DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Australian Authors.

Luckers

I see a lot of australians are on this board, and i was just wondering if you guys have read some of the good australian fantasy authors out there? At the moment, my favorite is Sean Williams, who rights an amazing series called the Books of the Cataclysm, then theres Jennifer Fallon, who reminds me a little of RJ in the sophistication of her plots. Trudi Canavan - her new books a bit cutesy, but i loved her black magician trilogy. And Garth Nix... his stuff is brilliant, and that includes the stuff he wrote for kids. So you know any of these, or any others i havn't mentioned?

I know in not an Aussie, but I loved the black magician series it was a brilliant new take on magic in a society and the plot was superb. I didn't think the age of five was as good, as they should have lost or won more conclusively at the end, but it has potential for the next book. Do you know if she is writeing any more in the black magician world I have heard rumours that there was going to be and the child would be a boy. Paul Jennings and morris glitzman are pretty good kind of like roald dahl short stories if I remember rightly.

Traci Harding and Kate Forsyth are two other good Aussie authors... I did have more written but I lost my post. *growls at DM* Yeah. What I've read of their work I really like, but it's been a while since I've actually bought a book, the result of being a poor starving uni student.

Guest Arie Ronshor

I'm such a fan of Garth Nix's work! I'm almost disapointed in how short his Abhorsen trilogy was.. it could have been epic! (such a neat world!) i have yet to pick up his others (since i can only afford so much..). i can't recall any others off the top of my head... i havn't been into work in a week.. :P

*works in a minor version of 'chapters'*

• 2 weeks later...

It's been longer than five years for the end of Obernewtyn. I started reading them in primary school, and since I'm now a uni student, that's at least five years I've been waiting, plus the other time between when it was written and when I read it.

i've been hardpressed to find a really good Australian author for me to follow. So i generally just to stick whatever some good friends with good taste reccomend (after glancing at a few reviews and summaries ofcoarse).

so..is there any sort of general consensus of an australian author thats a must read?

Pfft, your all full of it! Everyone knows those people were orginally british or american

haha yeah that tends to happen alot. If we get anyone who we can even midly relate back to us, we claim him/her for all they're worth :D

• 2 months later...

I adore Traci Harding!

I also liked Isobelle Carmondy and I loved Paul Jennings as a kid, like Unreal, Uncanny, Unbearable, Unbelieveable, Unthinkable (ok I may have made 2 of those titles up!)

I also have also read a lot of Bryce Courtney.

lmao @ SD's comment

I've just discovered Trudi Canavan. I've read the first two books and have just started the 3rd in the Black Magician trilogy. I have the first one of Age of The Five sitting here to be read too. Haven't tried Garth Nix yet but he was recommended by a friend so I may pick them up.

• 2 weeks later...
I keep seeing people here that seem to dislike Sara Douglass' date=' Corki... :? I've enjoyed the Axis series so far, though the second three books aren't really as good to me, but still enjoyable. I'm on the 5th (Pilgrim).[/quote']

I consider the Axis Trilogy to be the best fantasy series I've ever read, but I agree that the second trilogy is strange to say the least.

Traci Harding has some good ideas, but her books are generally poorly written and her characters fairly basic and limited. Her main series also ends up being undisguised Wicca propoganda and fairly self indulgent.

Archived