DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reading other Series while waiting for AMOL!

anamul

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmm,I really recomend the Malazan book of the fallen series...It's proportions and mythology are at least as big as the WoT series.... the characters are so alive,so real,so....You know,I've read the published novels twice,and I still get surprised when reading it for the third time.....and all the painfull and brutal scenes...these series are made in heaven  ;) So,if you're interested,the first book's called The Moon Gardens

Yeah, it could have been.  I've read some of L.E. Modesitt, Jr.'s scifi (The Parafaith War, The Octagonal Raven, The Ethos Effect, and the Eternity Artifact) which I enjoyed.  I'll try out the Recluse series.

Yeah, Recluse Series is good. The Magic of Recluse should be the last book, if you like to read it in sequence.So Magi of Cyador should be the first book to read. I have just finished reading Recluse.

The great book, for me in this month was 3rd book of C.L Wilson's  Tairen Soul seires.Really great romance fantasy saga.It was well worth the money, really entertaining.

Read some other, but won't recommend them, cause I didn't like them.

I've read and liked:

Stephen Lawhead - read the Song of Albion Trilogy and am into the King Raven one now.

Brandon Sanderson - I really like the Mistborn series, Elantris was good too.

Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials was excellent.

I just started A Game of Thrones again - and I'm not sure yet. I started it about ten years ago and couldn't finish it, but I'm older and wiser now, so maybe I'll like it.

I read many of the Sword of Truth Series but stopped after Pillars of Heaven. Maybe I'll pick it up again. Same complaint as everyone else - Richard and Kahlan find eachother, get seperated, find eachother, get seperated, etc. Richard gets more and more preachy as time goes on, eh.

Nick Sagan's Idlewild, Edenborn and Everfree rock.

Chuck Palanhiuk's Diary was hysterically funny and weird.

I used to read Anne Rice when I was a kid and thought maybe I'd reread them (Mayfair Witches and Vampire books) as an adult to catch the stuff I didn't get in the first place.

I love Charles de Lint books - particularly Svaha, The Little Country, Memory and Dream.

I find that there really aren't any other fantasy series that I want to get into - I have high expectations now after WOT. I usually read through WOT once or twice a year and have been doing that for the last 10 years. It's weird, but I find I miss them when I'm not in the midst of them. I will take notes on some of the other suggestions here and check them out.

Thanks! Great thread.

Salvatores drizzit books are based in the forgotten realms its "shared world fantasy" or something like that. i.e. many authors same setting.  Everquest is part of that setting.

I highly recommend Salvatore's books the forgotten realms ones and the others.  They were the first fantasy books i read (well excluding lord of the rings) and i havent looked back.

focus on action

The northern bit of the Forgotten Realms is called Icewind Dale and there are two computer games in the Forgotten Realms series set there. Is there perchance a connection between the games and the novels?

No, the games are set about 60 years before any of the familiar characters from the books settle in Icewind Dale. Drizzt does make cameo appearances in the Baldur's Gate series (made by the same people) and Neverwinter Nights is partially set in the city of Luskan, which appears in several Drizzt books.

Salvatores drizzit books are based in the forgotten realms its "shared world fantasy" or something like that. i.e. many authors same setting.  Everquest is part of that setting.

No, it isn't. The Forgotten Realms are the nations and city-states of the continent of Faerun upon the planet Abeir-toril. They were created by Ed Greenwood as a setting for his fiction in 1967, and were adapted as the location for his home D&D campaigns starting in 1978. He started writing articles for DRAGON Magazine at the same time, and referred to the Realms frequently. In 1987 Greenwood and Jeff Grubb transformed the Realms into an official D&D setting, with game products and novels set there being released ever since. Additional 'editions' of the Forgotten Realms setting were released in 1993, 2001 and 2008, and the setting is owned by Wizards of the Coast.

EverQuest is set on the world of Norrath, which was created between 1996 and 1998 by John Smedley, Brad McQuaid, Steve Clover and Bill Trost, and first appeared with the release of the original EverQuest computer game in 1999. The world was updated frequently through patches and expansions, and gained a sequel in 2004. EverQuest created the modern MMORPG genre which World of WarCraft was heavily based on. The setting is owned by Sony Online Entertainment.

A couple of the EverQuest novels were written by Elaine Cunningham and Scott Ciencin, who have also written Forgotten Realms fiction. Otherwise there is zero connection between the two settings. They are different worlds created more than thirty years apart for different mediums.

sooooo I scaned the thread and didn't see this one and wandered if anyone else has read it the rift war saga by Raymond E. Feist. He's a great writer and the books are amazing I know it's crazy but they easily compare to WOT in my opinion. I've read them maybe four times, and I'm gonna start reading his other stuff once I get done reading through again.

