DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

other series as epic (or close ) as WoT

1eric408

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if the following has been mentioned in this thread.

I recently got Black, Red, and White of the Circle series.  Had not yet started them; but from their back covers, I think they would be interesting.

Started Black Thursday morning; right now read through Chapter 25.

So far, very interesting.

Neal Stephenson's "The Baroque Cycle" may not be a traditional fantasy series but it is definitely epic,contains many fantasy elements and is mind-blowing in it's complexity and overall story arc. The first novel "Quicksilver" starts slow,but stick with it because it picks up pace in the second half.The second novel "Confusion" is when the series truly becomes great and the concluding novel "The System Of The World" wraps up the series better than most other series final book.It is hard describing the plot because it is so complex and far-reaching but it is well paced and definitely ties up all it's threads satisfactorily.The characters are great,as is the dialogue.this is just an awesome series that is well worth reading.

I recently got Black, Red, and White of the Circle series.  Had not yet started them; but from their back covers, I think they would be interesting.

Probably my favorite series behind WoT and LoTR.  Ted Dekker is just so good.  Reading his latest book in the series Green totally shocked me at points. My favorite author.  Interesting thing is is that he went to high school in the same town that I grew up in: Ukarumpa, Papua New Guinea.

I would like to voice my suggestion of the entire Ender series, the shadow books as well.  The shadow books that focus on Bean are a lot different than the core Ender books, but all together the epic is so huge and delightful to live in for a while =)

Also, I highly recommend Asimov.  Foundation series is AMAZING, and his robot novels are a lot of fun. 

The two series do such a good job doing completely different things thematically. I love the geo politics of the shadow series. so cool.

Black, Red, White, Green,

Showdown, Saint, Sinner,

Chosen, Infidel, Renegade, Chaos, Lunatic, and Elyon.

The whole massive Circle series by Ted Dekker, my favorite author. I'm currently rereading it. Great books.

The books in that second line, those are in Paradise series.

The books in that third line, those are in Lost Books series.

Just the books in the first line are in Circle series; Green seems to be the first chronological of it.

Wikipedia identifies these books and two others as The Books of History Chronicles.

Finished the 3 books on Sunday, November 8.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what I like, is when there is mostly just focus on one main character. A protagonistically driven series, shall we say. This is why I actually recall liking Sword of Truth series - although I never got the new releases since Faith of the Fallen - because I thought it had a fast pace and it was easy reading. I don't think it's as bad as people are saying, but it's been years so I'd have to see how it holds up now.

As for my suggestions, although it's also been years, I'd recommend the Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Haydon, and any of Dennis L. McKiernans books were fun although rather derivative from Tolkien. Although it's graphic novels so not really in the same vein, Sandman series by Neil Gaiman is also sweet, as is Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony.

I personally have the first book of Mazalan and Eragon series to read eventually, and also a friend recommended The Name of the Wind, which I saw mentioned.

So yeah. There's always tons to read and reread.

• 3 weeks later...

One series that hasn't been mentioned but surely deserves it is the Night's Dawn Trilogy By Peter F Hamilton.  It's a sci fi series but is as epic a world building effort as any i have read (including the Wheel of Time) and far better than most. Like the Wheel of Time universe the confederation universe of the Night's Dawn breathes and lives beyond the pages upon which it is printed.

I really enjoyed the first three Kushiel books by Jacqueline Carey. The way she added her own twist on European history and especially Christianity is pretty interesting. The later books in the series were a bit of a letdown, Phedre and Jos? sort of fade into the background and Imriel just can't carry the series himself. I still haven't read Mercy, does anyone know if Melisande ever shows back up? She is one of the great villains in fantasy.

David Gemmell was a great call by someone (you know who you are). Other good writers are Bernard Cornwell, Brent Weeks, Peter V Brett, and I can't believe people mention Jim Butcher without talking about the Codex Alera. Someone said to him that you couldn't write a good story with a crap idea, Butcher said "give me 2". The 2 ideas were the lost Roman Legion and Pokermon, Butcher has just released book 6 (i think it's the final of the series). What a guy!

I haven't seen anyone mention Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trilogy from the late 80's/early 90's.  While it has a familiar beginning in the first back, the series quickly cuts its own path through the rest of the trilogy by avoiding most familiar fantasy archetypes.  The last two books especially have a dark tone, but well worth the read.  IMHO, this is an underrated series, well worth taking a look.

I've gone through the Tad Williams trilogy a couple of times.  I loved it.  Good call.

You know what I like, is when there is mostly just focus on one main character. A protagonistically driven series, shall we say. This is why I actually recall liking Sword of Truth series - although I never got the new releases since Faith of the Fallen - because I thought it had a fast pace and it was easy reading. I don't think it's as bad as people are saying, but it's been years so I'd have to see how it holds up now.

As for my suggestions, although it's also been years, I'd recommend the Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Haydon, and any of Dennis L. McKiernans books were fun although rather derivative from Tolkien. Although it's graphic novels so not really in the same vein, Sandman series by Neil Gaiman is also sweet, as is Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony.

I personally have the first book of Mazalan and Eragon series to read eventually, and also a friend recommended The Name of the Wind, which I saw mentioned.

So yeah. There's always tons to read and reread.

I loved the first 3-4 books of the series.. enjoyed the next couple.. and struggled through the rest.  I cannot recommend the series to anyone because of that inconsistency.  The series became repetitive in two ways.  The first way was that Goodkind actually repeated over and over again events that had occurred earlier in the series for those readers that might have just picked up book 8 and started reading.  And, then it was situationally repetitive.  So, Richard's going to be captured/kidnapped again..and again..and again..  Plus, a few of the plot twists were terrible such as the ear worm.  And yes, Goodkind seemed to change religious views midway through the series and becamse extremely preachy.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably my favorite series behind WoT and LoTR.  Ted Dekker is just so good.  Reading his latest book in the series Green totally shocked me at points. My favorite author.  Interesting thing is is that he went to high school in the same town that I grew up in: Ukarumpa, Papua New Guinea.

Ok, after much deliberation, I had my decision made for me.  Someone got me a couple of Dekker books.  I started Black yesterday.  I haven't gotten very far, but it's fine so far. 

• 1 month later...

Raymond Feist: Current fav with all the books relating to midkemia etc

Peter V Brett: The Warded Man/The Painted Man. Good first book cant wait for more.

ASOIAF: Mentioned before but still Awesome series.

Terry Prachett: An epic writer

Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle: The Burning City. An interesting book with some decent character work I think.

Mickey Zucker Reichert: The Last Of The Renshai. An interesting read so far

Archived