DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

2 mind blowing thoughts

irondan

-sigh- ... no it wouldn't.

But, just so that you know that I'm not taking this position just to oppose you, cloglord, I'll simply quote what I already wrote, earlier in this thread, thereby establishing that I was already of this opinion, before you addressed an idea already discussed in this thread.

I'm sorry, I thought that I had read through it, and must have missed the page where you wrote this.  I agree. You are also quite correct in that it would be ridiculously painstaking, not only in the insulation but in the construction of iron rings.  As a person who has made chainmail and as an amateur blacksmith, I can say with a high degree of certainty that it would take years and years to contruct even one such suit of chain mail cuendillar.  Iron not being the most forgiving of metals when it comes to heating and bending on such a small scale.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The easiest way would be for the person making the iron links (or scales) to attach a link and then turn it to cuendillar, piece by piece, until the armor is finished. So, you'd need a blacksmith who can make cuendillar, or a channeler willing to learn blacksmithing.

A suit of it would definitely be worth a kingdom's riches. Not to mention visually stunning.

The easiest way would be for the person making the iron links (or scales) to attach a link and then turn it to cuendillar, piece by piece, until the armor is finished. So, you'd need a blacksmith who can make cuendillar, or a channeler willing to learn blacksmithing.

A suit of it would definitely be worth a kingdom's riches. Not to mention visually stunning.

Actually wouldn't it just be better to transmute it after its made. It might be a little more work but can you imagine how time consuming it would be to make it link by link in chain or scale mail. Steel Armor would be easier to transmute I would think as for the most part it's a solid peice at least for the majority of it.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]

Actually wouldn't it just be better to transmute it after its made. It might be a little more work but can you imagine how time consuming it would be to make it link by link in chain or scale mail. Steel Armor would be easier to transmute I would think as for the most part it's a solid peice at least for the majority of it.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]

It would need to be flexible, but once it's changed to cuendillar it would lose that. You'd end up with one rigid, solid piece, much like the harbor chain in Tar Valon.

It would need to be flexible, but once it's changed to cuendillar it would lose that. You'd end up with one rigid, solid piece, much like the harbor chain in Tar Valon.

Reading good.

Look five posts up, Baldar.  We've already discussed that ... twice.  There are ways to do it without having the chain links fuse together.

The most difficult technical problem is making iron act like steel, as cloglord pointed out.  I'm not sure that "years and years" would really be needed ... but it would be technically demanding.  It depends on whether or not the iron must be absolutely pure to be changed to cuendillar.  Most of what we call "iron" is some form of ferrous alloy.  If a more flexible alloy will work, then it won't be nearly as difficult. 

Again, the individual links would not have to be nearly as durable as if you intended it to actually be metal armor ... you could even make it out of wire.  Cuendillar is not any stronger or weaker due to thickness, as far as we know.

Platemail like http://students.ou.edu/E/Ryan.C.Emrick-1/knight.jpg would be much quicker and easier to make.

The suit would still be quite flexible, and if it was made paper thin it would be quite light too.

A suit like that (or chainmail, although it probably wouldn't be worth the extra effort) would definitely be possible.

More interesting to think about how it'd work if the wearer was a channeler...

Saw this a couple of days ago and just now getting to post, so sorry for the bump.

Sorry, but you ALL are off base with the armor. It would be easier just to make ninja style suits out of warder cloaks. You can't hit what you can't see and they would not have to reinvent anything.

PS, would be freaky just to see a pair floating eyes look you.

Sorry, but you ALL are off base with the armor. It would be easier just to make ninja style suits out of warder cloaks. You can't hit what you can't see and they would not have to reinvent anything.
You can't hit what you can't see? That must have been why no-ones house ever got wrecked in the Blitz. Spray enough firepower around and you can hit something you can't see, through random chance if nothing else. And if they hit you, you are dead. Armour, on the other hand, would leave you visible but make you much harder to kill.

Please read...

Cuendillar is also called Heartstone. Which, logically, must mean it is stone. Especially when it crumbles away (the seals). It isn't metal, it isn't iron. It's stone.

I'm certain it's been described as stone in the books anyway.

peanutbutter isn't actually butter

It isn't? I thought it was a type of butter...just with peanuts mixed in...though I've only had it once, when I was about 5 years old...

You can't hit what you can't see? That must have been why no-ones house ever got wrecked in the Blitz. Spray enough firepower around and you can hit something you can't see, through random chance if nothing else. And if they hit you, you are dead. Armour, on the other hand, would leave you visible but make you much harder to kill.

Well since the cuendillar suits would need to be flexible for the wearer, all a channeler would need to do is use air and just simple bend the user in half or flame them(I am pretty sure the person inside is not boil proof). The only good a suit like that would good be against is arrows and swords. Don't get me wrong, I would rather have a C-suit than nothing at all. And I agree with you, even if you can't see something does not mean you can not hit it, but I would rather take my chances not being visible.

