DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reading other Series while waiting for AMOL!

anamul

I am desperatly looking for a new set up books to read while waiting for AMOL.

What i have read and liked:

-David Eddings: Belgarath, Belgarion and Sparhawk books. My first taste of fantasy.

-Raymond Feist: Pretty much everything based in Medkemia. The books are getting a bit long in age with the 4th generation in charge i think now. But Pug is a fantastic character and i always enjoy the books.

- R.A. Salavtore.All the Drizzt novels. They are a bit more fluff then WOT but good reads usually.

-Weis and Hickman: Most of the Dragons books. Worth a read but not my favorite group of books.

- Brandon: Elantris. I liked it alot actually. A good stand alone story.

- Melanie Rahn: Dragon Prince and Dragon Star series.

- Piers Anthony: Incarnations of Immortality. Fantastic books.

Now i am really needing something until AMOL. I read i think 4 of the Sword of Truth then completely lost interest. I read the Game of Thrones by GRRM and liked it but never bothered to read any of the others.

Should i just go back to Song of Ice and Fire and run with it, it seems to be a favorite.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Brandon Sanderson's Elantris as well. I picked up WOT after reading SOT. Recently I have finished James Clemens "Banned and the Banished" series. Liked it. Excellent read. I am not in the mood of reading too much realistic type books. So naturally I hated Geroge RR Martin's all three books I had the misfortune to buy. But the entire length of the all three books was an ordeal. Wast of time and money.And on further note, If I am interested in more Grand style of writing, I will pick up Charles dickens and the likes. I read Fantasy to escape reality to some degree. After whole days and a portion of the night spending coping with reality, I usually try to escape it for an hour or two in good fantasy book.

Also now a days, some writer is actually confusing fantasy with "Playboy" magazine and turning their books into a reflection of their own personal "Fantasy". Ah well,I only wonder how they get published. Come on, it isn't that playboys and girls can only save the world. Our good old "Geeks" and farmer and farme girls can save the world too. SO can age old veteran.

Anyway, I just wanted to suggest James Clemens " The Banned and the Banished" Series. Its a good read and its complete. May god bless him.

I recently read Mistborn, which was awesome (though I did manage to predict some of the plot twists).  I can't wait to read the second book in the series.  I also read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which was very enjoyable as well.  I just checked out A Game of Thrones and can't wait to get started on it.

I'm a big sci-fi reader too.  In science fiction, one of my favorite authors is Charles Sheffield.  His books are hard sci-fi, meaning that there is a lot of science in amongst the fiction (you don't have to be a scientist to understand it though).  He also has fascinating and abnormal characters.  I also like Timothy Zahn.  I'm about to start reading Jack McDevitt.  I've heard good things about his books and the amount of thought they tend to stimulate.  As far as dark, gritty sci-fi goes, The Electric Church was pretty good.  It's not in the same league as WOT as far as literature goes, but it's very entertaining.

OK, i listed the books that i have read and liked alot above.

Again, i am a fan of stories where the main character grows into his power like Garion and Rand did through the books. And i do like the "magic" fantasy of it.

Here is a list of series that i am thinking about getting into, any recommendations based on what i like and have liked before out of them?

A Song of Ice and Fire- GRRM

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn- Tad Williams

Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone- Greg Keyes

The First Law- Joe Abercrombie

I think i want to hold off on SoIaF because it is so long of a series, would like to wait until after WoT is done.

Of the others what do you all recommend. And are they all High Fantasy without magic? I dont think Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is.

My Advice for you is don't read George RR Martin.I read the first three books of A song of Ice and Fire series. As you like a central character.....well, there is no central character in George RR Martin. And Character dies in every two and three chapter. There is no one as noble and strong as Rand and Garion....since George RR Martin deals in shades of gray....well you get the idea.Good become bad and bad become good...for a while...it all a chaos...not to mention droping drop every now and then. Its a bloody war, mind you.

You will like Tairen Soul, there the heroine comes to her power slowly. The hero and heroine both are noble and passionate. All the books I suggested earlier is like this. Tad williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is good too. But it is very slow, not in the way of WOT. The slow way of WOT is enjoyable, but in any other series it is frustrating. You will like Simon and Merrimele though. Nice love story.

Kingdom of Thorn and bone is a good read as well.

OK, i listed the books that i have read and liked alot above.

Again, i am a fan of stories where the main character grows into his power like Garion and Rand did through the books. And i do like the "magic" fantasy of it.

Here is a list of series that i am thinking about getting into, any recommendations based on what i like and have liked before out of them?

I think i want to hold off on SoIaF because it is so long of a series, would like to wait until after WoT is done.

