DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

other series as epic (or close ) as WoT

1eric408

Goodkind is terrible...absolutely terrible.  What's with his rape fetish issues?  Almost every female character in his books is repeatedly raped.  That guy has some major issues.  And all he does is regurgitate Ayn Rand when he's not plagiarizing RJ.

Your opinion. The fact that his female characters either get raped or almost get raped, and not by far every single one of them, is that it's realistic for the type of brutal characters who do the raping or attempt to. You will also notice (If you'd actually read the books) that those guys usually end up getting killed in a pretty brutal fashion. Why don't you go somewhere and cry and rant about every C.S.I. show or law and order ever aired. You'd have more to go on.

Do you even have a clue as to what Ayn Rand's philohophy even was?!

And he doesn't plagarize RJ. I've read every book, in both series, several times. The only similarities are the unavoidable fantasy archtype themes. Learn to form your own opinion and not just spout what everyone else says over and over again. :)

Luckers or Maj or whoever sees this and tells us to stop, sorry. I'm already done though, I know you guys hate SoT as well.  ;D

I actually own and have read both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.  Ayn Rand is far better at explaining her philosophies than TG's bastardized version of it.  And, yes I have read the Sword of Truth books (at least the first 4 or so).  They are terrible and TG sucks as a writer (yes, my opinion).  Besides which, we shouldnt' be discussing it as "epic fantasy" because in his own condescending words he "doesnt write fantasy."  If you like it, fine. I happen to think its terrible. No worries. :)

I'll be the first to admit that Terry Goodkind, as a person, is not someone I would want to hang out with. He's arrogant he preaches way too much and he does have some odd views. But he did write a story that kept millions of people occupied for quite awhile. So they can't be all bad. You don't sell millions of copies of your books world wide if they're that terrible.

At least we both like WoT. :)

So did Stephanie Meyer...;)

We both agree on WoT though...to each his own.  I will give Goodkind this much: He at least is a passable writer.  He not brutal to read like a Chris Paoli.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker.

First Law by Joe Abercrombie.

You can lock the thread now. Malazan is epic, if that's what you want. Prince of Nothing is probably the most un-Disney fantasy series out there.

All of these are great series.Erikson(malazan)already has I think 9 out in his series and consistantly puts out about a book a year(yeah-no interminable wait).

I would suggest The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore also any series by Salvatore set in The Forgotten Realms such as The Cleric Quintet, or any of his Drizzt series.

I also am not a fan of Goodkind.  I found his writing dry and boring.  It was a chore for me to get through his first Shannara book.

C.S. Lewis wrote a great trilogy called "The Space Trilogy" that's allegorical and delightful.

Also, I really enjoyed Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Barsoom Series" about a man, John Carter, a soldier in the American Civil War who finds himself transported to Mars.  It's well written and there are plenty of books to keep you occupied.  Also, they are short and quick to read.  he's an older author, his first book in the series was published in 1912.  Interestingly, he was also the man who created Tarzan.

I suggest any of these.

You've read all the David Eddings books? The Tamuli and all the ones with Sparhawk? And...Polgara the Sorceress and Belgarath the Sorcerer? Rivan Codex? Redemption of Althalus?

I read his The Belgariad series because others have recommended it, and I found it was just ok.  Does the other books you have named have better character development and the world not so Walt Disney? (Hopefully that doesn't sound like I'm trolling, I'm just trying to find out if I should read his other books or if they are the same style as The Belgariad series).

I don't know if I would call them "Walt Disney" but you are right that they aren't as full of dark more super adult things like other books. But they are entertaining. The Mallorean is basically the same characters as the Belgariad but they're older. Most noticeably so are Garion and Ce'Nedra.

The other trilogy I know of the three are called "The Diamond Throne" "The Ruby Knight" and "The Saphire Rose". Not neccasarily in that order. But I would say those ones are a bit more adult. Still a lot of the type of banter you would expect from Eddings though.

I would just suggest that you read them. My perspective is always going to be different than yours most likely,  so I would just read them. If you don't like them you can always stop.

I think the bit where the main characters watch as a girl castrates the man who raped her in "The Sapphire Rose" was pretty hard core.

You've read all the David Eddings books? The Tamuli and all the ones with Sparhawk? And...Polgara the Sorceress and Belgarath the Sorcerer? Rivan Codex? Redemption of Althalus?

I read his The Belgariad series because others have recommended it, and I found it was just ok.  Does the other books you have named have better character development and the world not so Walt Disney? (Hopefully that doesn't sound like I'm trolling, I'm just trying to find out if I should read his other books or if they are the same style as The Belgariad series).

