DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Olver - Little Bit Creepy

trakand01

Ah, that makes sense. I forgot about the carhein dislike. Thanks.

The other line that caught my eye earlier in the series, and whether this is related to Olver or not, was when Birgitte was pulled (or maybe just before she was pulled) from telaranrhoid, but after Gaidal had disappeared. I dont have the exact language or quote on hand, but she said something along the lines of:

"He is an infant somewhere, or perhaps a young boy."(this quote is not exact, but the sentiment is the same)

While I understand that time moves differently there, this was in talking to Elayne or Nynaeve; so Birgitte would know that only a few months have passed, and yet she phrases it as though he could be a young boy even though he would be a young toddler at best. RJ stated that Olver is not Gaidal, but he also is not a red herring.

*Is off to peruse the Gaidal Cain threads to see if someone else has already answered this* ;)

Edit: well that was fast: other people jumped on that quote too... http://www.steelypips.org/wotfaq/2_nondark/2.2_rest-chars/2.2.5_gaidal.html

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olver is going to die.

after all he runs into caemlyn during the attack

So do the rest of the Band... It's what a soldier does, Olver see's himself as apart of the Band and not just Mat's lackey so he follows the others in to do his part in the fight.

But yes, it doesn't look good for any of them, but that doesn't mean the ankle biter is gunna be killed.

A.

Clearly Olver is Demandred. The collection of various Angreal and Ter'Angreal he carries around in his little sack (Turtle shell? Pff more like Sa'Angreal). His disdain for Aiel whom he sees as servants, hidden behind a flimsy story of Shaido murdering his parents. Constant compulsion of women. His use of Saidin to make his horse win races in Ebou Dar (think Rand and Bela in the first book). His ability to win Snakes and Foxes without cheating. He was a great general in the AoL and now hangs out with one of the elite fighting forces of this age. His anger at the end of ToM that another Chosen would attack Caemlyn when clearly he has plans for it. Do I really need to go on? I think it is intuitively obvious who Olver really is and it isn't Gaidal Cain.

Clearly Olver is Demandred. The collection of various Angreal and Ter'Angreal he carries around in his little sack (Turtle shell? Pff more like Sa'Angreal). His disdain for Aiel whom he sees as servants, hidden behind a flimsy story of Shaido murdering his parents. Constant compulsion of women. His use of Saidin to make his horse win races in Ebou Dar (think Rand and Bela in the first book). His ability to win Snakes and Foxes without cheating. He was a great general in the AoL and now hangs out with one of the elite fighting forces of this age. His anger at the end of ToM that another Chosen would attack Caemlyn when clearly he has plans for it. Do I really need to go on? I think it is intuitively obvious who Olver really is and it isn't Gaidal Cain.

Haha nice

• 5 weeks later...

i was 11 when i first started flirting with my chemistry teacher. so nothing unsual about the whole thing. hell even the teacher was kinda in to me. only the warnings of my best friend who knew what was happening stopped me from snowballing the whole thing

Interesting word usage there :)

the kid is getting exactly the kind of education that could set him up to become the next Conan of Cimmeria of the Third Age (actualy, maybe the 4th Age, I guess). This little guy is going to have the kind of life that will save him a seat right next to Arture Hawkwing in TAR...if he survives the next book...

Ok, so he opened Verin Sedai's letter. He's served one of his purposes. Now time for the other: for him to die a heartbreaking death. I say get that little toad in a Trolloc stew pot ASAP!

Too bad any of the Trollocs will just mistake him for a dwarf trolloc with that fugly face of his

.... man why is it so much fun to join in with others in teasing a poor little ugly boy? :biggrin:

Oh wait, that must be why those bastard bullies enjoyed pestering me so much. :mad: Darn. /tablesturned

Too bad any of the Trollocs will just mistake him for a dwarf trolloc with that fugly face of his

.... man why is it so much fun to join in with others in teasing a poor little ugly boy? :biggrin:

Because precocious children are invariably annoying and are a sign of jumping the shark?

• 2 weeks later...

Olver is fun, especially his relation towards Mat with Mat not realizing that most of Olver's "bad" behaviour is caused by him-Mat-self :wink:

I agree, it confuses me that anyone finds him creepy of all things. Nice kid in my book.

Olver is fun, especially his relation towards Mat with Mat not realizing that most of Olver's "bad" behaviour is caused by him-Mat-self :wink:

I agree, it confuses me that anyone finds him creepy of all things. Nice kid in my book.

Agreed. Olver always seemed like such a fun, charming kid. Chapters with him in them make me smile. He also brought a little bit more mature/parental/nurturing side out of Mat which I think was good for the character.

Agreed. Olver always seemed like such a fun, charming kid. Chapters with him in them make me smile. He also brought a little bit more mature/parental/nurturing side out of Mat which I think was good for the character.

What did you feel about him towards the end of ToM? That didn't raise any red flags?

I think people are reading way, way too much into Olver's POV here. Far too much armchair psychology. He never struck me as being sociopathic in the least. Selfish, perhaps, but that's to be expected from a child of his age. Considering how he has been essentially raised by a group of rowdy soldiers I think he's in pretty good shape mentally.

Surely Olver's primary plot purpose was to delay Mat leaving Ebou Dar so that he could meet the DotNM?

I can't figure out the luck thing with the game of foxes & snakes unless it's some weird way to let the reader know the timeline - Mat has just broken out of Finnland.

But by the time Olver opens the letter, it's a fait accompli.

IIRC Grady is supposed to check on Mat everyday near the ToG so, Mat can Gate back to Caemlyn. He'll come back into the thick of action.

What did you feel about him towards the end of ToM? That didn't raise any red flags?

Nah, I think people are reading way too much into that POV. The kid wants revenge, he wants to help Mat, and he's got a grown up soldier's mentality because that's how he's been treated for the last year or two. I'm not sure why everyone thinks it was so creepy. If anything, I viewed it has Brandon getting the character's voice just slightly off. My feelings on Olver are based on what I've seen throughout the series without focusing just on one short POV.

Why would it? He was forced to grow up early (something I can relate to) and has a valid motivation to want revenge and make himself into a formidable fighter. The kid definitely has a sense of right and wrong based on his thoughts and actions throughot the story. If he was thinking about raping and pillaging because the world screwed him or something I could see the creepy or psychopath comments.

+1. I don't find anything least bit creepy in Olver. He is a very positive character, much liked by both RJ and BS, I would say. He certainly made Mat grow up a bit (whether that's good or bad is another issue). I'm absolutely sure that there is nothing sinister on his agenda like trying to kill Mat and Mat killing him as the result, as some have suggested.

Archived