Of the others what do you all recommend. And are they all High Fantasy without magic? I dont think Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is.

Give Memory, Sorrow and Thorn a try. You might have to be a bit patient with the storyline, but I guarantee that by the last book, you'll be definitely hooked. The characters are wonderful, and its an excellent read. If you liked WOT, you will definitely like M.S.T. by Williams.

The best epic fantasy series around, bar none. However, it's incomplete and the wait between books is quite long, averaging out at about 3 years, with Book 5 due out next year and two more books after that to come. You can afford to hold off on this one for a while, but it is really good, as are his other books.

There is magic in ASoIaF, but the backstory is that a cataclysm four centuries before the books begin removes magic from the western world. During the timeframe of the books magic slowly begins to seep back into the world, but you hardly see any magic at all in book one and a little bit more in the second and third books. It's not until the fourth that it becomes clear that magic is back and really starting to exert power over the world.

The series has a reputation for being ruthless, which is fair. However, it's also overstated. Of the 20-odd main point-of-view characters, only two of them have died so far. Maybe 4-5 other major characters die during the books, but there's dozens of them. Also, whilst the notion of who is good and who is bad is frequently challenged, there are several main characters who do have heroic characteristics (Jon Snow, most notably).

A bit long-winded, but solidly enjoyable and complete. There is magic in the series but it's not wizards hurling fireballs at one another.

The first two books are really good, the third is a bit of a letdown and the consensus seems to be that the fourth one is lame. I'd suggest giving it a go, as it starts out really well.

Excellent series, the best of the new fantasy series to come out in the last few years and the best fantasy trilogy I've read in quite some time. Book 1 is very traditional and you think you know what's going on, Book 2 then turns that upside down and Book 3 ends in a manner I don't think anyone was expecting. Overall, an excellent trilogy and well-recommended. Of the series you mention I'd go for this one first.

The best epic fantasy series around, bar none. However, it's incomplete and the wait between books is quite long, averaging out at about 3 years, with Book 5 due out next year and two more books after that to come. You can afford to hold off on this one for a while, but it is really good, as are his other books.

There is magic in ASoIaF, but the backstory is that a cataclysm four centuries before the books begin removes magic from the western world. During the timeframe of the books magic slowly begins to seep back into the world, but you hardly see any magic at all in book one and a little bit more in the second and third books. It's not until the fourth that it becomes clear that magic is back and really starting to exert power over the world.

The series has a reputation for being ruthless, which is fair. However, it's also overstated. Of the 20-odd main point-of-view characters, only two of them have died so far. Maybe 4-5 other major characters die during the books, but there's dozens of them. Also, whilst the notion of who is good and who is bad is frequently challenged, there are several main characters who do have heroic characteristics (Jon Snow, most notably).

A bit long-winded, but solidly enjoyable and complete. There is magic in the series but it's not wizards hurling fireballs at one another.

The first two books are really good, the third is a bit of a letdown and the consensus seems to be that the fourth one is lame. I'd suggest giving it a go, as it starts out really well.

Excellent series, the best of the new fantasy series to come out in the last few years and the best fantasy trilogy I've read in quite some time. Book 1 is very traditional and you think you know what's going on, Book 2 then turns that upside down and Book 3 ends in a manner I don't think anyone was expecting. Overall, an excellent trilogy and well-recommended. Of the series you mention I'd go for this one first.

Very solid reviews. Thanks for your thoughts. I actually got the first book of The First Law and am starting it today.

Very solid reviews. Thanks for your thoughts. I actually got the first book of The First Law and am starting it today.

From what I see, Werthead knows what he's talking about  :). For all of you looking to read GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire, do yourself a favour and wait it out. The series is extremely popular for a very good reason. It is an excellent fantasy series, and 99.9% of WOT fans will love it. However, the wait between books is killer. It will take less than a year to finish the four books that are out right now, but you will end up waiting almost 2-3 years for the next book.

I made the mistake of picking it up too early, and now I'm stuck waiting for each book for god knows how long. I would say to start reading it as soon as the second last book is out, then you won't have to wait such a long time for the last book. It's a great series, save the best for last  ;D.

I also finished Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams, and I am fairly impressed. The last novel "To Green Angel Tower" simply rocked! Its a series that's made for the casual reader, it can be a bit slow, but it is no where as bad as some may say. The characters are deep, and it truly is an enjoyable read.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is quite good and completed at 11 books. Sadly, the cast of characters is not as deep or as well written as WoT, but the books are an entertaining read. Goodkind worships action, and there is plenty of it. Good writing for the most part, as long as you don't mind him getting preachy every once in a while.

