DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite TV Character and Why

4 hours ago, DreadLord31 said:

well, remember to “gird your loins” 

cause we’ll definitely be departing from the books big-time; but hopefully it’s good Tv. 

I get the impression "gird your loins" is a euphemism for something else.

3 hours ago, Samt said:

I get the impression "gird your loins" is a euphemism for something else.

It's a phrase that the showrunner and book-consultant have used to prepare the book readers to be disappointed ... They have tried to prep people numerous times that they are majorly departing from the books ... 

1 hour ago, DreadLord31 said:

It's a phrase that the showrunner and book-consultant have used to prepare the book readers to be disappointed ... They have tried to prep people numerous times that they are majorly departing from the books ... 

I get that.  I'm just not sure it doesn't mean "bend over and spread 'em." 

Because the original meaning of gird your loins is to get ready for a battle or manual labor. And that doesn't really fit here.  

Edited by Samt

I really dig Loial, actually. I know he's not tall enough. But the actor (whose first name is Hammed and whose last name I don't feel like googling to get the spelling right but don't want to disrespect by getting wrong) was so compelling. From the first time he was on screen, I wanted more.

25 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I really dig Loial, actually. I know he's not tall enough. But the actor (whose first name is Hammed and whose last name I don't feel like googling to get the spelling right but don't want to disrespect by getting wrong) was so compelling. From the first time he was on screen, I wanted more.

"Brother Book" as Addison from Everyday Negros calls him. Yeah - I felt like the actor had him down perfect. He just had so little purpose/lines and his costume was funky. And he ought to be dead if he was stabbed by the Shadar Logoth dagger? But I guess it's not really THAT deadly in the show?? But I feel like they'll do better with him in S2. I think maybe we'll get a Stedding? 

4 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Liked Mat and Logain best.

Do you think this new actor (Donal Finn) is going to give us a good Matt? Was my favorite character in the later books ... I like Donal's Irish accent. Luck'o'the'Irish! Seems fitting for Matt. I definitely am having a hard time with how the writers are writing him, though ... I never felt like book Matt was wrestling with being a piece of trash on the inside or having a garbage family (cause neither was the case in the books). 

8 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

Do you think this new actor (Donal Finn) is going to give us a good Matt? Was my favorite character in the later books ... I like Donal's Irish accent. Luck'o'the'Irish! Seems fitting for Matt. I definitely am having a hard time with how the writers are writing him, though ... I never felt like book Matt was wrestling with being a piece of trash on the inside or having a garbage family (cause neither was the case in the books). 

I saw this pointed out recently that Mat in the books thinks of his dad as a great horse trader, somebody who always comes out on top of the deal. Which is like being proud of your used car salesman dad, who nobody totally trusts but he's still part of the community and they cheer when he really screws over the outsiders. In TEOTW we mostly see Mat through Rand's eyes, which is kind of like how Tom Sawyer sees Huck Finn as having this dreamy carefree life when in actuality things are pretty tough for Huck. Mat's prankster background is just presented as a given - oh that rascal Mat! - when we know that behavior like that in real life quite frequently stems from some kind of stress or trauma.

Excited to see what Donal does with the character, and obviously expect the best of Mat's story is yet to come.

Edited by Kaleb

8 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

Haven't seen Donal do anything yet, but I'm hopeful.

I like that they 'darkened' Mat's family - the Two Rivers was too Pollannaish in the books, though I think they were a bit over the top with the parents - no subtlety.  I liked Mat being a 'minor' rogue.

Yeah, Barney's Mat was great, he really shined in his scenes and thought the changes worked.. his departure is a bit of a shame, I guess he didn't want to be a hero 😇

At least they can easily shoehorn a good excuse, "the dagger changed me man, gave me this cool whimsical accent too."

Really liked Logain too, dudes done an amazing job showing that arrogant confidence and twitchy madness. Keen to see how that plays out.

1 hour ago, DreadLord31 said:

I mean we found out very little about mat in books 1 and 2 because of the dagger. and the real driver in book 3 was a sense of looking out for the girls, which you can see in how he feels about his sister. Later on his motivation is not getting himself into a battle lol. 

