DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Norse Gods

trakand_01

So it has been often remarked that our main guys are based on (or very much resemble) Norse gods, specifically;

Mat - Odin ('main' god, also considered god of war, battle)

Rand - Tyr (God of Justice)

Perrin - Thor ((or Slavic god Perun) - god of thunder and lightening

and there are other mythological / religious parallels also, for example Sammael (Samael) is supposed to be the name Satan held as an angel.

Do you think that a) any of these comparisons are true and b) they influence the plotlines / characters in any significant way?

Do you see any other comparisons to be made amongst the other Characters?

Well, it is worth keeping in mind that Mat does not borrow only from Odin, but also from Loki. Of course, the Loki traits seem to be disappearing more and more with Mats increasing maturity.

Remember that mat has to give up an eye, just like odin

and there are also the spear (er odin mat links) in this case and his memories too, (though and memory) (im not even going to attempt to spell ashenderi or er gulhlogir..ich thats bad) the hangin on the tree for knowaledge and the hat ...i the only part of odin that i hope mat doest forful is the gelding name :o ..i suppose he could turn out sterile or something :-\

also odin was a blood brother to loki so there are already some close links betwen the too

Quoting from Wikipedia with regard to the fate of Odin, Tyr and Thor

"Odin will make straight for Fenrir, and Thor, right beside him, will be unable to help because his old enemy, the Midgard Serpent, will at once attack him"

"Tyr will battle Garmr and each will slay the other."

"Thor ... will kill Jörmungandr with his hammer Mjolnir ... but will himself stagger back nine steps before falling to the ground dead from the poison which the Serpent unleashed upon him."

"Odin fights valiantly against Fenrir but is devoured by the wolf."

It's not looking good for our Ta'veren now is it?

Quoting from Wikipedia with regard to the fate of Odin, Tyr and Thor

"Odin will make straight for Fenrir, and Thor, right beside him, will be unable to help because his old enemy, the Midgard Serpent, will at once attack him"

"Tyr will battle Garmr and each will slay the other."

"Thor ... will kill Jörmungandr with his hammer Mjolnir ... but will himself stagger back nine steps before falling to the ground dead from the poison which the Serpent unleashed upon him."

Except we know Mat survives TG.

But if we wished to read too much into things, who is who amongst the Chosen and others. Tyr lost his hand to Fenrir, and Rand lost his to Semi, so she must be Fenrir. Thor once caught Jormungand, and Perrin is Thor, so who has Perrin caught? Faile (I don't think this, but someone was bound to say it)? Masema, perhaps? Any other suggestions?

I find it interesting here that Fenrir is a wolf, and Odin (Mat) is devoured by it. Now, one of our little friends is fighting the wolf in our stories, but it is not Mat...

Archived