DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are they doing to Canon?

TamSwordsman

On 9/1/2023 at 12:50 PM, DigificWriter said:

opinion.jpg

I may not personally be a fan of the novels, but there are a number of others who are fans (die-hard fans at that) who recognize and have accepted the TV series for the retelling that it is, and there's absolutely nothing disingenuous about that.

I’m in the camp that they are having to adapt 14 books into what appears to be at most 6-7 seasons.  The books are the ultimate even Tolkien would be proud of Jordan and yes often looked to as the standard.  The books are pure gold.  The show is an adaptation, they are keeping most of the main story intact and that is the battle between the light and the dark, Rand vs The Dsrk One and the forsaken.  A lot of sacrifices have to be made to tell that story much to the detriment of the larger richer world of the books.  The characters, generally, are fairly consistent personality wise and motivations to the original works.  A lot of details have to be glossed over or eliminated completely.   I was quite the purist when season 1 came out but after bellyaching over it with 3 of my daughters who also LOVE the books they pointed out to me that I should enjoy it for what it is or not.  One of the daughters is a PURIST and couldn’t make it through season 1 but the other 2 viewed it from that other lens and brought me around to their way of thinking.  Is the show as good as the books, ABSOLUTELY not, but can I appreciate what they are trying to do and stick to the main story Rand gs the dark one and the forsaken.  Through that lens they are doing as well as can be expected considering they only have 8 episodes of 70 min each season with at most 6-7 seasons to tell that story.  A tall order in its own.  Through that view they are doing a well-enough job.

On 9/6/2023 at 4:58 PM, Elder_Haman said:

We’ve established that this isn’t the books. But apart from the fact that it happened differently in the books, what do the Aes Sedai think they have to fear from Logain now that he’s been gentled?

Well if you have read the series it comes out later that the Aes Sedai especially the Red Ajah have a metric ton of things to fear from Logain, hence the reason they kept him locked up

On 10/8/2023 at 1:25 AM, Averlan said:

Well if you have read the series it comes out later that the Aes Sedai especially the Red Ajah have a metric ton of things to fear from Logain, hence the reason they kept him locked up

I mean no, even in the books no one has anything to fear from him, not until Siuan starts her lies to bring down Elaida.