DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

other series as epic (or close ) as WoT

1eric408

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song of Ice and Fire, I have read some portion of it; currently through its 3rd.

Also read Lord of the Rings.  It could be considered a sequel to Hobbit which I also read.  Also read their prequel, Silmarillion.

Plan to read the Mistborn trilogy after I have read all of Wheel of Time.

Something you could do is go in a library or bookstore and look in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi section; and/or ask one of their employees to recommend something.

I can't believe people actually read Goofkind's books.

So all you've really done is bring your ability to believe things, and spell, into question.  ;D

To the OP. I'd read Mistborn if you haven't. Warbreaker by Sanderson was so-so. More political intrigue than anything else really, but it was allright. I quit Elantris also by Sanderson like 3 or 4 chapters in. Too boring imho.

You've read all the David Eddings books? The Tamuli and all the ones with Sparhawk? And...Polgara the Sorceress and Belgarath the Sorcerer? Rivan Codex? Redemption of Althalus?

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I haven't read anything in a long time other than Mistborn that has been really good.

Twilight was..Tolerable I guess. It was entertaining sometimes.

Hell, read the Harry Potter series if you haven't already. Those are still good.

You could try the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony. There's tons of those. Also The Incarnations of Immortality is a good one by the same author.

Oh one more is the Godwars trilogy by Angus Wells. Those ones are allright too.

That's all I got.

Some fantasy series others haven't listed:

Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman - Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy - an entertaining, fast pace, fantasy series.

Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman - Dragonlance Legends Trilogy

Terry Pratchett - Discworld Series - a comedic (British humor) fantasy book series.

Since others are including SF books I will too:

Larry Niven - Ringworld Series - one of the best SF books I've ever read.

Larry Niven - Lucifer's Hammer - a great end of the world/survival book.

David Gerrold - The War Against the Chtorr Series - an alien invasion/survival book series.  Two warning on this series; one it is unlikely it will be finished and the other it does contain homosexual content.

Orson Scott Card - Ender's game series - I know someone else mention it but it is an exceptional book and a good series.

You've read all the David Eddings books? The Tamuli and all the ones with Sparhawk? And...Polgara the Sorceress and Belgarath the Sorcerer? Rivan Codex? Redemption of Althalus?

I read his The Belgariad series because others have recommended it, and I found it was just ok.  Does the other books you have named have better character development and the world not so Walt Disney? (Hopefully that doesn't sound like I'm trolling, I'm just trying to find out if I should read his other books or if they are the same style as The Belgariad series).

I read his The Belgariad series because others have recommended it, and I found it was just ok.  Does the other books you have named have better character development and the world not so Walt Disney? (Hopefully that doesn't sound like I'm trolling, I'm just trying to find out if I should read his other books or if they are the same style as The Belgariad series).

I don't know if I would call them "Walt Disney" but you are right that they aren't as full of dark more super adult things like other books. But they are entertaining. The Mallorean is basically the same characters as the Belgariad but they're older. Most noticeably so are Garion and Ce'Nedra.

The other trilogy I know of the three are called "The Diamond Throne" "The Ruby Knight" and "The Saphire Rose". Not neccasarily in that order. But I would say those ones are a bit more adult. Still a lot of the type of banter you would expect from Eddings though.

I would just suggest that you read them. My perspective is always going to be different than yours most likely,  so I would just read them. If you don't like them you can always stop.

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker.

First Law by Joe Abercrombie.

You can lock the thread now. Malazan is epic, if that's what you want. Prince of Nothing is probably the most un-Disney fantasy series out there.

omg Asha'man Kovan duuuude you said Xanth  ;D

i have em and they are a good read.

um.. Dragonlance  the Dragon trilogy and the Twins trilogy are good and the stand alone Soulforge and Brothers in Arms are great reads.

Elric series and the Eternal Champion series and Corum books the Swords trilogy and Chronicles of corum all by Michael Moorcock

Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson

Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore is great

omg Asha'man Kovan duuuude you said Xanth  ;D

i have em and they are a good read.

Hells yeah man. Those were like the first type of fantasy I ever read when I was a little kid. Besides, sadly...Redwall by Brian Jaques lol.

But yeah the good thing about those is the familiarity you get with them. It's also the bad thing about them though too. But you could read at least....15 of them before you started to get bored lol.

Goodkind is terrible...absolutely terrible.  What's with his rape fetish issues?  Almost every female character in his books is repeatedly raped.  That guy has some major issues.  And all he does is regurgitate Ayn Rand when he's not plagiarizing RJ.

Your opinion. The fact that his female characters either get raped or almost get raped, and not by far every single one of them, is that it's realistic for the type of brutal characters who do the raping or attempt to. You will also notice (If you'd actually read the books) that those guys usually end up getting killed in a pretty brutal fashion. Why don't you go somewhere and cry and rant about every C.S.I. show or law and order ever aired. You'd have more to go on.

Do you even have a clue as to what Ayn Rand's philohophy even was?!

