc. Then cut to Perrin, who's having another spat with his jealous girlfriend. Not quite up to the same epic standards.

It's a shame, because Perrin was shaping up to be quite a nice character - a quiet balance between Mat's hedonism and Rand's awesomeness.

And it's all Faile's fault! >:(

Archived