Brandon Sanderson's writing gets better each time I read one of his books. His Mistborn series is finishing up this fall with Hero of Ages, and the previous two works were good. Especially, Well of Ascension which develops the relaitonship between the two main protagonists quite well. The more I read Sanderson, the happier I am he is writing A Memory of Light.

Brandon Sanderson's writing gets better each time I read one of his books. His Mistborn series is finishing up this fall with Hero of Ages, and the previous two works were good. Especially, Well of Ascension which develops the relaitonship between the two main protagonists quite well. The more I read Sanderson, the happier I am he is writing A Memory of Light.

I have to agree.  I've read Elantris and the two Mistborn books.  One of the things that Brandon Sanderson does well is work a number of mysteries into his books which build towards a major revelation at the end.  In addition, his books have a reasonably fast pace while still paying attention to detail.  I think he is a good choice to finish WOT.

Also, thanks for your reviews Werthead.  One of the things I dread doing is picking up a book/series only to find that I wasted my time.  Reviews like yours help me avoid these situations.

I'm reading Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone right now, but my library only has the first two (perhaps lending credence to the fact that the last two aren't as good).  The first book and the second book so far have been good.  The element of long-forgotten magic returning makes for a good doomsday mood.  I'll probably not hunt down the last two though.

Sorry about the double post.

Another good author in fantasy/scifi is Harry Turtledove.  He writes alternate history and fantasy and scifi.  I've only read one of his books, Guns of the South, about some South Africans who go back in time to the American Civil War and give General Lee AK-47s.  It was an excellent read.  I understand he also wrote a fantasy rendition of World War II and a series about an alien invasion of Earth during World War II.  Unfortunately, the library I visit lacks some of the books in this series, so I haven't been able to read them.  >:(

All of those above are good.

The works of Glen Cook are the best-kept secret of Fantasy. I only recently stumbled across them and they are amazing. I strongly recommend the Chronicles of the Black Company, The Books of the South (a continuation of the Black Company) and the Instrumentalities of the Night series. I promise you will not be disappointed!

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is quite good and completed at 11 books.

WHAT!

If Chainfire is the last book of that series, I am going to be pissed! Kahlan... OK, I won't ruin it for others.  Just, I don't think the series is complete! I agree it is very good, so long as you don't mind violence and atheistic preachiness. The first book is the most agonizing love story ever told, I do believe.

Before The Wheel of Time, there were only two series I ever lost myself in.

One was Anne Rice's vampire series, beginning with Interview with the Vampire. She really makes you believe that vampires are real, the characters are so strong.

The other was Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series. You can start anywhere. I started with _A Sword for Aldones_, which it turns out is the first one she wrote, when she was 16. The magic system and the world are, well, magical!  Sadly, Marion died a couple years ago, but the series has no beginning and no ending. Honest. Don't read it if you're homophobic, though.

WHAT! If Chainfire is the last book of that series, I am going to be pissed! Kahlan... OK, I won't ruin it for others. Just, I don't think the series is complete! I agree it is very good, so long as you don't mind violence and atheistic preachiness. The first book is the most agonizing love story ever told, I do believe.
The series is complete. Chainfire is the ninth book. Phantom and Confessor follow it to complete the series.

Another good author in fantasy/scifi is Harry Turtledove. He writes alternate history and fantasy and scifi. I've only read one of his books, Guns of the South, about some South Africans who go back in time to the American Civil War and give General Lee AK-47s. It was an excellent read. I understand he also wrote a fantasy rendition of World War II and a series about an alien invasion of Earth during World War II. Unfortunately, the library I visit lacks some of the books in this series, so I haven't been able to read them.  >:(
If you can, check out How Few Remain. It's a standalone book, about a war that breaks out between the USA and the CSA a few years after the Civil War War of Secession. While the book works fine in its own right, it's followed by the Great War trilogy (American Front, Walk in Hell, Breakthroughs), the American Empire trilogy (Blood and Iron, the Centre Cannot Hold, the Victorious Opposition) and appears finished with the Sttling Accounts tetralogy (Return Engagement, Drive to the East, the Grapple, In At the Death). The series do decline in quality a bit as time goes by, but How Few Remain is worth a read, and you can stop there if you want. The next three series go on to show alternate versions of the First World War, inter-war years, and Second World War, all with the US and Confederates at each others throats.

