DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reading other Series while waiting for AMOL!

anamul

I have been reading some other series recently.A lot of them, but I only liked a few of them. Many people posted their own suggestion here, specially the series they liked to read. So I am feeling obligated to post my own best choices. While at it, I am very regretfull to say that, AMOL is no longer my first to read due list.The long wait and arrival of two new very good series has drove it off my mind. It is sad, because WOT was at my top list for a long long time. But if it just so happens that, AMOL and Jack Campbells 5th book of "The lost Fleet" appear at the same time, I will read "The lost fleet" first. Really sad, but it can't be helped. So there goes my suggestion:

1.The Lost Fleet(Jack Cambell or John G. Hemry)(science fiction)

2.Tairen Soul by  C.L Wilson.

3.Cronicle of the Necromancer( Gail Z. Martin)

4.Green Rider(by Kristen Britain)

5.The Kingdom of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes

6.Tears of Artamon by Sarah Ash.

The lost fleet is first paced and action packed with full of suspense.There will be total 6 books in the series, four is already out and the 5th is due in 2009.

The Tairen Soul is an Excellent love story in a fantasy world.The usual struggle between good and evil with a nice blend of Magic. Two book is out, The Third will be published in Sept 30. CAN'T WAIT. There will be total four book in the series.

The Green rider has three book out so far. The third book has slowed down considerably. And be aware that it has a majore irritation issue. But over good read.Still I would like to know the reason behind that character's illogical behaviour.Cause it doesn't make any sense.

The Cronicle of Necromancer has finished one phase. The Author had pretty much solved every issue in the two books. But I am not sure wheather there will be a third book.

The Kingdom of Thorn and bone is completed. Very Good read. Liked it.

The Tears of Artamon is also completed in three books. Liked it very much.

So there goes my two cents.You may like these series or you may not. As I said before, those are my kind of books.  ;D ;D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I liked Belgariad and The Mallorean too. Also Elenium and Tamuli.Only thing I have to complain about David Eddings series is "Too much and too many god and godess". Still, it is a minor issue and enjoyed the series despite that.

I couldn't get through the Runelords. I got through the first three books and then I stopped when I realized what I was doing. I was forcing myself to sit through characters I didn't care about, and a story that was being pushed on by these wholly unbelievable and one-dimensional characters.

I honestly didn't care about a single character. And because the story was character driven, I couldn't care about the story. Every time something happened to the characters, I felt like I was supposed to care, but the event was portrayed so blandly that I couldn't care.

Oh well.

What really bugs me concerning Edding's novels is that he never change. Sure the enviroment changes and but never the characters you can take each character from either one of his novels and put them into another one and the only difference there would be would be a name. Same thing with the story, always the same set backs, traitor etc etc. Belgarion and Mallorea was a good read seeing it was my first exposure to his novels but after that I got disapointed.

I actually enjoyed the Runelords, but it's been a long time since I've read them (and there's like two or three ones I've missed.) Something about the endowments and the magic system really got my interest.

I enjoyed the Belgariad and Mallorean, but again it's been a loooong time since I've read those. That was actually my first fantasy series.

I've been reading the Dresden Files and enjoying those.. though it's set in a more modern universe, it's got a cool twist on a lot of the creatures in the fantasy realm.. plus there's magic.

What really bugs me concerning Edding's novels is that he never change. Sure the enviroment changes and but never the characters you can take each character from either one of his novels and put them into another one and the only difference there would be would be a name.

I must agree with you here, I remember reading the book The Redemption of Althalus and thinking that all the characters were Silk from the Belgariad.

I actually enjoyed the Runelords, but it's been a long time since I've read them (and there's like two or three ones I've missed.) Something about the endowments and the magic system really got my interest.

Yes, I agree.  That part is awesome.  But the characters just aren't.

I read the first two of Green Rider and pretty much hated it.  First book was best, but the second really started to slow down.  Also, there wasn't really all that much of a plot in the second one, so it was weird.  I gave up on the series before the third book.  I have to make a note to read A Song of Ice and Fire, that seems to get good reviews across the board.

