DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

2 mind blowing thoughts

irondan

Fist, what happens if some one is behind a wall of...ah man i cant think of what it is called. the unbreakable metal. oh yea cuandalar or something like that. any way, what if someone is behind that and bf is shot at him. does the the bf go through it or just stop. i know it wont destroy it.

second, what if a gateway opens up and the edge runs into the...unbreakable metal. do you think it can cut through it or will it just push it out of the way.

i think a suit of... that metal would be realy cool.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i cant think of what it is called. the unbreakable metal. oh yea cuandalar or something like that.

Cuendillar.  ;)

I suppose the balefire would just be...absorbed...into the stone.

As for the gateway, I think it would start appearing, but then the line would hit the Cuendillar and it wouldn't be able to open, as it would also be absorbed.

I'd have to agree with krelianzg about the gateways. Balefire I'm not sure about that, I'd have to think about that one.

Which raises another question for me. The seals holding the DO's prison shut are cuendillar. A number of various objects are also made of cuendillar. Is it just the seals that are liable to break or is everything else made of cuendillar also liable to break too?

I would have thought just the seals as I think the DO may be touching those particularly in order to free himself. Which leads to another question. Is it the DO breaking the seals or the something else (ie. the Pattern)?

oh yea cuandalar or something like that. any way, what if someone is behind that and bf is shot at him. does the the bf go through it or just stop. i know it wont destroy it.

second, what if a gateway opens up and the edge runs into the...unbreakable metal. do you think it can cut through it or will it just push it out of the way.

That's how black holes are made.  Don't try it at home.

Does cuendillar get lighter when it's made? Solid iron armor would be a bit....encumbering, especially since a lot of the Asha'man are teenagers and old men...

They could easily pound the iron into thin sheets for breast plates and gauntlets and shoulder pads and greaves. Don't have any clue if the weight changes though. The properties of the metal obviously do...

Does cuendillar get lighter when it's made? Solid iron armor would be a bit....encumbering, especially since a lot of the Asha'man are teenagers and old men...

Even if it doesn't, it could be made of paper-thin overlapping plates ... cuendillar is impenetrable by normal means no matter how thin it is.

It probably could be done, but I doubt we'll ever see this. 

Please read...

Cuendillar is also called Heartstone. Which, logically, must mean it is stone. Especially when it crumbles away (the seals). It isn't metal, it isn't iron. It's stone.

I'm certain it's been described as stone in the books anyway.

Quote:

Cuendillar is also called Heartstone. Which, logically, must mean it is stone. Especially when it crumbles away (the seals). It isn't metal, it isn't iron. It's stone.

In several places in the books it has been described as iron that has been transformed by the Power. Several people have (in previous discussions)likened it to an unbreakable ceramic-- which description makes sense to me. Its definitely not a stone (a material produced by natural forces) but a material made with the Power.

Yeah, an armor of Cuendillar would be sweat!!! But who would make that? I don't think the Aes Sedai will be happy to make those...

Think about it: all the Asha'men in an armor made of Cuendillar!

I've thought about this for a while too, and while it would be cool to see I doubt we'll ever see Aes Sedai making it.  I imagine that most of them would lump that in with "make no weapon........" even though it isn't technically a weapon.

Even with cuendillar armor however I think you'd still run into the problem of injuries.  Sure the armor would be unpiercable, even when paper thin, but the energy from the blow (let's say a crossbow bolt) would still be transferred through the armor and into whatever is behind it.  So while it would be useful in the sense of armor that would never break, it certainly wouldn't make the wearer invulnerable.  Throw a soldier wearing cuendillar armor off the roof of the white tower and he's still going to die.  Compare it to kevlar body armor.  It stops the bullet but the energy still goes through.  Anyone wearing a vest who's shot still ends up with lots of bruises under the vest.  As armor went it would still be superior to anything conventional but I doubt you'd see it mass-produced. 

I always thought the old heronswords were made by the cuendillar weave

Power-wrought weapons are simply strengthened by the power, not transformed into a different material.  It theorized that "Aligning the Matrix" (the lost talent mentioned to the super-girls by Moghedien) was this strengthening of metals, aligning all the molecules to make the metal super strong.

Very true. I always wondered why, if cuendillar is the only thing guaranteed to survive the passing of an Age, and the Wheel of Time turns forever, the inhabitants of Randland aren't wading through piles of cuendillar cups and statues and the like.

I suppose we could take the easy way out and assume that the 6th Age is inhabited by giant cuendillar-eating monsters...

And here I thought someone else read the wotmania thread on Lanfear's cup size. . .

Seriously, on cuendillar- RJ was a physicist, and he started with iron. It's really hard for me not to visualize it as a paramagnet that reacts to any energy directed against it by becoming more strongly magnetized.

Egwene, if I recall, was able to turn metal into Cuendillar at a very fast rate. So theoretically she should be able to easily make a very thin suit of Heartstone armor. Toss that together with Mat's medallion and you have a nearly invincible man. Put those things on someone who can channel and has access to a Sa'angral and he becomes even more nearly invincible. There are weaknesses, as before mentioned, but it is still a cool idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Egwene, if I recall, was able to turn metal into Cuendillar at a very fast rate. So theoretically she should be able to easily make a very thin suit of Heartstone armor. Toss that together with Mat's medallion and you have a nearly invincible man. Put those things on someone who can channel and has access to a Sa'angral and he becomes even more nearly invincible. There are weaknesses, as before mentioned, but it is still a cool idea.

The only problem I have with this thought, is the fact that Cuendillar absorbs any of the One Power thrown at it.  So if an Ash`Aman was inside a full suit, wouldn't that render anything he did with the power useless?  the flows could never leave him through the suit.

Archived