George R. R. Martin is by far the greatest Adult fantasy writer out there! I agree that he is brutal. I agree that there is no clear cut "good vs. evil", good people do bad and bad people do good from time to time. Some of my favorite character´s of all time are from aSoIF.

Laurell K. Hamilton, in my opinion, write´s better and more believable vampires than Anne Rice. I have read and re-read her books many time´s, and they always get me hooked. Start with "Guilty Pleasure´s" in her "Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter" series. Adult´s only though. Language and sexual scene´s in the later books.

How could "Guardian´s of the Flame" NOT be mentioned in this thread!?!? Another excellent read.

Guardian’s of the Flame Book 1: The Sleeping Dragon - Joel Rosenberg

The Kushiel book´s are very good. She actually is able to make the more adult scenes intricate to the overall story, which....let´s face it....isn´t very easy to do. And her take on religion and the different Gods of different people´s is unique and interesting.

Adult scene is all well and good as long as they coincide with the actual plot. But when they seems to dominate a book, it becomes irritating.I have the misfortune to read some such books and unfortunately, most of these writers are female. And the main theme of their book seems to become sexual fantasy. And the plots become ridiculously simple.

These books verges on the edge of becoming purly errotic. And you will see their difference with George RR Martin, Robert Jordan, Sanderson and some other writers becomes abysmally huge. While these writter potrays all aspect of life including sex in a right proportion and mantaine an intricate plot, the other whose books main theme become sex, doesn't have much in a way of life, novelity or intrigue.

While books like WOT thrives on excellent plotline, intrigue, culture and  friction between personality...etc these other books come no way neer the standard.

It is giving the female writers a bad name, since some people began to question wheather or not these female writer have any talent on literature of any sort except errotics. Or if they are purely using errotic scene to get their book sold. 

Exception:

Gail Z Martin

CL Wilson

Asaro Catherine

Haydon Elizabeth

Berg Carol

Ann bishop

Kurtz Katherine

Mercedes lackay.

and few others.

I haven't read Kushiel yet...so I don't know about her.

Funny Review: On Amazon there was a review on Ann bishop...warning the reader of "Taboo sex". The irony is it is a false alarm. It has far less taboo than some other books which have been reffered to as "innocent".

On a personal note: If I want to learn more about how to have great sex....well there is a lot of books there that gives very good graphics instruction and I am all for learning.

But to those female writer, please do spare me, I am here to enjoy a good plot with nice Romance...thats all.

Robin Hobb is brilliant love the idea behind her series reminds me slightly of the wheel of time.

James Clavell's Shogun rates up there as well.

On a side not could some one recommend a few finished series because I cant stand waiting for the next book.

Robin Hobb is brilliant love the idea behind her series reminds me slightly of the wheel of time.

James Clavell's Shogun rates up there as well.

On a side not could some one recommend a few finished series because I cant stand waiting for the next book.

Read the first book of Assasin apprentice, didn't like it much. Anyway, ofcourse we can recommend completed finished series. The question is wheather or not you will like it. So there it is:

1.The Kingdom of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes

2.Tears of Artamon by Sarah Ash.

3.The Banned and the Banished by James Clemence.

4.Janny Wurts - The Cycle of Fire.

5.Dawn Cook - Truth

6.Holly Lisle - Secret Texts.

7.Haydon Elizabeth-Rhapsody( I am confuse about the ending of this series).

8.Canavan, Trudi - Black Magician

9.Kate elliot-Crown of Stars.

10.David Eddings- Ellenium and Belgariod.

11. Fiona Mcintosh- The Quickening

12.Chester, Deborah - Sword, Ring & Chalice.

13.Elaine Corvidae - Lord of Wind and Fire

14.Terry Goodkind-Sword of Truth.

And here I will be a good boy and stop. And also warn you that none of these book is erotic. Romantic, yes, but not erotic. I wish someone warned me before I bought certain books on Witch and vampire...and well you can guess my surprise, here I was all ready for a nice twisting plot,some heated battle...and I was treated with endless sex scene, with a very predictable and ridiculous plot.

Burn me.Blood and bloody ashesh.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Stasheff Christopher's Wizard in Rhyme series. Good read. Liked the series. Fun reading and enlightening. Specially I found myself agreeing with his moral issue's. The way he depicted them in the series, was refreshing.

So I have decided to read all of his other books. Starting with Warlocks heir.

• 7 months later...

Michael Moorcock : Elric rulez ;D an the whole Eternal Champion series rox

Stephen R. Donaldson : Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

R.A.Salvatore : Drizz is always good for some action

Piers Anthony : started out reading Xanth an just enjoyed the series always good for a laugh

Archived