And he doesn't plagarize RJ. I've read every book, in both series, several times. The only similarities are the unavoidable fantasy archtype themes. Learn to form your own opinion and not just spout what everyone else says over and over again. :)

Luckers or Maj or whoever sees this and tells us to stop, sorry. I'm already done though, I know you guys hate SoT as well.  ;D

Goodkind is terrible...absolutely terrible.  What's with his rape fetish issues?  Almost every female character in his books is repeatedly raped.  That guy has some major issues.  And all he does is regurgitate Ayn Rand when he's not plagiarizing RJ.

Your opinion. The fact that his female characters either get raped or almost get raped, and not by far every single one of them, is that it's realistic for the type of brutal characters who do the raping or attempt to. You will also notice (If you'd actually read the books) that those guys usually end up getting killed in a pretty brutal fashion. Why don't you go somewhere and cry and rant about every C.S.I. show or law and order ever aired. You'd have more to go on.

And he doesn't plagarize RJ. I've read every book, in both series, several times. The only similarities are the unavoidable fantasy archtype themes. Learn to form your own opinion and not just spout what everyone else says over and over again. :)

Luckers or Maj or whoever sees this and tells us to stop, sorry. I'm already done though, I know you guys hate SoT as well.  ;D

I actually own and have read both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.  Ayn Rand is far better at explaining her philosophies than TG's bastardized version of it.  And, yes I have read the Sword of Truth books (at least the first 4 or so).  They are terrible and TG sucks as a writer (yes, my opinion).  Besides which, we shouldnt' be discussing it as "epic fantasy" because in his own condescending words he "doesnt write fantasy."  If you like it, fine. I happen to think its terrible. No worries. :)

The only similarities are the unavoidable fantasy archtype themes.
No such thing.

because in his own condescending words he "doesnt write fantasy."
And he's willing to change the definitions of words like "fantasy" or "novel" in order to support that view.

No such thing.

because in his own condescending words he "doesnt write fantasy."
And he's willing to change the definitions of words like "fantasy" or "novel" in order to support that view.

Wow...we actually agree on something.  I'm stunned.

No such thing.

There aren't? Like...A simple woodsman or farmer or commoner rising to power and glory? A magic system? Different orders that use said magic? One of them comprised completely of women? Opposite sides to that magic? Those seem like  pretty common themes in the fantasy genre. Maybe not "Unavoidable" but certainly extremely common. Oh wait..I know, it's the Rada'han VS the A'dam? Right? I mean really...A collar? To control people who can use magic? Not like that's been around since at least the first time I saw my dad play D&D when I was like 4. :)

I actually own and have read both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.  Ayn Rand is far better at explaining her philosophies than TG's bastardized version of it.  And, yes I have read the Sword of Truth books (at least the first 4 or so).  They are terrible and TG sucks as a writer (yes, my opinion).  Besides which, we shouldnt' be discussing it as "epic fantasy" because in his own condescending words he "doesnt write fantasy."  If you like it, fine. I happen to think its terrible. No worries. :)

I'll be the first to admit that Terry Goodkind, as a person, is not someone I would want to hang out with. He's arrogant he preaches way too much and he does have some odd views. But he did write a story that kept millions of people occupied for quite awhile. So they can't be all bad. You don't sell millions of copies of your books world wide if they're that terrible.

At least we both like WoT. :)

There aren't? Like...A simple woodsman or farmer or commoner rising to power and glory? A magic system? Different orders that use said magic? One of them comprised completely of women? Opposite sides to that magic? Those seem like  pretty common themes in the fantasy genre.
None of those are unavoidable, and some aren't even common.
Oh wait..I know, it's the Rada'han VS the A'dam? Right? I mean really...A collar? To control people who can use magic? Not like that's been around since at least the first time I saw my dad play D&D when I was like 4. :)
When people accuse Goodkind of plagiarism, they do so not because of any single similarity - after all, one point doesn't mean much - but because they perceive a number of similarities, some of them things that are not too common in the genre. A collar to control magic users might not be original to either series, but it is not hugely common in the series as a whole, and the number of similar coincidences is what makes people cry foul. After all, femal only orders of magic users are not ten a penny either, not everyone has a magic system, still less one with two sides, different orders of magic users might be fairly common, but taken altogether, how many series have all these things? And Goodkind hasn't, if we can believe him, read WoT. All those similarities between the two series, all the ones that are not just standard fantasy fare, those that are a bit more unusual, how often do you see a series with so many of them? Not everyday.

You don't sell millions of copies of your books world wide if they're that terrible.
Popularity and quality are not the same thing. A book can be popular and good, or popular and bad. Dan Brown is an awful writer, but I don't doubt his new book is going to sell a lot of copies. So it is certainyl possible for a bad author to sell a lot of copies of books that are, by any reasonable measure, atrocious, simply because they manage to push the right buttons for a lot of people. It's terrible to think that a really good fantasy author like R. Scott Bakker isn't getting the success his books deserve because they're just not mainstream (although I doubt Davian93 would like them - there's an awful lot of rape in Prince of Nothing. Still, it's equal opportunities rape, rather than directed purely against women).

Archived