DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shadowspawn Clip

SinisterDeath

The shot of the Fade turning his head to look at the camera -

Spoiler

that makes me think of the scene in the book when Rand is carrying Tam on the litter through the woods and a group of shadowspawn pass by on the Quarry road. If I remember correctly a Myrddraal stops and looks in their direction

Not saying that's what the shot is from...just made me think of that ?

Edited by mogi68

8 minutes ago, Zyxthior said:

I liked it.  I wish we could get a still picture of a Trolloc though....it's always blurred because of movement or just slightly out of focus (like the scene with the Myrddraal approaching).

The more I see the Myrddraal...the more I  like it the design.

We get a pretty good look at the Trolloc on the new poster from yesterday, but yeah, I want a full-body shot haha

What I like about the Myrddraal is that it looks sorta normal from afar, just a black cloaked rider with creepy vibes, then as you look closer you start to notice its unnatural coloring and the lack of eyes and the inhuman face... and then it opens its mouth, and it's straight out of a horror movie. The juxtaposition of terrifying monstrosity hidden under a human-like appearance hits that uncanny valley effect really well.

3 hours ago, Rose said:

We get a pretty good look at the Trolloc on the new poster from yesterday, but yeah, I want a full-body shot haha

What I like about the Myrddraal is that it looks sorta normal from afar, just a black cloaked rider with creepy vibes, then as you look closer you start to notice its unnatural coloring and the lack of eyes and the inhuman face... and then it opens its mouth, and it's straight out of a horror movie. The juxtaposition of terrifying monstrosity hidden under a human-like appearance hits that uncanny valley effect really well.

yes, that's why i liked the new design even though some are criticizing it. it conveys the right feelings.

well, those trollocs look wonderful. even if the show was a complete failure, it would still give me a good, clear picture of how to imagine trollocs for the next reread

Guest Wolfbrother31

Oh my... Best promo yet. 

Love the Shadowspawn. 

Very well done. 

And... I think perhaps they've cast Lanfear! 

Very excited for this. I think they nailed the design on Fades and Trollocs. Even better than LoTR orcs and Black Riders. 

'And you can't outrun a fade,' could be a killer Season 1 tagline, like Winter Is Coming. 

It's creepy, adequately fantasy-sounding without being too magicky, and it immediately makes even a casual viewer think 'Well, gosh, if you can't outrun it, what can you do?' 

100% Pie-in-the-sky speculation: they turn the Myrddraal into a main antagonist for Season 1 (maybe even causing some purposeful cross-confusion between Rand's early dreams of Ba'alzamon...could it be the fade? After all, you can't outrun a fade, even in your dreams) and when Rand and Mat get separated from the main group, it is that much more stressful because they still have Big Bad Fade #1 hunting them down, and now Moiraine and Lan are not around to protect them.

Later, at the Eye of the World, instead of the two Forsaken popping out of nowhere, Big Bad Fade #1 finally catches up to Rand and the gang and they finally manage to kill it. And we're all so happy! But then Rand looks over the valley (or wherever they happen to be; I can't quite remember how this part plays out) and sees the Trolloc ARMY amassing at Tarwin's Gap, with like 50 Fades! And we all go, 'Ooooooh Snap!' And the newbie-viewer freaks out, wondering how our heroes could ever possibly stop 50 fades, when it took a whole season just to kill one! And then Rand goes Berserker with the Power from the Eye, wipes them all out, and after the smoke clears, his own friends are looking at him like he's the monster... and that finishes off the season.

Guest Wolfbrother31
12 hours ago, Borderlander said:

100% Pie-in-the-sky speculation: they turn the Myrddraal into a main antagonist for Season 1

I think that's legit. When I first read EoTW as a kid - the Fade chasing them & Trollocs WAS the initial bad guy...and Shadar Logoth was so...

Ghost town creepy. 

Mix in Padan Fain acted well ...

We can get by mostly without Forsaken in S1. But got to have me some Lanfear in S2; and I think they have cast her, either that or Faile?!

Check this out - talking about the one in the middle -

https://images.app.goo.gl/Fp6LA1iWuGhpNCbt7

Edited by Wolfbrother31

Guest redgiant

I don't see how you look at this clip and pronounce them as 'terrifying' or 'better than LOTR orcs'.

