DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why did you choose your name?

My husband and I started playing the ps2 mmorpg Everquest Online Adventures a few years ago. He had a name picked out already, and I needed a name that went along with his. Anyway, we came up with a long list of names, and finally had narrowed it down to 'Lostangel' The game wouldn't accept that name, so we changed around the spelling a bit and 'Lostangyl' was born. From there, I went on to make my own friends, and establish my identity in the game. All my characters there have some form of 'Angyl' in them. Hence, my online persona is Angyl; I just carried it over to here.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

None of my former nicknames seemed suitable for a WoT forum. Of the most prominent two, one was derived from a swearword (I was twelve, then it stuck) made unrecognisable by removing an all-important letter, and the other was a contraction of my last name, and sounded completely out of context in fantasy discussion (except in mmorpgs that is - it's Critt :wink: ).

Eventually I chose GoodGrief because I'd been using the phrase a lot and it seemed to encapsulate my relationship with my generation and the fine institution that is highschool. That is to say, mutual frustration. DM was the first place I used it and since then I use it everywhere.

It's finally starting to catch on offline. About time too. I'd yet to develop a nickname at Uni and was starting to feel quite naked.

Way back when I first got online I used the name Machin'Shin (actually machnshin because of character limits of the time grrr) because I was an approrpiately angst ridden grunge teenager. Hey, it was the mid 90s, what can you do.

Anyway, from my mach days I keyed up on the "break the bones and drink the Marrow" so when I started playing a rather nasty monster race in a pen and paper RPG I named him Marrowdrinker.

I kept that name when I moved on to an MMO called Dark Age of Camelot. And then when it was time to make a bot for my lovely lil Marrowdrinker Berserker, I named my bot Marrowlight (less filling, tastes great).

As I got all my e-spect in the game under my Marrowlight name, I stuck with it for a while....so while dipping into the land of WoT I decided to keep the Marrow for a first name, but I needed a good last name (mostly for Tarvalon, but wth might as well be consistant) and so I did some old tongue browsing last night...Rahien is Dawn according to one site, so Marrow Rahien is a good sub for Marrowlight.

And that's how it all came about. (You can tell I'm a history major, yes? :D )

Hm. I was in the middle of registering at another WOT site - and realized that I had absolutely no idea for a name.

Luckily, I decided to glance at one of the stacks of books in my den - and found two random last names that sounded decidedly WOT-ish, then added in something that sort of sounded like the first part of my name, Kayly.

Pretty creative for something so spur of the moment...

• 3 months later...
Because its been good enough to spark debates about the illogicity of it in various games of WarCraft 3, but unfortunately violated the WoW naming rules :(.

Found this site while browsing for mentions of the name I discarded long ago.

Hey there you fraud, nice to see people still pretend they are me.

I am the real AtheistMonk from Wc3 RoC - first Thrall on Azeroth October 2002.

Also going to plug my blog while I'm here, http://www.worldofming.com

Later.

• 2 weeks later...

I was researching some stuff for my writing, when I went on Wikipedia to check out where Mr. Jordan's names come from. I saw that Asmodean was a likely derivative of Asmodai, a demon, and followed that thread. Dantalion is the a Duke of Hell, and Commander of 36 Legions. Pretty cool. . .

Archived