I've read the Troy series by Gemmell which was interesting and abit different. I've read The Elenium, Tamuli, Belegariad and Malloreon by Eddings. Enjoyed the elenium and tamuli as first exposure to eddings but the other series was basically a copy as others have stated. Although I liked the knightly orders in the Elenium.

I'd recommend Joe Abercrombie's The First Law Trilogy, which is now complete. The first book is The Blade Itself. Quite funny and dark in places, and definitely fairly adult, but with some awesome characters and situations.

As was said upthread, Greg Keyes' Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone (starting with The Briar King) is a splendidly enjoyable series, although the books do get a bit weaker as it progresses.

JV Jones' Sword of Shadows series (starting with A Cavern of Black Ice) is superb.

Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen is even bigger and more complex than WoT. It doesn't start as 'easily' though and takes no prisoners. If you can stick with it, well worth a read, although the later books do go off the boil a bit. The first book is Gardens of the Moon.

A Song of Ice and Fire goes without saying. But I'll say it anyway. A lot of GRRM's other works are excellent as well, particularly his Dreamsongs collection and the novel Fevre Dream.

Paul Kearney is an excellent and much-underread author. Look out for his new novel, The Ten Thousand, which is due out next month.

In science fiction I'd recommend pretty much anything by Peter F. Hamilton, Alastair Reynolds, Richard Morgan and David Brin.

Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy is pretty good. Its a bit slow, and has some downtimes, but overall its an enjoyable read. The first book is called The Dragonbone Chair.

I've also heard Raymond E. Feist has some good books, but I haven't read any of his books yet.

First, I have to say A Song Of Ice and Fire. Amazing. But me personaly am stuck waiting for the next book in that series too. ugh.

Eddings is good, and RA Salvatore rocks.

IM gonna have to read the Gardens of the moon and its series (something book of the fallen, im to lazy to look back and check) my cousin says its awesome and so do some of you.

But mostly, George RR Martins ASoIaF, or a good re-read of WOT, which is what im doin now.

Wow - some good reads listed here!!

let me start off by saying a Song of Ice series is prolly one of the best series I have ever read and I am also concerned with the lengthy time between books for that series, George is not a young man.

David Eddings Belgariad and Mallorean was a fun read, but too me seemed a bit adolescent, started to read the Ellenium but Sparhawk just annoyed me.

The Deryni series by Katharine Kurtz was an enjoyable time as well.

The Morgaine books (there are 4 not just the three in the omnibus) and the Fortress series by CJ Cherryh is an awsome read as well.

I am sick to death of all the Shanarra stuff Brooks spews forth.

the two Farseer trilogies by Robin Hobb and the entire Sword of truth series get an honorable mention to pass the time

And then there are the classics, Micheal Moorcocks Melnibone series, HP Lovecrafts time machine , Edgar Rice Borroughs Jon Carter of Mars series, Jules Vernes 20,000 Leagues and Journey are great reads as well.  And then there are the Diamonds that I randomely pick up, If you like a true fairy tale pcik up the "Unlikely Ones" you wont be disapointed - not 100% sure of the authors name but I believe it to be mary Brown or sumsuch ...Ach!!! I forgot to mention the Lord of the Isles series by David drake - quite the fun read too.

I knew RA Salvatore on EverQuest...

I've been reading Orson Scott Card, Olivia Butler, Stephenie Meyers (somehow I read both The Host and Breaking Dawn in 4 days total, but can't get through some others in 3 weeks), Angie Sage (Septimus series, need to read Physik), and a few others.  I also just listened to Crossroads of Twilight over again since I was finally able to get Knife of Dreams from the library... only 50 pages in so far.

I picked up some of the Ender's series by Orson Scott Card. The first book, Ender's Game, short and simplistic but its sequels Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. I haven't started into the Ender's Shadow part of it yet, I decided I needed another re-read of WOT.

I have read the first books of 'A song of Ice and Fire' and 'Tale of Malazan Book of the Fallen' by G R R Martin and Steven Erikson respectivly. I liked both and defently plan toe read the rest of aSoIaF, and may read the rest of Malazan.

I also enjoyed Raymond E Feists riftwar trilogy.

I also like Sword of Truth (though i know most here hate it with a passion).

A non fantasy trilogy i liked was Tim Severin's Viking.

Archived