What I see is an odd set of wobbling creatures, which they seem bent on hiding a full-on view of.

I get no impression that these creatures can run fast, and their barrel-shaped bodies look more like World of Warcraft owl beasts then a lean, muscular, dangerously quick adversary to be afraid of.

I expected more of an athletic, muscular neck and torso look. I'll reserve judgement until I get a full-on look at them and their movement.

Edited by redgiant

5 hours ago, redgiant said:

which they seem bent on hiding a full-on view of.

the last poster released has a full view of a trolloc face. when i say they look good, that's my main reference.

if we want to withold judgment about them moving, i can agree we haven't seen them move much except for small, split-second clips.

if we want to talk about the feeling they evoke, that's highly subjective. I don't find them fearsome, but neither I did the lotr orcs.

But fear is built more by reputation and deeds than by aspects. I wouldn't find a nazi brigade fearsome either, if I didn't knew what it represent and what it stands for.

I don't see how you look at this clip and pronounce them as 'terrifying' or 'better than LOTR orcs'.

I'd be terrified if I saw one in real life. On screen... I mean, what is terrifying on screen anymore, these days? We've all seen a gazillion monsters... even as cool as the Fade is, I'm not terrified. I smiled when I saw it. But I do think these trollocs look like the kind of brutal, stinking, soulless manimal that would absolutely rip your arm off and start chewing on it like a cob of corn while you bled to death in front of it. As for 'better' than LOTR orcs... Not better, nor worse—just different. And we won't be able to really judge the believability of the make-up until we see more.

What I see is an odd set of wobbling creatures, which they seem bent on hiding a full-on view of.

Yeah, they have a bit of a wodgy feel to me, too, but I think that is based more on their pudgy faces and maybe one shot of them marching (waddling?) next to the Fade's horse... there just isn't enough footage to judge by. And is that because the showrunners are determined to hide something....? Well, a week ago, we had zero trolloc footage. I'd like to see more, too, but they should keep some of it under wraps for the show. Almost all films with monsters save the visual reveal for the moment on screen when the monsters actually show up—that's like 90% of what makes any given monster scene work, since we all know it's people in makeup or CGI. They've got to maintain some element of surprise for the shock of seeing these stunt men in shaggy costumes invade Emond's Field and start ripping people's limbs off.

I get no impression that these creatures can run fast, and their barrel-shaped bodies look more like World of Warcraft owl beasts then a lean, muscular, dangerously quick adversary to be afraid of.

I expected more of an athletic, muscular neck and torso look. I'll reserve judgement until I get a full-on look at them and their movement.

You don't have to have Superman's physique to be quick and agile. Imagine seeing a silverback gorilla in the wild—they're lumpy, stoop-backed, and look a little slow-witted, but they could chase you down in about 2 seconds and rip you to pieces without breaking a sweat. I know the books have trollocs described as 7 or 8 feet tall, and it does not look like we're getting that (except maybe that one Narg-like boss-trolloc raising his arms up?) but a 6-foot-tall (plus the horns) beast-like minotaur-mutant with arms like the Rock, horns and tusks and wicked-looking axes forged on the black hills of Shayol Ghul, with gorilla-like strength and rabid ferocity, undoubtedly stronger and quicker than almost everyone in any sleepy village except the young, athletic men and women in their prime, led by a Fade with a mouth like Dracula mated with a lamprey, that's a pretty substantial threat. Making the trollocs 12 inches taller or more athletic-looking might make them more scary (and, realistically, nearly impossible fro anyone but a Warder or channeler to fend off) but is it necessary? 

I just hope we don't have any chees-bucket scenes where some Old Lady conks a trolloc on the head with a barstool or a wooden spoon and it goes down, because TV. Even these barrel-chested, wobbly abhorrations should be able to utterly decimate a village like Emond's Field without any real resistance (other than Tam, Lan, and Moiraine fighting back.)

36 minutes ago, Borderlander said:

I just hope we don't have any chees-bucket scenes where some Old Lady conks a trolloc on the head with a barstool or a wooden spoon and it goes down, because TV. Even these barrel-chested, wobbly abhorrations should be able to utterly decimate a village like Emond's Field without any real resistance (other than Tam, Lan, and Moiraine fighting back.)

Isn't this exactly what Alsbet Luhhan is said to have done?