I don't know if I would call them "Walt Disney" but you are right that they aren't as full of dark more super adult things like other books. But they are entertaining. The Mallorean is basically the same characters as the Belgariad but they're older. Most noticeably so are Garion and Ce'Nedra.

The other trilogy I know of the three are called "The Diamond Throne" "The Ruby Knight" and "The Saphire Rose". Not neccasarily in that order. But I would say those ones are a bit more adult. Still a lot of the type of banter you would expect from Eddings though.

I would just suggest that you read them. My perspective is always going to be different than yours most likely,  so I would just read them. If you don't like them you can always stop.

I think the bit where the main characters watch as a girl castrates the man who raped her in "The Sapphire Rose" was pretty hard core.

True that. I'ts been awhile. I'd actually forgotten about that part lol.

I probably blocked it out subconsciously or something.

All of these are great series.Erikson(malazan)already has I think 9 out in his series and consistantly puts out about a book a year(yeah-no interminable wait).
Yes, the ninth Malazan book (of ten) was released recently, and w2e can expect the last book next year. Of course, a book a year is only a good thing if they're good books, and Malazan is increasingly a mess. An spectacular, often enjoyable mess, a mess that does not lack for ambition, but still a mess. These are first drafts, and it shows.

I also am not a fan of Goodkind.  I found his writing dry and boring. It was a chore for me to get through his first Shannara book.
Terry Brooks wrote Shannara. Goodkind wrote Sword of Truth.

To the OP. I'd read Mistborn if you haven't. Warbreaker by Sanderson was so-so. More political intrigue than anything else really, but it was allright. I quit Elantris also by Sanderson like 3 or 4 chapters in. Too boring imho.

You should have stuck it out.. trust me Elantris gets better... or at least it did for me ^.^

The Song of Ice and Fire is kind of the dark horse when it comes to books I've read. A billion people told me to read Enders Game. It was ok. Then my girl friend lent me this series that I had never heard of. Wow so good. SO DIRTY. It's like jerry springer meets the game of houses. Can't say enough about it. I just hope it get finished before the Author pulls a RJ.

Yeah I've never heard of Terry Pratchett either... when my husband lets me go buy books I'll get some ^.^ He has to watch how many books I get because I go WAY overboard and buy to many haha... yeah I'm not allowed to go shopping alone period haha

I'll leave that one wayyyy alone. ;) Lol. jk jk.

And you have my thanks haha ^.^

I am looking for a new series to read

I have gone through WoT,Tiger and Del, Star Wars (like 40 of them so far) Sword of Truth, and all the david eddings books and a couple of others but do any of you guys have any recommendations

The old and new testaments.They are very epic in scope,with wars and battles,magic up the yin yang,vengeful gods,dastardly villains and noble heroes.I'm not sure who the author is but you can usually find it in any hotel or prison. ;)

On a serious note though,I have just read two novels by Lynn Flewelling titled "The Bone Dolls Twin" and "The Hidden Warrior".They are the first two of a trilogy and are both excellent.I don't want to go into a summary because I'd probably spoil it for you.I read mainly fantasy,and this is probably the best I've read in awhile.

Also there is a finished trilogy by an author named Brian Ruckley that was pretty good.I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet,but it's worth reading.

Goodkind is terrible...absolutely terrible.  What's with his rape fetish issues?  Almost every female character in his books is repeatedly raped.  That guy has some major issues.  And all he does is regurgitate Ayn Rand when he's not plagiarizing RJ.

Here's something I read  in another forum:

Even apart from Terry Goodkind being a horrible writer he's a tasteless jackass. Like two weeks before Robert Jordan died -- of a deteriorating heart condition that was public knowledge -- Goodkind made a long blog post about what great shape is own heart was in. Like stealing that man's books wasn't enough. ..

One of my favorite printer's errors was when TOR published one of Goodkind's books was printed with a copyright page stating "This book copyright [date] by Robert Jordan."

Here's something I read  in another forum:

Even apart from Terry Goodkind being a horrible writer he's a tasteless jackass. Like two weeks before Robert Jordan died -- of a deteriorating heart condition that was public knowledge -- Goodkind made a long blog post about what great shape is own heart was in. Like stealing that man's books wasn't enough. ..

One of my favorite printer's errors was when TOR published one of Goodkind's books was printed with a copyright page stating "This book copyright [date] by Robert Jordan."

Please, stay on topic. I'm sure your deep personal views that you copied and pasted from somewhere else are very important to you, but still. :)

Archived