I'd also like to recommend the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker (The Darkness That Comes Before, the Warrior-Prophet, the Thousandfold Thought). The trilogy is complete, however as it is the first part of a larger sequence of novels (the first volume of the Aspect-Emperor sequel series, the Judging Eye is scheduled for early 09). The series mostly focuses on a small cast of characters who are caught up in a Holy War to free the Holy city (yes, fantasy retelling of the First Crusade. Not a bad thing). The faithful try to lead the War to victory, the ambitious seek to possess it for their own purposes, and one man, Sorcerer and spy Drusas Achamian, thinks he has found the man prophesied to save the world from the Second Apocalypse. Bakker makes use of his background in philosophy throughout the series, and has a well developed main cast, a supporting cast who are consistent in their motivations, although bear in mind that not many of them are nice guys, all of them are flawed, and the series can be quite dark.

You can also try the Second Sons trilogy by Jennifer Fallon (Lion of Senet, Eye of the Labyrinth, Lord of the Shadows). The series has no magic, no fantasy creatures, and plenty of intrigue. Well worth a look.

WHAT! If Chainfire is the last book of that series, I am going to be pissed! Kahlan... OK, I won't ruin it for others. Just, I don't think the series is complete! I agree it is very good, so long as you don't mind violence and atheistic preachiness. The first book is the most agonizing love story ever told, I do believe.
The series is complete. Chainfire is the ninth book. Phantom and Confessor follow it to complete the series.

What rock have I been under? 

There you go, I have Phantom and Confessor to read before AMOL!

Wow...I haven't read a lot of these...I'll have to add them to my reading list!

I have books that I would recommend as well.

The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass is a six book series that is divided into two trilogies.  The first book is called The Wayfarer Redemption. There's some romance and a love triangle that is somewhat interesting to follow.  The plot is kinda thin though.

Kushiel's Legacy by Jacqueline Carey is a very good read.  However, I definitely would not recommend it for people who aren't mature enough to handle it.  There is a lot of sex involved, and some of it is of a darker nature.  However, the series is extremely well written and is mostly very good.  The first book is called Kushiel's Dart.

The Winds of the Forelands by David B. Coe has a lot of politics involved.  It's more of a behind the scenes political novel than epic battles, but it does have its share of action.  The characters may seem a little thin, but I'm more into the plots of books.  The first book is called Rules of Ascension.

The Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Haydon is hard for me to describe.  It's got a little bit of everything, and it's well written.  However, the author has a habit of making characters reappear after they've been supposedly "killed".  Some of the plot isn't very well written, but for the most part, I thought it was a good read.  The first book is called Rhapsody.

I have to agree with those people who said that George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is good.  The only problem I have with it is that the fifth book isn't out yet.

I've also picked up Tad Williams' The Dragonbone Chair.  I just don't have the time to read it!

I read book 1 of the Sword of Truth and I wasn't too interested in it.  The whole thing towards the middle and the end really didn't interest me.  I don't think I'm going to read more.

Just finished The Dragonbone Chair.  Excellent read.  The book I think it best compares to is TEOTW.  Tolkienesque feel and world, but more action and faster-paced.  It is epic fantasy and has a fascinating plot.  It's told mostly from a single viewpoint, but small sections reveal events away from the main plot.  The characters and the world are well-defined.  I highly recommend it.

Sorry about the double post.

Another good author in fantasy/scifi is Harry Turtledove.  He writes alternate history and fantasy and scifi.  I've only read one of his books, Guns of the South, about some South Africans who go back in time to the American Civil War and give General Lee AK-47s.  It was an excellent read.  I understand he also wrote a fantasy rendition of World War II and a series about an alien invasion of Earth during World War II.  Unfortunately, the library I visit lacks some of the books in this series, so I haven't been able to read them.  >:(

I picked up a Harry turtledove book today at my library, oin this recommendation. Will let the thread know how I like it.  The title is Between the Rivers.

i recommend the icewindale series from salvatore.  great series and yes i think it is based on everquest.  i dont play that game but i think that is where he got his ideas from.  of course everyone gets their ideas from tolkien of sorts.

The Icewind Dale Trilogy was published in 1988-89.

EverQuest came out in 1998.

Just finished The Dragonbone Chair.  Excellent read.  The book I think it best compares to is TEOTW.  Tolkienesque feel and world, but more action and faster-paced.  It is epic fantasy and has a fascinating plot.  It's told mostly from a single viewpoint, but small sections reveal events away from the main plot.  The characters and the world are well-defined.  I highly recommend it.

Really? I read "The Dragonbone Chair", waaaayyyyy back.  I didn't like it very, much. Could just be taste, could just be that I was younger. It was at least 13 years ago. Maybe I'll give it another look.

Again.

LE Modessitt Jr. - The Saga of Recluce

Book #1 - The Magic of Recluce

One of Fantasy's best kept secrets!!

Archived