DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Battle of the Bands - POP

Corki

The second category for week 3 of the Battle of the Bands tournament is Pop. Below are the three nominations.

The Archers have nominated... THE BEATLES

The Beatles were a pop and rock group from Liverpool, England. The band are recognized for leading the mid-1960s musical "British Invasion" into the United States. Although their initial musical style was rooted in 1950s rock and roll and homegrown skiffle, the group explored genres ranging from Tin Pan Alley to psychedelic rock. The Beatles are one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed bands in the history of popular music. In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked The Beatles #1 on its list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

The category of "Pop music" is a bit misleading, as Pop stands for popular music. When looking into this category, you will find artists that are tagged as pop....simply because they do not fit into any one category. We went with the Beatles because, simpley put, they are among successfulsuccesful groups of all time.

The Cavalry have nominated... ELVIS PRESLEY

Michael Jackson may be the self proclaimed King of Pop, but there is really only one true KING!

Elvis Aaron Presley's musical influences were the pop and country music of the time, the gospel music he heard in church and at the all-night gospel sings he frequently attended, and the black R&B he absorbed on historic Beale Street as a Memphis teenager. In 1954, he began his singing career with the legendary Sun Records label in Memphis. In late 1955, his recording contract was sold to RCA Victor. By 1956, he was an international sensation.

With a sound and style that uniquely combined his diverse musical influences and blurred and challenged the social and racial barriers of the time, he ushered in a whole new era of American music and popular culture.

He starred in 33 successful films, made history with his television appearances and specials, and knew great acclaim through his many, often record-breaking, live concert performances on tour and in Las Vegas. Globally, he has sold over one billion records, more than any other artist.

His American sales have earned him gold, platinum or multi-platinum awards for 150 different albums and singles, far more than any other artist. Among his many awards and accolades were 14 Grammy nominations (3 wins) from the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, which he received at age 36, and his being named One of the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation for 1970 by the United States Jaycees.

His talent, good looks, sensuality, charisma, and good humor endeared him to millions, as did the humility and human kindness he demonstrated throughout his life. Elvis is regarded as one of the most important figures of twentieth century popular culture, his image is among the most recognizable in the world.  His controversial pelvis shaking drew quite a scandal among the critics of the time, but it drove his fans wild. 

Elvis was more than a Pop Idol, he defined the term.  Sure, there have been many like him, but there is only one true KING of POP!

The Infantry have nominated... MADONNA

Madonna is regarded as "one of the greatest pop acts of all time", she has been dubbed the "Queen of Pop" by the media.

Beginning with the release of her self-titled début album in 1983, Madonna rose to stardom producing three consecutive number one studio albums on the Billboard 200; Like a Virgin (1984), True Blue (1986), and Like a Prayer (1989). Though the entertainer faced colder critical reception and more modest sales on subsequent albums Erotica (1992) and Bedtime Stories (1994), she garnered critical acclaim with the release of her seventh studio album Ray of Light (1998), which opened at number two. Madonna continued to remain in the forefront of pop music with four more consecutive number one studio albums; Music (2000) American Life (2003) Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005) and Hard Candy (2008).

According to Guinness World Records, she is the "World’s most successful female recording artist of all time" and the top earning female singer in the world with an estimated net worth of over $400 million.

The reason we chose her literally speaks for itself.... Madonna is the Queen of Pop!

There you go. There are the 3 nominations. All you now need to do is pick who you want to win (please highlight in some way or another) and go through as the Champion of Pop for the Grand Final! You have until Saturday 24th May 2008 to make your choice!

Madonna stomps the competition into smithereens in my opinion. What can I say? I'm a child of the '80s. Madonna IS pop as well as an intelligent and highly astute business woman. The way she reinvents herself, changed the face of pop music and continues her worldwide success today is nothing short of amazing.

While the Beatles were good and successful, I feel there were better groups from the time.

As Clim said, Elvis isn't pop, and I agree. He is rock 'n' roll.

So that leaves Madonna. I'm not a great fan of Madonna's recent stuff, her older stuff is good.

However, my vote will go to The Beatles for this genre.

Guest Uasal Arach

Well...I guess I would have to go with Madona. Elvis and the Beatles are just not known for being much of a Pop icon.

Well, Im not a big Elvis fan, just never got into him.  And although I am a child of the 80's, I cant stand most of the music that came from it (some I can, but most I cant).  There really isnt a song that I like from Madonna.  Im going to have to go with The Beatles all the way.  They are amazing songwriters and singers.  Music would be in a different place today if it hadnt been for bands like them, Dylan, and even Elvis.  Hats off to them all!!

To me the Beetles and Elvis transcend above the genre of Pop.

Madonna has continually reinvented herself to fit into the area of pop music, of course when I think of pop, I sort of think of what's played on the 'top 40' type stations.

I'd have to say out of the list, Madonna is my vote.

I have to say i actually don't like any of my choices. Elvis was the King of ROCK AND ROLL. And anyone can tell you that. The Beatles were pop though I would debate them being the best. Madonna i have never liked. At all. But that is just personal opinion. Truely to me I consider a lot of today's current music pop and i am surprised not to see any of them here. Because truely, to me i would consider a lot of the Beatle's songs Rock and Roll as well. However, if i must choose one of these artists I would have to choose THE BEATLES

Kristine you hit close to the point.  The reason pop is associated with top 40 music is because that is what it is.  I have said a few times that there really isn't a "Pop" category....Pop is just a term to define "Popular" music, which could be any genre. 

And Kat, you hit the nail on the head....Jackson was the King of Pop, Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll. 

Gotta go Beatles all the way.  ;)

Archived