I like Egwene alot.  she is playing a very solid version of the book character.  Someone who is driven by ambition, already showing strong loyalty to the white tower, and we can see her love for Rand but also the fracture in their relationship.  Season 2 should really give Egwene alot more to work with, and I suspect many will agree with me by the end of it.

I like Thom too, but I just couldn't do his singing.  I was expecting a royal court bard here, not a common tavern singer

Edited by Pandemonium

5 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

I like Egwene alot.  she is playing a very solid version of the book character.  Someone who is driven by ambition, already showing strong loyalty to the white tower, and we can see her love for Rand but also the fracture in their relationship.  Season 2 should really give Egwene alot more to work with, and I suspect many will agree with me by the end of it.

I like Thom too, but I just couldn't do his singing.  I was expecting a royal court bard here, not a common tavern singer

I mean Thom is described in the books as fitting in to where ever he is, so singing in a villiage tavern you will not get any of that royal bard, also consider in the books Matt and Rand refuse to believe he ever was in court for a long long time because of how he holds himself and behaves day to day. 

I wasn’t arguing that TvThom isn’t a major change from the books. I just like TvThom better; he makes more sense how he can take on a fade & why he’s dangerous & why he wants to help the boys. 

I think the best line in the show was: “We call ourselves gleemen because the silly name makes us less frightening. Nothing is more dangerous than a man who knows the past.” 🔥

Boom. Mic drop. We need a whole more of that quality of writing.

The only thing recently come out with lines that good is Dune. 

Like when Duke Leto says, “A great man doesn't seek to lead; he is called to it. But if your answer is no, you'd still be the only thing I ever needed you to be: my son.” 

On 8/26/2023 at 11:28 AM, Pandemonium said:

Off topic but I love your username. My dad passed a couple of years ago but one of his favorite comments was “pandemonium” in general terms of society in its glorious weirdness. Thank you for reminding me of a great man 🥰 he would announce it in airports and Starbucks and stuff 😂

3 hours ago, Scarloc99 said:

More so than Verin? 

I'd say that Verin had already begun her redemptive arc when we meet her. By joining the Black Ajah, I'm sure she's had to do despicable things, so her entire quest to "out" the Black Ajah is her redemptive arc. 

22 minutes ago, nsmallw said:

I'd say that Verin had already begun her redemptive arc when we meet her. By joining the Black Ajah, I'm sure she's had to do despicable things, so her entire quest to "out" the Black Ajah is her redemptive arc. 

But we as the reader have no idea, for me that scene with Egwene, as manufactured as it is by BS (there are so many holes in her not getting the oath rod), is still very emotional. 

Both arcs were significant and satisfying to me as the reader but I think verin had a deeper impact in my experience probably based on her presence and glimpses into her POV for so much more of the story. Ingtar is basically introduced and wrapped up within the space of one book out of 15, whereas verin is a relatively integral character for a much larger portion of the series. Kinda like the difference between an acquaintance and an old friend. 

On 9/1/2023 at 6:50 AM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

Both arcs were significant and satisfying to me as the reader but I think verin had a deeper impact in my experience probably based on her presence and glimpses into her POV for so much more of the story. Ingtar is basically introduced and wrapped up within the space of one book out of 15, whereas verin is a relatively integral character for a much larger portion of the series. Kinda like the difference between an acquaintance and an old friend. 

My big issue with Verin, and one I hope they resolve in the TV show is that you don't see any of the "bad" she had to put herself through for the Light. I imagine it would have made a Whitecloaks toes curl. Also we don't get any confirmation she is black until the very end of her arc, so as a reader you don't really get much of an emotional journey, its a blink ad your done kind of thing, wrapped up as it is also in the whole Egwene locked in the tower waiting to find out her own fate. 

Giving her a sister in the TV show gives me hope we are going to see Verin doing some very darkfriend things, including killing or sacrificing her own sister, really ramping up the emotion and dislike amongst non book fans, only to then have a massive reveal with a flashback montage as she dies showing all the bad things she did from a different angle, much like that scene in harry potter where you find out that Dumbledore knew he was dying so made Snape sacrifice what little reputation he had for the greater good.