The best defense would be Mats medallion and the cuendillar suit covered in warder cloak material. As non-channeler I think I would feel safer.

• 6 months later...

I actually thought of this too, but it has a fatal flaw, even with cuendillar, the warders cloak and mat medallion, if a death gate were to close directly in front of you and open up the same way only on you, since it is a puncture in the fabric of the pattern I think your likely to die.

This is an explanation of Cuendillar and why it breaks:

It starts out as iron, witch is charged with both a positive and negative force.

It is converted into cuendillar. Which is impervious to any physical attacks, because of its durability.

When hit with the one power it absorbs it, charging it further, so cuendillar is like a battery for the one power.

The seals present a problem the only logical explanation I see is the Dark one can draw the one power out of these "Batteries" and when they get weak enough "From lack of Charge" They can be destroyed.

He has only been doing this for perhaps two or three years, because thats how long he's been able to directly affect the world.

I wonder if the remaining seals could be "Rechaged" with a hit of one power.

Just a funny thought i had about the chainmail making,

How gutted would you be if one of those wooden insulators slipped as you changed the ring peice in to cuendillar. And then Damn 3 now linked, months and months or work wasted

DOH!

Regards

On the original subject -

Balefire can't damage cuendillar, much less punch a hole through it.

The One Power doesn't affect cuendillar. Read: Woven saidin and saidar cannot affect cuendillar. Read: Gateways can't affect cuendillar. If the piece of cuendillar is small, it will be moved out of the way by the opening, else the gateway itself will shift so that it can open fully. If the gateway is opened between two walls of cuendillar, then it will extend in height. If there is also a ceiling of cuendillar, it will slice through the ground (not that that will actually affect the size, since you can only cross it overground anyway). If the floor is also made of cuendillar, then the gateway will be limited to the intermediate space, and the cuendillar will absorb the "extra", strengthening itself.

The One Power doesn't affect cuendillar.

I thought this also. Which makes me wonder why people want to give Rand both the medallion and armour made of cuendillar.

If the medallion dissolves the weaves and cuendillar absorbs the weave, surely it just leads to the same end.. the power being useless against either one. Meanwhile Mats getting bullied by all the Aes Sedai because Rand ran off with his medallion :(

I remember watching on TV how they explained soldiers helmet-evolution. In Vietnam the soldiers had helmets, but they weren't comfortable. And military scientists also found out that if someone got a blow to their head, the energy would go straight to their heads. The bullet wouldn't pass, but they would get one serious headache, as stated before. That is why they put some soft material inside the helmet, so that when a bullet hit the helmet, the helmet would stop the bullet, and the soldier would not have a serious headache.

So, if you made a cuendillar armor suit, you would just take lots of soft material, and glue it to the armor on the inside. And voila! You have a perfect cuendillar armor suit!

On the original subject -

The One Power doesn't affect cuendillar. Read: Woven saidin and saidar cannot affect cuendillar. Read: Gateways can't affect cuendillar. If the piece of cuendillar is small, it will be moved out of the way by the opening, else the gateway itself will shift so that it can open fully. If the gateway is opened between two walls of cuendillar, then it will extend in height. If there is also a ceiling of cuendillar, it will slice through the ground (not that that will actually affect the size, since you can only cross it overground anyway). If the floor is also made of cuendillar, then the gateway will be limited to the intermediate space, and the cuendillar will absorb the "extra", strengthening itself.

So if a gateway opens in a box of cuendillar, it will only fill the box, isnt that proving my point that it would open on the inside of the box. NAmely the armour, and slice rand in two? If it opens in his middle, hes dead. I dont think the medallion would protect him either, because its not directed at him, and It is a puncture which already exists in the fabric of the pattern. It would be hard to pull of, but if DO was patient enough DO could kill rand.

So if a gateway opens in a box of cuendillar, it will only fill the box, isnt that proving my point that it would open on the inside of the box. NAmely the armour, and slice rand in two? If it opens in his middle, hes dead. I dont think the medallion would protect him either, because its not directed at him, and It is a puncture which already exists in the fabric of the pattern. It would be hard to pull of, but if DO was patient enough DO could kill rand.

It would not matter whether Rand was wearing cuendillar armor.  The gateway would kill him regardless.  In any case, that seems a roundabout way of killing someone.  And the DO would probably not be doing this, since the DO does not channel.  Anyone who can provide a source of channeling most likely has some other deadlier ways of killing someone which cannot be stopped by a human-made material like cuendillar.

He must be able to manipulate it in some way or form, perhaps his powers are stemming from him, so he doesn't actually channel just uses them. Sorta like the Creator, probably doesn't use like 1 million weaves to create a world, he just does it. We are the small ones who must learn to channel/manipulate the energy.

Archived